Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Please calm me down...
I will start off my response by saying that I know that the Bengals are taking Burrow and not trading the pick. I have my personal feelings on the subject as McC and Nicomo will confirm. The Bengals gave Andy Dalton permission to seek out a trade. The only reason they would do this is if they are taking Burrow. Why? Because the first pick is the only pick to guarantee this. If they trade to 5 there is no guarantee that Herbert or Tua (the next 2 best QBs) would be there at 5.

As a side note to earlier comments..Steve Young pulled an Eli on us when Eli was 3 years old. Young signed with the USFL Express because the Bengals sucked. Which is weird because this was right between both SB appearances.
Reply/Quote
This may have already been said, but I think our free agent haul is additional evidence that we're taking Burrow. Why sign Reader and Waynes to big money when you could draft Okudah/Kinlaw or Brown/Henderson with Miami's picks? If we had signed no free agents, it would indicate that we were sticking to our old plan of "building [solely] through the draft" ...
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 03:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not every Heisman winning QB accomplished what Burrow did though. In fact, none did. He pretty much had the best season we’ve ever seen. It wasn’t a typical Heisman season. The one question nobody in the pro-trade camp ever seems to be able to answer is if another team thinks Burrow is worth giving up such a haul for why in the world would WE give him up?

As for the bold, even if you hit on your picks, who do you think the Browns would rather have? All 3 from the first column, or one from the second?

Miles Garrett
Jabrill Peppers
David Njoku

Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson

The Browns had a chance to draft a Heisman winning franchise QB who had done unprecedented things in Lamar Jackson and they passed on him twice.  He was the 4th(?) QB off the board in that draft. I'm sure they'd do that draft differently now.

Mahomes and Watson weren't the first QB off the board either.

I want Burrow but picking a franchise QB is a lot easier with hindsight than it is at the time. Burrow isn't necessarily the slam dunk we hope he is. If he isn't people will look back and point out the red flags - a one year wonder, weak arm etc. It could be that Herbert or Tua or Love or someone else becomes the franchise QB and in years to come we'll be looking back thinking how stupid we were to pass on them at the top of the draft and how, like with Akili, that king's ransom could have transformed the franchise. Or it could be Trevor Lawrence who becomes the new Brady and we are left ruing not accepting all those future picks from Miami that might have handed him to us on a plate.
Reply/Quote
If we don't take Burrow you lose the fanbase. You also will lose a season ticket holder like me.

Thats is why we are taking Burrow and unless the Dolphins give up their next 2 drafts I don't consider it

Also I think the Dolphins need to trade down to #3 before you can even start with a conversation.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 11:05 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: The Browns had a chance to draft a Heisman winning franchise QB who had done unprecedented things in Lamar Jackson and they passed on him twice.  He was the 4th(?) QB off the board in that draft. I'm sure they'd do that draft differently now.

Mahomes and Watson weren't the first QB off the board either.

I want Burrow but picking a franchise QB is a lot easier with hindsight than it is at the time. Burrow isn't necessarily the slam dunk we hope he is. If he isn't people will look back and point out the red flags - a one year wonder, weak arm etc. It could be that Herbert or Tua or Love or someone else becomes the franchise QB and in years to come we'll be looking back thinking how stupid we were to pass on them at the top of the draft and how, like with Akili, that king's ransom could have transformed the franchise. Or it could be Trevor Lawrence who becomes the new Brady and we are left ruing not accepting all those future picks from Miami that might have handed him to us on a plate.

Or we could look back years from now after watching Burrow hoist the Lombardi for the Dolphins and wonder wtf we were thinking trading him for a bust OL, mediocre LB, and #2WR...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 11:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or we could look back years from now after watching Burrow hoist the Lombardi for the Dolphins and wonder wtf we were thinking trading him for a bust OL, mediocre LB, and #2WR...

