Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piano Man getting snarky
(02-16-2022, 04:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ideally, if you had the money to do so, you'd keep guys like Reiff and Hopkins as backup players. Then you're set.

will they drop the 3 Draft picks they made last year to make room for people that can help? or will they become the hope for the future... lol
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: Bingo! Reiff is a perfect swing Guard/Tackle and Hop is a great backup / short span starter at Center. And I am not saying Carman, Smith or Hill are busts - far from it. All are raw and it takes time to develop linemen properly. 

Really?  The Chiefs started two rookies all year and they looked great.   Bengals just draft the wrong guys.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ideally, if you had the money to do so, you'd keep guys like Reiff and Hopkins as backup players. Then you're set.

Hopkins will count 7.1 million against the cap next year.  No thanks.  Cut him and use that money on a real starter.  

If you are paying backup OLINEman 7+ million a year then your development is a joke.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 06:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: will they drop the 3 Draft picks they made last year to make room for people that can help? or will they become the hope for the future... lol

I'd probably move on from a couple, at least. Maybe not the three from last specifically, but guys like Johnson, Adeniji, etc.

(02-16-2022, 06:29 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Hopkins will count 7.1 million against the cap next year.  No thanks.  Cut him and use that money on a real starter.  

If you are paying backup OLINEman 7+ million a year then your development is a joke.

That's why I had the caveat of if you had the money (or Hopkins was cheaper). The development thus far has not been good, so there's that point too. Still, I'd probably try to keep Reiff as a swingman, depending on his price, cut bait on one or two, maybe see if Hop would restructure, otherwise he's likely gone, unless FA doesn't work like they want it too. I know KC started a couple rooks, but look at the two big FAs they signed to play along with them. What the Bengals have been doing obviously hasn't worked, so they better get to a different strategy.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 06:26 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Really?  The Chiefs started two rookies all year and they looked great.   Bengals just draft the wrong guys.

Really they started 3 rookies. Lucas Ming was a 2020 draftee but opted out because of COVID. He got 9 starts before landing on IR. Yes, we did terrible drafting.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 06:29 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Hopkins will count 7.1 million against the cap next year.  No thanks.  Cut him and use that money on a real starter.  

If you could have Ryan Jensen for 10 million or Hopkins for 7 million who are you taking?  Thats the thing some of our fans keep forgetting when they talk about us not having money to sign several free agents on the O line.  Signing someone like Jensen isnt going to be a 10 million hit to your salary cap when you are making room for him by releasing someone that would be making 7 million.  Same thing for replacing Spain with Connor Williams.  Its not going to be a 6 million hit to the cap.
Reply/Quote

Agree with this 100%, but may or may not be monetarily feasible.

Yet never was very high on Spain like many are on here though

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
What is this post about and why did Paul say this?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 07:24 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Really they started 3 rookies.  Lucas Ming was a 2020 draftee but opted out because of COVID.  He got 9 starts before landing on IR.  Yes, we did terrible drafting.

Thta is like saying that every team that can't find a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round is "terrible at drafting" because of Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 07:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote:   Signing someone like Jensen isnt going to be a 10 million hit to your salary cap when you are making room for him by releasing someone that would be making 7 million.  Same thing for replacing Spain with Connor Williams.  Its not going to be a 6 million hit to the cap.

Wrong.  Spain currently counts zero dollars against our cap.  If we pay $6 million for his replacement then that is $6 million off our available cap space.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Move to another spot on the line or move as in seek a trading partner?

Another spot. Jonah is better than he gets credit for here. I wouldn’t want to trade him. If he’s your best player on the OL that’s less than ideal, but if he’s just a solid piece on an average to slightly above average OL than you’re in good shape.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think Armstead would be a bad move, personally.  He will command $20+ mil a season and has never played 16 games.  He's missed 48 games during his career.

But he’s probably the best OT in this year’s FA . If we concentrate on OG and roll with Reiff again at RT we’re in the same boat (pretty much guaranteed to miss some time).

That is a lot of games missed though.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 02:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Another spot. Jonah is better than he gets credit for here. I wouldn’t want to trade him. If he’s your best player on the OL that’s less than ideal, but if he’s just a solid piece on an average to slightly above average OL than you’re in good shape.

I'm also a Jonah fan and think he'd thrive if surrounded by better talent. 
Reply/Quote
dont worry the line is fine its zacs piss poor play calling thats the issue

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/16/zac-taylor-defends-bengals-offensive-line-says-he-can-call-better-plays-to-improve-protection/

apparently
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 10:28 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: dont worry the line is fine its zacs piss poor play calling thats the issue

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/16/zac-taylor-defends-bengals-offensive-line-says-he-can-call-better-plays-to-improve-protection/

apparently

This is always going to be Zac's approach when talking about on field play, his players, and his coaching staff. Zac maintains a calm, collected demeanor and maintains professionalism when answering questions. He doesn't show much emotion and places accountability on himself above others. It's admirable, but can be a tad frustrating when wanting to know more specific details about what's going on with the team. I like Zac's approach to leadership so I'm ready to roll with how he publicly communicates for the long haul.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 10:28 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: dont worry the line is fine its zacs piss poor play calling thats the issue

apparently

Do you honestly see Zac as the type of coach to call out his players to the media? 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 10:46 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Do you honestly see Zac as the type of coach to call out his players to the media? 

yes i watched the first 2 years of his career here.

this is the first i see him call himself out though
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:04 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: yes i watched the first 2 years of his career here.

this is the first i see him call himself out though

What players did he call out his first 2 years?

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 12:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Thta is like saying that every team that can't find a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round is "terrible at drafting" because of Tom Brady.

That’s is an example of some bizarre tortured analogical theory if I have ever heard one. Hilarious.

The Bengals have completely missed on 11 of their last 12 picks. Carman, Smith, Hill, Adeniji, Jordan, Price, Taylor, Westerman, Ogbueli, Fisher and Bodine. That’s a lot of sucking. Two first rounders, two second rounders and some day 2 and day 3. They also haven’t found a gem in the UDFA market. And the thing is, I didn’t really like any of those picks. Many weren’t even scheme-appropriate picks either. So no, this isn’t anything like picking the GOAT QB in round six. It’s about finding quality starters (and even a pro-bowl appearance or two) that can contribute for years.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:28 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: That’s is an example of some bizarre tortured analogical theory if I have ever heard one. Hilarious.  

The Bengals have completely missed on 11 of their last 12 picks.  Carman, Smith, Hill, Adeniji, Jordan, Price, Taylor, Westerman, Ogbueli, Fisher and Bodine.  That’s a lot of sucking. 

How depressing.   Even a blind squirrel finds nuts.

Except for the Bengals drafting OLineman.
Reply/Quote