Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Football Weekly: Bengals want Jay Gruden
(12-20-2017, 10:50 AM)Gohards Wrote: Jay Gruden is a HECK of a lot better than our other REALISTIC options of Hue, Simmons, and Pauly G.

That's how I see it.  Plus Gruden is the reason we have Dalton instead of Ryan Mallet or Colin Kaepernick.  We owe the guy!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 08:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Lefevour fever!!!!!

I'd be ok with Jay Gruden. Honestly...this would be a move to get me back on-board.  As Shake noted....not a lot of stink on him. He's somewhat of a Bungals outsider.  I'd take it.

Jay Gruden may be the best possible realistic move.

I wouldn't be excited about keeping Marvin, getting Hue, promoting Guenther, etc.

One good thing about Jay is that I think Jon would help him with scouting. So that's a built-in win!
Reply/Quote
No thanks he’s not that good but this is a typical Bengals move
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
How about Jay Gruden as HC and Hue Jackson as OC (should he get fired)?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure. I may want Hue over Gruden. Gruden has a better track record as HC, but our offense was much better with Hue. Neither is my first, second, or third choice. But the Front Office could do much worse. What's clear is MB doesn't seem to be looking for much change. The Bengals will still be Marvin "lite".

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If they got Jay, then they'd probably kind of get John, too because surely those two guys talk all the time.

With Jay Gruden as Offensive Coordinator, the Bengals used to run some daring and often successful plays. My favorite was one where they acted like they were going to do an end-around with Mohammed Sanu and then he stopped and threw one to A.J., who was all alone and could have walked in for the TD. Ironically, that one was against the Redskins.

Andy would probably love it, too.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 10:47 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Really it's going to come down to whoever agrees to keep Alexander.

Sick Ugh.....you're prolly right. Pissed 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:07 AM)Trademark Wrote: No thanks he’s not that good but this is a typical Bengals move

Who do you expect the Bengals to bring in? Cowher?

This is a middling franchise. We're not going to get some great hire.
Reply/Quote
Bring back Gruden, draft a QB for the future, keep Dalton for one season to groom the rookie.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Who do you expect the Bengals to bring in? Cowher?

This is a middling franchise. We're not going to get some great hire.

Pretty much.  Of all the potential "listed" options.....this is the best so far.  IF he were the guy, I'd hope Mikey has sense enough to let him pick his own staff.  Who am I kidding though, Mikey doesn't have the sense to take a shit when his gut hurts. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Sick Ugh.....you're prolly right. Pissed 

Well, IF we hire Gruden...then Guenther probably stays as the DC as Jay wanted him as the coordinator in DC.

Since Jay was the OC, he has a working relationship with some of the offensive coaches, so maybe he keeps some of them too.
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer Jay Gruden over Hue Jackson, although I don't see him as an obvious upgrade over Marvin.
Gruden also would very likely keep Paul Guenther as DC, which might not be what people want to see.
This all would fit the familiarity narrative that we know Mike Brown prefers.
And IMO this organization is not going to be a powerhouse with a familiar face at HC unless maybe that HC was Mike Zimmer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd prefer Jay Gruden over Hue Jackson, although I don't see him as an obvious upgrade over Marvin.
Gruden also would very likely keep Paul Guenther as DC, which might not be what people want to see.
This all would fit the familiarity narrative that we know Mike Brown prefers.
And IMO this organization is not going to be a powerhouse with a familiar face at HC unless maybe that HC was Mike Zimmer.

I agree, although I think Jay is more creative and less conservative than Merv, so that's a plus.

That being said, we're Bengals fans.  We're beat down, and realize that we likely won't get the HC that many of us are clamoring for.  I will have to stand pat on my opinion that, of the candidates mentioned thus far, Gruden may be our best option.  I mean, Simmons, Guenther, Hue......or Gruden.  Who would you pick out of that lot?

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, although I think Jay is more creative and less conservative than Merv, so that's a plus.

That being said, we're Bengals fans.  We're beat down, and realize that we likely won't get the HC that many of us are clamoring for.  I will have to stand pat on my opinion that, of the candidates mentioned thus far, Gruden may be our best option.  I mean, Simmons, Guenther, Hue......or Gruden.  Who would you pick out of that lot?

And that's assuming that Jay Gruden would even have any desire to come to Cincinnati..

I think many are thinking that anyone who's ever been associated with the franchise are just chomping at the bit to get back here.  When in reality, it's likely that some are glad to get away from such a dysfunctional system.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And that's assuming that Jay Gruden would even have any desire to come to Cincinnati..

I think many are thinking that anyone who's ever been associated with the franchise are just chomping at the bit to get back here.  When in reality, it's likely that some are glad to get away from such a dysfunctional system.

'tis very true.  We're likely doomed. LMAO

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: 'tis very true.  We're likely doomed. LMAO

Just think about it.  Jay is HC in the Nation's Capitol, a major market team in likely the most covered/watched division in the league.  Coming to Cincinnati after having one of those glamour positions would be like the Manager of Macy's quitting to go manage the Circle K..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jay as Bengals HC is sort of an enigma for me. As a HC candidate, we could do far worse. However, the things that bother me is that his would be a lazy hire by Brown. If Mike goes through with a legitimate coaching search and comes back with Jay, that would allay my fears a little bit.

Then there's also the probability that Jay as HC means some or a lot of the current Cincy coaching staff comes back and as such, we're not really moving on from Merv.

I don't know if I'd switch teams if Jay is hired, but I don't like this move if it's made.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, although I think Jay is more creative and less conservative than Merv, so that's a plus.

Yeah, although I would much rather have someone who hasn't been here before, out of those choices...definitely Jay.

I hope Mike and the crew don't have their minds set on any of those guys though, and that that they do a legit search like they did last time: Lewis, Coughlin, Mularkey from the outside, and Mark Duffner, Jim Anderson from the staff.

If they follow that same formula, then Guenther and Simmons will be the staff interviews. If Jay gets canned, I'm sure they try to bring him in for an interview. Then there are all the coordinators from the outside that could be possibilities: Haley, Reich, LeFleur, McDaniels, Patricia, Shurmur, Carmichael, Goodwin, Schwartz, Austin, etc. 

There's going to be a lot of options out there. Hopefully, they take advantage of that.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, although I would much rather have someone who hasn't been here before, out of those choices...definitely Jay.

I hope Mike and the crew don't have their minds set on any of those guys though, and that that they do a legit search like they did last time: Lewis, Coughlin, Mularkey from the outside, and Mark Duffner, Jim Anderson from the staff.

If they follow that same formula, then Guenther and Simmons will be the staff interviews. If Jay gets canned, I'm sure they try to bring him in for an interview. Then there are all the coordinators from the outside that could be possibilities: Haley, Reich, LeFleur, McDaniels, Patricia, Shurmur, Carmichael, Goodwin, Schwartz, Austin, etc. 

There's going to be a lot of options out there. Hopefully, they take advantage of that.

Absolutely agree 100%.  I guess I'm just jaded.....I've about had my fill of Mike Brown. Whatever

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely agree 100%.  I guess I'm just jaded.....I've about had my fill of Mike Brown. Whatever

I think most of us are jaded to one degree or another. Part of being a Bengals fan.  Sad
Reply/Quote