Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc.
(03-31-2021, 08:53 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh, I agree.  I just, as always, like to point out to the resident puritans how their people are hardly paragons of virtue themselves.

I don't know how much I agree with that, in this context.  Minimizing the grift of others by pointing out the extremities of Trump can just as easily be seen as minimizing their actions

Can be. Might be. The only issue with all that is how imho all nuance and an objective reality tends to get lost in these kinds of back and forth. 

Also, for one, thinking this logic to the end would inherently mean no liberal can ever critizise any kind of corruption without being questioned in that manner, which imho is a weak stance; and also, I still find it way more ironic when a Trump supporter complains about Obama corruption as when an Obama supporter complains about Trump corruption, based on the fact that Trump corruption was way more blatant and worse then any alleged Obama corruption (and to even call it that would be a tad too far for me personally, but whatever) was.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 139707445_1334570886902684_8570296148375...e=608AC6C8]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Another from a brilliant FB friend...lol.

[Image: Screenshot-20210330-222643-Facebook.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
[Image: 166596939_3795509690503304_6601295208337...e=608C21FD]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 09:12 PM)hollodero Wrote: Can be. Might be. The only issue with all that is how imho all nuance and an objective reality tends to get lost in these kinds of back and forth. 

Also, for one, thinking this logic to the end would inherently mean no liberal can ever critizise any kind of corruption without being questioned in that manner, which imho is a weak stance; and also, I still find it way more ironic when a Trump supporter complains about Obama corruption as when an Obama supporter complains about Trump corruption, based on the fact that Trump corruption was way more blatant and worse then any alleged Obama corruption (and to even call it that would be a tad too far for me personally, but whatever) was.

I completely agree, and over all I don't mind Obama's tenure as POTUS, despite some fundamental differences of opinion.  But when the response is to a quote from Truman about politicians being worth far more when they leave office then when they entered it, citing Trump does not excuse Obama, at least as far as the quote is concerned.  Degree wasn't an issue in the quote, so it wasn't in my comparison.  Hyper partisan people need to be reminded of their hypocrisies, especially when they think they're the ones springing the trap.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 08:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Fascinating.

https://www.afr.com/work-and-careers/management/the-obamas-are-worth-30-times-more-than-when-they-entered-the-white-house-20180912-h159bg

Man that is fishy. In a couple decades the president and his wife made half as much from their salaries and book deals as trumps kids did in a single year.

Somebody should audit the trump kids for sure. Thanks for pointing that $#&+ out.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:38 AM)Benton Wrote: Man that is fishy. In a couple decades the president and his wife made half as much from their salaries and book deals as trumps kids did in a single year.

Somebody should audit the trump kids for sure.

Mellow

Amusing, so often the accusation is that people deflect from Trump to others.  Interesting to see it go the other way.  I'll reiterate, because some people seem to need it, Trump's excesses are not excused or mitigated by the excesses of others.  But the point stands, if you're going to quote Truman then effing quote him.  
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 09:35 PM)GMDino Wrote:  

Pizza Gaetz
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:52 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Pizza Gaetz

Help me Qanon we need you
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:52 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Pizza Gaetz

Gaetzgate...per his request.

[Image: ExyCKgFU8AESppv?format=jpg&name=large]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:38 AM)Benton Wrote: Man that is fishy. In a couple decades the president and his wife made half as much from their salaries and book deals as trumps kids did in a single year.

Somebody should audit the trump kids for sure. Thanks for pointing that $#&+ out.

Mellow

I mean who would have thought the guy who's Family's foundation got shut down and who has kids that stole from other charities and who never released his taxes  and faced hundreds of lawsuits for lack of payment would be JUST AS BAD as Obama?  Ninja

[Image: 4o9ms5.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:18 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I completely agree, and over all I don't mind Obama's tenure as POTUS, despite some fundamental differences of opinion.  But when the response is to a quote from Truman about politicians being worth far more when they leave office then when they entered it, citing Trump does not excuse Obama, at least as far as the quote is concerned.  Degree wasn't an issue in the quote, so it wasn't in my comparison.  Hyper partisan people need to be reminded of their hypocrisies, especially when they think they're the ones springing the trap.

Well, the quote said "crook", and the meme was posted by someone not known to be overly critical of Trump, so I might get why the response was as it was, but whatever... the important thing to me is this, I feel your counter plays in the hand of the "everyone is bad anyway" defense mechanism of Trump (or other bad actors). - Left and right, liberal or conservative, they are all partisan, biased actors, the politicians are all crooks, everything and everyone is awful and always will be awful, it's all the same and so there's no reason to take issue with Trump or thrive for anything better than Trump - and every critizism is hypocritical in its nature anyways.

Just to clarify, I don't say that is your intention at all: I just say that your take fuels those arguments and I consider them more troubling than allegedly uber-partisan takes. Might be worth a thought - or not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:34 AM)hollodero Wrote: Well, the quote said "crook", and the meme was posted by someone not known to be overly critical of Trump, so I might get why the response was as it was, but whatever... the important thing to me is this, I feel your counter plays in the hand of the "everyone is bad anyway" defense mechanism of Trump (or other bad actors). - Left and right, liberal or conservative, they are all partisan, biased actors, the politicians are all crooks, everything and everyone is awful and always will be awful, it's all the same and so there's no reason to take issue with Trump or thrive for anything better than Trump - and every critizism is hypocritical in its nature anyways.

Just to clarify, I don't say that is your intention at all: I just say that your take fuels those arguments and I consider them more troubling than allegedly uber-partisan takes. Might be worth a thought - or not.

Yeah, I can see that.  It's more a function of how blindly partisan the poster who countered is and I'd also counter by saying people inclined to view things that way don't need much encouragement anyways.  Every U.S. President leaves office a wealthy person, which is troubling.  I'd really prefer a law that prohibits them from making any such deals while in office, book deals, whatever.  They should use their presidential salary and any money they brought into office with them.  There will be plenty of time to milk that cow after you leave office.
Reply/Quote
[Image: l8h6m0xyqlq61.png]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
[Image: 2ekh16vbrkq61.png?width=640&crop=smart&a...f211004c70]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
[Image: hign3vfn2mq61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a...9cbfccd736]

Reply/Quote
[Image: 167813461_4149536525057135_7030455737377...e=608CE24E]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:34 AM)hollodero Wrote: Well, the quote said "crook", and the meme was posted by someone not known to be overly critical of Trump, so I might get why the response was as it was, but whatever... the important thing to me is this, I feel your counter plays in the hand of the "everyone is bad anyway" defense mechanism of Trump (or other bad actors). - Left and right, liberal or conservative, they are all partisan, biased actors, the politicians are all crooks, everything and everyone is awful and always will be awful, it's all the same and so there's no reason to take issue with Trump or thrive for anything better than Trump - and every critizism is hypocritical in its nature anyways.

constantly using fallacies in arguments is "nauseating," whether intentionally done or not. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: 91876169_10221893779397671_3937904897789...e=608C6101]
Reply/Quote