Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Bengals QB?
.....then he no-showed at his tryout and moved it 30 minutes before it was scheduled to start. I think he just nailed his own coffin shut.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 10:22 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: He started the protest in the Preseason 2016 and lost the starting job later that season. 

Quote:Kaepernick's greatest NFL successes came as part of the San Francisco 49ers' read-option scheme from 2012-14. In those three years, he rushed for 1,578 yards -- more than any quarterback other than Russell Wilson and Cam Newton. His success -- he threw more than twice as many touchdown passes (50) as interceptions (21) -- helped him compile the eighth-best Total Quarterback Rating in the NFL (70.2) over that period.

Even then, Kaepernick was one of the league's least-accurate quarterbacks. His 60.1 completion percentage ranked No. 23 in the NFL, and his percentage of off-target throws -- judged on video by ESPN Stats & Information -- ranked No. 18 (17.6 percent).

Those issues intensified in 2015 and 2016 amid the 49ers' coaching turmoil and talent drain. Since the start of the 2015 season, Kaepernick ranks last in the NFL among 35 qualified passers in off-target percentage (22.6). His completion percentage ranks No. 32 at 59.1. He still was one of the NFL's most productive rushing quarterbacks, ranking No. 4 in total yardage over those years, but it didn't mitigate his passing deterioration.

All passers miss throws, but Kaepernick over the past two seasons has done it as much or as more as anyone. It's hardly surprising that teams didn't rush to sign him in the opening days of free agency. Realistically, he's vying for the kind of veteran backup job that often doesn't get filled until after the draft or later. That deal is going to be worth a fraction of the $14 million he earned last season.

The concerns of Lee and others are not completely unfounded. There is precedent for NFL teams passing over players who engage in social activism. The sudden end to punter [/url]Chris Kluwe's career in 2013, [url=https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/56119/chris-kluwe-release-the-role-of-advocacy]a year after he waded into the issue of marriage equality, comes to mind.

But fair or not, those decisions are made on a sliding scale. The better player you are, the less teams will heed their off-field concerns. Kluwe hadn't kicked well, compared to the rest of the league, in 2012. Kaepernick has been one of the league's least accurate quarterbacks for two years.

When given a choice between players with relatively equal projections in terms of production, teams are likely to choose the one who brings what they perceive to be less controversy. What happens on the field is always the most important factor. So it goes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
NFL had scheduled a closed workout. Kaepernick switched locations and opened it up to the public and media. Only 7 teams showed up.

According to CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, seven teams were represented at the workout: the Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, San Francisco 49ers and Detroit Lions.

NFL must've been pissed. While Kaepernick was stretching on the field at the new location, the NFL released a statement saying that they were disappointed Kaepernick did not appear for his workout. The league said 25 teams were present for the scheduled workout.

My guess is that the seven teams were the ones actually interested in watching the workout. The 25 were those ordered to be there by the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 05:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....then he no-showed at his tryout and moved it 30 minutes before it was scheduled to start. I think he just nailed his own coffin shut.

Exactly.

That move hurt him more than any poor performance at the workout would have.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 05:57 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: .....then he no-showed at his tryout and moved it 30 minutes before it was scheduled to start. I think he just nailed his own coffin shut.

If he and his lady would STFU he'd have a job again. The Kunta Kinta shirt was a nice touch this time... He doesn't really wanna play. He has to keep his name out there to continue to be this pseudo human rights activist that he fancies himself to be now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 05:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....then he no-showed at his tryout and moved it 30 minutes before it was scheduled to start. I think he just nailed his own coffin shut.

Crapernick is a turd and he proves it once again. Nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're look for.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 06:06 PM)shanebo Wrote: NFL had scheduled a closed workout.  Kaepernick switched locations and opened it up to the public and media.  Only 7 teams showed up.

According to CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, seven teams were represented at the workout: the Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, San Francisco 49ers and Detroit Lions.

NFL must've been pissed.  While Kaepernick was stretching on the field at the new location, the NFL released a statement saying that they were disappointed Kaepernick did not appear for his workout. The league said 25 teams were present for the scheduled workout.

My guess is that the seven teams were the ones actually interested in watching the workout.  The 25 were those ordered to be there by the NFL.

...or Kaep's diva-like temper tantrum made 18 teams realize they'd wasted their time. NFL teams want guys who will toe the line and rep the team well, not loose cannons with a martyr complex. Especially not in this era, where one perceived mistake could send twitter into a frenzy. In a world of gasoline, Kaepernick is a lit match.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The NFL tried to convince him to sign an unusual waiver that ended up having some twisted terminology in it. They basically tried to "Trojan Horse" him as he signed certain legal rights away. Let's all remember that this was the NFLs idea and it came suddenly out of nowhere. They tried to F him!! I read an article on it this morning.

NFL was shady af on this one. Just proves that they are worried about something.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 03:12 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The NFL tried to convince him to sign an unusual waiver that ended up having some twisted terminology in it. They basically tried to "Trojan Horse" him as he signed certain legal rights away. Let's all remember that this was the NFLs idea and it came suddenly out of nowhere. They tried to F him!! I read an article on it this morning.

NFL was shady af on this one. Just proves that they are worried about something.

You can tell this is a real political issue because Kaepernick and the NFL are both doing bizarre things and people are still lining up to take sides and blame the other side of doing them wrong.  Both Kaepernick and the NFL are to blame for the situation but it gets more clicks if you convince people that either he is a terrible QB who spits on veterans OR he is a victim of the NFL's plantation mentality.  

I'll admit that I don't have the personal investment or agenda required to align myself with either side of this mess. Are there facts? Seems to me like the NFL was held liable for collusion against him and it seems to me like Kaepernick has done a lot of things to turn people off of hiring him. Ah, but what good are middle of the road takes in today's (and yesterdays's and every other day's) "let's get super mad and take sides" climate?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 01:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You can tell this is a real political issue because Kaepernick and the NFL are both doing bizarre things and people are still lining up to take sides and blame the other side of doing them wrong.  Both Kaepernick and the NFL are to blame for the situation but it gets more clicks if you convince people that either he is a terrible QB who spits on veterans OR he is a victim of the NFL's plantation mentality.  

I'll admit that I don't have the personal investment or agenda required to align myself with either side of this mess.  Are there facts?  Seems to me like the NFL was held liable for collusion against him and it seems to me like Kaepernick has done a lot of things to turn people off of hiring him.  Ah, but what good are middle of the road takes in today's (and yesterdays's and every other day's) "let's get super mad and take sides" climate?

No one has stated if this was part of the resolution to the lawsuit against the NFL. I don't claim to know what others at tryouts are required to sign as far as liability waivers. But this player was just awarded a settlement with the league. CYA would be prudent.  
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 02:11 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: No one has stated if this was part of the resolution to the lawsuit against the NFL. I don't claim to know what others at tryouts are required to sign as far as liability waivers. But this player was just awarded a settlement with the league. CYA would be prudent.  

Like I said, it's just like politics.  Big money players are waging a war in the court of public opinion and the starving masses are snapping it up and taking sides and fighting amongst themselves as usual.

My sister wants me to pop by her place on Thanksgiving and I'm actually wondering if I'm going to be able to watch football or if I'm going to have to hear my brother in law go on a rant about how unpatriotic football is thanks to a guy who was never on either team that is playing and hasn't been in the league for years.

Ugh.
Reply/Quote
Who shows up to a job interview wearing a Kunte Kinte shirt insinuating your potential employer is a enslaver?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 02:34 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Who shows up to a job interview wearing a Kunte Kinte shirt insinuating your potential employer is a enslaver?

I'm not going to defend what Kaepernick does, but it does occur to me that his detractors might be too quick to dismiss him as being an insane agitator because acknowledging that he might have the slightest sliver of a point could be a little upsetting to the status quo.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 03:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not going to defend what Kaepernick does, but it does occur to me that his detractors might be too quick to dismiss him as being an insane agitator because acknowledging that he might have the slightest sliver of a point could be a little upsetting to the status quo.

But that's what hes become. He's not trying to get a job he's just trying to poke the league in the eye at this point. At this point its become clear that there is this bitter divorce between Colin and the NFL and the fans are caught in between. He's not interested in playing, and they don't want him, he's more interested in making them look bad and they just want him to go away.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 03:45 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: But that's what hes become. He's not trying to get a job he's just trying to poke the league in the eye at this point. At this point its become clear that there is this bitter divorce between Colin and the NFL and the fans are caught in between. He's not interested in playing, and they don't want him, he's more interested in making them look bad and they just want him to go away.

That's your take on the situation and you are free to have it.  I have less of a conclusive take on it than you do, but there is so much going on between the parties it's hard to say anyone is able to conclude based upon solid evidence.
Reply/Quote
I've often found the Kap debate rather odd. It's not as if his protest was completely without merit. There have been several police shootings of unarmed black men and there were then. I think the biggest issue was how it got blown up as being somehow anti-American to protest killing unarmed citizens by kneeling during the national anthem. You would think that he shot a president or something or spat on the flag. He didn't.
Is there anyone who is going to stand up to justify police shooting unarmed citizens for any reason much less the reasons they've been shot for? I don't think so. 
I've witnessed police misconduct several times and was in a court room when a young black man was sent to jail for 90 days for the same offense I was there for. He had a clean record except for the his first offense and mine was like my 5th offense of the same thing and yet I walked out of the courtroom while he went straight to the jail from the courtroom.
I don't object to these protests in the least. But don't anyone try to implicate me as somehow being unpatriotic. I would do things for my country most of you wouldn't dream of if I thought I would be successful. Kap's original sin was speaking truth to power. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 04:38 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've often found the Kap debate rather odd. It's not as if his protest was completely without merit. There have been several police shootings of unarmed black men and there were then. I think the biggest issue was how it got blown up as being somehow anti-American to protest killing unarmed citizens by kneeling during the national anthem. You would think that he shot a president or something or spat on the flag. He didn't.
Is there anyone who is going to stand up to justify police shooting unarmed citizens for any reason much less the reasons they've been shot for? I don't think so. 
I've witnessed police misconduct several times and was in a court room when a young black man was sent to jail for 90 days for the same offense I was there for. He had a clean record except for the his first offense and mine was like my 5th offense of the same thing and yet I walked out of the courtroom while he went straight to the jail from the courtroom.
I don't object to these protests in the least. But don't anyone try to implicate me as somehow being unpatriotic. I would do things for my country most of you wouldn't dream of if I thought I would be successful. Kap's original sin was speaking truth to power. 

This isn't a discussion about what he's protesting. Everyone already knows that. Your views on law enforcement are irrelevant. The issue is that Kap and NFL have been at odds over him being "denied" opportunities to get back in the league. He's publicly criticizing the very people he's trying to get to employ him. Kap's motives are to antagonize the NFL into giving him a job, and the leagues motives are to make him go away.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 01:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You can tell this is a real political issue because Kaepernick and the NFL are both doing bizarre things and people are still lining up to take sides and blame the other side of doing them wrong.  Both Kaepernick and the NFL are to blame for the situation but it gets more clicks if you convince people that either he is a terrible QB who spits on veterans OR he is a victim of the NFL's plantation mentality.  

I'll admit that I don't have the personal investment or agenda required to align myself with either side of this mess.  Are there facts?  Seems to me like the NFL was held liable for collusion against him and it seems to me like Kaepernick has done a lot of things to turn people off of hiring him.  Ah, but what good are middle of the road takes in today's (and yesterdays's and every other day's) "let's get super mad and take sides" climate?

I agree! I'm not taking a side here at all. I don't have a horse in the race. Just pointing out my observations. Personally, I think both sides are wrong g on this. Players /millionaires don't need to be showing their ass. Ts, the league could bend quite a bit on some of their ridiculous policies imho.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 04:38 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've often found the Kap debate rather odd. It's not as if his protest was completely without merit. There have been several police shootings of unarmed black men and there were then. I think the biggest issue was how it got blown up as being somehow anti-American to protest killing unarmed citizens by kneeling during the national anthem. You would think that he shot a president or something or spat on the flag. He didn't.

I believe that when you clump the "police " into a single group is the same as including all groups as responsible for the actions of one member of a group. There probably hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers in our country and to expect that there wouldn't be some bad ones and some good ones who make mistakes because of the nature of their jobs isn't realistic. If there were no law enforcement this world would be a troubling place to be.
Reply/Quote