Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Index by Gregg Rosenthal
(10-16-2015, 03:31 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Uh-oh.

Minimum 1000 attempts over a 4 year span isn't even close to what a typical QB attempts in a 4 year stretch.  Andy had over 1000 attempts in 2 years.  
Reply/Quote
Dalton ranks 11th in tds thrown since 2011. If you look at tds per game Luck would move ahead of Dalton making him 12th.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:35 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Minimum 1000 attempts over a 4 year span isn't even close to what a typical QB attempts in a 4 year stretch.  Andy had over 1000 attempts in 2 years.  

That's not the only thing changing his ranking.

Fred's isn't for their careers as you posted earlier. His stats are for each QBs numbers from 2011 - 2014. Ya know, fair comparisons to his peers in the time he's been playing.

I couldn't care less what Peyton Manning's numbers were in 2005 compared to Andy in 2012. You compare the guys to their peers, so this is a much better way of doing it. 1,000 attempts is completely fair but it's also fair to take guys off like Griffin and Kaepernick for just not being very good, I'd say.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton ranks 11th in tds thrown since 2011.  If you look at tds per game Luck would move ahead of Dalton making him 12th.

Dalton is tied with Roethlisberger for 110 for 10th. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:38 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Dalton is tied with Roethlisberger for 110 for 10th. 

My numbers were wrong.  Roethlisberger has 111.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 01:42 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Otherwise, why not just do away with his ratings and just sort the stats from top to bottom.

Opinions are fine and they can be fun to read and discuss. It's not even just Dalton. GRs "list" has been a head-scratcher for some time now with several quarterbacks that he's over-inflated or deflated.

In regards to Dalton, he just took another guys "meter" and ran with it. 

If you're going to take the time to list and judge a whole league of QBs, it might be a good idea to watch them some and try to determine their strengths and weaknesses and what could be causing their good or bad play, not just parrot what the majority is saying. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 05:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Opinions are fine and they can be fun to read and discuss. It's not even just Dalton. GRs "list" has been a head-scratcher for some time now with several quarterbacks that he's over-inflated or deflated.

In regards to Dalton, he just took another guys "meter" and ran with it. 

If you're going to take the time to list and judge a whole league of QBs, it might be a good idea to watch them some and try to determine their strengths and weaknesses and what could be causing their good or bad play, not just parrot what the majority is saying. 

I agree.  I assume that takes too much work however.
Reply/Quote
I like Andy Dalton but I'll be the first to admit that I've long held the opinion that Andy is a mediocre or average QB. I've thought that he's good enough to not lose a game and could maybe have 2 or 3 plays that really contribute to a win. Everyone talks about his record breaking 2013 where he had 33 TD passes, but ignores his 20 picks. Thus far in 2015 he's playing elite, and it wouldn't be crazy to say he's putting up league MVP numbers. As far as the rankings go, Rosenthal has seemingly always taken shots at Andy when he would make his lists. I hope Andy keeps playing the way he does, I want nothing but the best for the guy, but I'm not going to pretend he's been great his whole career, he's been average-good, and this year he's playing great.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:06 PM)Bryan Wrote: I like Andy Dalton but I'll be the first to admit that I've long held the opinion that Andy is a mediocre or average QB. I've thought that he's good enough to not lose a game and could maybe have 2 or 3 plays that really contribute to a win. Everyone talks about his record breaking 2013 where he had 33 TD passes, but ignores his 20 picks. Thus far in 2015 he's playing elite, and it wouldn't be crazy to say he's putting up league MVP numbers. As far as the rankings go, Rosenthal has seemingly always taken shots at Andy when he would make his lists. I hope Andy keeps playing the way he does, I want nothing but the best for the guy, but I'm not going to pretend he's been great his whole career, he's been average-good, and this year he's playing great.

Why is having 20 picks in a season the sign of being a bad QB?  Eli Manning had 28 in a season.  Flacco had 22 picks to go along with 19 TDs in 2013.  Palmer also had 22 picks in 2013 to go along with 24 TDs.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:19 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Why is having 20 picks in a season the sign of being a bad QB?  Eli Manning had 28 in a season.  Flacco had 22 picks to go along with 19 TDs in 2013.  Palmer also had 22 picks in 2013 to go along with 24 TDs.  

Do you really think throwing 20 or more picks is good? 

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:19 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Why is having 20 picks in a season the sign of being a bad QB?  Eli Manning had 28 in a season.  Flacco had 22 picks to go along with 19 TDs in 2013.  Palmer also had 22 picks in 2013 to go along with 24 TDs.  

Eli Manning and Joe Flacco are two of the most overrated QBs that I can remember....and between 2008 and 2015, would you really call Carson Palmer "good"?

We have to hold our QB to a higher standard than these 3 dorks.

...and 20 INTs in a season is downright horrible, no question about it.  Chances are, if you're throwing that many INTs, you have some major improvements to make.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:34 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Eli Manning and Joe Flacco are two of the most overrated QBs that I can remember....and between 2008 and 2015, would you really call Carson Palmer "good"?

We have to hold our QB to a higher standard than these 3 dorks.

...and 20 INTs in a season is downright horrible, no question about it.  Chances are, if you're throwing that many INTs, you have some major improvements to make.

Dalton's career TD to interception ratio is higher than Carson Palmer.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:57 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Dalton's career TD to interception ratio is higher than Carson Palmer.  

I would have put money on this.  Carson Palmer is an interception machine. Hopefully Andy gets past the point where he's being compared to him.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Andy must have called this guy up and apologized for kicking him in the shin, kicking his dog and calling him "Rosie".

Seriously, he has Dalton above Cam Newton!

CAM NEWTON!!!

By the way, no one is going to catch Rodgers for a loooooong time. That guy is just too good.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 07:23 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I would have put money on this.  Carson Palmer is an interception machine. Hopefully Andy gets past the point where he's being compared to him.

It's higher than all but 10 other active QBs in the league.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:27 PM)Bryan Wrote: Do you really think throwing 20 or more picks is good? 

No but given the fact he was a third year player and also threw 33 TDs it doesn't look all that bad in my opinion. 
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is 10th in career passer rating amongst active QBs (minimum 1500 pass attempts)
Andy Dalton is 16th in career passer rating amongst ALL NFL QBs in the history of the NFL (minimum 1500 pass attempts)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 08:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Andy Dalton is 10th in career passer rating amongst active QBs (minimum 1500 pass attempts)
Andy Dalton is 16th in career passer rating amongst ALL NFL QBs in the history of the NFL (minimum 1500 pass attempts)

Matt Schaub is 9th in career passer rating amongst active QBs.

Unless we're about to circle jerk over Schaub, me thinks people need to cherry pick a new stat.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So **** him when he says Dalton isn't great and **** him when he says he's one of the best in the league?  

He could have him and the Bengals at #1 and I'd still say **** that guy.

Dude is such a Bengal hater and they're supposed to be unbiased. Rosenthal doesn't even try so yeah, **** that guy.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 08:34 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Matt Schaub is 9th in career passer rating amongst active QBs.

Unless we're about to circle jerk over Schaub, me thinks people need to cherry pick a new stat.

From 2008 to 2012, Schaub had 5 consecutive years with a 90+ rating. Finishing 7th, 7th, 9th, 6th and 9th. Throwing for an average of 3,734 yards a year (twice over 4,000) and averaging 21/11 td/int per year.

Why wouldn't he deserve to be where he is? 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote