Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Please calm me down...
(03-31-2020, 10:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: McAlister, Dehner Jr., and Baby all say Burrow's the pick. You guys are letting cabin fever get to you.

Brown made the trip to Indy to meet with Burrow. You could just as easily argue that the moves in free agency were, in some measure, a gesture of good faith considering Burrow's remarks about wanting to play for a team committed to winning.

Franchise QB's are invaluable. You pick the right one and you're potentially set for a decade. You pick the wrong one, nobody faults you for taking the consensus top pick and you move on in 5 years. You can just as easily **** up three picks in the first round. Take a look at the Browns a few years ago.

This is the kind of post I wanted to see, and I completely agree. I just want reassurance.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Who is it that is saying the Bengals will trade the pick though? After posting here, I searched around twitter and the web, and it isn't something that anyone with any credit to them talks about.

The Advocate and Clutchpoints are the only 2 websites that seem to be on the train of Bengals would listen.

Other places, Miami Herald, Cincinnati.com, etc say that the Dolphins covet Burrow, or the Bengals can expect the Dolphins to keep trying to trade up... but none of those articles sound like it is a reality.

But seriously, what is the worse that happens? They hold out till the draft and get 3 firsts this year, a first next year and maybe a second this year as well? That is a whole lot of draft capital for 1 guy who has still never thrown an NFL pass.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Hey, remember that time we traded away the #1 pick in the entire draft for three first round picks and instead of Steve Young we got... the amazing Ricky Hunley, Pete Koch, and Brian Blados? Haha
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I totally get what you’re saying.  I’m afraid Mike Brown doesn’t want to repeat what he gave up for Akili Smith — and we know Joe Burrow is better than Akili Smith.  

Right now I can’t shake the thought that all the signings via free agency were to give the fans a reason for hope and not to riot when Mikey Boy trades the pick.  The Bengals have never been this aggressive in free agency before.  I hope this isn’t the reason.

Think about this...Mike Brown gave up another teams draft for Akili Smith.

Let that sink in...Mike Brown gave up another teams draft for Akili Smith.

One more time...MIKE BROWN gave up another teams draft for AKILI SMITH.

Joe Burrow is 1000 times the prospect than Akili Smith...Mike Brown is not going to pass up this opportunity.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Who is it that is saying the Bengals will trade the pick though? After posting here, I searched around twitter and the web, and it isn't something that anyone with any credit to them talks about.

The Advocate and Clutchpoints are the only 2 websites that seem to be on the train of Bengals would listen.

Other places, Miami Herald, Cincinnati.com, etc say that the Dolphins covet Burrow, or the Bengals can expect the Dolphins to keep trying to trade up... but none of those articles sound like it is a reality.

But seriously, what is the worse that happens? They hold out till the draft and get 3 firsts this year, a first next year and maybe a second this year as well? That is a whole lot of draft capital for 1 guy who has still never thrown an NFL pass.

The worst that can happen is you trade away the rights to the #1 overall pick and a future HOF QB who wins multiple Lombardi Trophies for about three first round picks who turn out to be Ricky Hunley, Pete Koch, and Brian Blados - two guys who never played a down for you, and a backup O-Lineman. Like the Bengals did in 1984. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I totally get what you’re saying.  I’m afraid Mike Brown doesn’t want to repeat what he gave up for Akili Smith — and we know Joe Burrow is better than Akili Smith.  

Right now I can’t shake the thought that all the signings via free agency were to give the fans a reason for hope and not to riot when Mikey Boy trades the pick.  The Bengals have never been this aggressive in free agency before.  I hope this isn’t the reason.

So, it's not possible that all the FA signings were, to put it as simply as possible, to put a better team around Joe Burrow and not for some diabolical  plan to screw Bengal fans over yet again?

HINT:

PLEASE TALK ME DOWN DOES NOT ME SHOVE ME OFF THE LEDGE. 

You really suck at talking down.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:06 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Think about this...Mike Brown gave up another teams draft for Akili Smith.

Let that sink in...Mike Brown gave up another teams draft for Akili Smith.

One more time...MIKE BROWN gave up another teams draft for AKILI SMITH.

Joe Burrow is 1000 times the prospect than Akili Smith...Mike Brown is not going to pass up this opportunity.

Yeah, that deal wasn't as good as most people seem to remember. The Saints didn't even have picks in some of the early rounds, so it was mostly moving down in round 1 in exchange for picking up a bunch of mid and late round picks who likely wouldn't have even made the the team due to the high numbers of rookies you would've had.

The problem was not that they turned down the deal. The problem was their evaluation that Akili would be a franchise QB
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can you name an example of a team trading an MVP QB on his rookie contract?
Steve Young
Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. Also if you're Baltimore are you trusting a QB that runs as much as Lamar will stay healthy enough to play that much longer into his second contract. Not saying it would happen but I could them trading him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
No way in hell.
I wouldn't trade this pick for any amount.
If he doesn't work out in the long run so be it.
I really don't see that happening, barring some kind of freak injury.

I mean, NFL QB is the hardest position to fill in sports that I can think of. You can't throw this opportunity away.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure if anybody has pointed this out yet, but I haven't seen it anywhere (not just this board) so i'll point it out. We actually have an offensive assistant, Brad Kragthorpe, who was Burrow's position coach his first year at LSU. So it's not like we don't have inside intel on the guy. See here:
https://www.bengals.com/team/coaches-roster/brad-kragthorpe
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:23 PM)J24 Wrote: Steve Young
Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. Also if you're Baltimore are you trusting a QB that runs as much as Lamar will stay healthy enough to play that much longer into his second contract. Not saying it would happen but I could them trading him.

Young had not won an MVP when he was traded. In fact, he was 3-16 in TB. That’s a far cry from Baltimore being willing to trade their MVP QB.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 09:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These rumors that Miami is dead set on trading up for the 1st pick just keep picking up more and more steam. There’s absolutely no way we would be that stupid, right? Right??

I’m getting a little worried, ngl...
I just did a post yesterday with the hypothetical draft if we actually did trade with Miami.

And, the Bengals got picks #5, #18, #26, #39, #56, #70, and 3 more 1st Rounders over the next 3 years.

After drafting, it just didn't seem that great!

So, I'm on board with what a few folks have mentioned on here. Would any team trade their Franchise QB for the next 10 years away for several picks? I don't think so.
And, I'm figuring if Andy Dalton took us to 5 straight playoff appearances in his 9 years, what could Joe Burrow do?
To me, he's a better prospect coming out than Dalton would've been.
He's much more athletic running the ball and feeling the pressure than Dalton.
He doesn't have to play a down of pro football for me to figure that one out.
His deep throws seem to be more accurate as well; although, both have the same trouble throwing too short.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 12:04 AM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I'm not sure if anybody has pointed this out yet, but I haven't seen it anywhere (not just this board) so i'll point it out. We actually have an offensive assistant, Brad Kragthorpe, who was Burrow's position coach his first year at LSU. So it's not like we don't have inside intel on the guy. See here:
https://www.bengals.com/team/coaches-roster/brad-kragthorpe

Interesting. He also crossed paths with Jordan Love at Utah State.... that may seal the deal. We are trading down and taking Jordan Love
Reply/Quote
I was initially in the holy shit we can get so much for #1 overall camp. The more I learned about Burrow and the way he reminds me of Luck when he was coming out. No way.

QB is by far the most important position on the football team. And if there is one thing Mike Brown knows, it is that.

The best QB prospect of the decade will be a Bengal without a doubt
Reply/Quote
It won't happen for a few reasons. First, if you were intending on trading the pick for a boatload of draft picks, you wouldn't also go crazy in FA. You would tank to try and get in position for a QB next year, then go just in FA.

