Poll: Who Will Be the Next Head Coach For the Bengals?
This poll is closed.
Zac Taylor
12.87%
13 12.87%
Eric Bieniemy
45.54%
46 45.54%
Shane Waldron
0.99%
1 0.99%
Vance Joseph
12.87%
13 12.87%
Darrin Simmons
4.95%
5 4.95%
Hue Jackson
11.88%
12 11.88%
Todd Monken
5.94%
6 5.94%
Vic Fangio
0%
0 0%
Pete Carmichael
0%
0 0%
Pat Fitzgerald
0%
0 0%
Dabo Swinney
2.97%
3 2.97%
Kris Richard
0.99%
1 0.99%
Lincoln Riley
0%
0 0%
Tom Herman
0.99%
1 0.99%
Mike McCarthy
0%
0 0%
Total 101 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Place Your Bets...
(01-06-2019, 02:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Coaches that have the intangibles to be the head guy don't need experience at a particular job to be successful further up the ladder. He's been a coach in one form or another for 17ish years. He also has endorsements from people in-the-know that he would potentially be a good HC.

All good points.  Plus Hue was a good OC.  Didn't make him a good HC.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: Taylor has 2 other interviews, the Cards and Broncos.  Even assuming one or both offered him the job, neither is necessarily a better option.

Arizona just fired their HC after only one year.  They just dropped a Top 10 pick on a bust QB in Josh Rosen whom they are probably going to give at least 2 more years to.  You are basically a lame duck out of the gate unless you can work a miracle with Rosen, not to mention the rest of the roster is pretty weak.  If it was a better job than the Bengals, Bienemy wouldn't have turned down the interview there.

In Denver, you have Elway to deal with, who just canned Joseph as a scapegoat for failing to find a QB.  He also canned Fox after a 12 win season for failing to win a SB.  You don't have a QB, and you're picking too far down the order to get one of the top prospects in a bad class without convincing Elway to trade up.

Boom!! This nails it, especially the QB issue. Andy takes alot of flack around here, but he can be a damn good QB (think 2015) when he gets protection. I think an offensive mind like Taylor would welcome the challenge of guiding the talent on this roster (and building on it) to a ring and a trophy. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 12:14 AM)Shady Wrote: Boom!! This nails it, especially the QB issue. Andy takes alot of flack around here, but he can be a damn good QB (think 2015) when he gets protection. I think an offensive mind like Taylor would welcome the challenge of guiding the talent on this roster (and building on it) to a ring and a trophy. 

Exactly right about Dalton, He was also the reason Van Pelt came here.
He said because the Bengals had Dalton, he wanted to work with an established QB
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:10 PM)McC Wrote: The ghost of Chris Henry says no.

Mike also forgave Pacman about 10 times.

Reply/Quote
I must admit, there are a lot of choices and the Franchise is at a critical crossroad. I hope the team gets this one right. I hope they get their first choice and I hope the new coach has the same latitude in selecting personnel, especially a voice on coaching personnel. The longer this goes, the better chance the new head coach will be external.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm guessing Taylor at this point based on the following...

He was the first outside candidate they requested an interview with, which means he was high on the initial list.

He has Cinci ties as a former Bearcats' OC.

He worked with Lazor in Miami.

They pushed the Bienemy interview to Saturday to see Zac and Waldron on Friday.

They took iniative to fly to LA to meet with him.

They didn't request the Monken interview until McDaniels turned them down, indicating he was not as high on their initial list.

If Simmons, Lazor, Hue, or Vance interviewed well enough to get serious consideration for the job, why even schedule another interview with Monken?

Good points. I'm still going with Lazor though. I have this sinking feeling that the Bengals are going to disappoint yet again. The Vegas odds (Lazor is the 2/1 favorite) and the interest in Kubiak as OC (which makes it seem a HC might be picked already) isn't helping change my mind. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 01:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good points. I'm still going with Lazor though. I have this sinking feeling that the Bengals are going to disappoint yet again. The Vegas odds (Lazor is the 2/1 favorite) and the interest in Kubiak as OC (which makes it seem a HC might be picked already) isn't helping change my mind. 

Broncos already said NO to Kubiak. They're keeping him, still in contract.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25696938/denver-broncos-blocking-teams-interviewing-gary-kubiak-offensive-coordinator-openings

"Kubiak is considered one of the top offensive coordinator candidates around the league. He still is under contract with Denver, and the Broncos can deny him from leaving."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:18 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:
Place Your Bets

Who will be the next Head Coach for the Cincinnati Bengals?  This list is not in any particular order.

I just have this sneaky feeling Joseph is going to be the guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 01:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good points. I'm still going with Lazor though. I have this sinking feeling that the Bengals are going to disappoint yet again. The Vegas odds (Lazor is the 2/1 favorite) and the interest in Kubiak as OC (which makes it seem a HC might be picked already) isn't helping change my mind. 

I don't get why people keep making this connection.  If anything, it points more to the HC being a defensive guy. 

Why is everybody ignoring the most simple explanation that maybe they just wanted Kubiak as the OC no matter who the HC will be?

To jump to the conclusion that they have already decided on one of the in-house turds means to also jump to the conclusion that they went through an elaborate ruse by going all the way to California.  Does that sound anything like Mike?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 01:21 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Broncos already said NO to Kubiak. They're keeping him, still in contract.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25696938/denver-broncos-blocking-teams-interviewing-gary-kubiak-offensive-coordinator-openings

"Kubiak is considered one of the top offensive coordinator candidates around the league. He still is under contract with Denver, and the Broncos can deny him from leaving."

I know. The denial doesn't change what the interest meant though.

(01-07-2019, 10:25 AM)McC Wrote: I don't get why people keep making this connection.  If anything, it points more to the HC being a defensive guy. 

Why is everybody ignoring the most simple explanation that maybe they just wanted Kubiak as the OC no matter who the HC will be?

To jump to the conclusion that they have already decided on one of the in-house turds means to also jump to the conclusion that they went through an elaborate ruse by going all the way to California.  Does that sound anything like Mike?

You don't hire the OC without input from the HC. At least you shouldn't. Especially considering 90% of their interviews have been with offensive guys. You really want Kubiak fighting with a new HC over what system to install? 

On the last bit, IF we're hiring an internal guy, I could see Mike faking his way through an "exhaustive search" to appease the dwindling fan base. 

At this point, I'm just hoping we're taking this long because the best candidates are still coaching. It does seem odd that no team has announced a hire yet. Seems the candidate pool isn't as exciting as years past. Idk for sure that the interest in Kubiak = interest in Lazor, but I also don't see why we'd put the cart before the horse. I'd think the interest in Kubiak at least means one of our top candidates wanted him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 03:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know. The denial doesn't change what the interest meant though.

You don't hire the OC without input from the HC. At least you shouldn't. Especially considering 90% of their interviews have been with offensive guys. You really want Kubiak fighting with a new HC over what system to install? 

On the last bit, IF we're hiring an internal guy, I could see Mike faking his way through an "exhaustive search" to appease the dwindling fan base. 

At this point, I'm just hoping we're taking this long because the best candidates are still coaching. It does seem odd that no team has announced a hire yet. Seems the candidate pool isn't as exciting as years past. Idk for sure that the interest in Kubiak = interest in Lazor, but I also don't see why we'd put the cart before the horse. I'd think the interest in Kubiak at least means one of our top candidates wanted him.

There's one way NOT to appease the fans and that is hire in house.  That will create an exodus never before seen.  Voices will echo in PBS.   I see Mike as a liar--reference all those times he yammered on about wanting a Lombardi--but to create an elaborated charade and then hire somebody in the building, I just can't see that.  And no one in their right mind would think fans would be fooled by such crapola.

This is crossroads time.  And the Browns know it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I don't want it to be, but I expect it will be, Vance Joseph.
Reply/Quote
I can't complain too much on whoever we hire as the guy I was the most interested in has already turned us down.

The fact that they are reaching out to a lot of these guys and interviewing them should be enough, however I have a feeling that if we don't hire the one the people on this board wants the most then Mike Brown will be blamed for "messing up" the selection.

The HC candidate I would like to see is Taylor out of the Rams org. The one I would be most annoyed with believe it or not is Bienemy.

BTW, just curious how people would feel about Urban Meyer as our next HC?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:03 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: I can't complain too much on whoever we hire as the guy I was the most interested in has already turned us down.  

The fact that they are reaching out to a lot of these guys and interviewing them should be enough, however I have a feeling that if we don't hire the one the people on this board wants the most then Mike Brown will be blamed for "messing up" the selection.

The HC candidate I would like to see is Taylor out of the Rams org.  The one I would be most annoyed with believe it or not is Bienemy.  

BTW, just curious how people would feel about Urban Meyer as our next HC?

What turns you off with Eric?  The current rookie quarterback has high praise for him.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What turns you off with Eric?  The current rookie quarterback has high praise for him.

So does the HC there.  So does the rest of the team.  So does Adrian Peterson.  Haven't really heard anybody say anything bad about him.

On a totally irrelevant note, he would certainly be the shortest HC in the league. 

And he will be a HC somewhere next year.  Might as well be here. 

The moral of the story is, if you work for Andy Reid, you will get your shot.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm guessing Taylor at this point based on the following...

He was the first outside candidate they requested an interview with, which means he was high on the initial list.

He has Cinci ties as a former Bearcats' OC.

He worked with Lazor in Miami.

They pushed the Bienemy interview to Saturday to see Zac and Waldron on Friday.

They took iniative to fly to LA to meet with him.

They didn't request the Monken interview until McDaniels turned them down, indicating he was not as high on their initial list.

If Simmons, Lazor, Hue, or Vance interviewed well enough to get serious consideration for the job, why even schedule another interview with Monken?

This.

Not saying it's what I want, but it's what I expect for the reasons you list.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 11:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Never.  

I’m thinking Gregg Williams.  Cleveland stupidly won’t retain him.

The Bengals would never hire Williams.   Never.
Reply/Quote
I didn’t see a choice for Paul alexander. He has more playoff wins than Marvin and the bengals in 20 years
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What turns you off with Eric?  The current rookie quarterback has high praise for him.

Almost everyone we interview will have high praise from someone.  Hue just got high praise from Marvin.

Eric strikes me as a guy that was in a good situation and not as the architect of that situation.  Reid is an offensive genius and Mahomes got away with a lot of plays that coaches don't like (unless your the defensive ones that have to play against him, next year will be the true test.)

Eric had a top tier RB for most of the season, top tier TE, decent WRs and an extremely fast gadget guy that Reid just finds way to get the ball to.  Not a bad OLine providing good protection and that is a recipe for any OC to look like a great candidate.

The same thing actually applies to Taylor as well so that makes me hesitant to be happy or excited about him.

However out of the 2, I feel Taylor has done more with less.  McVay turned out to be a great coach, but a lot of his success was due to the people he had around him including Taylor.  McVay spoke very highly of Taylor and even mentioned that Taylor has a way of communicating that is both receptive and firm. 

The gift of the silver tongue is the mark of a great leader.

Compare that with Eric and I get the feeling that Reid wouldn't be as hurt losing Eric as McVay would Taylor.  Basically Eric didn't actually build the success that the Chiefs found this year or even really improve it, but Taylor did assist McVay in turning the Rams into the team they are today.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 10:25 AM)McC Wrote: I don't get why people keep making this connection.  If anything, it points more to the HC being a defensive guy. 

As shake already touxhed on, it would be very unusual to hire an oc before the hc. That's completely backwards. Like picking out what brand of tires you're getting before knowing what type of vehicle. Kubiak may be great, but if his style and the hcs are completely different, or their personalities are, it won't matter.

Im still leaning towards thinking lazor is the guy, unless someone from the final interviews just wows them. 
Reply/Quote