Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
{ Postgame Reactions Thread - Week 1 }
"I think the ball was heavy and wet. It was strange. I did not know it was going to rain. It was to our advantage. We found a way to move the ball, put some points on the board. But, it definitely had an impact on the passing game." - kevin stefanski
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 04:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: "I think the ball was heavy and wet. It was strange. I did not know it was going to rain. It was to our advantage. We found a way to move the ball, put some points on the board. But, it definitely had an impact on the passing game." - kevin stefanski

I was watching local news here in Cincinnati yesterday morning, and during the weather segment they brought up the weather in Cleveland and rain was barely mentioned if at all for the game.  
Reply/Quote
I don't know.... still feel kinda grossed out by that one. I think we're "in trouble" only so far as we might have an injured quarterback. Because if that's the case, we are done. But if not, if he's fine and just had a bad game for whatever reason(s), there's honestly nothing to worry about. They'll learn from it, move on and come back stronger.

Problem is, if I had to guess I'd say he probably is hurt. Which led to almost every play being run out of shotgun, a bunch of abysmal throws and zero escapability. The ripple effect is profound because this offense runs on JB9-octane fuel. It can only use lawn mower gas for so long before the engine starts to sputter.

Hoping for the best. At least he seemed in good spirits after the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 04:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: "I think the ball was heavy and wet. It was strange. I did not know it was going to rain. It was to our advantage. We found a way to move the ball, put some points on the board. But, it definitely had an impact on the passing game." - kevin stefanski

Pffft, what does he know? Just another idiot blaming the rain. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 05:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Pffft, what does he know? Just another idiot blaming the rain. Ninja

Football coaching with a baseball mentality. Maybe he thought the game was going to be rained out?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:41 AM)WhoDeyK Wrote: It’s Pollack. Year after year we bring in proven free agents who have done well other places and suddenly they struggle here. And he hasn’t developed a single draft pick. It’s time to move on and give another coach a shot.

And yet these free agents come here partly because of Pollack....
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:39 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Brad Robbins by the numbers:

Punts: 10 (first in the NFL)
Avg: 40.9 yards (second to last in the NFL)
Net: 37.4 yards (only 4 punters did worse)

How many of the other 31 punters were punting a wet heavy ball in a monsoon? Because while that looks bad, can you really FAIRLY compare the conditions he was punting into someone punting in a dome or in Denver, or even in sunshine? C'mon man...
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 02:58 PM)Housh Wrote: Good

This level of ineptitude cannot be excused by the players. They were ready to play.
The playcalls and Burrow have the Bengals no shot at winning

Anyone been hearing Burrow possibly has a thumb issue?

Really, because Tee wasn't running the right routes, the line wasn't opening holes for Mixon (he went 4.3, but only due to his two good runs he ripped off) Burrow was totally off his game. The coaches aren't the ones out there performing. The players need to be mad at themselves, and I'm sure they are. Plenty of blame to go around on this one.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 01:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No actually, did I miss something? 

No, just being funny.  Did you see what I bolded, underlined in your post?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 04:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. Mixon was running pretty well, too.

I cannot understand for the life of me why we went away from the run.  It was working and Burrow was way off.  Mixon should have had 30+ carries that game.

I could be completely wrong, but I think something is wrong with Burrow.  There is having an off game and then there is what we all saw.   Something wasn't right and i'm not buying this weather bs.  Burrow looked injured, scared or both.  I have watched every single Burrow game and I have never, ever seen him act like that.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: How many of the other 31 punters were punting a wet heavy ball in a monsoon? Because while that looks bad, can you really FAIRLY compare the conditions he was punting into someone punting in a dome or in Denver, or even in sunshine? C'mon man...

I didn't notice the Brown's punter having issues.  Maybe I missed it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:28 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I cannot understand for the life of me why we went away from the run.  It was working and Burrow was way off.  Mixon should have had 30+ carries that game.

I could be completely wrong, but I think something is wrong with Burrow.  There is having an off game and then there is what we all saw.   Something wasn't right and i'm not buying this weather bs.  Burrow looked injured, scared or both.  I have watched every single Burrow game and I have never, ever seen him act like that.

He did it last year. I know we put up points the first two games last year but he was feeling the pressure and struggling to read the defense. We'll see what his practice status is this week. But on a positive note we don't have to wait long to get an answer to some of these questions. I think we bounce back and hopefully enough to get a win on sunday.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And yet these free agents come here partly because of Pollack....

Only LC. The others just say the right things

Don’t forget other nfl players were clowning Pollack’s coaching techniques on twitter last year

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 05:07 PM)tms Wrote: I don't know.... still feel kinda grossed out by that one. I think we're "in trouble" only so far as we might have an injured quarterback. Because if that's the case, we are done. But if not, if he's fine and just had a bad game for whatever reason(s), there's honestly nothing to worry about. They'll learn from it, move on and come back stronger.

I think that there be a little more to it than bad weather and "our QB had an uncharacteristically bad game".  Tee Higgins had 0 catches on 8 targets.  Sure, the weather made the ball slick and affected QBs throws, but there were at least two plays that I remember where Joe threw it to a spot and Tee went the other way on the route.  There were a couple more that were off his hands, wet ball or not, he's much too polished of an elite level athlete to not have at least reeled in a couple of those targets.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that there be a little more to it than bad weather and "our QB had an uncharacteristically bad game".  Tee Higgins had 0 catches on 8 targets.  Sure, the weather made the ball slick and affected QBs throws, but there were at least two plays that I remember where Joe threw it to a spot and Tee went the other way on the route.  There were a couple more that were off his hands, wet ball or not, he's much too polished of an elite level athlete to not have at least reeled in a couple of those targets.

Agree with this. Week 1 last year is how I'd expect a 'uncharacteristically bad QB performance' to look. A guy who is making mistakes all over the place, but still able to find some connection. There was zero connection in the passing game on Sunday. A lot of that's on Burrow, but the WRs weren't exactly winning their battles. The fact we got literally ZERO going is quite concerning. There's rusty and there's an offence looking like they'd never met each other before the game. Based on the careers of these guys so far, you'd expect it's just a very weird outlier. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:27 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Only LC. The others just say the right things

Don’t forget other nfl players were clowning Pollack’s coaching techniques on twitter last year

Quote:CINCINNATI — Orlando Brown Jr. is learning a new blocking scheme under offensive line coach Frank Pollack Jr. and discussed the transition with AllBengals' Elise Jesse.

"So much I've learned, just really understanding my game," Brown said about the impact Pollack's had on him. "Focusing on, you know, my natural ability independent hand strikes, you know, using different angles in my footwork and sets within the system and winning within a system, man, it's been so much he's been able to teach us."

One word came to mind when Brown talked about the biggest thing Pollack is trying to implement.
"Consistency," Brown said. "I think that's the biggest thing is consistency. And he takes that approach every single day."

Yeah, the right things. He just put up a monster PFF number in his first game under Pollack
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 12:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, the right things. He just put up a monster PFF number in his first game under Pollack

He really did have a nice game. Cappa and Volson were terrible, the other two were barely serviceable according to their scores. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:18 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: He did it last year. I know we put up points the first two games last year but he was feeling the pressure and struggling to read the defense. We'll see what his practice status is this week. But on a positive note we don't have to wait long to get an answer to some of these questions. I think we bounce back and hopefully enough to get a win on sunday.

Ya, Wednesday correct?  Injury report comes out?

I'm pretty hopeful for next weekend.  

I was so absolutely stunned, shocked, disappointed at the level of suck I witnessed that I went crazy negative for a couple days.  I'm good now.  lol.

I think we bounce back this week.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 12:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, the right things. He just put up a monster PFF number in his first game under Pollack

What kind of moron doesn’t say the right things when going to a new organization?

And I hope you’re kidding about him having a monster game lol he was fine

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 01:05 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Ya, Wednesday correct?  Injury report comes out?

I'm pretty hopeful for next weekend.  

I was so absolutely stunned, shocked, disappointed at the level of suck I witnessed that I went crazy negative for a couple days.  I'm good now.  lol.

I think we bounce back this week.

We know this team is about 5000% percent better than what they were Sunday (wait... 5000% of 0... is?). They have the last two years worth of proving they are far better than this. It's pretty silly if anyone thinks Sunday is our 'new normal' or something, it was clearly a mess of a performance. Crap happens, if crap will happen, best it happens in Week 1. 

I'm personally expecting we'll be 0-2 after Sunday (not being a downer, just I feel the Ravens is a tough ask on only a week turnaround), but if anyone bounces back it's these Bengals. Not concerned for the season at this point, that's for sure.
Reply/Quote