The big play in the NFL now is you try and take advantage of having a QB on a rookie deal. All FA equates to is the Bengals trying to fix the defense so they don't waste Burrow's rookie year. Possibly, it's a good faith gesture to Joe and try to shake the "not serious about winning" narrative.

Burrow is a Mike Brown wet dream not only from a player standpoint, but from a marketing standpoint. He's not passing on him. He puts too much value on the QB position. He was a QB in college himself, for Pete's sake. Burrow is a great prospect and a potential goldmine for the franchise.

People will throw out trade scenarios because the pick is obvious and there has to be some kind of drama for tv. Miami was supposedly in love with Tua last year, too.
Reply/Quote
I think my profile name says it all. Miami can go kick rocks.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Who is it that is saying the Bengals will trade the pick though? After posting here, I searched around twitter and the web, and it isn't something that anyone with any credit to them talks about.

Pat McAfee was talking to AJ Hawk about it on his show today.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 12:33 AM)Whatever Wrote: It won't happen for a few reasons. First, if you were intending on trading the pick for a boatload of draft picks, you wouldn't also go crazy in FA. You would tank to try and get in position for a QB next year, then go just in FA.

The big play in the NFL now is you try and take advantage of having a QB on a rookie deal. All FA equates to is the Bengals trying to fix the defense so they don't waste Burrow's rookie year. Possibly, it's a good faith gesture to Joe and try to shake the "not serious about winning" narrative.

Burrow is a Mike Brown wet dream not only from a player standpoint, but from a marketing standpoint. He's not passing on him. He puts too much value on the QB position. He was a QB in college himself, for Pete's sake. Burrow is a great prospect and a potential goldmine for the franchise.

People will throw out trade scenarios because the pick is obvious and there has to be some kind of drama for tv. Miami was supposedly in love with Tua last year, too.

That's basically what I was going to say; you don't make the multiple FA moves and add pieces to shore up the D, if you don't think of winning now.

If they were going to tank again, the picks would make sense, as you want to get a ton of pieces.

But look at this year's draft; to REALLY shore up the team, what would you get on O?

1 OT
1 WR
1... maybe franchise QB?

In the first round.

Some facts:

- We don't NEED a high WR, especially in this class, when you can get superb talent (potentially) in the 3rd or 4th.
- If you tank this year, you don't get a QB, so you get Lawrence next year.
- Going on my last point, what do you get; a LB? DE?

We are set at many positions and only 2, do we really need a ton of help; QB, LB and arguable on OT (still think Fred or a draft pick will be the answer).

With the class being full of guys that you don't really need on this team (Dline, CB, RB, WR), this would not be the year to stock up on picks, IMO.

Nicomo, read some of the recent articles on CincyJungle; multiple team sources have said (recently, not 2 months ago) that Burrow will be the pick. In 2-3 weeks, we're going to hear Lapham say it too, assuredly.

Have faith, man!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 12:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Young had not won an MVP when he was traded. In fact, he was 3-16 in TB. That’s a far cry from Baltimore being willing to trade their MVP QB.

Yeah I know I did that just for fun.  
Jackson is a different type of cat yeah he is a QB  but since he runs so much and gets hit so much it's a fair question to ask will the Ravens commit huge  money to him  for a second contract.
Also look at what the  cowboys are doing with Prescott their not interested in committing to him long term. Same with Kirk Cousins in DC they didn't commit to him and he was putting up impressive numbers there.  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think Miami will offer all 3 1sts, and it worries me that Taylor and the coaches raves about Herbert so much after working with him. I don’t care what the haul is, watching Burrow put on another team’s jersey might finally be my breaking point with this franchise.

Do the right thing, Mike.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious  I'm fine if we take Burrow. No way!!!! I turn down three first round picks for one player. No way! I doubt that MB would either. Enjoy the drama.
Reply/Quote