Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
***Preseason GameDay Thread - Bengals @ Commanders***
(08-26-2023, 08:25 PM)Joelist Wrote: Physically limited plays by backups don't necessarily rankle me, after all they are backups. MENTAL mistakes (like throwing into triple coverage) really get my goat.

Offense did look good tho.

Kinda disappointed because i thought Jones was much more than this. Great hands and routes but absolutely cannot break a tackle for shit. Which will probably translate to not being able to get good releases off the LOS. His only hope as a player is slot WR with alot of motion to keep him from getting pressed. Dude is LIGHT AS HELL in the drawls. Like so light it actually hurts his game cause he can’t break a tackle for shit.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Simeon makes the team because Zac would look stupid having personal interest in a QB just to cut him.

Ego wise, Trevor has to make it

Also Browning is a 27 year old 3rd string QB. He’s absolutely not getting snatched from the PS.

Someone desperate would probably still take a flyer on Trevor if we cut him.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Man, two heinous penalties by our OL depth aren't looking good for them. Hill with the facemask on a spectacular grab by Tanner Hudson on a 3rd down play not only killed the drive, but swung the momentum toward Washington, as they went right down and scored. Then you have Scharping at Center, after a couple of high snaps to Browning in the 1st Quarter, commits an unnecessary holding that negates a really nice run by a guy who's just trying to put something good on film.

On another note, Stock UP for Tanner Hudson, at least in my book.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:03 PM)pally Wrote: Gunter over Ossai...yeah right.  Ossai by all accounts has had an outstanding camp and he has played well in pre-season. Gunter will be lucky to make the team

Hendrickson
Hubbard
DJ Reader
Bj Hill
Ossai
Carter
Sample
Murphy (we are NOT cutting our 1st round draft pick)

Tupou
Tufele

The first 8 are locks.  Gunter may be in the fight for one of those last 2 spots but you would also throw Dominque Davis and Raymond Johnson into that mix

Why do we do this? We dismiss other's opinions as silly.

Perhaps you can answer the question instead of dismissing the premise. If Ossai looked good in camp and is a lock, then why was he out there?

I'm of the opinion this game is for rookies to get game time and vets competing for a job.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Man, two heinous penalties by our OL depth aren't looking good for them. Hill with the facemask on a spectacular grab by Tanner Hudson on a 3rd down play not only killed the drive, but swung the momentum toward Washington, as they went right down and scored. Then you have Scharping at Center, after a couple of high snaps to Browning in the 1st Quarter, commits an unnecessary holding that negates a really nice run by a guy who's just trying to put something good on film.

On another note, Stock UP for Tanner Hudson, at least in my book.

I’m ok with 4 TEs if need be. Don’t know how you are gonna play the 4th guy but i just don’t see Asiasi being a keeper. Wouldn’t be mad if we sacrificed a lineman spot to get Hudson tho. Hill would be my 1st pick. MS has been good enough at backup C to cut Hill imo.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I'm intrigued by Saylor hopefully they get some more snaps in the 2nd half
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:28 PM)Housh Wrote: Offense did look good tho.

Kinda disappointed because i thought Jones was much more than this. Great hands and routes but absolutely cannot break a tackle for shit. Which will probably translate to not being able to get good releases off the LOS. His only hope as a player is slot WR with alot of motion to keep him from getting pressed. Dude is LIGHT AS HELL in the drawls. Like so light it actually hurts his game cause he can’t break a tackle for shit.

Jones was actually my favorite pick from the draft. He lit it up in college. But so far it’s been more Chuck Fizzle than Chuck Sizzle in the preseason. I keep waiting for him to make someone miss. He’s also looked a little slow. I hope he gets it going because I think the hope is he becomes Boyd’s replacement in the slot.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:33 PM)treee Wrote: I'm intrigued by Saylor hopefully they get some more snaps in the 2nd half

Definitely, he looked pretty smooth on that play that was called back.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:24 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: LOL

Never knew it had a different name in the states.

Decent first half from the lads, Ossai should never have been on the field and as for old Trevor hopefully someone is in the Bengals locker room as we speak packing his stuff so he can leave as soon as they get back to Cincinnati.

So molasses is only called that here? I know the word treacle, I just thought it was an older outdated word. Live and learn.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:32 PM)Housh Wrote: I’m ok with 4 TEs if need be. Don’t know how you are gonna play the 4th guy but i just don’t see Asiasi being a keeper. Wouldn’t be mad if we sacrificed a lineman spot to get Hudson tho. Hill would be my 1st pick. MS has been good enough at backup C to cut Hill imo.

The problem with that is that Hill has shown that he can't handle the pressure in pass pro at G, as evidenced by the facemask call negating a fantastic catch by Hudson.  THEN, Hill follows that play up by whiffing on his first block, and then lunging and falling on the ground on the ensuing play, leading to a 4th and 23.  Scharping hasn't really looked "great" either.  He had at least two high shotgun snaps and a costly holding penalty.

I stand by my JN post calling for putting a claim in for Nick Harris.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I had high hopes for Kirkland, but he'll be lucky to mak the PS
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So molasses is only called that here?  I know the word treacle, I just thought it was an older outdated word. Live and learn.

it's not the first time I had to look up one of your vocabulary words. Cue a joke about those of you from England need to learn to speak English. (I'm actually enjoying picking up words from the motherland.)
Reply/Quote
I’m done with simian. Let’s see that other guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So molasses is only called that here? I know the word treacle, I just thought it was an older outdated word. Live and learn.

It’s also used as a greeting to a women “Hello treacle” LOL

If you asked someone over here what molasses was they wouldn’t have a bloody clue.
Reply/Quote
I guess you have to play cautious against a beast like Fromm
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:44 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’m done with simian. Let’s see that other guy.

The fact that you spelled his name as primate probably says all we need to known about his prospects as the Bengals backup QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 08:46 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: It’s also used as a greeting to a women “Hello treacle” LOL

If you asked someone over here what molasses was they wouldn’t have a bloody clue.

Did not know that. No wonder molasses cookies don’t sell well in Australia.

Edit: I meant England. I was wondering what Australians call it when I wrote that.

Reply/Quote
I think it’s safe to say Ivey has taken Jones spot on the roster
Reply/Quote
Anyone been paying attention to Ivey? Gonna be hard to not give him a roster spot. He’d be gone within 20 minutes of hitting the PS
-Housh
Reply/Quote
That was some horrible defense
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote