Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Preseason Game 2 WFT pros and cons
(08-21-2021, 10:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-preseason-week-2-game-recap-washington-football-17-cincinnati-bengals-13

From the WFT side…

Defensive Line

Washington's much-vaunted defensive front wasn’t winning its battles with an offensive line it should have dominated. The starters didn’t last a long time or make a big impact.

Can’t ask for much more out of an OL unit still figuring it out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 10:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Very encouraging stuff from both lines.

Saw Michael Jordan had an 83 in pass block on pff. The whole line had pretty good grades. We say we want improved trenches and no injuries… I’d say last night was a good night in those departments.
Reply/Quote
I was really disappointed in the offense. No identity. Plays don't work off each other. Just a bunch or random pop gun screens, 3 yard routes, and runs that develop slow in the backfield. Defenders don't have to worry about anything going on behind them allowing them to sit and murder anything in front of them. Makes it really easy for Lbers and safeties to play fast.

If you can't run the ball downhill and throw it deep in the league you are in trouble. I don't think this Zac guy is gonna make it. Some of the ugliest games I've seen have come under him.

Defense was ok but some bad run fits obviously.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 10:53 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Saw Michael Jordan had an 83 in pass block on pff. The whole line had pretty good grades. We say we want improved trenches and no injuries… I’d say last night was a good night in those departments.

What did Carman grade out at?

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What did Carman grade out at?

Sorry, I don’t have PFF, just saw a screenshot on Facebook. Not sure on Carman.
Reply/Quote
I thought we did a good job in the trenches overall. Our starting DL looked very good. Our starting OL did not do well, but the refs did not help flagging Spain on a bogus holding call that put our offense in a deep hole immediately to start the game.

I was shocked to see Young and the DL starters in the game mid 2nd quarter against our second team OL. But, our second string OL was a bright spot last night against a stout DL group.

I do not like our backup QB position group. If Burrow goes down, we are in huge trouble. I am not impressed with Perrine, but it is preseason.

The big elephant in the room las t night was Chase. wow no other words other than he was really bad last night. Overall. the offense was dismal last night and Allen needs to learn how to put touch on the football, he was not accurate and throwing the ball flat all night.

I do think McPherson may end up being a steal in round 5. He has won the job and I love his accuracy, but also his strength and power.

Hodge flashed again as did Sample at DE.

I would like us to address 3 things off the waiver wire or FA;

1. LB - Would love Wright
2. WR - We need a better 5th or 6th option.
3. QB - Sign a vet QB to backup Burrow.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What did Carman grade out at?

https://twitter.com/pff_andrewr/status/1429070795788140548?s=21
Reply/Quote
The Bengals looked like a pop Warner team. They couldn't tackle a 2nd string RB, couldn't catch the ball, and had embarrassing penalties. 
Reply/Quote
Chase is another John Ross. How can you draft receivers that are afraid to get tackled.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:15 AM)MickMack Wrote: 75.0

https://twitter.com/pff_andrewr/status/1429070795788140548?s=21

Thanks. Kid is coming along nicely.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:22 AM)Artsmart Wrote: Chase is another John Ross. How can you draft receivers that are afraid to get tackled.

And this folks is what’s commonly referred to as a “sock puppet.” Two years on the board and that’s your first and only post? Yeah, not fishy at all…

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:08 AM)bonesaw Wrote: I was really disappointed in the offense.  No identity.  Plays don't work off each other.  Just a bunch or random pop gun screens, 3 yard routes, and runs that develop slow in the backfield.  Defenders don't have to worry about anything going on behind them allowing them to sit and murder anything in front of them.  Makes it really easy for Lbers and safeties to play fast.  

If you can't run the ball downhill and throw it deep in the league you are in trouble.  I don't think this Zac guy is gonna make it.  Some of the ugliest games I've seen have come under him.  

Defense was ok but some bad run fits obviously.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing schematicly from the Bengals. The last two weeks they have run through a ton of different formations for a wide zone team and this week we have seen variations off those formations than we seen against the Bucs. One example was early in both games in game one it had Tyler Boyd running a route lined tight to the formation and making a catch. In the second game similar alightment wide zone run Tyler Boyd vs Chase Young run blocking. Yes that isn't ideal as a run play but for that first play to work the second play has to be a threat. 

I really liked the eye candy with the jet motions. They never flipped it to the WR (once they should have because of the defensive alightment) but it's a possibility and keep defense watching that.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 10:24 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: The only pros I saw last night were the young kicker looks like he can be a 10 year guy for us, and Tate continues to make difficult catches.

Outside of that, there was nothing to write home about...

Are you kidding me? We just played Tampa Bay and WFT, two of the best defensive lines in the league. Have they even sniffed our QB? It may not be pretty, but this line combination is giving great pass protection. Give Joe Burrow this amount of time, and he will have a field day.
Reply/Quote
Gotta say, Hendrickson is looking like the real deal. He’s been in on both of the sacks with first team D the past two weeks.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you kidding me? We just played Tampa Bay and WFT, two of the best defensive lines in the league. Have they even sniffed our QB? It may not be pretty, but this line combination is giving great pass protection. Give Joe Burrow this amount of time, and he will have a field day.

As I said in another thread. All I’ve heard all offseason is that we wouldn’t even be able to get the ball to chase because the QB would be sacked. Chase had plenty of chances last night because the line is playing good enough.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you kidding me? We just played Tampa Bay and WFT, two of the best defensive lines in the league. Have they even sniffed our QB? It may not be pretty, but this line combination is giving great pass protection. Give Joe Burrow this amount of time, and he will have a field day.

Yep. They’ve had two goof ups in pass protection. 1 was last weeks penalty where Vogel just flat got beat, and last night where the snap count was clearly the issue as 3 of the 5 linemen didn’t even move .
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:49 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yep. They’ve had two goof ups in pass protection. 1 was last weeks penalty where Vogel just flat got beat, and last night where the snap count was clearly the issue as 3 of the 5 linemen didn’t even move .

Yeah, Vogel will not be here, and last night's snap count snafu was from a QB that should never see the field. I, for one, am very impressed with what Pollack has done with the O line and what Lou and his coaches have done with the defense. This team will make some noise this year.
Reply/Quote
Good thing we didn't put Burrow out there to "get killed".

Pro: I like the White Shirt/Black Pant combo

Con: Huber closing in on The Rattler's games played record.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote:

Well look at Bad Billy Price getting it done against WFT's 1's......
Reply/Quote