Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Perine
(03-01-2022, 07:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He isn't bad, but he isn't nearly as explosive as Evans, nor is he the receiving threat.  I LOVE Evans....and I hope he gets more practice reps and a bigger role. 

Dude ALWAYS contributed on teams as well.  I love his heart and his athleticism.  Wait until he takes a screen against the Rats early next year to the house and everyone will jump on board. 

Absolutely. I think he should have gotten a bit more run. Kid was elite coming out of HS and had a heck of a freshman year at Mich. as an all around back. He got hurt more than once and then had both academic issues and off the field issues which really slowed his progress. Add in a lost season in 2020 with Covid and I think he was a heck of a pick in the 6th.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 10:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He was not open in the sense of Joe under pressure and delivering the ball.. hell he short hopped it 5 or so yards, hell Perine is open too... how in gods name is going to send it 30 yards.. lol

Yeah, Joe had no time to get the ball to any open Receiver on that play. The OL made sure of it.

(03-02-2022, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not going to bash Evans, but I don't understand all the love and hype he gets around here. He did nothing in college to justly it.

Reminds me of when everyone was loving on Adeniji for his amazing footwork.

Evans played great his freshman year at Michigan. What are you talking about?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 05:49 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I get that people will see what they want to see, but there is no way in hell Perine is getting that. That is significantly further away from him than I thought it was. From the broadcast view, it looked like it landed at his feet. Looking at this here, he had no chance. That ball is a good 7-8 feet away from him. 

The broadcast view does look like it landed at his feet.  This is an interesting view although I would like to see the video instead of a freeze frame.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Joe had no time to get the ball to any open Receiver on that play. The OL made sure of it.

Anyone that says Evans hasn't done anything hasn't done their homework.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:42 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Perine should be cut just for that poor effort he gave on the 4th and 1 play when he let the ball bounce at his feet when the Super Bowl was on the line.  

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-play-aaron-donald-s-pressure-on-burrow-seals-super-bowl-lvi-win-for-r

Totally agree.... DIVE FOR IT! At least ATTEMPT to catch it!
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not going to bash Evans, but I don't understand all the love and hype he gets around here. He did nothing in college to justly it.

Reminds me of when everyone was loving on Adeniji for his amazing footwork.

I agree with this. 

Evans made one big time play this year against the Lions. Other than that, he barely saw the field. He did play well on special teams though, but thats not what we are talking about. 

I'm not sure Evans is the answer at backup RB either. I just haven't seen enough to feel super confident in him being the backup this year. 

Remember guys, the standard is a SB. We arent out here rebuilding and seeing what we have in some of these guys. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 10:17 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Totally agree.... DIVE FOR IT! At least ATTEMPT to catch it!

Yeah, that ball may have been uncatchable but I just need to see more effort on that. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 09:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Anyone that says Evans hasn't done anything hasn't done their homework.  

For sure, Fred just ignores his freshman season like it didn't happen.

(03-03-2022, 11:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I agree with this. 

Evans made one big time play this year against the Lions. Other than that, he barely saw the field. He did play well on special teams though, but thats not what we are talking about. 

I'm not sure Evans is the answer at backup RB either. I just haven't seen enough to feel super confident in him being the backup this year. 

Remember guys, the standard is a SB. We arent out here rebuilding and seeing what we have in some of these guys. 

This is fair. At least you are basing your thoughts on Evans on what he has done in the pros Weezy.

Fred said he did nothing in college which is completely false.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure, Fred just ignores his freshman season like it didn't happen.

This is fair. At least you are basing your thoughts on Evans on what he has done in the pros Weezy.

Fred said he did nothing in college which is completely false.

In the pros, he had 77 yards on 17 carries, a 4.5 YPC average.  He also had 15 receptions for 151 yards and 2 TDs.

Granted, that is a very limited sample size, but he was .4 YPC higher than Mixon and 2.5 more YPR than Mixon.  For comparison, Perine had a 4.5 YPC average, and a 7.3 YPR average.  

Perine scored twice (one rush and one reception) in 83 touches (2.4%)
Evans scored twice (both receptions) in 32 touches (6.3%)
Mixon scored 16 times (thirteen rushing, three receiving) in 336 touches (4.8%)

I think, in addition to his special teams plays, Evans showed that he is a tough runner with great routes, hands, and speed.  He got a little opportunity and made the most of it.  Furthermore, he was very good in blitz pick up.  Not everyone realized that was a strength of his coming out of college.  
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 03:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: In the pros, he had 77 yards on 17 carries, a 4.5 YPC average.  He also had 15 receptions for 151 yards and 2 TDs.

Granted, that is a very limited sample size, but he was .4 YPC higher than Mixon and 2.5 more YPR than Mixon.  For comparison, Perine had a 4.5 YPC average, and a 7.3 YPR average.  

Perine scored twice (one rush and one reception) in 83 touches (2.4%)
Evans scored twice (both receptions) in 32 touches (6.3%)
Mixon scored 16 times (thirteen rushing, three receiving) in 336 touches (4.8%)

I think, in addition to his special teams plays, Evans showed that he is a tough runner with great routes, hands, and speed.  He got a little opportunity and made the most of it.  Furthermore, he was very good in blitz pick up.  Not everyone realized that was a strength of his coming out of college.  

Nice. Thanks for this SHRacer. I knew I wasn't just blind in liking what I saw from Evans in flashes. Actually on the blitz 
pickup that was the main reason why I liked the pick in the first place. Evans was very good at this as a freshman at 
Michigan and think he will only get better which makes him a valuable RB.

Doesn't matter how good of a RB you are if you cannot pick up the blitz in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Sign James Conner, 2 years/$13M. Release Perine. Sleep like a baby.

Yes, it will cost more. Upgrades usually do.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 05:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Sign James Conner, 2 years/$13M. Release Perine. Sleep like a baby.

Yes, it will cost more.  Upgrades usually do.

$6.5 million for a BACK UP running back?

You can't be serious.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Evans played great his freshman year at Michigan. What are you talking about?

(03-03-2022, 09:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Anyone that says Evans hasn't done anything hasn't done their homework.  

(03-03-2022, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure, Fred just ignores his freshman season like it didn't happen.

Evans was a part time back up his freshman year.  He only carried the ball 88 times in 13 games.  614 rushing yards against college competition is far from "great".
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Evans was a part time back up his freshman year.  He only carried the ball 88 times in 13 games.  614 rushing yards against college competition is far from "great".

Those aren't the stats I saw when we drafted him, did he play in his sophomore year?

All I remember is he had a big year in one of his Michigan seasons. I could be wrong but it was much better than what you say here.

And I know how you would keep those stats to yourself the way you like to skew things in your favor...
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 11:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Remember guys, the standard is a SB. We arent out here rebuilding and seeing what we have in some of these guys. 

Thankfully, RB is one of the least important positions when it comes to team success. I am pretty high on Evans due to his receiving ability but in reality, it won't really matter who the back-up is in regard to achieving a SB victory or appearance.
Reply/Quote
I’m fine with keeping Evans and Perine and Mixon as the RB room

Just give Evans all of Perines snaps

The line should block better so we likely won’t need the extra blocking help on 3rd and longs anyway
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Evans was a part time back up his freshman year.  He only carried the ball 88 times in 13 games.  614 rushing yards against college competition is far from "great".

I didn't isolate the freshman year, but since you brought it up, Evans had 94 touches and 701 yards with 4 TDs.

His college career he had 369 touches, 2274 yards, and 17 TDs.  And, I'm sorry Fred, but in the Big 10 if you average 7 YPC like Evans did his Freshman year, that is pretty great. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Joe had no time to get the ball to any open Receiver on that play. The OL made sure of it.

You could argue that he wasn't "great" because the most yards he ever put up in a season was 842.
Many would say you need to put up 1000+ to even be considered.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't isolate the freshman year, but since you brought it up, Evans had 94 touches and 701 yards with 4 TDs.

His college career he had 369 touches, 2274 yards, and 17 TDs.  And, I'm sorry Fred, but in the Big 10 if you average 7 YPC like Evans did his Freshman year, that is pretty great. 

Yes sir SHRacer, this is what I saw. That is pretty damn good anyway. Cool

(03-08-2022, 03:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You could argue that he wasn't "great" because the most yards he ever put up in a season was 842.
Many would say you need to put up 1000+ to even be considered.

Okay fair enough. Still, it isn't doing "nothing" in college like Fred said.
Reply/Quote
Just talked to somebody that would definitely know. He says Perine plays on every special team and is the best short yardage runner and has better upper body strength than Evans or Perine. Evans not as good between the tackles. He’s cheap too.
Reply/Quote