Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Preseason Game 2 WFT pros and cons
(08-21-2021, 02:29 PM)Synric Wrote: I thought Zac Taylor pulled the first team offense out of the game too fast last night. They had 3 quick series and there was still around 5 minutes in the 1st quarter when the backups went in. On the other side Washington's first team played 5 series on both offense and defense and was about 5 minutes into the second when they were pulled.

Perhaps WFT considered last night as their dress rehearsal; as they were 100%. We might have used it to get an extended look at the scrubs and use week 3 as our dress rehearsal with JB.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 01:30 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't think the Ross comment is fair. Ross's biggest problem wasn't just drops or sloppy routes. His biggest problem and what ultimately landed him in the dog house was his complete lack of effort and tendency to give up on plays even when he's being targeted. 

I have two explicit memories of Ross literally just tailing off a deep route when he decided it was thrown too far, only for it to drop a yard or so in front of him, meaning he could have got it if he just kept going. 
Then there was another case where he was running a crossing route and was wide open, the pass was a hair too wide and he just let up and trotted to a walk.

Chase is nothing like that. Maybe he has a drops problem, maybe this is just an aberration, but one thing I know for sure is that he cares a lot about doing his job. So he'll never be as bad as John Ross.

Ted Ginn Jr is a better comparison. Has speed, gave effort, just dropped it alot.

Not saying this will continue, but you are 100% right that Ross was a lack of effort and just overall not suited for the NFL. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 02:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps WFT considered last night as their dress rehearsal; as they were 100%. We might have used it to get an extended look at the scrubs and use week 3 as our dress rehearsal with JB.

Possibly but my guess would be Riverboat Ron is more old school and wanted a solid drive from his first team before pulling them while Zac wanted an exact number of drives.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This thread confuses me.

Anyone that was listed as a con outside of the QB play is dismissed as it is pre-season and doesn't matter and it'll be fine when the games matter.

On the flip side, people are celebrating numbers from a game that as above stated doesn't matter.

How do you excuse the bad as not important while saying the good is important?

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 02:48 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This thread confuses me.

Anyone that was listed as a con outside of the QB play is dismissed as it is pre-season and doesn't matter and it'll be fine when the games matter.

On the flip side, people are celebrating numbers from a game that as above stated doesn't matter.

The only thing I don't consider important in a preseason game is the score. I consider performance, both good and bad, important. 

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 02:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Possibly but my guess would be Riverboat Ron is more old school and wanted a solid drive from his first team before pulling them while Zac wanted an exact number of drives.

That's the thing. We were missing the most important part of our 1st team. 

Reply/Quote
Pros
The oline is communicating better. The Skins tried a couple
Stunts and twists and the Bengals oline picked it up

The overall tackling is better than years past.

Defense is taking better pursuit angles to.the ball carrier

Cons.
Still.seeing TEs being left wide open. This has been a issue
For years now.

No rhythm to the offense vanilla or not.

Seeing too many throws to.the end that the WR only has
A 30% chance of catching.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 01:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, he’s not a miracle worker. And right now he’s got a patchwork OL keeping our QB’s upright. That’s a good start. Plus he’s barely had Mixon in there. I’ve seen enough flashes from Evans and Patrick that I think we could have at least a decent run game though.

Bucs: 3.6 YPC (includes 2 kneel-downs)
WFT: 4.6 YPC

Doesn't look THAT bad so far...

(08-21-2021, 01:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Few other observations:

Irwin almost made a great play, which then turned into a horrible play, only to be somewhat forgotten because of what I consider a lame penalty.

Moss NEARLY had the ball jarred loose from a nice Landon Collins hit. Dude needs to be careful.

A little more air under the throw that was nearly picked by BA could’ve been a great play for Trent Edwards or whatever his name is. Had open field in front of him.

The ball should've been out of Allen's hands AT LEAST 2 seconds earlier; Moss was sitting there, waiting and Allen either pumped or hesitated, but you could see the timing was off.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Pros: I thought the defense once again exceeded my expectations. Hodge looked good again. I like Wilson alot and I think his good plays were better than his bad ones. I know its way too early but this defense has me psyched. I'll admit I laughed to myself this offseason when people were saying Lou just needed players to fit his scheme. But it looks like he might've put a pretty good unit together. Fingers crossed.

The Oline. Without Joe Burrow the only thing that really mattered on offense was seeing the pass protection and they did that adequately.

Cons: Obviously Chase although some of blame really isn't on him still a little concerning. I would've liked to throw him one on first down or get him an easy one but there's definitely gonna be some points this season where he's gonna be asked to make some tough catches and you'd like to see him catch probably two of those passes.

The running game. It could definitely have been better but I'm not really concerned. Tampa and WFT are tough to run on and our starters really only had 5 rushes.

If I'm being picky I'd say Spain. I by no means watch/focus on the Oline but I rewatched the 1st 3 series to see how the line looked in pass pro. Spain had the hold and there was a few other times he stuck out to me for negative reasons ( probably because he's the LG and I was really trying to see how Jonah did with Chase). It would've been nice if D'nte hadn't had the hydration issue and got a chance to start would've been a really good chance for him to step up.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 02:48 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This thread confuses me.

Well Allen is a 5 year vet at the most important position in football and he has never shown anything but mediocrity.

I can excuse the play of Carmen, Chase, Evans etc because well obviously, they are not a veteran quarterback.

Plus the mistakes at the start from the oline were mental errors not blown assignments or poor blocking. So it's far less or a worry.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 04:13 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Well Allen is a 5 year vet at the most important position in football and he has never shown anything but mediocrity.

I can excuse the play of Carmen, Chase, Evans etc because well obviously, they are not a veteran quarterback.

So he is doing what he has always done? Outside of one game last year that was clearly an anomaly.

Reply/Quote
Pros:

OL looked decent all night except for one screwup by the third string where half the line missed the snap. They followed up on keeping the QB clean against Tampa's superb DL by doing the same versus another high caliber DL.

First Team D looked sharp too.

MacPherson was a boss again.

Cons:

Brandon Allen was embarrassingly bad. He had a clean pocket and plenty of time and did nothing with it.

Second and third team D had problems tackling

Chase had the bad outing, but really needed to be left out there until he could get in sync.

And....

The offensive plays were kind of baffling. What is the point of having a WR trio like ours and not going deep at all? Why have bigger backs like Patrick and Mixon and Perine and no power runs? It felt like we were deliberately not using our strengths last night.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 05:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: Pros:

OL looked decent all night except for one screwup by the third string where half the line missed the snap. They followed up on keeping the QB clean against Tampa's superb DL by doing the same versus another high caliber DL.

First Team D looked sharp too.

MacPherson was a boss again.

Cons:

Brandon Allen was embarrassingly bad. He had a clean pocket and plenty of time and did nothing with it.

Second and third team D had problems tackling

Chase had the bad outing, but really needed to be left out there until he could get in sync.

And....

The offensive plays were kind of baffling. What is the point of having a WR trio like ours and not going deep at all? Why have bigger backs like Patrick and Mixon and Perine and no power runs? It felt like we were deliberately not using our strengths last night.

Legatron spells his name without the a. Wink

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 05:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Legatron spells his name without the a. Wink

I like that nickname! Legatron!
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 05:38 PM)Joelist Wrote: I like that nickname! Legatron!

Greg Zurlein is Legatron

Did u not know this?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 04:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So he is doing what he has always done? Outside of one game last year that was clearly an anomaly.

What's your point? He's not good.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 05:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: The offensive plays were kind of baffling. What is the point of having a WR trio like ours and not going deep at all? Why have bigger backs like Patrick and Mixon and Perine and no power runs? It felt like we were deliberately not using our strengths last night.

I feel like their only thought is to make it through preseason with the least injuries possible… Duke mentioned in one of his pressers that is was key this year to stay healthy. To me, they’ve taken that maybe too far to a fault, but I think it explains the weirdness of the play calling. Avoiding putting anyone in a risky situation… but those situations will come in week 1 so I’m not sure what the hesitation is.
Reply/Quote
Allen was beyond terrible.
Starting to get really concerned about Chase.I hale to compare him to Ross,but he sure played the part last night.Seriously needs to get his act together.Lack of effort also seemed to come into play.......just like ROSS.

Really encouraging though to see so many rookies playing so well on both sides of the ball.Seems like Darius Hodge is a highlight almost every play.I like the intensity he brings to the game.I think Irwin would have had a big game,had Joe Burrow been in there.The defense is fun to watch.First team defense with something like 2 sacks,a stoppage on fourth down,pas break-ups,in what little time they played.

Overall,main concerns at this point is back-up Quarback,and Chase slacking.For this team to be successful,Chase needs to really step it up to a new level.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 05:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Greg Zurlein is Legatron

Did u not know this?

Don't care. I like the nickname. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 05:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Don't care. I like the nickname. 

How unoriginal and lame

Reddit is a cesspool
Reply/Quote