Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Football Weekly: Bengals want Jay Gruden
(12-19-2017, 08:32 PM)nkydiesel88 Wrote: Do we not remember his terrible play calling the season before he left? It was Bratkowski esque Run Run Pass Punt.

I agree.....
I wasn't impressed either...
& if we would have to give up anything to get him i'd say nothing more that 100 white castle hamburgers, 12 skyline cheese coneys & a case of hudepohl.......

I prefer Josh McDaniels....
Reply/Quote
I live by dc and get to watch a lot of the redskins and am not that impressed with gruden. In fact, he reminds me of a worse marvin... but more hands on with the offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 09:27 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I live by dc and get to watch a lot of the redskins and am not that impressed with gruden. In fact, he reminds me of a worse marvin... but more hands on with the offense.
Have the skins liked any coach since Gibbs?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 09:27 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I live by dc and get to watch a lot of the redskins and am not that impressed with gruden. In fact, he reminds me of a worse marvin... but more hands on with the offense.

How does he remind you of a worse Marvin?

Is he a Defensive coach that sticks his nose in the Offense in the 2nd half of games?

Does he giggle and just say that the players need to just play better?

Does he just stand there with his arms crossed with a blank WTF is happening look on his face when he loses the lead?

Seriously, want to know how Jay Gruden reminds you of a worse Marvin?

And Jay is not my first choice at all, would pick about a handful more above him. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 03:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: New HC and improved drafts will right the ship in 2-3 years.

exactly right on how long it will take if we hire a new dynamic head coach who can pick his own staff.

Both of our coordinators need to go, Alexander needs to go, and a strong case must be made for bringing any of the current assistants back.

Haslet- the linebackers on this team are awful.

WRs- no one can get separation except for Green. Why?

DBs- are young CBs aren't bad at all. Maybe this coach is OK.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 06:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: DBs- are young CBs aren't bad at all. Maybe this coach is OK.

I know a lot of people despise him, but if he's done playing they need to hire Pac to be a DB coach. He knows the plays before they unfold...
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 05:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Does he just stand there with his arms crossed with a blank WTF is happening look on his face when he loses the lead?

[Image: ChillyShockingGarpike-size_restricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 05:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How does he remind you of a worse Marvin?

Is he a Defensive coach that sticks his nose in the Offense in the 2nd half of games?

Does he giggle and just say that the players need to just play better?

Does he just stand there with his arms crossed with a blank WTF is happening look on his face when he loses the lead?

Seriously, want to know how Jay Gruden reminds you of a worse Marvin?

And Jay is not my first choice at all, would pick about a handful more above him. Mellow

Maybe It wasn't the best comparison. Lol

But, they both have a hard time winning the big games or the games they need to. Gruden has a worse record and came to dc during a situation similar to when Marvin took over for the bengals(imo skins had a better team in a worse division).

Plus, they started the season without a single legitimate wr. That type of move is definitely marvin style dipshitery...

I just would not get overly excited about gruden. I don't have any stats here just going off my feelz man.. lol
Reply/Quote
If Gruden doesn't come to Cincy Paul Guenther is going to DC. This will be the third time Gruden has tried to get PG to come to Washington as the DC.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 09:34 PM)Synric Wrote: If Gruden doesn't come to Cincy Paul Guenther is going to DC. This will be the third time Gruden has tried to get PG to come to Washington as the DC.

Good.  One less guy to fire.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 06:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I know a lot of people despise him, but if he's done playing they need to hire Pac to be a DB coach. He knows the plays before they unfold...

At least it would keep him out of Lock Up...

[Image: th?id=OIP.jqU1KKlHKWWL-qE6uCUyvgHaDt&pid...=327&h=164]...  maybe???
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 06:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I know a lot of people despise him, but if he's done playing they need to hire Pac to be a DB coach. He knows the plays before they unfold...

I’d be down for that. I do like his passion for the game.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 09:11 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Maybe It wasn't the best comparison. Lol

But, they both have a hard time winning the big games or the games they need to. Gruden has a worse record and came to dc during a situation similar to when Marvin took over for the bengals(imo skins had a better team in a worse division).

Plus, they started the season without a single legitimate wr. That type of move is definitely marvin style dipshitery...

I just would not get overly excited about gruden. I don't have any stats here just going off my feelz man.. lol

I respect your take, but I don't think it's fair to judge Gruden on that first year. In year  one for Marv, his QB situation was cut and dried. Kitna was to start and allow 1st overall pick Palmer to sit and learn. In contrast, Gruden inherited a messy situation where the owner and fans wanted RGIII to start, while Cousins was basically an unknown. That whole first year was just sorting the QB situation out.

After that, he went 9-7, 8-7-1 and now 6-8. That is kinda Marvin-y, but they have had a ton of injuries this year and the NFCE is just such a wacky division usually. I'd say it's better than the old AFCN Marv dealt with...In a a way. There is no Browns in that division. All 4 teams have won the division recently.

In the end I think Gruden did a lot of good there that goes beyond his overall W/L record. He got the QB situation settled in a surprisingly clean manner. He's had them playing competitive football for 3 years despite 3 different DCs (all getting terrible results). 

Another good thing I can say for Jay is that - unlike Marvin - he's getting good results on the side of the ball he specializes in. Merv's defense was crummy til Zimmer came along. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Thinking about this more, I don’t want Gruden here. We need an outsider, with experiences and coaching contacts beyond the Cincinnati family tree. Plus, Gruden hasn’t done anything in Washington, that makes him particularly desirable.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 05:18 AM)Utts Wrote: Thinking about this more, I don’t want Gruden here. We need an outsider, with experiences and coaching contacts beyond the Cincinnati family tree. Plus, Gruden hasn’t done anything in Washington, that makes him particularly desirable.

The Bengals have had 9 HCs in their history, and 5 of them have been promoted from within or had ties with us before. So the chances of an outside candidate coming in without ties to Cincy doesn't look very good. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 09:11 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Maybe It wasn't the best comparison. Lol

Ah cool, i can respect that. I just feel Jay would be an upgrade over Marv even if he is not my first choice.

As Shake says, he atleast is good with his side of the ball and doesn't interfere with the Defense.

With all the injuries the Skins had this year i have to give Jay a pass, he has done some good things considering.

Still would like O'Brien, Grimm, Nagy, Lafleur, McDaniels, Patricia or someone completely with no ties to the org over him though.

I don't want any of these coaches back honestly and especially Guenther who Jay likes.

Need to start fresh and Guenther had way more talented players on his side of the ball than Lazor did and to look like we are
finishing dead last in stopping the run and in stopping teams on 3rd downs is completely unacceptable. This Defense has very
good run stoppers, atleast the DT's were in college. Billings, Glasgow and Tapou were all great run stoppers. Geno, Dunlap and
even MJ have been very good run stoppers in the past. Willis was a good run stopper at Kansas State etc.

And don't get me started with Haslett and these Linebackers and Coyle and this Secondary missing tackles.

Clean house.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ah cool, i can respect that. I just feel Jay would be an upgrade over Marv even if he is not my first choice.

As Shake says, he atleast is good with his side of the ball and doesn't interfere with the Defense.

With all the injuries the Skins had this year i have to give Jay a pass, he has done some good things considering.

Still would like O'Brien, Grimm, Nagy, Lafleur, McDaniels, Patricia or someone completely with no ties to the org over him though.

I don't want any of these coaches back honestly and especially Guenther who Jay likes.

Need to start fresh and Guenther had way more talented players on his side of the ball than Lazor did and to look like we are
finishing dead last in stopping the run and in stopping teams on 3rd downs is completely unacceptable. This Defense has very
good run stoppers, atleast the DT's were in college. Billings, Glasgow and Tapou were all great run stoppers. Geno, Dunlap and
even MJ have been very good run stoppers in the past. Willis was a good run stopper at Kansas State etc.

And don't get me started with Haslett and these Linebackers and Coyle and this Secondary missing tackles.

Clean house.

IF we had the same roster we did 3 years ago...replacing Lewis with Jay would have been a no brainer.

But, I'm with you on cleaning house.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 11:07 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The Bengals have had 9 HCs in their history, and 5 of them have been promoted from within or had ties with us before. So the chances of an outside candidate coming in without ties to Cincy doesn't look very good. 

And before Lewis, that ratio was 5 of 8.  Perhaps the management learned something?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And before Lewis, that ratio was 5 of 8.  Perhaps the management learned something?

Judging how they handled ML, I’m not convinced
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
We can scratch a Gruden return off the list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/29/report-jay-gruden-will-stay-put/
Reply/Quote