The problem with passing on Burrow would be the guys we get instead would have to be good AND Burrow would have to not be great elsewhere in order for us to avoid the backlash. 

But Burrow has shown enough to justify being the pick so we don't even need to get into the fear of missing out mentality.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 09:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These rumors that Miami is dead set on trading up for the 1st pick just keep picking up more and more steam. There’s absolutely no way we would be that stupid, right? Right??

I’m getting a little worried, ngl...

Thread Title "Talk you Down"
Hmm...

We are in middle of a pandemic and your concern is if Bengals trade #1 pick???????????
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 12:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Thread Title "Talk you Down"
Hmm...

We are in middle of a pandemic and your concern is if Bengals trade #1 pick???????????

Joe Burrow is close to a vaccine...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 12:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Thread Title "Talk you Down"
Hmm...

I only buy the Burrow hype, not the corona hype. 
Reply/Quote
I have a better chance of having a one night stand with Kate Upton than Miami does of trading up for Burrow.

[Image: BelatedGrotesqueFrigatebird-size_restricted.gif]
[Image: SplendidImportantEwe-size_restricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 12:11 PM)jason Wrote: Joe Burrow is close to a vaccine...

Being able to watch any sport would be a vaccine for me

I can't wait to watch the draft

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 01:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I have a better chance of having a one night stand with Kate Upton than Miami does of trading up for Burrow.

[Image: BelatedGrotesqueFrigatebird-size_restricted.gif]
[Image: SplendidImportantEwe-size_restricted.gif]

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown saw the empty seats last season and felt the crunch. He knows the one thing that will put butts back in seats above all else is Joe Burrow ! It just fits like a velvet glove. He's not trading the pick even if Miami offers the moon and stars.
Reply/Quote
I fully expected to see a #1 pick to Miami trade thread for april fools by now. I'm disappointed...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 01:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Being able to watch any sport would be a vaccine for me

I can't wait to watch the draft

Game 5 of the 2016 NBA finals is on at 7 pm... I won't tell ya who won.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 09:52 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I agree with you on Miami being in a tough spot. They've already started their window with all the free agents they've signed. 

Sidebar - if they lose out on Tua, I could see them punting on a few picks and trading them away for picks in next year's draft. They'd have to hope like hell that a team with an established QB gets the #1 pick in 2021.

Good point....
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 01:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Mike Brown saw the empty seats last season and felt the crunch. He knows the one thing that will put butts back in seats above all else is Joe Burrow ! It just fits like a velvet glove. He's not trading the pick even if Miami offers the moon and stars.

There are Dolphin fans who actually believe they will somehow trick the Bengals out of that pick. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Considering what you are essentially looking and the whole point of the draft... this is it. It's already pretty much been handed to you. You don't give it away. It's the equivalent of giving up a winning lottery ticket worth millions in hopes of getting multiple other lottery tickets that could each worth millions if you are the luckiest person on earth. Your odds are so against you it's stupid.

I feel like it's a lot easier taking #1 and missing than swapping for 2,3,4,5 etc and watching what you gave away hitting big time. Imagine watching weekly highlights for years rubbing in what you should have done. It's easier to see a later pick blow up and wish you would have in hindsight (Mahomes) than it would be to look back and regret something you know you should have done but you rolled the dice anyway.

As someone else already said, you do this and miss (most likely miss) you risk losing the fans for a long time if not forever. They trade for picks I'd probably be done unless it was literally entire draft multiple drafts. Even then if it didn't pan out or he becomes the next NFL great you are forever ridiculed about the decision. If you take him and it doesn't pan out, no harm no foul. Sucks but you did the right thing and we continue the search.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 09:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These rumors that Miami is dead set on trading up for the 1st pick just keep picking up more and more steam. There’s absolutely no way we would be that stupid, right? Right??

I’m getting a little worried, ngl...

Five simple words....

It takes two to tango.
Reply/Quote
People in hell want ice water too. Doesn’t mean they’re getting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote