Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Preseason Game 2 WFT pros and cons
Freedom had a good game last night as well. Very impressed with Hodges. He made the club last night.
Reply/Quote
I’m rewatching the game (as I missed the first half) and I’m not too concerned with Chase not catching those balls. They were awful throws where he was in very tight coverage/ not open. The ball shouldn’t have been thrown (was forced) and required a more accurate ball.

Honestly I think we played well considering no Burrow—against possibly the best defense in the nfl. The line played decent outside of the opening drive penalties—not giving up a sack against possibly the best rushing defense. The play calling was vanilla, but you don’t want to give too much away in preseason.

I liked what I saw from the defense. Number 24 did run past fitz on a free shot for a sack. And the opening play the receiver got wide open. Otherwise I thought they played really well. Got a nice sack on fitz and got a forced fumble and recovery on another play that led to points.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Appreciate the reports guys. I work second shift at a plant, couldn't watch the boys live last night. I'm starting to believe that maybe some of the Cincy media hype about the defense actually improving might be legitimate. I'm just not going to worry about offensive stuff until Joe is out there and we're trying 100%. Agree about lack of reliable backup, which goes back to the real issue of the OL. Whatever happens this season I don't want to hear any hemming and hawing about upgrading the lines. Especially O.
[Image: proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2...a3b09aaec9]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote:

That Logan Wilson grade…

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 07:53 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Interested to hear what people think

Cons

1. Our backup QB situation is awful. Allen was terrible. He doesn't really offer anything. The frustrating thing obviously is there is no alternative because the street is absolutely bare. RG3? Rosen? Bortles? Its ugly.

Personally I would not mind RG3. I'd have to actually see who's still available though to decide if he's my top choice. Guy was pretty smart in college and settled into the career backup role relatively nicely.

Well apparently he retired. I might would have kicked the tires on Bortles but oh well. Perhaps someone worthy of a backup spot may get cut by season start?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 08:45 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Agree with all of that. Only thing I will say about Tate. He does get it done. Yes he lacks separation looks a bit clumsy out there, but he makes a lot of plays. As a 4th receiver I just think he is such a nightmare physically. 

Totally agree with Hodge btw forgot to include him on my list. Was everywhere. Does make you think when back to health, I think our Dline is absolutely fine.

Also agree with Wilson, he seems fine, makes some nice plays but we do miss an enforcer back there. Really wonder why KJ Wright is still a FA.

Tate certainly does get things done and showed what he could do if used last year against the Titans.  I also like the extra work he has put in with Chad Johnson in the offseason on his footwork.  4-WR sets could be nightmares when Tate, Higgins, Boyd, and Chase are out there.  

With respect to defensive line, and the LBs, if Ossai and Sample pan out and then secondary continues to shine, AND the offensive line finds gems in Smith and Carman (I know, that is a shit-ton of IFs) but they COULD possibly go LB in Rd 1 next year if there is a Devon White-type in next year's draft class.   
Reply/Quote
They must have started grading Wilson after the Logan Thomas play.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I have been down on the OLine all offseason. This is not a Sewell thing at all, I just was not happy with the depth. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised though. The 3 rookies (Hill, Smith though he didn't play last night, and Carman) have been looking good. I also have to say that Price and Jordan have been playing better than expected. If this continues I feel much better about the season and will be more than happy to eat a large serving crow.

The defense looks good. I like Darius Hodge and think this kid has to make the team. The first play was poor, but I thought Wilson played well overall. Jalen Davis has been looking good too. Hubbard and Hendrickson getting to Fitz was great to see. I'm not sure if this is because of Lou at all or if there's enough talent and it's in spite of him.

I believe Chase will get it figured out. Only time will tell. I'd be more concerned about the offense if it was spurting and looking this bad with Burrow in the game. I definitely think we can upgrade the backup QB position. Even if they do reach an extension with Bates, they could afford to bring in a better backup.

All things considered, the team is looking better than I expected and that's without Burrow. I am trying to stay cautiously optimistic as its only preseason, but the OLine and defense have played well.
Reply/Quote
The offense in the first half was not good at all.
Part of that is the fact Burrow isn't out there, but the backup QB situation is bad.
I'm not seeing this resurgence in the running game that some people predicted once Pollack came back.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 12:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They must have started grading Wilson after the Logan Thomas play.

Yeah he bit the run and got lost... but one thing I noticed is after the play he looked and said something to the other linebacker.  We used to have a call for if the tight end crossed the other backers face and I don't think Logan got alerted.  Like if the TE ran an out route then the other LBer would've covered him.  He needs to see it without the call but it sure helps.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The offense in the first half was not good at all.
Part of that is the fact Burrow isn't out there, but the backup QB situation is bad.
I'm not seeing this resurgence in the running game that some people predicted once Pollack came back.

Well, he’s not a miracle worker. And right now he’s got a patchwork OL keeping our QB’s upright. That’s a good start. Plus he’s barely had Mixon in there. I’ve seen enough flashes from Evans and Patrick that I think we could have at least a decent run game though.

Reply/Quote
Could envision Dalton or Foles becoming available in the near future.

Probably Foles but per monetary reasons it may be Dalton.

Both would be great back up QB's for Bengals.

Doubt we get either though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Speaking of Chase....That was a Ross-like, lifeless performance.  I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he will rise at home next week when they are at home and there is more energy.  It was a travel game on a short week.  But he looked flat.  

I don't think the Ross comment is fair. Ross's biggest problem wasn't just drops or sloppy routes. His biggest problem and what ultimately landed him in the dog house was his complete lack of effort and tendency to give up on plays even when he's being targeted. 

I have two explicit memories of Ross literally just tailing off a deep route when he decided it was thrown too far, only for it to drop a yard or so in front of him, meaning he could have got it if he just kept going. 
Then there was another case where he was running a crossing route and was wide open, the pass was a hair too wide and he just let up and trotted to a walk.

Chase is nothing like that. Maybe he has a drops problem, maybe this is just an aberration, but one thing I know for sure is that he cares a lot about doing his job. So he'll never be as bad as John Ross.
Reply/Quote
Few other observations:

Irwin almost made a great play, which then turned into a horrible play, only to be somewhat forgotten because of what I consider a lame penalty.

Moss NEARLY had the ball jarred loose from a nice Landon Collins hit. Dude needs to be careful.

A little more air under the throw that was nearly picked by BA could’ve been a great play for Trent Edwards or whatever his name is. Had open field in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 07:53 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Interested to hear what people think

Pros
1. McPherson. We've been in the wilderness regarding a kicker for sometime. Sure we messed up with Elliot, but boy you have to be excited about the consistency of this guy. I'm seeing on twitter that beat writers can't remember seeing a better offseason from a kicker.

2. First team defense. I thought the unit looked really good. Dline is playing nasty the new additions to corner in Hilton and especially Awusie are playing great. The unsung player and signing of the offseason for me could well be Ogunjobi. Dude is gone be such a useful weapon in terms of interior penetration.

3. Jalen Davis looks to be a real diamond in the rough find.

4. Carmen's growth. Sure he isn't crushing first teamers but you cant ask more from the guy than what he was doing last night. Still really solid in pass pro and just playing nasty all night. Love to see it. We are in such a better position regards to the oline. We have the vets and you can see that the rookies are only going to improve.

5. Can we actually use Auden Tate this year already.

Cons

1. Our backup QB situation is awful. Allen was terrible. He doesn't really offer anything. The frustrating thing obviously is there is no alternative because the street is absolutely bare. RG3? Rosen? Bortles? Its ugly.

2. Chase. People are going to blow up about this. Sure, I can understand. But for a guy that hasnt played a year, catching wayward and hospital passes in preseason isnt a good combo. It's not a great look but neither is getting blown up in preseason. He has a bit of the yips. I'll worry if this continues into the regular season. Until then it's more disappointing then a worry for me.

3. Starting Oline. Some ugly plays on the opening series. They were going up against probably the most savage DLine in the league so I can understand the jitters but it wasn't ideal.

4. RBs. I know I'm going to be slightly in the minority here but I am far from comfortable with our current group. We know what Mixon can be but it feels like we havent seen it for a long time. Behind him, a lot of question marks for me. Patrick and Evans have shown talent but also (Evans in particular) some poor decision making. I think we are really going to miss having what Gio brought to the table year in year out.

Very fair synopsis....but I don't think Patrick has made any bad decisions. All I've seen is planting and hitting the hole....trucking LBs at times. He ain't flashy, but he may wind up a good guy to salt away games against tired defenses. He's not at all afraid of contact.

I'd add Hodge to that diamond in the rough category as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:49 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: As I said in another thread. All I’ve heard all offseason is that we wouldn’t even be able to get the ball to chase because the QB would be sacked. Chase had plenty of chances last night because the line is playing good enough.

That last sentence is where it's at. Good enough, and that's what we've been lacking since 2016.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 12:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Good thing we didn't put Burrow out there to "get killed".

Pro: I like the White Shirt/Black Pant combo

Con: Huber closing in on The Rattler's games played record.

Why is that a con b? Huber has been our MVP the last few years. LOL  Nervous

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not seeing this resurgence in the running game that some people predicted once Pollack came back.
Having a quarterback in there that doesn’t pose any fear of beating the defense makes it much tougher to run the ball. When the passing game works, the chunk running plays happen much more.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 02:22 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Having a quarterback in there that doesn’t pose any fear of beating the defense makes it much tougher to run the ball. When the passing game works, the chunk running plays happen much more.

“It’s the passing game’s fault that cincy can’t run the ball”
Reply/Quote
I thought Zac Taylor pulled the first team offense out of the game too fast last night. They had 3 quick series and there was still around 5 minutes in the 1st quarter when the backups went in. On the other side Washington's first team played 5 series on both offense and defense and was about 5 minutes into the second when they were pulled.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote