Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Pick the next HC
(12-08-2020, 11:10 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: How about the KC locker room attendant? KC is playing well and anyone associated with them is a offensive genius. It worked for us 2 years ago. Why not now.

Bad take. Other than a 1 year stint at Colorado, Bieniemy has been coaching in the NFL since 2006. Including AHC in Minnesota at one point. He’s paid his dues, and should absolutely get an opportunity somewhere.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well, as I said in another thread the skills needed to be a coordinator are different from the skills needed to be a head coach.  So even if his success as a coordinator is based a lot on Reid and Mahommes, he still may have the skills needed to be a head coach.

Being a head coach is more about motivation, managing personalities, organization, earning respect, maintaining authority, and things like that.  It helps to have a good head for scheme, but some of the best coordinators have been complete flops as head coaches.

So, wait...

The people on the inside, coaches and players--people that know him, who he is and what he's about--you don't trust their opinions and their words; you'd rather form your own opinion based on...nothing but your opinion. You don't trust people that do the job he does, people that have done the job he does and people that watch others that do the job he does. You prefer to go on what you believe the job is.

Did i get that right?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 05:55 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I would actually hire an older coach this time around.

I would hire Mike Shanahan as HC to a 3 year, with 2 year option, deal.

Hire Mike Martz as passing game coordinator.

Hire a young offensive coordinator, that you can train to be HC, when Mike Shanahan retires.

Hire Willie Anderson to coach offensive line.

Hire Jeff Fisher to coach defense.

Hire Kris Richard to DB coach.

FYI - Fisher wants to be a HC again. Pretty sure he won’t do anything else at this point. His name is being tossed around for Vanderbilt.
Reply/Quote
Nick Sirianni
Joe Brady
Dan Campbell
Robert Saleh
Todd Bowles

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 03:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If - and it's a big if - Zac is let go at the end of the year, the Bengals will be searching for another head coach. Here's a list of names to choose from. Pick 5 guys you would want interviewed to be the new Bengals head coach. Once there's enough choices, we'll figure out the top 5 and then have a poll to pick who we would want as the new HC.

Eric Bieniemy (OC Chiefs)
Arthur Smith (OC Titans)
Greg Roman (OC Ravens)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Brian Schottenheimer (OC Seahawks)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Jay Gruden (OC Jags)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Byron Leftwich (OC Bucs)
Joe Brady (OC Panthers)
Harold Goodwin (AHC Bucs)
Duce Staley (AHC Eagles)
Dan Campbell (AHC Saints)
Jim Caldwell (Former HC Lions, Colts)

Robert Saleh (DC 49ers
Matt Eberflus (DC Colts)
Dennis Allen (DC Saints)
Wink Martindale (DC Ravens)
Raheem Morris (IntHC Falcons)
Steve Spagnuolo (DC Chiefs)
Jack Del Rio (DC WFT)
Todd Bowles (DC Bucs)
Patrick Graham (DC Giants)
Brandon Staley (DC Rams)
Leslie Frazier (DC Bills)
Vance Joseph (DC Cards)
Andre Patterson (Co-DC Vikes)
Dan Quinn (Former HC Falcons)

Jim Harbaugh (HC Michigan)
Pat Fitzgerald (HC Northwestern)
Matt Campbell (HC Iowa St)
1.)Eric Bieniemy- understands Mike Brown, hard nose guy, comes from the Andy Reid system.
2.) Robert Saleh- his defenses always have impressed me and seems like his players love him.
3.)Raheem Morris- seems like he has learned a lot since his Tampa days.
4.)Joe Brady-  his relationship with Joe makes him a candidate alone
5.) Marvin Lewis- everyone is going to piss & moan about this but the guy is the only one that has had any success with this organization ,he is good at rebuilding teams, and he can bring in a great coaching staff.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Jim Harbaugh.

Jay Gruden is a Mike Brown realistic type of hire, and frankly, he'd look like Sam Wyche compared to Zac Taylor and his crew of flunkies.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think we miss out on what most say is the top choice in Saleh. I think he ends up going to Houston.

I think the Lions grab Harbaugh.

I would be really happy if we could grab Bieniemy. Then grab a proven DC like Bowles. But again, we likely miss out on the top candidate.

Edit: Sorry I meant Dan Quinn for DC. I wanted Bowles last year. He got snatched up quick. Same likely happens here.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 05:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, he was very fiery and a big personality...and Mike's first major decision after taking over was to fire him and hire the mild-mannered Dave Shula.

The crazy part about that is Sam was fired after going 3-13, yet after Shula went 3-13 in his 2nd season (2 less wins than his 1st year), he was given a 2 year extension. Mellow

Excellent point.

A lot of folks wanted zimmer promoted (including me). I was also big on Shanahan. But I don't think mike wants that kind of fired up coach. I think that's why he liked shula and marvin. He likes guys that are more laid back.

As to the OP, I think for those hoping for a change this year, gruden is probably the most likely. From what I've read, mike liked him. Personally he's not my first choice, but I'd be ok with it.

But I really think ZT is back for at least the first half season.
Reply/Quote
Bienemy
Daboll
Eberflus
Matt Campbell

Honestly, I can't even think of a 5th option, but I'd be happy to be just be rid of Zac. However, barring the rest of the season being an absolute meltdown, I don't know if the FO even fires Zac. It sounds like they plan on changing the majority of the assistants. We'll at least have a new defensive staff. We have to.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 02:25 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bienemy
Daboll
Eberflus
Matt Campbell

Honestly, I can't even think of a 5th option, but I'd be happy to be just be rid of Zac. However, barring the rest of the season being an absolute meltdown, I don't know if the FO even fires Zac. It sounds like they plan on changing the majority of the assistants. We'll at least have a new defensive staff. We have to.

Man, only in Bengals land could an owner/front office say they're trying to win - with a straight face - while bringing back a coach with a .141 win % (if they lose out). The fact that this is even real possibility is both comical as hell and sad as shit. 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 11:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, wait...

The people on the inside, coaches and players--people that know him, who he is and what he's about--you don't trust their opinions and their words; you'd rather form your own opinion based on...nothing but your opinion. You don't trust people that do the job he does, people that have done the job he does and people that watch others that do the job he does. You prefer to go on what you believe the job is.

Did i get that right?

Being fair, Zac Taylor has said a lot of nice things about a lot of crappy players and coaches this year. Hell, McVay said a lot of nice things about Zac Taylor.  Head coaches who don't say good things about their assistants in the media have problems getting quality assistants.

People in the KC organization endorsing Bienemy is like people in the Bengals organization endorsing Bobby Hart.  All it really means is that he hasn't done a bad enough job or pissed anyone off enough for them to publicly bury him in the media.
Reply/Quote
Jim Harbaugh - Ve need ze Catholic Disciplinz
Derrell Bevell - Cerebral.  Doesn't seem to be a huge rah rah or intimidator type, but could probably go toe to toe with the best of them in the x's and o's department.
Don Martindale - Deep rolodex.  Anthology of fart jokes.
Gary Kubiak - If he wants to be a HC again?  Duh.
Bieniemy - He'd be a risky hire, but I wouldn't hate it.  Is he like a Pats assistant in that he needs the strong background infrastructure in order to shine?  Or was he instrumental in building the prolific Mahomes offense in the first place?  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 11:59 PM)Montana Bengal Wrote: FYI - Fisher wants to be a HC again. Pretty sure he won’t do anything else at this point.  His name is being tossed around for Vanderbilt.

His name has been tossed for Vanderbilt since 2017 by fans, since 2018 by papers and has continued every year since then and to my knowledge he has not received a total of zero calls.

It's possible that they finally make the call and he'd definitely take it but I'm not sure if they want him

I guarantee he takes DC if we call, if he likes money.

To my knowledge he has yet to receive a call since 2016, when fired by the Rams.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
My instinct is to look to the College ranks as I feel that's where an awful lot of the innovation is, however I don't know enough to suggest names and who would be realistic. Presumably for example there's a reason why Luke Fickell isn't mentioned as he's local and seems to have done a terrific job.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 07:12 PM)Tony Wrote: Joe Brady and it's not even close. This guy is the next big thing in the NFL world. An offensive genius...

Intriguing that's for sure.

What scares me a little is the college mindset mentality with a guy like Brady and a QB like Burrow.  That stuff doesn't work in the NFL.  Exposing your QB like dumbass Taylor did is a recipe for disaster.  My fear is Brady would do the same because that's how they were successful at LSU.

Maybe not though.  At this point I'll take anything.  We have a great new franchise QB and I'm not exited at all about the Bengals going into next year because of the coaching situation.  How bad is that!
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 09:23 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: My instinct is to look to the College ranks as I feel that's where an awful lot of the innovation is, however I don't know enough to suggest names and who would be realistic. Presumably for example there's a reason why Luke Fickell isn't mentioned as he's local and seems to have done a terrific job.

People don't want him to leave UC (even though it's all but given in a few years).

I'd take Fickell though.  For sure.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 11:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, wait...

Did i get that right?

Let me get this straight.

If current Bengal players who know Taylor, who he is and what he is about support him as head coach then you will believe them and support keeping taylor as our head coach?
Reply/Quote
Jay Gruden
Matt Campbell
Darren Simmons
Jack Del Rio
Vance Joseph

Joseph and Simmons either hasn’t been a head coach or we’re not successful as a head coach so they are at the bottom of my list. We need a proven head coach who has demonstrated they can win and/ or taken an organization to another level. Matt Campbell has done both of these twice. He would be my number one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 03:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If - and it's a big if - Zac is let go at the end of the year, the Bengals will be searching for another head coach. Here's a list of names to choose from. Pick 5 guys you would want interviewed to be the new Bengals head coach. Once there's enough choices, we'll figure out the top 5 and then have a poll to pick who we would want as the new HC.

Eric Bieniemy (OC Chiefs)
Arthur Smith (OC Titans)
Greg Roman (OC Ravens)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Brian Schottenheimer (OC Seahawks)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Jay Gruden (OC Jags)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Byron Leftwich (OC Bucs)
Joe Brady (OC Panthers)
Harold Goodwin (AHC Bucs)
Duce Staley (AHC Eagles)
Dan Campbell (AHC Saints)
Jim Caldwell (Former HC Lions, Colts)

Robert Saleh (DC 49ers
Matt Eberflus (DC Colts)
Dennis Allen (DC Saints)
Wink Martindale (DC Ravens)
Raheem Morris (IntHC Falcons)
Steve Spagnuolo (DC Chiefs)
Jack Del Rio (DC WFT)
Todd Bowles (DC Bucs)
Patrick Graham (DC Giants)
Brandon Staley (DC Rams)
Leslie Frazier (DC Bills)
Vance Joseph (DC Cards)
Andre Patterson (Co-DC Vikes)
Dan Quinn (Former HC Falcons)

Jim Harbaugh (HC Michigan)
Pat Fitzgerald (HC Northwestern)
Matt Campbell (HC Iowa St)

Since the superbowl years, this team has been ALWAYS focused on the offense, i say we start focusing on the defense, that got the squeelers and ratbirds some lombardies.
Reply/Quote
I would give Patrick Graham a serious look. He has been in the NFL for 11 years and is currently the DC and assistant head coach for the Giants. This is his first season there. The Giants defense has went from 24th in yards and 30th in points during the 2019 season to 10th in yards and 9th in points during the 2020 season. They are 5th in the league for total takeaways in 2020, compared to 30th in 2019.

Most of his tenure was in NE as a defensive coach (LB coach, DL, defensive assistant) and he helped develop Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich (Rob started seeing more play time in 2010, the year after Graham arrived in NE. From that point on until Graham left NE, Rob logged 41 sacks over six seasons), Jamie Collins (had arguably his two most productive seasons in 2014-2015, when Graham was the LB coach in NE).

Graham was with the Giants in 2016 and their defense was very stout against the run. This is when Damon Harrison broke out as a big time run stuffer, making the Pro-Bowl.

You can point to his one year in Miami as a negative, as they were the 30th ranked defense last year but they were also very young and Graham left because NY requested to hire him on as a promotion. Flores wanted to keep him.
Reply/Quote