Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential head coach candidates
(11-18-2018, 09:08 PM)mon4078 Wrote: If Marvin is let go at the end of the season,do we go after a offensive or defensive coach. Who would you look at for the job.

I realize it is someone that is "non-conventional", but I love the way the guy coaches and his teams seem to respond to him.  Even when they may not have top-tier talent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Campbell_(American_football_coach)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis ! He's here until he quits or Mike is no longer in charge. Sadly

But if we're dreaming offense for sure like Lafleur

(11-18-2018, 10:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, if we're dreaming, I definitely like the idea of LaFleur.

Peter? sure, can't be worse than Marv  Ninja

[Image: peterlafleurcharacter.jpg]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Merv isn’t going anywhere. If he does, it’s Hue.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:03 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Although keep an eye on Minnesota if Zimmer doesn't win a playoff game he might be looking for a new job.

I was thinking the same thing tonight, he may be gone if he doesn't win this year esp after all the money they threw at Kirk Cousins...
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I realize it is someone that is "non-conventional", but I love the way the guy coaches and his teams seem to respond to him.  Even when they may not have top-tier talent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Campbell_(American_football_coach)

Matt Campbell is a great up and coming football mind.  However, I get the impression that the wealthy alumni donors from Ohio St. already have him penciled in to be Urban Meyer's successor.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 09:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Matt Campbell is a great up and coming football mind.  However, I get the impression that the wealthy alumni donors from Ohio St. already have him penciled in to be Urban Meyer's successor.

Mikey will never hire a 'great up and coming football mind'. Any worthy coach will walk away once he talks to Mikey and realizes how slow the tree sloth works. And any potential coach would contact ML and talk to him about the organization. If ML is gone, we will get a re-tread or someone desperate for a HC gig. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:35 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Mikey will never hire a 'great up and coming football mind'. Any worthy coach will walk away once he talks to Mikey and realizes how slow the tree sloth works. And any potential coach would contact ML and talk to him about the organization. If ML is gone, we will get a re-tread or someone desperate for a HC gig. 

I never understand this claim. There are only 32 of these jobs in world. THIRTY TWO. I’m sure plenty of really good coaches would kill to coach the Cincinnati Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 09:08 PM)mon4078 Wrote: If Marvin is let go at the end of the season ...

[Image: giphy.gif]

(11-19-2018, 09:02 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Merv isn’t going anywhere. If he does, it’s Hue.

100% this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Next time the Mega Millions gets high, I say we all chip in and buy as many tickets as we can. Then mail them to Marvin.

Maybe... just maybe... if he wins a billion bucks, he'll retire and we can get a coach who isn't content with losing.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I never understand this claim. There are only 32 of these jobs in world. THIRTY TWO. I’m sure plenty of really good coaches would kill to coach the Cincinnati Bengals.

And yet we would go with Hue, because we need to make sure our players are comfy and things won't change for them...
Reply/Quote
Mikey is going to promote the D coordinator to Head Coach just to show you he is not afraid to chenge things up!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 09:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: John Madden....since we are talking about something that won’t happen anyways haha.

Yeah, this conversation is always depressing, knowing there will be guys out there who could turn this thing around but we'll never have one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I never understand this claim. There are only 32 of these jobs in world. THIRTY TWO. I’m sure plenty of really good coaches would kill to coach the Cincinnati Bengals.

Some candidates simply won't take a job if it is 'where coaches go to die' so to speak. High end candidates will wait for the best opportunity, middle of the road candidates will jump at any job. Which is why we will get middle of the road. Which is exactly where Mikey likes to be. 

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:17 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Some candidates simply won't take a job if it is 'where coaches go to die' so to speak. High end candidates will wait for the best opportunity, middle of the road candidates will jump at any job. Which is why we will get middle of the road. Which is exactly where Mikey likes to be. 

I would think this would be a pretty desirable job to have.  If you turn it around, there will be statues of you built in prominent places.  And even if you don't, the job is yours for as long as you want it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:19 PM)Benton Wrote: Maybe... just maybe... if he wins a billion bucks, he'll retire and we can get a coach who isn't content with losing.

I don't know about this.  Marvin has won more games than he has lost against other NFL coaches.  If he is able to do that while being "content with losing" then that means a majority of NFL coaches must also be content with losing.

You people take this way to personal.  It is okay to criticize a coach for failing to win, but there is no need to turn it into a personal vendetta where the coach is evil or lazy or has some sort of personality disorder.

Marvin works his ass off to try and get the Bengals to win.  He has a huge ego and his personal reputation is defined by the won loss record of the Bengals.  It is ridiculous to claim he "isn't trying" or is "content with losing".  The fact is it is very hard to win in the NFL.  If there ever was an NFL coach who was "content with losing" I guarantee he would not have a winning record like Marvin.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know about this.  Marvin has won more games than he has lost against other NFL coaches.  If he is able to do that while being "content with losing" then that means a majority of NFL coaches must also be content with losing.

You people take this way to personal.  It is okay to criticize a coach for failing to win, but there is no need to turn it into a personal vendetta where the coach is evil or lazy or has some sort of personality disorder.

Marvin works his ass off to try and get the Bengals to win.  He has a huge ego and his personal reputation is defined by the won loss record of the Bengals.  It is ridiculous to claim he "isn't trying" or is "content with losing".  The fact is it is very hard to win in the NFL.  If there ever was an NFL coach who was "content with losing" I guarantee he would not have a winning record like Marvin.

Fine.  He's got all the want to in the world.  It's the able to he seems to have misplaced.

Reply/Quote
New coach..... LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3792479]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know about this.  Marvin has won more games than he has lost against other NFL coaches.  If he is able to do that while being "content with losing" then that means a majority of NFL coaches must also be content with losing.

"For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow, that nobody can deny"!! 3 cheers for Marvin!!
In all honesty Fred, I really don't give a fat rat's ass what his record is, barely above 500 btw, but he isn't getting it done....
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:34 PM)sandwedge Wrote: "For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow, that nobody can deny"!! 3 cheers for Marvin!!
In all honesty Fred, I really don't give a fat rat's ass what his record is, barely above 500 btw, but he isn't getting it done....

Seems the entire point of my post went over your head.

Guess that is what I get when I try to make a rational post on a Monday after a loss.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:22 PM)McC Wrote: I would think this would be a pretty desirable job to have.  If you turn it around, there will be statues of you built in prominent places.  And even if you don't, the job is yours for as long as you want it.

Not sure it is that desirable. The owner will not make the moves needed to win a championship (regardless of how much he may talk about it) so how is that desirable for a highly motivated coach? If the coach says 'we needs help in the following areas.." and the owner says 'we will go to war with what we have", how is this desirable? Sounds more frustrating to me. 

Reply/Quote