Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Perine
Perine should be cut just for that poor effort he gave on the 4th and 1 play when he let the ball bounce at his feet when the Super Bowl was on the line.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-play-aaron-donald-s-pressure-on-burrow-seals-super-bowl-lvi-win-for-r
Reply/Quote
I’d always want my second back to be different from the first. Let Evans be that guy or find someone else.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I agree. I thought he looked good. 

What was his 40 time at the combine? Is he really that slow? 

He ran a 4.50 at the combine and a 4.44 at his pro day. Basically mirrors Joe Mixons numbers and Perine clocked a 4.66. Evans showed some promise catching the ball early in the season and really seemed to have a knack for picking up the 1st down on his limited opportunities. But after his little injury and missed time we stopped using him altogether. That may have been due to his kickoff duties. 

Really would've liked to see what he could've done with more opportunities.
Reply/Quote
I agree he should be gone. Evans will be a big Time player for us.

We should be able to find a bell cow type back late in the draft or as an undrafted free agent!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We are a Super Bowl contender, he should have to compete for touches. Ideally, they do well in FA and can draft a back in the mid rounds. Then you let the 3 battle for touches behind Mixon and maybe all of them stick or you have real depth.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 01:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perine is ok at some things, but not what you'd expect for such a big RB.
The guy had the same YPA as Chris Evans (4.5), which was higher than Mixon's (4.1).
He's also a pretty solid receiving RB, putting up 27 receptions on 31 targets in a backup role.
But what he does seem to struggle with is getting the first down on those 3rd-and-1 and 4th-and-1 carries, which you wouldn't expect for a 240 lb RB.
Obviously, part of that comes down on the fact the IOL never gets push at the LOS, but you'd think Perine could get enough steam with that mass to almost always gain a yard.

With all that said, I think there are other RBs who can do as well or better that could be cheap or a draft pick.
If looking at the draft, I like Brian Robinson from Alabama to fill Perine's role.
I doubt we get him but it would be hilarious if we got Brian Robinson Jr. Because my name is also Brian Robinson Jr. 
Reply/Quote
The only real issue I have with Perine is his lack of allusiveness.. In a straight line he's a great runner, but once his path needs altered all bets are off.. That pass and run against KC wasn't chopped liver.. I'm kind of surprised he wasn't used in a fullback type of usage more than he was. He is a big, strong guy who can bull his way with speed, but not much lateral movement.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 07:12 AM)Bengals-Man12345 Wrote: I doubt we get him but it would be hilarious if we got Brian Robinson Jr. Because my name is also Brian Robinson Jr. 

You'd have to get his jersey in that case.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dude averaged about 4.5 YPC last year and barely makes over league minimum. Absolutely no problem with keeping him.

There's more to it than YPC.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:31 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Not when he's taking the handoff from the shotgun standing still.

Since he starts running from the exact same spot then he should create the exact same momentum.  Getting the handoff closer o the line of scrimmage has nothing to do with his momemtum.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 12:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since he starts running from the exact same spot then he should create the exact same momentum.  Getting the handoff closer o the line of scrimmage has nothing to do with his momemtum.

Unless it's a draw, the RB has already normally taken a couple steps toward the LOS by the time he receives the handoff from the QB- assuming the QB is lining up under center.  He doesn't wait for the QB to get to him.
Reply/Quote
I actually think Perine will be a cap casualty this year based on his 1.5 million salary. We should be able to get a late round RB, or at worst an UDFA to compete as our 3rd RB, for

Hassan Haskins-RB (Michigan) 6'1 220

Kennedy Brooks-RB (Oklahoma) 5'11 215

-both look like 6-7 rd guys
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2022, 12:39 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Unless it's a draw, the RB has already normally taken a couple steps toward the LOS by the time he receives the handoff from the QB- assuming the QB is lining up under center.  He doesn't wait for the QB to get to him.

Why would you assume that about the Bengals?
Reply/Quote
Per Rotowire:
Compared to Mixon, Perine has a higher percentage of broken tackles, higher average yards after contact, higher yards per run, and the longest run this year, which was a TD.

I'd like to see more of Chris Evan too, but I'd also like to see the Bengals mix it up more. If Mixon was in the game, he ran it 42% of the time and was targeted as a receiver another 7%. So basically the defense could expect Mixon to get the ball half the time he was in the game. Perine and Evans ran or were targeted at a more reasonable 33%.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2022, 12:39 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Unless it's a draw, the RB has already normally taken a couple steps toward the LOS by the time he receives the handoff from the QB- assuming the QB is lining up under center.  He doesn't wait for the QB to get to him.

But he’s still accelerating from the same spot so should hit the line at the same speed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2022, 03:08 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: I actually think Perine will be a cap casualty this year based on his 1.5 million salary. We should be able to get a late round RB, or at worst an UDFA to compete as our 3rd RB, for

Hassan Haskins-RB (Michigan) 6'1 220

Kennedy Brooks-RB (Oklahoma) 5'11 215

-both look like 6-7 rd guys

I like this thinking. Don't forget about Jerom Ford out of UC as well. I think he's projected as a later round pick. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dude averaged about 4.5 YPC last year and barely makes over league minimum. Absolutely no problem with keeping him.

I agree. Let Chris Evans get his shot and Perine and him switch touches. Trey Smith the Chiefs rookie starter at guard was stellar this year. They need a corner but boy don’t spend a pick on a running back. Spend it on the OL.
Reply/Quote
I have yet to see the reverse angle on this pass to Perine...was it really catchable?? It appears it was from the angle everyone is seeing.
But yes, even a dive from him to attempt a catch would have been a better look on that play. Just wondered if Evans was in there what would outcome have been??
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:42 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Bingo.  Probably my biggest issue with Zac is his fondess of the shotgun in short yardage situations.  He was doing it with Dalton as well, so it's not a Burrow thing.

Shotgun runs perform better in short yardage situations than under center runs do. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 01:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm usually not that "guy" when it comes to bringing old Bengals players back, but what about...

Bringing Gio back on a 1 year contract around 1 million? Great pass blocking back, great pass catching back, really good on short yardage stuff. Pair him with Evans to spell Mixon.

He is more reliable and a great team fit as well. I'd do this in a heartbeat.

People should stop worrying about how others perceive their opinions. Just because a guy is a former Bengal doesn't automatically = you're dumb for possibly wanting him back, and I think the vast majority of people are pretty rational about our former players.

All that said, in this case I think I'd rather just find someone new. Tbh, Perine had a better year than Gio, who only touched the ball 49 times in 14 games in Tampa, and averaged 5.3 per catch in regular season. Gio turns 31 in November.

I think we'd be better off drafting a guy. Or sticking with Perine, who wasn't as bad as people are saying, IMO. He was barely used in the playoffs, and sure he made a couple mistakes, but we wouldn't have made the Super Bowl without his 41 yard TD catch, either.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote