Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
{ Postgame Reactions Thread - Week 1 }
(09-11-2023, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: One thing I don't know if anyone's pointed out or brought up, but Cleveland played an impressive game. Not so much Watson, as he was having the same problems as Burrow (he just had Chubb to bail him out) but their pass rush is relentless and their DB's played great. Credit to them. They looked good. Of course, the disfunction of that organization will rise up at some point, but hat's off to them.

The thing is, they won't look that good against the rest of the NFL though. We tend to make them look like a SB contender. (They beat us badly in our 1st game against them last year too.)
Reply/Quote
Crazy to think we won the turnover battle 2-0, and penalty yards, yet had this result. Field position was horrible the first half, yet bengals D kept them in it.

I’m not going to over react as it just shows up as an L, and if it’s a 1 point loss or 21, it all counts the same. Baltimore had a worse day yesterday for the marathon of a football season, we just had a bad first mile. Baltimore took a HUGE blow.

IMHO, we had the second best day yesterday in the AFC north, considering all the variables.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The game went worse than I thought as I figured we would at least make a respectable showing but a loss in the end. I posted a month ago we would be punting plenty and we did, and also we would look flat and out of sync which we were but I figured a loss by a TD not 21. Wet field, wet ball I don't buy that. Last year in Buffalo they looked great in a snowstorm. Snow, rain can't be that much different it's still wet conditions.

JB looked like a totally different QB that was lost all day. If the calf is a lingering injury it could be a problem all year. I doubt they turn it around in 1 week either. Whenever other teams lose a key player to injury like Ravens have they always seem to play lights out against us with a 2nd guy. Could be 0-2 after next week. I guessed Chubb would have a 100yd game and he did.

For the 1,000 time, if the Bengals don't develop a solid run game they will struggle against all teams as these defenses have figured out ways to stop our "big 3 weapons" in the air.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: By October? In this AFC? Yall forget what division Brady was in. Of course he and Bill could turn it around. Wasn't no one in that division threatening them.

In this AFC we won't have until October to turn it around.

Optimistic take, we could sneak into the playoffs with the 7 seed and win the SB like those damn Steelers did in 2005.  Maybe even start the run by beating them in Pittsburgh and crushing their dreams of a new era, like they did to us.  The jerks.

There we go, I just set the narrative.  We barely make the playoffs and then Burrow turns into Hulk Hogan who goes on an invincible tear after getting his ass kicked the entire season.  He guillotine leg drops the 49ers in the SB and then exorcises all the demons of this franchise, and we leave Penny Kickett in a heap on the field back in Picksburgh...yes, he's still laying there a month later they didn't even cart him out.
Reply/Quote
Brad Robbins by the numbers:

Punts: 10 (first in the NFL)
Avg: 40.9 yards (second to last in the NFL)
Net: 37.4 yards (only 4 punters did worse)
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 07:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am not worried.  That is all.

You should be... that is all.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing is, they won't look that good against the rest of the NFL though. We tend to make them look like a SB contender. (They beat us badly in our 1st game against them last year too.)

I wouldn't be too sure. They were stuck to Chase and Higgins like glue. That is not a fluke.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 08:49 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: This will be legendary to re-visit when Burrow finishes as a top 5 mvp candidate again, and the bengals finish with 11+ wins

Fish brains. The lot of you

Can you tell me next week's lottery numbers, too?
At this point (with the performance that was just shown), the Bengals are just as likely to finish below .500 as above it.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 06:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it was playcalling/lack of aggressiveness as much as the defense.

We suck when we aren't aggressive.

Hard to be aggressive when the QB struggles like that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 07:20 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Rams looking like world beaters compared to Bengals.   Apparently they new preseason was over.

Their starters didn't play in the preseason either. Compare those QB stats though.....

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 07:56 PM)M.W. Wrote: Quite possibly.  Nearly every time he lined up over center he was in the backfield almost instantaneously.  
It sucked however he is freakishly good.  Doesn't make any of our linemen the worst in the league after 1 game.

And that's on Zac for being in the spread shotgun offense the entire game. I would've been max protect & running the ball 60% of plays after that 1st quarter.
Reply/Quote
#Bengals OL had the worst pass block win rate at 30% in week 1.

#Patriots were next worst at 35%.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:34 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Crazy to think we won the turnover battle 2-0, and penalty yards, yet had this result.  Field position was horrible the first half, yet bengals D kept them in it.  

I’m not going to over react as it just shows up as an L, and if it’s a 1 point loss or 21, it all counts the same.  Baltimore had a worse day yesterday for the marathon of a football season, we just had a bad first mile.  Baltimore took a HUGE blow.

IMHO, we had the second best day yesterday in the AFC north, considering all the variables.

Dobbins was hurt much of last season too.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:39 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Brad Robbins by the numbers:

Punts: 10 (first in the NFL)
Avg: 40.9 yards (second to last in the NFL)
Net: 37.4 yards (only 4 punters did worse)

That’s rough. I’ve not been a fan of his so far but I hope he turns it around. I’m curious to see how he’ll do in dry conditions. If it’s still bad it might be time to bring Chrisman back or search for someone else
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 10:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: ...Can’t play from under center

I wonder how much of this was due to Burrow's calf?  Playing under center means more drop backs... calf gets used more.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:33 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: #Bengals OL had the worst pass block win rate at 30% in week 1.

#Patriots were next worst at 35%.

It’s Pollack. Year after year we bring in proven free agents who have done well other places and suddenly they struggle here. And he hasn’t developed a single draft pick. It’s time to move on and give another coach a shot.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:39 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I wonder how much of this was due to Burrow's calf?  Playing under center means more drop backs... calf gets used more.

It might have been, but they couldn't do much from under center in prior years either. Everyone knew they were running the ball when he went under center, and it just wasn't effective.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 09:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s been way longer than that. 2015 was the last time we had a good OL. That’s on Duke.

It all went downhill with letting Whitworth walk.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 08:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: Burrow was sacked twice and Mixon averaged 4.3 ypc, which is respectable with as much talent as the Browns have on their DL.  Our DL got more pressure on Watson than theirs got on Joe.  The OL was good enough considering the opposition.  Burrow just sucked.  I'm sure he will turn it around, but the only guy on offense that you could argue was worse today was Higgins, and even he managed to get open for what should have been a TD and Joe misfired.

This. Right. Here.

Reply/Quote
Yesterday would have been a good day to lean on the run game and use some PA/rollouts for easy completions to keep the chains moving. I understand we are a passing team and the offense runs through Burrow, but the coaches have to see that he doesn't have it, or the rain is an issue or both. The defense was playing well but eventually got gassed because we could not get any extended drives. We should have tired slowing the game down and ran the ball as much as possible.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote