Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public School Takes Down Painting of Jesus
In Kansas, a painting of Jesus Christ has been removed after complaints and threats of legal action. The school district's lawyer advised them that taking it down was the right thing to do.

So do you agree? Should a public institution be allowed to flex their religious beliefs considering that it's a huge majority, or should the rights of all people prevail?

http://www.kansas.com/news/state/article31921707.html

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8035488?cps=gravity_5540_-1901396558064541388
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-27-2015, 09:45 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: In Kansas, a painting of Jesus Christ has been removed after complaints and threats of legal action.  The school district's lawyer advised them that taking it down was the right thing to do.

So do you agree? Should a public institution be allowed to flex their religious beliefs considering that it's a huge majority, or should the rights of all people prevail?

No such things a a painting of Jesus Christ.  Maybe a representation of him.  But no one knows what he looked like.

But I don't see the need for it to be hanging in a public school.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
No place for this in a public school
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-27-2015, 09:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: No such things a a painting of Jesus Christ.  Maybe a representation of him.  But no one knows what he looked like.

But I don't see the need for it to be hanging in a public school.

I could throw a few colors on a page, call it a painting of GMDino, and that's exactly what it would be. A painting is all about an artists depiction of something, not whether it's very accurate. Now, if you said that there is no such thing as a portrait of him, I might agree.
LFG  

(08-27-2015, 09:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I could throw a few colors on a page, call it a painting of GMDino, and that's exactly what it would be. A painting is all about an artists depiction of something, not whether it's very accurate. Now, if you said that there is no such thing as a portrait of him, I might agree.

Sorry.  Wrong choice of words there.  You are correct.

Still not really a need for it in a public school.
I hate that everything that kind of upsets people a little devolves into threats of lawsuits.
Can't we just...idk...be reasonable about shit anymore?
(08-27-2015, 10:02 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I hate that everything that kind of upsets people a little devolves into threats of lawsuits.

I'll agree with you.  Things like this should never get to threats of lawsuits.  If laws are being broken though, and an entity refuses to take action (not sure if the school did this), then the next step should be taken to fix the problem.
LFG  

(08-27-2015, 10:06 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'll agree with you.  Things like this should never get to threats of lawsuits.  If laws are being broken though, and an entity refuses to take action (not sure if the school did this), then the next step should be taken to fix the problem.

Sure but it should be the last step. 
Any more it seems like "OMG, that offends my frail sense of self they told me in 1st grade about. I'm a special snowflake! I'm so gonna sue you!"

Basically most people sound like John Edwards on South Park
(08-27-2015, 10:02 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I hate that everything that kind of upsets people a little devolves into threats of lawsuits.

[Image: f52741b04b7ca8cf12d8e397b06c81f5.jpg]
(08-27-2015, 09:45 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: In Kansas, a painting of Jesus Christ has been removed after complaints and threats of legal action.  The school district's lawyer advised them that taking it down was the right thing to do.

They should have hung it in the Principal's office.
If you don't want to see it, keep your nose clean.
Screw up and you have to see the Principal..........and Jesus.
Tongue
(08-27-2015, 10:07 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Sure but it should be the last step. 
Any more it seems like "OMG, that offends my frail sense of self they told me in 1st grade about. I'm a special snowflake! I'm so gonna sue you!"

Basically most people sound like John Edwards on South Park

One might argue that the person who put a painting of a specific religious figure on display in a public school was the one deciding his/her personal traits/beliefs were special enough to circumnavigate common law.

"Well, this is a public school so we aren't supposed to present or support a specific religion, but I love Jesus and I'm putting this painting up because I'm a special snowflake!  Also, I'm offended the godless heathens want me to follow the law and take it down!"

Woah, wait...Christians and conservatives get offended and are deluded into thinking they are "special"?  No way, that's totally a liberal thing!
(08-27-2015, 10:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: One might argue that the person who put a painting of a specific religious figure on display in a public school was the one deciding his/her personal traits/beliefs were special enough to circumnavigate common law.

