Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Pick the next HC
Joe brady or brandon staley for me
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 03:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If - and it's a big if - Zac is let go at the end of the year, the Bengals will be searching for another head coach. Here's a list of names to choose from. Pick 5 guys you would want interviewed to be the new Bengals head coach. Once there's enough choices, we'll figure out the top 5 and then have a poll to pick who we would want as the new HC.

Eric Bieniemy (OC Chiefs)
Arthur Smith (OC Titans)
Greg Roman (OC Ravens)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Brian Schottenheimer (OC Seahawks)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Jay Gruden (OC Jags)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Byron Leftwich (OC Bucs)
Joe Brady (OC Panthers)
Harold Goodwin (AHC Bucs)
Duce Staley (AHC Eagles)
Dan Campbell (AHC Saints)
Jim Caldwell (Former HC Lions, Colts)

Robert Saleh (DC 49ers
Matt Eberflus (DC Colts)
Dennis Allen (DC Saints)
Wink Martindale (DC Ravens)
Raheem Morris (IntHC Falcons)
Steve Spagnuolo (DC Chiefs)
Jack Del Rio (DC WFT)
Todd Bowles (DC Bucs)
Patrick Graham (DC Giants)
Brandon Staley (DC Rams)
Leslie Frazier (DC Bills)
Vance Joseph (DC Cards)
Andre Patterson (Co-DC Vikes)
Dan Quinn (Former HC Falcons)

Jim Harbaugh (HC Michigan)
Pat Fitzgerald (HC Northwestern)
Matt Campbell (HC Iowa St)

Even though I am not in favor of hiring a defensive minded coach, I'll add one to my list. My only other "requirements" is they are not retreads (previous HC).

Robert Saleh
Joe Brady
Nick Sirianni 
Eric Bieniemy
Greg Roman
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 05:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They had him and then Mike Brown fired him within 4 months of inheriting the team.

Dumb decision
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hmm, these guys seem to feel differently:

Well I don't think current coach and players would say he's crappy.

As to the OP: I want experience after 2 years of Doogie

Jack Del Rio. Maybe he'll bring  Vanessa with him
Vance Joseph
Brian Billick (not listed)
Tom Cable (not mentioned)

Matt campbell
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 06:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dumb decision

See the part of my post where I said "Mike Brown".

Hilarious  ... Mellow  .... Cry

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I would like Caldwell.

What the Chiefs said abut Bieniemy sounds great.

I also think Schottenheimer's son is intriguing.

But it wont be an improvement or worth the trouble unless the new guy can hire his own staff and they get someone with brains and real experience running the personnel department . . . making draft picks, and signing free agents.

The Bengals need to sign a lot of quality college free agents this year. They don't have enough picks ( because they didn't trade various veterans when they had some value last year or before the season) and need a lot of bodies and competition in 2021 training camp.

The current team is terrible and needs a complete makeover and lots of competition at each position in training camp.
Reply/Quote
Matt Eberflus
Matt Campbell
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
My requirement is someone with HC experience and a quality list of assistant coaches ready to hire, neither of which we got with Zac.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: “When you get a guy like EB, who puts in the time, who is a great leader of players and men and somebody that can really control and have a presence in any room he walks in, you understand why these other teams are looking at him to be their head coach. And so we obviously are focused on our goal right now, but we know, with who he is and how he operates, that he’ll have the opportunities to go places and continue to have success.”

I think the biggest difference is the mentality,” Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce said on the #PFTPM podcast in late September regarding the transition from Nagy to Bieniemy. “Coach Bieniemy brings a fierce, aggressive mentality to the offense. Kind of a gritty, punch-you-in-the-mouth-type of mindset, and I think that has rubbed off on everybody, from Pat [Mahomes] throwing the ball aggressively down field. The play calling is a little bit more aggressive and, sure enough, everybody getting the ball has been a north runner. There’s not too much running sideways. Everybody’s getting downhill trying to finish the plays in the end zone.”

Well, as I said in another thread the skills needed to be a coordinator are different from the skills needed to be a head coach.  So even if his success as a coordinator is based a lot on Reid and Mahommes, he still may have the skills needed to be a head coach.

Being a head coach is more about motivation, managing personalities, organization, earning respect, maintaining authority, and things like that.  It helps to have a good head for scheme, but some of the best coordinators have been complete flops as head coaches.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well, as I said in another thread the skills needed to be a coordinator are different from the skills needed to be a head coach.  So even if his success as a coordinator is based a lot on Reid and Mahommes, he still may have the skills needed to be a head coach.

Being a head coach is more about motivation, managing personalities, organization, earning respect, maintaining authority, and things like that.  It helps to have a good head for scheme, but some of the best coordinators have been complete flops as head coaches.

From everything I've read and heard, those 2 things seem to be givens with him...things that everyone seems to point to. Then, there's his involvement in play design and game planning, which I don't think he gets enough credit for.
Reply/Quote
Joe Brady and it's not even close. This guy is the next big thing in the NFL world. An offensive genius...
Reply/Quote
Eric Bieniemy
Joe Brady
Jim Harbaugh
Greg Roman
Matt Eberflus

Reply/Quote
Hard no on Joseph. I live in Denver and his seasons here no one liked him at all and cursed the Bengals for letting him go to the Broncos. He was definitely in over his head with that role and program. That experiment just ended a couple of years ago and I don't know that he's somehow grown the skills to give it another go after such a short time.

Some names I can think of that I'd be okay with:

Jason Garrett
Jim Caldwell
Jack Del Rio (largely because of his tenure in the League and connections to bring in coordinators)

Matt Eberflus (with a GM)
Pete Carmichael (with a GM)
Lincoln Riley (with a GM)
PJ Fleck (with a GM)

The first group of guys I didn't say must have a GM (though I still see tremendous value in it) because they've been in the league long enough they should have the connections to bring in solid coaching talent around them and know how to work with a FO. That would go far for them, and is really the only reason I have any of them on the list, honestly. If the Bengals won't budge on firing Tobin, I think any guy without experience and connections is going to have a hard time out of the gate, and maybe even still a couple of years down the road.

The second group of guys don't necessarily have that, being coordinators, being less experienced or being in college. I think a GM would be critical to their success in building out the rest of the staff and managing the FO. And if we're going down that road, I'm really intrigued to dip into the college market. I see the same names surface over and over through the league of coordinators bouncing around and all these guys who "deserve to be a HC" and would love to see some of these guys from college come in. But it's a change, and I don't think they'd do well without having an experienced guy at GM to help guide the ship.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 03:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If - and it's a big if - Zac is let go at the end of the year, the Bengals will be searching for another head coach. Here's a list of names to choose from. Pick 5 guys you would want interviewed to be the new Bengals head coach. Once there's enough choices, we'll figure out the top 5 and then have a poll to pick who we would want as the new HC.

Arthur Smith (OC Titans)
Greg Roman (OC Ravens)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Brian Schottenheimer (OC Seahawks)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Jay Gruden (OC Jags)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Byron Leftwich (OC Bucs)
Joe Brady (OC Panthers)
Harold Goodwin (AHC Bucs)
Duce Staley (AHC Eagles)
Jim Caldwell (Former HC Lions, Colts)

Robert Saleh (DC 49ers
Matt Eberflus (DC Colts)
Dennis Allen (DC Saints)
Wink Martindale (DC Ravens)
Steve Spagnuolo (DC Chiefs)
Jack Del Rio (DC WFT)
Todd Bowles (DC Bucs)
Patrick Graham (DC Giants)
Brandon Staley (DC Rams)
Leslie Frazier (DC Bills)
Vance Joseph (DC Cards)
Andre Patterson (Co-DC Vikes)
Dan Quinn (Former HC Falcons)

Jim Harbaugh (HC Michigan)
Pat Fitzgerald (HC Northwestern)
Matt Campbell (HC Iowa St)

Eric bienemy
Siriani
Daboli
Eberflus
Saleh
Reply/Quote
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I’m not so sure about bienemy. We’re seeing the results of someone that ‘doesn’t call the plays’ right now. We don’t have time to waste as far as I’m concerned. They have to hit it out of the park this time. HAVE TO!

Since we’re talking about coaches ... um ... JDR is doing a fine job with that Washington defense. That’s a well coached team. Very well coached. Coulda been us.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 09:32 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote:  JDR is doing a fine job with that Washington defense. That’s a well coached team. Very well coached. Coulda been us.

No it could not have been us.

Del Rio would not even give us an interview.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 09:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it could not have been us.

Del Rio would not even give us an interview.

This is true. Doesn’t mean what I said isn’t.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 05:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Which is interesting because while I wasn't very old when Wyche was the HC, I recall clips of him being very vocal and fiery. You'd think the organization would want to get a HC like Wyche.

Well, Mikey ran Sammie outta town, so.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
How about the KC locker room attendant? KC is playing well and anyone associated with them is a offensive genius. It worked for us 2 years ago. Why not now.
Reply/Quote