Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pump The Brakes
Nice article that pretty much alludes to that...

We should all probably relax and take a deep breath.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/12/the-cincinnati-bengals-are-having-a-nice-season-but-dont-put-them-in-the-playoffs-just-yet
Reply/Quote
Agree

They have to learn how to be winners.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This pretty much sums up my opinion if the entire team and staff. They've pleasantly surprised me, and made me not want to can the staff and start over....so far.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The claim that the rebuild did not start until last year is BS. In 2018 our defense was DEAD LAST in yards allowed and we fired our head coach. Why the hell would they not start rebuilding in 2019?

I now Taylor had to rebuild the roster. But three years is plenty. That is pretty much what any other NFL team would say.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The claim that the rebuild did not start until last year is BS.  In 2018 our defense was DEAD LAST in yards allowed and we fired our head coach.  Why the hell would they not start rebuilding in 2019?

I now Taylor had to rebuild the roster.  But three years is plenty.  That is pretty much what any other NFL team would say.

I dunno, it seemed like year one was a roster evaluation. Maybe it was the staff's decision, maybe it was the FO, but the roster turnover didn't start in earnest until year 2, with some splashier moves in the 2020 off-season going into this year. We signed Reader, Waynes, Bell going into 20, then of course Hendrickson, Awuzie, Reiff, (re-signed) Spain going into 21.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know Taylor had to rebuild the roster. But three years is plenty. That is pretty much what any other NFL team would say.

I’m with Fred on this. Marvin Lewis went 11-5 in his third season while Carson Palmer was in his second season. Don’t forget the Bengals drafted Carson in 2003 but he sat behind Jon Kitna his entire rookie year. Did that make Carson more successful in 2004 and 2005? Oh yes it did!
Reply/Quote
NFL rebuilds last like a year these days, especially if you draft a good QB. Stop making excuses for this team. They have enough talent to get the job done.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
But wasn't 2020 pretty much a "throw-away" year with Covid and then Burrow's knee injury?
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:54 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m with Fred on this. Marvin Lewis went 11-5 in his third season while Carson Palmer was in his second season. Don’t forget the Bengals drafted Carson in 2003 but he sat behind Jon Kitna his entire rookie year. Did that make Carson more successful in 2004 and 2005? Oh yes it did!

Carson was technically in his 3rd season.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:00 PM)Tomkat Wrote: But wasn't 2020 pretty much a "throw-away" year with Covid and then Burrow's injury?

I think they would've won around 6 or 7 games if Burrow doesn't get injured. The defense was still very suspect, Green played like shit, Mixon got hurt, but I believe it would've been a little bit better if Joe plays all 16.

Reply/Quote
Every game is a lesson for this team moving forward
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think they would've won around 6 or 7 games if Burrow doesn't get injured. The defense was still very suspect, Green played like shit, Mixon got hurt, but I believe it would've been a little bit better if Joe plays all 16.

I know every team has injuries, but we got killed by multiple injuries in three crucial areas, DT, DB, O-line.  We lost our top 3 DTs.  Every single one of our top three CBs missed multiple game.  We started 11 different guys on our O-line in something like ten different combinations.  

As much as I rip on Taylor I realize no coach would have had much success with these problems.  Good teams have better guys at #2, but we were playing third string guys and no one in the league has good players that deep on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know every team has injuries, but we got killed by multiple injuries in three crucial areas, DT, DB, O-line.  We lost our top 3 DTs.  Every single one of our top three CBs missed multiple game.  We started 11 different guys on our O-line in something like ten different combinations.  

As much as I rip on Taylor I realize no coach would have had much success with these problems.  Good teams have better guys at #2, but we were playing third string guys and no one in the league has good players that deep on the roster.

And we still beat the Steelers. 

FTS. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The claim that the rebuild did not start until last year is BS.  In 2018 our defense was DEAD LAST in yards allowed and we fired our head coach.  Why the hell would they not start rebuilding in 2019?

I now Taylor had to rebuild the roster.  But three years is plenty.  That is pretty much what any other NFL team would say.

But did the Bengals rebuild the defensive roster from 2018 to 2019 or was it basically the exact same starters? 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:00 PM)Tomkat Wrote: But wasn't 2020 pretty much a "throw-away" year with Covid and then Burrow's knee injury?

still wanted to see good coaching outside of 1 game
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know every team has injuries, but we got killed by multiple injuries in three crucial areas, DT, DB, O-line.  We lost our top 3 DTs.  Every single one of our top three CBs missed multiple game.  We started 11 different guys on our O-line in something like ten different combinations.  

Truth....and bringing guys in off the street to play different positions across that oline. It was crazy. 

We lost DTs to injury, Geno played hurt, Tupou opted out, it was a shit storm.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

They have to learn how to be winners.

30 years should be long enough.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:44 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Every game is a lesson for this team moving forward

And us as well, it would seem.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:26 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 30 years should long enough.

Lazy take
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Lazy take

My bad. 30.5.  
Reply/Quote