Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Premature Whistle? what the NFL says
According to the post game press reports the VP of officiating Walt Anderson, the referees determined that there was in fact a whistle but that it had been blown after the pass had been caught. The review showed Burrow was in and that Boyd legally caught the pass in bounds. They could not review for the whistle per NFL rules.

In my view the whistle was blown simultaneous with Boyd touching the ball

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Interesting but the whistle was done while ball was in the air right? It was about 0.5 seconds before Boyd caught it when I saw it on replay couple times lol. I definitely won't be watching NFL highlights this week to avoid all the whistle talk.
Reply/Quote
The play was a TD with no penalties.

Keep the refs out of influencing games is all I say damn it.SmackMad
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:17 PM)pally Wrote: According to the post game press reports the VP of officiating Walt Anderson, the referees determined that there was in fact a whistle but that it had been blown after the pass had been caught.  The review showed Burrow was in and that Boyd legally caught the pass in bounds.  They could not review for the whistle per NFL rules.

In my view the whistle was blown simultaneous with Boyd touching the ball

Doesn't really matter cuz the blown whistle was whack and the Bengals deserved that TD.
Tiger
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The play was a TD with no penalties.

Keep the refs out of influencing games is all I say damn it.SmackMad

The refs were the main thing on TV in the 3Q, it was a hard watch. Something's up with the NFL and the way they call penalties and when, lol
Reply/Quote
Looked to me the whistle blew maybe a split second before the ball hit his hands but even at that nobody was right next to him to make a play on the ball within that split second. I read a few Raiders fans complaining about it but I really don’t think it affected the play. JMO
Reply/Quote
The idiot ref shouldn't have blown the whistle anyway, burrow in bounds and easy TD. The refs have been pretty junk this year.
Reply/Quote
I would understand the fuss if players actually stopped because of the whistle, but the ball was already in the end zone when it was blown and not a single DB reacted to the whistle.
Reply/Quote
Most likely this crew's last playoff game this year. They were terrible
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
What a play that was by Burrow. That needs to be what people are talking about.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Most likely this crew's last playoff game this year. They were terrible

The roughing the passer on (was it Hubbard?) towards the end was laughable.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully it springboard's us like the tuck rule did the Pats.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The roughing the passer on (was it Hubbard?) towards the end was laughable.

Kareem
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The roughing the passer on (was it Hubbard?) towards the end was laughable.

Yep total BS

And yes the whistle didn't effect the play in any way.
Reply/Quote
Accountability. We hear this all the time for teams and coaching staffs.

In a professional sport where millions are on the line Hopefully the NFL recognizes Refs influences and fine them for big mistakes.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Could the whistle have come from the crowd? I doubt it, but I suppose it's possible.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Accountability. We hear this all the time for teams and coaching staffs.

In a professional sport where millions are on the line Hopefully the NFL recognizes Refs influences and fine them for big mistakes.

Was the 2018 nfc championship crew fined for that non call obvious pass interference?
Reply/Quote
I'm glad we aren't Raiders fans or we'd probably have too many threads talking about this play. Who Dey! We won, so we have the pleasure of not giving a rats ass about this play other than knowing Joey B threw a TD to TB.
Reply/Quote

(01-15-2022, 11:25 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Kareem

It wasn't roughing, but I can understand why someone threw that flag, depending on where they were standing.  Both Tirico and Brees pointed out it was a terrible call but Carr did his best to sell it by snapping his head back and falling dramatically.  If you were off to the side of that play, that's enough to look like forceful contact to the head.  The problem is that there is only one person watching the QB, so if he throw that flag in a bogus situation, there is no other official to point out it is in error, as opposed to the defensive backfield where you see a guy throw the flag and another official come in from a better angle to over rule the flag.  This is why they need a Sky Judge on all plays with the ability to nullify or call for a flag when appropriate.
Reply/Quote
I like how the TV crew was trying to act like it affected the outcome of the coverage.

Even in slow motion the whistle is milliseconds prior to Boyd getting his fingers on the ball.

What the players were reacting too was after-the-fact of the catch whether there was a penalty and if the TD counted.

In real time no way it changed the play.

They were distracted by Burrow's scramble dropping coverage.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote