Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players at 8/31 practice/waiver claims/transactions
(09-01-2022, 10:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, I've always said the WR4 needs to be able to play offense.
It's noticeable when someone like Stanley Morgan or Mike Thomas is out there on offense.
Really just there to try to pull a single DB away from the others.

I think you are wrong on who is going to see more time as the WR4, im going with trent taylor and if they do give him some quality snaps he will produce like he did rookie year... last year no one was going to produce much.. our trio stayed healthy overall , chase and boyd played in all the games (not counting last game ) and higgins missed just 2 games so that left really nothing for 4th WR... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 06:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And it will take time with any one of them to get up to speed with our team and scheme we run.

At least Pryor new it and had the speed with good hands. He was a good one to develop IMO.
All a "catch only" WR needs is a route tree. 
I'd assume players that have been in the NFL for numerous years can pick up our "scheme" as easily as a UDFA who worked in it for about 6 weeks and took passes from JB  for about 2
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 11:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think you are wrong on who is going to see more time as the WR4, im going with trent taylor and if they do give him some quality snaps he will produce like he did rookie year... last year no one was going to produce much.. our trio stayed healthy overall , chase and boyd played in all the games (not counting last game ) and higgins missed just 2 games so that left really nothing for 4th WR... 

You're right in that Taylor would likely get the snaps and make the most of them with the current group.  

The bigger issue is team identity.  You'd like to he able to play a descent backup outside rather than a Taylor being stuck in the slot.  That lets you keep Boyd in his role and move Chase and Tee around.  

We also have a QB that loves 3 and 4 wide sets and a solid run blocking line to keep it balanced.  It could be as simple as Boyd playing more outside if one of the other two are hurt, or Hurst lining up outside at times (red zone).  Taylor though gets the snaps. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 12:26 AM)phil413 Wrote: You're right in that Taylor would likely get the snaps and make the most of them with the current group.  

The bigger issue is team identity.  You'd like to he able to play a descent backup outside rather than a Taylor being stuck in the slot.  That lets you keep Boyd in his role and move Chase and Tee around.  

We also have a QB that loves 3 and 4 wide sets and a solid run blocking line to keep it balanced.  It could be as simple as Boyd playing more outside if one of the other two are hurt, or Hurst lining up outside at times (red zone).  Taylor though gets the snaps. 

Taylor wouldn't get the snaps if Chase or Tee go down because he is not a boundary receiver and they aren't going to move Boyd out of his position.

Darrin Simmons has been the Special Teams coach for what 20 years now? If he can't coach a developmental WR to play special teams I dont know what so say. People hard on Pollack but here we have all 3 back up Receivers as Special Teams players and zero depth.

Bengals are likely to play the spread offense they used in 2021 to finish the season. Receivers are extremely important and the depth is severely lacking.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: All a "catch only" WR needs is a route tree. 
I'd assume players that have been in the NFL for numerous years can pick up our "scheme" as easily as a UDFA who worked in it for about 6 weeks and took passes from JB  for about 2

Probably right, I think TY Hilton would be the guy to grab if we wanted a vet WR that can run great routes and has good 
hands in case one of our top 3 go down. That is, if Hilton still has some of what he used to have. He was a very underrated 
Receiver in Indy for years. Also like DeDe Westbrook as I have been saying if he is around and healthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 01:18 PM)Synric Wrote: The issue with the WR room is outside of the top 3 they don't really have a Wide Receiver on the roster.

Michael Thomas and Stanley Morgan are Special Teams players not Wide Receivers. They offer nothing to the offense at all if one of the top 3 receivers miss significant time. Michael Thomas is a 6 year veteran and he has 28 receptions 328 yards 1 TD. Stanley Morgan in 3 seasons has 5 receptions for 29 yards. Trent Taylor is the best of the bunch with 81 receptions for 772 yards and 3 TDs but at 5'8 180lbs 4.63 speed he is a slot guy only that cannot backup Tee or Chase. Mostly his value is at punt returner.

That's the issue with the Wide Receiver group and why people were excited about Kendrick Pryor who showed some speed and route running this preseason. I'm the first person to say backup receivers need to play special teams because it's important but so is the balance between being a receiver and a special teams player.

Couldn't agree more.  Haven't thought through what they could have done to protect him, but I wish they had.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 11:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think you are wrong on who is going to see more time as the WR4, im going with trent taylor and if they do give him some quality snaps he will produce like he did rookie year... last year no one was going to produce much.. our trio stayed healthy overall , chase and boyd played in all the games (not counting last game ) and higgins missed just 2 games so that left really nothing for 4th WR... 

Trent Taylor is too small to play outside.
He's a slot-only guy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:36 PM)3wt Wrote: Couldn't agree more.  Haven't thought through what they could have done to protect him, but I wish they had.

They should of cut Trayveon Williams and kept Kendrick Pryor on the roster.

Should of could of, but that is what they should of done. I said it before it happened that Pryor wouldn't last on the PS.

Didn't think he would of been the first waiver claim of all though. 

That is how much the Jags thought of him and I don't blame them.

Dude is fast, runs crisp routes and has great hands. He looks special.

(09-02-2022, 03:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Trent Taylor is too small to play outside.
He's a slot-only guy.

The truth, don't understand Essex's love for Trent. He is a tough little motha with great hands but he is slow and small.
Reply/Quote