Poll: Which of these two playoff paths would you prefer?
3-seed - host [Jets, Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins, or Ravens] in the WC round, then [probably] go on the road to Buffalo/KC
5-seed - travel to the Titans in the WC round and then [probably] stay on the road in Buffalo/KC
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Preferred playoff path?
I have deliberately left the 1-seed out of the poll, because it would be a pretty obvious choice were it available. Technically some people might decline that option if they think a bye week would disrupt momentum, but generally I would expect the poll to be pointless with it. So to be clear:

I think the Bengals are still very much alive for the 1-seed and the 2-seed.

So if we set that aside and consider two other possibilities that I would call comparable: the 3-seed and the 5-seed, given the current playoff postures of teams in the mix, how do we feel about them? It's possible this poll still goes the "obvious" direction by favoring the better seed, so I will expand at the end of the post.

If the Bengals win out and the Chiefs win out, the Bengals are guaranteed to finish with the 2-seed.
The 2-seed hosts the worst wild card team (7-seed) in the first round (likely the Jets, Chargers, Patriots, or maaaybe the Dolphins).
In the second round, they host the other highest-seeded winning team in the divisional round (likely the Bills).
In the conference championship, they go to Arrowhead or otherwise host anyone else.

If the Bengals win the AFC North, but lose in week 17 to the Bills, then they most likely finish with the 3-seed.
The 3-seed hosts the 6-seed in the first round (likely the Jets, Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins, or maaaybe the Ravens).
In the second round, they travel to the 2-seed (either the Bills or Chiefs) or otherwise host anyone else if the 2-seed gets dropped in the WC round.
In the conference championship, they travel to the Bills or Chiefs or otherwise host anyone else.

If the Bengals don't win the AFC North, then they most likely finish as the 5-seed.
The 5-seed travels to the 4-seed in the WC round (most likely the Titans, outside chance of the Jaguars).
In the second round, they most likely travel to the 2-seed (probably the Bills or Chiefs). If the 2-seed gets upset, then they travel to the 3-seed (probably the Ravens).
In the conference championship, they're most likely on the road anywhere barring a sequence of major upsets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If this feels very obvious to you, that's fine.

The real question lies in the first round. Would you rather receive an easier first round in exchange for a tougher road after that? I have seen a number of people indicate that they would love the 5-seed, but not necessarily on this forum.

My own perspective, personally, is not quite the obvious one. 1-seed > 2-seed > 5-seed > 3-seed

I do think the question is interesting enough to be worth asking though. I cannot deny that opening the playoffs @Tennessee has a clear appeal, and the 5-seed achieves that. It might be preferable to hosting the Dolphins or Chargers, for example, since they can score in a heartbeat. Clearly it would be most ideal to just get a top 2 seed and put it to bed.
Reply/Quote
Chiefs lose one game
Ravens win every game up leading up to week 18
Bengals win out and go from #5 seed to #1 on the last day by crushing the Ravens on Sunday Night Football
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Whatever seed let’s us play the Jets or Titans if they make it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Go for one home game. I like our chances at home vs anybody better than on the road vs anyone save the Jets (who are not making it anyway).
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 09:34 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Chiefs lose one game
Ravens win every game up leading up to week 18
Bengals win out and go from #5 seed to #1 on the last day by crushing the Ravens on Sunday Night Football

Don’t think they have SNF that week.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 10:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Don’t think they have SNF that week.

Didn't the Chargers and Raiders play SNF the last week of last year? Where a toe would've gotten them both in, and Staley went for the win?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 10:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Don’t think they have SNF that week.

They do.

They always flex the most "important" or maybe most important and intersting playoff-implicating game to that Sunday night. 

No Monday night game though.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 10:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They do.

They always flex the most "important" or maybe most important and intersting playoff-implicating game to that Sunday night. 

Yeah, outside of our game, realistically the only other game to decide a division would be the Buccs/Falcons game.  That also could be Brady's last game.  But they would still have to give our game the nod, right?    
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 10:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They do.

Maybe I was thinking the Monday game. Thx.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 10:47 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, outside of our game, realistically the only other game to decide a division would be the Buccs/Falcons game.  That also could be Brady's last game.  But they would still have to give our game the nod, right?    

There's a very real possibility that Jaguars @ Titans decides the AFC South in week 18.
Reply/Quote
And if so, that makes this question more interesting. How about a playoff game at Jacksonville? I might actually like that less than a game at Tennessee.
Reply/Quote
Home field through the playoffs.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Let’s just hope for no more injuries. Looks like we get everybody back but Awouzie. The Titans and Browns can rush the ball with anybody. We stuffed them. I think the OL is still improving. Me and a few others said if the run game would flourish it would make this offense lethal. As good as we are playing I don’t think we’ve reached its peak. Going to the RPO’s and being very successful in the run game has ignited this offense. It’s made covering our receivers a nightmare. I’m not scared of anybody now. Do I think in a round Robin of KC, Cincy, and the Bills all 3 would go 1-1. It’s that close and the hot QB rules the day.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I like the 3 seed better than the 5 obviously, but I just don't want to play a weird team like the Jags who are getting it
together. We have beaten most of the big boys and can beat the Titans but I would like to be at Home this time around.

Been a real hoot (sounding like an old man) watching an actually packed Home Stadium this year with young, energetic
fans that keep it loud when we play Defense. We got a 12th man now same as the Squawks.

Also, another team no one wants to play besides the Jags and us right now is the Lions...

Hope those guys keep on winning.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 10:47 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, outside of our game, realistically the only other game to decide a division would be the Buccs/Falcons game.  That also could be Brady's last game.  But they would still have to give our game the nod, right?    

No doubt.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Preferred path is #1 seed and we play the #7 seed and the #6 seed in the two rounds.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
If you really want this team to be what you always wanted it to be, you have to say "Win the division" and let the chips fall where they may. Worrying about playoff match-ups is loser-think.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 01:01 AM)Roland Wrote: If you really want this team to be what you always wanted it to be, you have to say "Win the division" and let the chips fall where they may.   Worrying about playoff match-ups is loser-think.

Agree with this, just take care of our own business and keep the our motor humming

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Any path that doesn't include a trip to Arrowhead would be my preference.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
If we win out, we are #2 at worst, as we'd win the division and have the TB vs the Bills. We'd host the Dolphins/Ravens/Chargers/Pats/Jets in Rd 1.

We'd likely host the Bills in Rd 2.

If the Chief's stumble we'd have homefield in the AFC title game for (I think) the first time in over 40 years (Chargers freeze game). If not, delay the trip to Arrowhead for as long as possible.

Gonna be tough given the schedule, but that is the path we should seek.
Reply/Quote