Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players at 8/31 practice/waiver claims/transactions
(09-01-2022, 10:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a good chance that Zac gave a favorable endorsement of Pryor to his brother. Although it's a business sometimes coaches like to do what's best for the player. If KP can make the 53 in Jax but not here, I'd have 0 problem with Zac selling him to Jax.

Il's not like Jax is now going to challenge us for the AFC Crown because they got KP and we don't have him on our PS

considering the team was just about to sign Pryor to the PS, he was literally in the locker room, I doubt this happened

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, plus we took Asiasi over OJ Howard. All I got on this guy is the Patriots wanted him back. 

Hope he was the better option.

Which is why we should of kept Pryor on the roster over Trayveon...

Asiasi hasn't played much in the NFL yet, but in his final year at UCLA in 2019, he put up 44 receptions for 641 yards and 4 TDs.
His college career YPR was 15.2.

The downside? He's only 6'3".
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Zac was joking about yelling at his brother.

C'mon people.

Yeah, not "you stole my girlfriend!" but more "Hey, Press, I ordered the pizza, paid for it, brought it back, and then you ate most of it!" Half joking. Half serious. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It makes no sense for him to inquire unless he was just calling to say that he was snatching him...which probably pissed Zac off. 

If Taylor wants him, he's not going to say "oh yeah, he showed some real promise during preseason. good luck with him!".

This.

(09-01-2022, 06:51 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Sounds like Leatherwood is an even worse bust than Carman. Hopefully Jackson can sit on the bench, heal, learn, grow, and get stronger and play a backup role and compete for a starting spot down the road.

Leatherwood is way worse. He was the worst OL I saw this Preseason BY FAR.

(09-01-2022, 07:30 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tate to me had a better Preseason than Pryor, , I think Pryor makes the team in that same period of time when Tate.did, and Tate would not have made the team now either..

To each his own. Pryor was much more consistent, good in every game and was much crisper in his routes and not slow
as molasses like Auden Tate always was.

(09-01-2022, 10:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

But it still sucks losing him. 

Who knows ? Perhaps Lassiter will set the PS WR world on fire ?

Could happen, I like Lassiter a lot too, just not the drops.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 11:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Asiasi hasn't played much in the NFL yet, but in his final year at UCLA in 2019, he put up 44 receptions for 641 yards and 4 TDs.
His college career YPR was 15.2.

The downside? He's only 6'3".

That is some production. Still ain't no OJ Howard in college, that is for sure.

And that is short for a TE, like Orson Charlesesh...
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:57 AM)pally Wrote: considering the team was just about to sign Pryor to the PS, he was literally in the locker room, I doubt this happened

Is there some sort of rule against it? We don't know when/if the brothers spoke; I'm merely stating if Press asked Zac about KP, I'm sure he'd give his recommendation for the benefit of the kid. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The issue with the WR room is outside of the top 3 they don't really have a Wide Receiver on the roster.

Michael Thomas and Stanley Morgan are Special Teams players not Wide Receivers. They offer nothing to the offense at all if one of the top 3 receivers miss significant time. Michael Thomas is a 6 year veteran and he has 28 receptions 328 yards 1 TD. Stanley Morgan in 3 seasons has 5 receptions for 29 yards. Trent Taylor is the best of the bunch with 81 receptions for 772 yards and 3 TDs but at 5'8 180lbs 4.63 speed he is a slot guy only that cannot backup Tee or Chase. Mostly his value is at punt returner.

That's the issue with the Wide Receiver group and why people were excited about Kendrick Pryor who showed some speed and route running this preseason. I'm the first person to say backup receivers need to play special teams because it's important but so is the balance between being a receiver and a special teams player.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 01:18 PM)Synric Wrote: The issue with the WR room is outside of the top 3 they don't really have a Wide Receiver on the roster.

Michael Thomas and Stanley Morgan are Special Teams players not Wide Receivers. They offer nothing to the offense at all if one of the top 3 receivers miss significant time. Michael Thomas is a 6 year veteran and he has 28 receptions 328 yards 1 TD. Stanley Morgan in 3 seasons has 5 receptions for 29 yards. Trent Taylor is the best of the bunch with 81 receptions for 772 yards and 3 TDs but at 5'8 180lbs 4.63 speed he is a slot guy only that cannot backup Tee or Chase. Mostly his value is at punt returner.

That's the issue with the Wide Receiver group and why people were excited about Kendrick Pryor who showed some speed and route running this preseason. I'm the first person to say backup receivers need to play special teams because it's important but so is the balance between being a receiver and a special teams player.

Just a fantastic post Synric. All of this.

We are in a tight spot if one of the top 3 go down and it is inevitable one of them will, maybe even all 3 of them will be
banged up at the very least at some point and will need rest. Also Pryor new the system Zac and Brian run and if we bring
in a guy it will take time for him to learn it.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 01:18 PM)Synric Wrote: The issue with the WR room is outside of the top 3 they don't really have a Wide Receiver on the roster.

Was hoping to keep Taylor, Morgan, and Pryor personally thinking that addressed all the Bengals needs. 

But hey I love everything the Bengals did this off season except not keeping Pryor and Browning on 53. Really can't complain much, yet I still will lol. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is there some sort of rule against it? We don't know when/if the brothers spoke; I'm merely stating if Press asked Zac about KP, I'm sure he'd give his recommendation for the benefit of the kid. 

Or he might say "well, Press...we'd like to get him back on our practice squad". And then Press would say "tough shit loser!! you waived him, he's mine now!". And then end with a maniacle laugh before hanging up. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

And the counter to this is: If one of the big 3 goes down, there are WRs on the street that offer nothing but pass-catching.

OBJ
Will Fuller
Allen Hurns
Keelan Cole
TY Hilton
Josh Gordon

Are just a few who have produced in the NFL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just a fantastic post Synric. All of this.

We are in a tight spot if one of the top 3 go down and it is inevitable one of them will, maybe even all 3 of them will be
banged up at the very least at some point and will need rest. Also Pryor new the system Zac and Brian run and if we bring
in a guy it will take time for him to learn it.

Agreed. A good summary of the situation by Synric. 

We would all be a lot more comfortable if we had a 4th receiver with some speed and talent who could stretch the field. I think Trent Taylor can step in as a possession receiver; although he had only 2 receptions last year (!), he once had over 40 receptions one season with the 49ers (an 136 one year in college). But he's slow in terms of stretching the field as a receiver. The team seems to be working on the TE position, and addressed the OL, but where is the depth at receiver in terms of stretching the field?
Reply/Quote
It does seem lame to worry about wide receiver depth, but I agree with Synric. We aren't going to be able to keep them all. It'll be nice to hit on some late picks but they are going to need time to develop so now is the time we should have at least 1 to replace the big 3. It'll still be a luxury to pick one high in the draft as long as the big three are here, but we may need to if we don't have none currently being developed.

But this is a "good" problem to have.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 01:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And the counter to this is: If one of the big 3 goes down, there are WRs on the street that offer nothing but pass-catching.

OBJ
Will Fuller
Allen Hurns
Keelan Cole
TY Hilton
Josh Gordon

And it will take time with any one of them to get up to speed with our team and scheme we run.

At least Pryor new it and had the speed with good hands. He was a good one to develop IMO.

Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk, need to just hope our top 3 stay healthy I guess.

(09-01-2022, 02:55 PM)Nepa Wrote: Agreed. A good summary of the situation by Synric. 

We would all be a lot more comfortable if we had a 4th receiver with some speed and talent who could stretch the field. I think Trent Taylor can step in as a possession receiver; although he had only 2 receptions last year (!), he once had over 40 receptions one season with the 49ers (an 136 one year in college). But he's slow in terms of stretching the field as a receiver. The team seems to be working on the TE position, and addressed the OL, but where is the depth at receiver in terms of stretching the field?

That is the question and if they would of signed OJ Howard at least he was able to stretch the field at one point.

If you aren't going to do it with WR, should do it with a TE, but they didn't even do that. Asiasi doesn't stretch the field
from everything I seen of him and has problems staying in shape.

But hey, we still have the best trio of WR's.

(09-01-2022, 03:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: It does seem lame to worry about wide receiver depth, but I agree with Synric. We aren't going to be able to keep them all. It'll be nice to hit on some late picks but they are going to need time to develop so now is the time we should have at least 1 to replace the big 3. It'll still be a luxury to pick one high in the draft as long as the big three are here, but we may need to if we don't have none currently being developed.

True at least we are looking at depth instead of starters as the problem like in the past.
Reply/Quote

Interestingly, TB's HC said after they waived Tyler Johnson that they basically keep the Top 4 purely for WR play and the 5-6 have to play ST's.  I thought this was interesting given how many on here say the 4-6 should play ST's.  

Personally, if you're an 11 base team like the Bengals, the TB philosophy makes more sense.  Our philosophy would only seem to make sense if you're a 12 or 21 primarily.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: Interestingly, TB's HC said after they waived Tyler Johnson that they basically keep the Top 4 purely for WR play and the 5-6 have to play ST's.  I thought this was interesting given how many on here say the 4-6 should play ST's.  

Personally, if you're an 11 base team like the Bengals, the TB philosophy makes more sense.  Our philosophy would only seem to make sense if you're a 12 or 21 primarily.

FWIW, I've always said the WR4 needs to be able to play offense.
It's noticeable when someone like Stanley Morgan or Mike Thomas is out there on offense.
Really just there to try to pull a single DB away from the others.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 01:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And the counter to this is: If one of the big 3 goes down, there are WRs on the street that offer nothing but pass-catching.

OBJ
Will Fuller
Allen Hurns
Keelan Cole
TY Hilton
Josh Gordon

The problem is that guys on the street don't help you until the next game.  Even then, they don't help you as much as they could have if they had some time in the offense and some reps with Burrow to get timing down.  

Boyd I don't worry about as much, because I think Taylor can at least play competently as a possession WR in the slot with Chase and Higgins drawing most of the attention outside.  If Chase or Tee goes down during a game, having a decent backup like Fuller can be the difference between a W or an L.  In a stacked AFC, that one loss can have a major impact on playoff seeding.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, I've always said the WR4 needs to be able to play offense.
It's noticeable when someone like Stanley Morgan or Mike Thomas is out there on offense.
Really just there to try to pull a single DB away from the others.

It's very noticeable with Morgan and Thomas because they just simply aren't NFL caliber WR's.  Morgan especially is just a complete liability.  Slow as dirt, can't run routes, hands aren't great, etc , etc.  Synric hit the nail on the head.  It's one thing to keep mediocre WR's that can also play ST's, another to keep guys that can't even win against camp bait CB's because of ST's.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 03:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: It does seem lame to worry about wide receiver depth, but I agree with Synric. We aren't going to be able to keep them all. It'll be nice to hit on some late picks but they are going to need time to develop so now is the time we should have at least 1 to replace the big 3. It'll still be a luxury to pick one high in the draft as long as the big three are here, but we may need to if we don't have none currently being developed.

Given the likelihood that we will lose either Tee or Boyd(maybe both) after next year, they will have to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd next year.  Anymore, most late 1st-2bd round WR's take a year to develop before they're starter quality.  
Reply/Quote