Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Perine is better than Mixon
(12-07-2022, 03:49 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: "he had five touchdowns the last time he played.”

im just correcting Zac. Mixon went 7 for 20 last time he played

He meant full game so he’d be right
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Considering that the OL has been playing better and better as the season goes on I'm not going to say Mixon isn't as good just yet. Perine has been playing fantastic the last couple of weeks. We'll see how Mixon plays. We should definitely split carries between the two,but give the heavier load to Mixon. Keeping both of their legs fresh, especially late in the season/post season will be a huge boon for us IMO. Having two RBs that have been balling out is a great problem to have.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2022, 04:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bengals RBs last 6 games

Mixon
54 carries, 258 yards (4.8), 5 TDs
3.06 yards after contact average
7 missed Tackles Forced
17 catches, 165 yards, 1 TD

Perine
57 carries, 252 yards (4.4), 1 TD
3.11 yards after contact average
8 missed tackles forced
20 catches, 157 yards, 3 TDs

It's pretty oblivious that the running back production is directly correlated to the OL performance and scheme change.

I had just seen this tweet from Goodberry. Which has all the same stats as you posted. Yeah I think the overall blocking has gotten better and Mixon has proven he is one of the top backs in the league when the blocking is good. Perine is also a good back and while the two might not be a true thunder and lightning to compliment each other they are both capable of being the every down back.
Reply/Quote
Hey Guys and Gals, this is a good problem to have at the point in the season.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2022, 06:55 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Hey Guys and Gals, this is a good problem to have at the point in the season.
Yeah.

Not too long ago, just about ANYBODY that hit the waiver wire was an upgrade to someone on Cincy's roster.

I like seeing guys getting cut around the league and thinking "Don't need him. Let someone else sign this wash-up".
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:52 AM)Roland Wrote: Corey Dillon was a better back than Rudi ever was.  His problem in 2003 had everything to do with attitude and very little to do with ability (or even injuries). Dillon had become a distraction at a time when the team was trying to start from a clean slate.

Mixon is nothing like that.  By all accounts, he's been nothing but a consummate teammate - a guy that broke records just a few games ago. You want to set him aside for a guy who has just been a capable substitute?

A lot has been made of the fact that Rudi broke Dillon's season rushing record, but he did it on more carries.  He came nowhere near Dillon's career numbers in spite of playing on better Bengal teams than Dillon ever did.  In the year that Rudi broke his record, Dillon out-rushed him for the Patriots on his way to winning a Super Bowl ring.

...and that one year with the Pats was the only great year CD had left in the tank. This isn't about who had the better career. We made the correct choice to move on to Rudi even if CD wasn't injured or ticked off.

I am a huge fan of CD but he didn't have much left at that point.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Like to see some plays with both of them in the back field. Old time fullback and 1/2 back. Running and passing plays. Think it would work out good. Don’t think it is in ZT play book.
Reply/Quote
Brian Callahan today: Obviously, we love
Joe. There's nothing
Joe has done wrong
for us carrying the
ball. As a runner, he's
been really good." Not just good, but
best in the league
when it comes to
rushing efficiency,
which is the top
priority for the
Taylor/Callahan
offense.
Since Week 5, Mixon
has a league-leading
rush success rate of
53.9 percent.
Atlanta's Cordarrelle
Patterson (52) and
Miami's Jeff Wilson
(52) are the only other
backs above 50
percent. Mixon ranks
second in total rush EPA (expected points
added) at 13.77,
behind Dallas' Tony
Pollard (18.45). And
he's seventh in yards
per carry at 5.01.
So it's easy to see why
the Bengals are
shutting down any notion of Mixon
losing his starting job,
regardless of how well
Perine has performed
in the lead-back role.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

As anticipated, Mixon is still RB1 according to Taylor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Goodberry is smarter than that, throw out Mixon's anomalous game this season (the single game he had over 100 yards) and now give us the stats.

6 games 54 carries, 258 yards (4.8), 5 TDs
becomes
5 games - 31 carries, 103 yards (3.1), 1 TD

That's more like the Mixon we've known this season. Let's see what happens against the Browns 22nd ranked rush defense.

And that seems to be the difference, Perine is a little more consistent. Those chunk run plays added up quick, I'd like to see Mixon get multiple 7-9 yard rushes per game the rest of this season. Here's hoping he does that, playing at a high level consistently is what we need. We ought to start running on 3rd and short now, we did a few times with Perine to success.

I think this league is what have you done for me lately regardless.

A median yards per carry instead of average yards per carry is probably the stat we want.
Reply/Quote
I like Mixon and I believe he's a more dynamic player in the passing game than Perine. Perine isn't exactly chopped liver there, either.

My issue with Joe is that he has zero desire to pass block. He's a complete liability in that aspect of his game.

I'd give Mixon a chance to start, make him the first and second down back, then bring Perine in on 3rd as they always have. If Joe can't produce, gradually increase Samaje's workload giving him more and more possessions as the feature back.

Mixon gives a defense something to fear as a dynamic offensive weapon. Unfortunately for him, he's 3rd or 4th down the list in that category on the roster. Samaje gives the defense something to fear as a player that looks like zero fun to tackle. He can wear down a defense if he gets enough carries. Without a loaded box, which is something I don't expect the Bengals to see much of, he's devastating. I don't think he's a better athlete than Joe, but I do feel like he fills a role that Joe can't or isn't willing to in terms of physicality.

If I'm really honest, I admit that I have some fear of how feeling obligated to give Mixon carries as a primary back impacts the game plan that's been so effective against good teams for the last 2 weeks.
Reply/Quote
Mixon should be short leashed.

If he keeps dancing and misses blocks/blitzes... you put him back on the sidelines.

No time to lose to the Stains to appease just one player.

I hope Mixon makes me eat my words.

I'm a Bengals fan that wants the team to win.

That is all.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 09:35 AM)samhain Wrote: I like Mixon and I believe he's a more dynamic player in the passing game than Perine.  Perine isn't exactly chopped liver there, either.  

My issue with Joe is that he has zero desire to pass block.  He's a complete liability in that aspect of his game.  

I'd give Mixon a chance to start, make him the first and second down back, then bring Perine in on 3rd as they always have.  If Joe can't produce, gradually increase Samaje's workload giving him more and more possessions as the feature back.

Mixon gives a defense something to fear as a dynamic offensive weapon.  Unfortunately for him, he's 3rd or 4th down the list in that category on the roster.  Samaje gives the defense something to fear as a player that looks like zero fun to tackle.  He can wear down a defense if he gets enough carries.  Without a loaded box, which is something I don't expect the Bengals to see much of, he's devastating.  I don't think he's a better athlete than Joe, but I do feel like he fills a role that Joe can't or isn't willing to in terms of physicality.

If I'm really honest, I admit that I have some fear of how feeling obligated to give Mixon carries as a primary back impacts the game plan that's been so effective against good teams for the last 2 weeks.

Great post Sam. Pretty much what you said is the way I feel about the whole RB situation. ThumbsUp

(12-10-2022, 09:37 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Mixon should be short leashed.

If he keeps dancing and misses blocks/blitzes... you put him back on the sidelines.

That is all.

Damn rights. Cool
Reply/Quote

That is all.

I think much of Mixon's dancing perception comes from the previous wide zone running scheme which requires the running back to choose a hole or cutback.  The current inside gap run scheme is a hit the hole hard or bounce out design.

I have zero justification for his beyond awful passing blocking skills.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 07:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think much of Mixon's dancing perception comes from the previous wide zone running scheme which requires the running back to choose a hole or cutback.  The current inside gap run scheme is a hit the hole hard or bounce out design.

I think you are right Casear, I hope so and Mixon continues his play against the Panthers into this game because like BengalsRocker 
said, no time to lose to the Stains to appease just one player. Also, I want to see much more desire from him to pass block which is 
my main criticism of Mixon. If he shows some desire to pass block I am all good with him being the main back on 1st and 2nd down 
and then bringing in Samaje on 3rd downs. 

Just cannot take away the obvious though, when Samaje is in the game we are less predictable because no one knows if we are 
going to run or pass. With Mixon early in the season we were very predictable because we were going to run when he was in and 
that was obvious.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 07:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think much of Mixon's dancing perception comes from the previous wide zone running scheme which requires the running back to choose a hole or cutback.  The current inside gap run scheme is a hit the hole hard or bounce out design.

Yeah I think it's mainly a blocking problem over Mixon dancing. On some plays there's one free unblocked player and I've seen Mixon do a delayed jump cut in order to get the unblocked player commit to the wrong gap. But on a play where Mixon gets tackled by 2 or 3 guys that's not product of him dancing too much that's just a poorly blocked play. But I agree on his poor pass pro but with the line playing better hopefully that will make his job easier. But this is a game where we may need to help on the edge so it may be a good game to ease Mixon back in while giving Perine a good amount of reps.
Reply/Quote

Yes, I absolutely understand how that can affect the RBs actions.

The run blocking was atrocious as well early on in the season.

I don't necessarily want Mixon to give up patience either.

Quickly hitting the hole can be a good thing especially for short yardage bursts.

Yet you don't want your RBs being impatient and missing lanes that are better suited and letting the second-level blockers have time to setup.

I'm very anxious about this upcoming game and hope Mixon excels and it just wasn't an anomaly performance we witnessed from the Panthers game.

If he struggles, our team doesn't have the luxury of letting him continue when we have a more than capable back standing there on the sidelines.

I want Joe to be the RB we all need him to be.

Injury free, kicking ass, and flushing those Browns down!!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I like that perine hurts and intimidates when he runs. He just runs through people sometimes. That would seriously wear down a defence.

I feel like Mixon is usually just an unlucky ankle tap away from breaking out.

I like them both, but I trust perine to get the extra yard or two and bully the opposition more than Mixon can. But oftentimes bench players can't sustain good form once they're given the job.

Happy to have Mixon back and starting and let's see how it plays out.
Reply/Quote
It’s a Dallas Pollard vs Elliott problem.

It would be fun to see some 2 RB sets. It would be something not shown from the Bengals before. Since both of them are really good receivers it could be an added twist while Hurst is out.

Regardless of what the rest of the season holds, Samaje will be the big winner. His stock has dramatically risen as he heads into free agency. He will receive offers to go elsewhere.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

That is all.

I think this is fair. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote