Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peko on Bengals attitude
(05-17-2017, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Peko is just another in a long line of respected former Bengals to take some shots after they leave.

They can't all be wrong, right?

Yep - The Bengals best players over the years: Pickens, Joseph, Smith, Dillon, Palmer, Chad Johnson, etc all get villified after they leave for speaking out about how things were here.

When you don't win a playoff game in 26+ years...it's definately an organizational culture issue. Don't think that isn't in the players heads.
Reply/Quote
I actually don't have a problem with Peko saying that. I don't think he's necessarily saying a super bowl wasn't the goal in Cincy, plenty of players have said it has been the goal. Just taking it one step at a time. We haven't won a playoff game in nearly 3 decades, it absolutely should be a goal. You win one playoff game, then win another, then another and so on... I like the "take it one game at a time" approach, that's how you win championships IMO. Denver saying their goal is the super bowl isn't uncommon, that's obviously the main thing every team shoots for. In Cincy, we just have a certain huge weight we have to get off our back...
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well Peko is right about the mindset and we are right about him being washed up and being part of the problem when he was here.

These mediocre players are the type we should of been upgrading, not holding onto far past their prime.

In a sense, that's what Peko is talking about. The Bengals had a Top 3 roster for a couple years...and instead of investing every dollar into putting a winner on the field...management stayed status quo (retaining Lewis, not cutting washed up players and upgrading at Center, etc.)

The result: 5 straight playoff appearances with 5 straight losses.

Good enough to make the playoffs. Not good enough to win.

Certainly not good enough to win a Super Bowl. Usually not good enough to beat good teams in Primetime games.

Next year will be our year...
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think a lot of you guys are kind of missing the point of what he was saying/what the topic is about. 

This isn't about Peko and his role on those teams, its about the attitude of the franchise and what they consider a "success". Yeah, Peko was part of those teams but that doesn't mean he shared the same attitude or was the sole reason for that attitude.

Yeah, i got off point i must say.

(05-17-2017, 03:24 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I give Marv a lot of crap, but you can't tell me for a second that Marv and his staff go around saying there goal is to win a playoff game. I mean, really. I put this into him hearing all the noise from the fans and media about it, and got sick of it.

I don't believe Marv said that either. Just us losing Playoff game after Playoff game under him made the media, fans
and even players acquire this mindset i am pretty sure.

(05-17-2017, 03:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Precisely!

It's the same attitude that the fanbase has. We don't talk about winning Super Bowls. We talk about making the playoffs and winning 1 game.

When you haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years...that makes sense.

True.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep - The Bengals best players over the years: Pickens, Joseph, Smith, Dillon, Palmer, Chad Johnson, etc all get villified after they leave for speaking out about how things were here.

When you don't win a playoff game in 26+ years...it's definately an organizational culture issue. Don't think that isn't in the players heads.

Well that's certainly true. It's sad that some our fanbase can't see the big picture. Do people think they just ***** and moan for no reason? Newsflash: the people in charge here suck, ladies and gentlemen.

I'll never understand why people get so upset when players speak out. If anything, you shouldn't blame them. Hate on the players all you want, they're not the ones running a franchise of futility.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In a sense, that's what Peko is talking about. The Bengals had a Top 3 roster for a couple years...and instead of investing every dollar into putting a winner on the field...management stayed status quo (retaining Lewis, not cutting washed up players and upgrading at Center, etc.)

Certainly not good enough to win a Super Bowl. Usually not good enough to beat good teams in Primetime games.

A few of those appearances relied on other teams losing to get in.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In a sense, that's what Peko is talking about. The Bengals had a Top 3 roster for a couple years...and instead of investing every dollar into putting a winner on the field...management stayed status quo (retaining Lewis, not cutting washed up players and upgrading at Center, etc.)

Cannot argue with any of this.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If they admit it or not, can you imagine anything different than wanting to win a playoff game? He is undisputedly the worst coach in the playoffs. It can't even be argued any differently without a 12 pack and a freaken wild imagination?

He wouldn't be a head coach in the NFL if he didn't have a competitive drive. There's just no way he goes into a season with a "let's win a playoff game" mentality. It's just silly to think that honestly
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:39 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well that's certainly true. It's sad that some our fanbase can't see the big picture. Do people think they just ***** and moan for no reason? Newsflash: the people in charge here suck, ladies and gentlemen.

I'll never understand why people get so upset when players speak out. If anything, you shouldn't blame them. Hate on the players all you want, they're not the ones running a franchise of futility.

I was always a Peko hater Pat, atleast when he was on the field.

Off the field he is a great man.

I will be VERY surprised if he is even better than average at stopping the run this year in Denver...
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In a sense, that's what Peko is talking about. The Bengals had a Top 3 roster for a couple years...and instead of investing every dollar into putting a winner on the field...management stayed status quo (retaining Lewis, not cutting washed up players and upgrading at Center, etc.)

So peko is complaining we didn't cut him sooner? Players are the ones on the Field... Peko is a DT we have been ran all over in our playoff games.. what was he doing? Good for the team stuff like running onto the field from the bench during the Pitt playoff game.? If this came from someone playing at a high level I would listen more closely.
Reply/Quote
This would carry more weight to me if it came from a good player like Zeitler or Whit. Peko has been below average (putting it nicely) for quite some time. It's not like he played lights out in any of the playoff games. The only memory I have of him in the postseason is him running onto the field to push an opposing player while wearing his cape.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: So peko is complaining we didn't cut him sooner?   Players are the ones on the Field... Peko is a DT we have been ran all over in our playoff games.. what was he doing?  Good for the team stuff like running onto the field from the bench during the Pitt playoff game.?    If this came from someone playing at a high level I would listen more closely.

Yeah he has sucked in the Playoffs, it is a bit rich coming from one of the guys that was one of the reasons for our playoff failures.

Like i said, the coaches and particularly Marv were the bigger problems, but he is a player, play better before you talk shit.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:39 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well that's certainly true. It's sad that some our fanbase can't see the big picture. Do people think they just ***** and moan for no reason? Newsflash: the people in charge here suck, ladies and gentlemen.

When I post stats about how most of the NFL has won 5+ playoff games since the Bengals last won a playoff game...a decent percentage of the board argues with it. They defend the Bengals strategy.

ZERO playoff wins in 26+ years.

People talk about it being bad matchups. How they would have beat some playoff teams. Circumstances. Conspiracies. etc.

You don't fail to win a playoff game for 26+ years in a league were most teams have won 5+ and some teams have won 19+ based on bad luck.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 04:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When I post stats about how most of the NFL has won 5+ playoff games since the Bengals last won a playoff game...a decent percentage of the board argues with it. They defend the Bengals strategy.

ZERO playoff wins in 26+ years.

People talk about it being bad matchups. How they would have beat some playoff teams. Circumstances. Conspiracies. etc.

You don't fail to win a playoff game for 26+ years in a league were most teams have won 5+ and some teams have won 19+ based on bad luck.

It is a culture no doubt.

I am afraid this won't end either sadly until MB passes on and even then we don't know if Katie is any better.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 04:25 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This would carry more weight to me if it came from a good player like Zeitler or Whit. Peko has been below average (putting it nicely) for quite some time. It's not like he played lights out in any of the playoff games. The only memory I have of him in the postseason is him running onto the field to push an opposing player while wearing his cape.

That was hilarious. I dont know why, but I laugh every time I see that video. 

I agree about Peko, though. You also have to wonder how much "sour grapes" comes into it... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 04:25 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This would carry more weight to me if it came from a good player like Zeitler or Whit. Peko has been below average (putting it nicely) for quite some time. It's not like he played lights out in any of the playoff games. The only memory I have of him in the postseason is him running onto the field to push an opposing player while wearing his cape.

Zeitler and Whit both went to different teams that are struggling big time. Whit wanted paid and Zeitler has said he believes in what Hue is building.

Other players have said things that were good on this team. Such as Jonathan Joseph. Joseph even gave more of an inside look as to what the Bengals do. He talked about how Houston's owner was different and how the inside of that organization was different than Cincy.

Terrell Owens even brought up issues with the team. Saying their coaching on offense was struggling. Quoted by saying “Offensively, we really didnt have the coaching we needed[url=http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/18/to-on-bengals-woes-it-starts-from-the-top-down/?module=HP_headlines][/url] to muster what we had on the offensive side of the ball.” and “I’ve made a comment about if you’re trying to win some championships, it starts from the top down,” Owens said. “[Sapp] mentioned Mike Brown; I think even before I got there, they said the owner was a little different. Obviously, I saw that.”

Even Willie Anderson has talked about how the team is!

Even guys on the TEAM have had questions. Such as Giovani Bernard and Carlos Dunlap.

When you have more than one player/former player saying something, then there's something.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Peko lost me forever when he ran onto the field in the last playoff game. How much did that do to the cause? If I remember right, it was on third down and kept a drive alive that ended in a TD. When a ten year vet pulls that big a boneheaded move, imo, he has lost the right to run his mouth forever. **** Peko.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 05:21 PM)McC Wrote: Peko lost me forever when he ran onto the field in the last playoff game.  How much did that do to the cause?  If I remember right, it was on third down and kept a drive alive that ended in a TD.  When a ten year vet pulls that big a boneheaded move, imo, he has lost the right to run his mouth forever.  **** Peko.

Yup,

Peko has cost us on a couple other occasions as well. Yelling hut, hut in the closing minutes of a game 3 or 4 years ago costing us a chance at a 3rd down stop. I've never bought to much into the Peko was the great leader narrative.

Glad he's gone !
Reply/Quote
He's right this team has a inferior identity complex. The fact is this team should have at least one championship during the Dalton Green era but Haven't why is it? Marvin is a good coach, the roster has been top notch since 11, and we have had some good assistant coaches on both sides of the ball during that time(4 current head coaches). It's confusing why we haven't​ had any significant success outside of regular season success.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 05:19 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Zeitler and Whit both went to different teams that are struggling big time. Whit wanted paid and Zeitler has said he believes in what Hue is building.

Other players have said things that were good on this team. Such as Jonathan Joseph. Joseph even gave more of an inside look as to what the Bengals do. He talked about how Houston's owner was different and how the inside of that organization was different than Cincy.

Terrell Owens even brought up issues with the team. Saying their coaching on offense was struggling. Quoted by saying “Offensively, we really didnt have the coaching we needed[url=http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/18/to-on-bengals-woes-it-starts-from-the-top-down/?module=HP_headlines][/url] to muster what we had on the offensive side of the ball.” and “I’ve made a comment about if you’re trying to win some championships, it starts from the top down,” Owens said. “[Sapp] mentioned Mike Brown; I think even before I got there, they said the owner was a little different. Obviously, I saw that.”

Even Willie Anderson has talked about how the team is!

Even guys on the TEAM have had questions. Such as Giovani Bernard and Carlos Dunlap.

When you have more than one player/former player saying something, then there's something.

Yep. And this can go on for the next umpteen years and some fans will continue to defend the organization.

At the start of the season, teams shoot their arrow at a target called 'the Super Bowl.' The Bengals are like every other team in the NFL. This organization has been so inept for so long of a time that we moved the target to 'playoff appearances' because they don't want to invest in winning it all.
Reply/Quote