"Well, this is a public school so we aren't supposed to present or support a specific religion, but I love Jesus and I'm putting this painting up because I'm a special snowflake!  Also, I'm offended the godless heathens want me to follow the law and take it down!"

Woah, wait...Christians and conservatives get offended and are deluded into thinking they are "special"?  No way, that's totally a liberal thing!

Is there a point to this? 
Or are you just rambling to be contrary? 
This isn't for a public school.

However ....  To be fair this should be a local community decision of what's permitted in their local schools.    

I do think locals should decide.

The threat of a lawsuit is ridiculous. Just elect new school board members if your unhappy.
(08-28-2015, 01:20 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This isn't for a public school.

However ....  To be fair this should be a local community decision of what's permitted in their local schools.    

I do think locals should decide.

The threat of a lawsuit is ridiculous.   Just elect new school board members if your unhappy.

Royster Middle School, part of Chanute PUBLIC schools.
http://www.usd413.org

And no, every human in the country has the freedom of and from religion, which is exactly the way that it should be.  If some parents want their kids to go learn about Jesus in schools, they can send them to a private establishment.
LFG  

(08-28-2015, 01:37 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Royster Middle School, part of Chanute PUBLIC schools.
http://www.usd413.org

And no, every human in the country has the freedom of and from religion, which is exactly the way that it should be.  If some parents want their kids to go learn about Jesus in schools, they can send them to a private establishment.

I agree they do. But meddling with a lawsuit instead of just electing new school board members is absurd. Obviously this has been in place for quite some time.

Unless the school was making them kneel before the painting every day. This really shouldn't be a legal issue at all.

As you know I have never advocated forcing religion on anyone. But I also am not sure why this is all of a sudden an issue.
One more thing....

Town of 9,200 with 30 local churches.

Why is this even a thing?

Let locals decide what's best for them. They aren't preaching in school. That should be fine.
(08-28-2015, 01:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: One more thing....  

Let locals decide what's best for them.   They aren't preaching in school.  That should be fine.

Hanging a picture of hey-soos is preaching.  If you disagree then please advocate for a picture of Muhammad (uh oh), Vishnu, Buddha, Zeus, Odin, Satan, Cthulhu, Moses and every other inane "god" that mankind has dreamed up to explain the previously explainable be hung right next to it.  
(08-28-2015, 02:16 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Hanging a picture of hey-soos is preaching.  If you disagree then please advocate for a picture of Muhammad (uh oh), Vishnu, Buddha, Zeus, Odin, Satan, Cthulhu, Moses and every other inane "god" that mankind has dreamed up to explain the previously explainable be hung right next to it.  

If the local school board decides then that's their business.   They are elected by the locals.   They answer only to them.  

This lawsuit is a joke.

Every parent has the option of where to send their kid or to home school them. no one is forced.
(08-28-2015, 12:40 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Is there a point to this? 
Or are you just rambling to be contrary? 

Others will get my point.  Just because I quoted your post doesn't really mean I'm entering into a specific dialog with you.
(08-28-2015, 01:49 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I agree they do.   But meddling with a lawsuit instead of just electing new school board members is absurd.     Obviously this has been in place for quite some time.    

Unless the school was making them kneel before the painting every day.   This really shouldn't be a legal issue at all.    

As you know I have never advocated forcing religion on anyone.   But I also am not sure why this is all of a sudden an issue.

Its not "all of a sudden an issue".  And as you say its no legal issue at all.  No need for religious images in a public school.

(08-28-2015, 01:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: One more thing....  

Let locals decide what's best for them.   They aren't preaching in school.  That should be fine.

And yet that's not how it works at all.  That's why minorities have rights too.

(08-28-2015, 02:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If the local school board decides then that's their business.   They are elected by the locals.   They answer only to them.  

This lawsuit is a joke.

Every parent has the option of where to send their kid or to home school them.   no one is forced.

Hmmm....why can't the ones who want Jesus staring at them all day go to a religious school?  Isn't that their right?  No one is forcing them to go to public school.  Just pny up the bucks for a private one or home school.

Worked for the Duggars.

Smirk