Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qb situation, sorry dalton die hards
(11-27-2018, 03:26 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I know it's off subject, but I was recently watching film on a couple of smaller named quarterbacks.

I got to the film on a guy from Princeton University named John Lovett. 6-2 230, looks like he runs about in the 4.6-4.7 range and built like a rock.

He definitely looked like a guy you draft in the 7th round and take a chance to see how he develops over an NFL training camp and preseason.

However, I kept seeing this guy, number 4, in all this film that was catching everything.

Jasper Horsted, is his name. 6'3 to 6'4 range in height, looked to me to run in the 4.4 to 4.5 range. Looked like he weighed about 230.

He literally caught everything thrown in a 5 foot radius of him, he showed great strength when running and breaking tackles.

This guy looked like he should of been playing at Alabama.

I had to look him up. He's never even trained for a full training camp. That's because he's a two star athlete and will probably get drafted into the MLB. I even watched tape of him playing basketball and dominating.

He didn't want to go somewhere that education wasn't a priority and went because to Princeton because they offered to let him play as many different sports as he could as long as he was good at them.

If this kid was to devote himself to football he could be a star. I'd love to see us draft him. He's the All-American kid.

I fully expect teams to get ahold of his tape and someone will take a chance on him.

The last time I was this blown away by a smaller school player was Jimmy Garoppolo, when I said on the old Bengals forum, that we should trade Dalton and draft him.

Sorry, for going off into left field. Lol

Heck, don't be sorry.....it's not very often you get looks on guys like this.  Thanks for the info!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Absolutely no one here has claimed Dalton is this team’s only problem. The OP even mentioned ownership and coaching but is being realistic about those two things not changing for the better anytime soon.

Someone with sense ,ty
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:16 PM)Synric Wrote: A little off topic but If they target an offensive player in round one I'm leaning toward a Tight End.

Albert Okwuegbunam, Misery erm I mean Missouri.

Actually yeah dalton needs a stud tight end definitely , dont even settle there, resign eifert and kroft male sure blandy has a slew of good tight ends. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Palmer wasn't just a QB we grabbed for the hell of it, we had the #1 overall pick and used it.  We could have traded down and taken Leftwich, Boller, or Grossman if we just wanted a QB for the sake of changing things up.  Teams like the Giants who desperately need to take a QB and who are quite bad this year don't even know who will be at the top of the draft next season.

The odds of us finding an instant starter of a QB any time soon are slim.
If you dont have a stud qb ,you always got to keep your eyes out for one. In the nfl you need one, there is nomore elite defenses in this new era. Its about high octane offenses,and fantasy football and making the game more fun to watch for casual fans. Qbs arent that damn hard to find either. You really think dalton is irreplaceable lol. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:42 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: how are you right about dalton when we havnt won shit. 

Because it is a team game where the best QB does not always win.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:52 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote:  You really think dalton is irreplaceable lol. 

No, but we would be better off using the resources on other positions that are in worse shape.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:25 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Our defense has given up 19 more 3rd conversion then the 2nd worst team in the NFL against third downs. How does the QB position effect that?

There’s more than one problem with the team...
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 02:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Anyone who thinks a QB change is all we need is being dense. Point blank.

I understand wanting a new guy under center. I'm ready myself. What I don't understand:

1. Blaming prime time on Andy, when Marv has sucked in this category for 16 years.
2. Blaming Steelers losses on Andy, when Carson was 4-8 against them. It's. A. Marv. Problem.
3. Blaming playoff losses on Marv, when Marv is 0-3 without Andy, and we have a 28 year playoff drought that started when Andy was a toddler.
4. Thinking a new QB will overcome the Mike/Marv circus when no other QB has in 30 years.

People who focus only on QB make me question either (a) whether or not they've paid attention to this team or (b) their intelligence level. Sorry, it's just all pretty obvious. 

Carson was going to overcome bob bratkowski and marvin,till he got hurt and management was horrible. My point of the post is,what dalton needs to succerd here is not going to be sustainable. Keep waiting year after year im sure youre just fine with that. Everytime people bring up the qb position people cry and go off the handle because they are in love with the dalton boy. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No, but we would be better off using the resources on other positions that are in worse shape.

Like every year right? 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:54 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: There’s more than one problem with the team...

It's like our Seminoles.....sure the oline is a dumpster fire, but the defense lacks discipline at times, WRs drop too many balls, etc....

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:13 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: For those who don't think having a great qb matters put Mahomes on any team in the NFL.

Alex Smith was the #1 ranked QB in the league on that team.

I am not bashing Mahomes.  He is a good QB.  But no way in hell he puts up those type of numbers on any other team in the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:57 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Like every year right? 

Of course.

I have no problem taking a QB every year in the 5th round or later, but we have WAY to many other problems to be spending high draft picks on a QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:47 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Actually yeah dalton needs a stud tight end definitely , dont even settle there, resign eifert and kroft male sure blandy has a slew of good tight ends. 

It's not that "blandy" needs them, it's that multiple TE sets were what Bill Lazor based his offense on.  That kinda blew up in his face.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:56 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Carson was going to overcome bob bratkowski and marvin,till he got hurt and management was horrible. My point of the post is,what dalton needs to succerd here is not going to be sustainable. Keep waiting year after year im sure youre just fine with that. Everytime people bring up the qb position people cry and go off the handle because they are in love with the dalton boy. 

It has nothing to do with being in love.  It has to do with looking at the talent at every position and deciding what we need to fix the most.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: The problem is.....you can watch tape and surmise what went wrong, knowing what the reads are, or who's responsibility is who's, but without watching the film with the team, and being in the huddle and knowing the plays inside and out, you can really only speculate on a lot of things.  Don't get me wrong, it's a good tool to get an idea, but it's not exactly infallible is what some people are saying.

Smh , its right there being explained to you on twitter by people who are being paid for it,thats even on tv talking about it and radio. That actually watches game film and even talks with the team. And your guys claims dont hold water because we dont win big games!! Yall are happy with status quo, im done here,no use in argueing with people who like what we are getting and dont even say you dont,you accept it and you are happy with it.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Alex Smith was the #1 ranked QB in the league on that team.

I am not bashing Mahomes.  He is a good QB.  But no way in hell he puts up those type of numbers on any other team in the league.

Yep, that team is stacked.  I think Mahommes helps them in the vertical game, for sure, but Alex Smith was no slouch there either.  

(11-27-2018, 04:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course.

I have no problem taking a QB every year in the 5th round or later, but we have WAY to many other problems to be spending high draft picks on a QB.

I'm for moving on.....but we need a worse record or trade up in the draft to get one, and this year doesn't seem like the year to do it.  When a new guy is brought in, he'll need an offensive line too.  

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's not that "blandy" needs them, it's that multiple TE sets were what Bill Lazor based his offense on.  That kinda blew up in his face.

Nope dalton needs them,because hes best in the middle of the field and thats where big mismatches are. Otherwise hes not good as a qb. Look at our stagnant ass offense. Dalton plays a part of it hes the qb!!
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 04:52 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: If you dont have a stud qb ,you always got to keep your eyes out for one. In the nfl you need one, there is nomore elite defenses in this new era. Its about high octane offenses,and fantasy football and making the game more fun to watch for casual fans. Qbs arent that damn hard to find either. You really think dalton is irreplaceable lol. 

We've had 2 above average QBs for the past 16 years and we've gotten zip out of them.  Maybe the answer is a 6th round pick.  Maybe.

The thing the Bengals have managed to NOT do wrong during the Marvin era is hop on the QB carousel.  It only took the Browns 20+ years to magically find a good QB with the 1st overall pick.  Maybe we can do the same?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:01 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Smh , its right there being explained to you on twitter by people who are being paid for it,thats even on tv talking about it and radio. That actually watches game film and even talks with the team. And your guys claims dont hold water because we dont win big games!! Yall are happy with status quo, im done here,no use in argueing with people who like what we are getting and dont even say you dont,you accept it and you are happy with it.

They talk with the team....or at least Rapien does, but he kinda does do what AU165 said he does.  Goodberry is an interesting guy....he's a blogger, and has some interesting takes, and now he's a writer.  Does this mean the team breaks down their playbook with them?  If they do, they're dumber than I thought. Also, are these guys breaking down other teams, or just this one? I'm not just talking about the QB here, the entire team, you can be done if you want.....I've never seen someone on a message board who can't handle differing opinions or debate.  Those guys give opinions.....same as people here. Hell on Locked on Bengals, on Rapien's page it even says his "hot TAKES". Takes is synonymous with opinions.   Geoff Hobson gets paid to write about the Bengals and talks with the team too, is he an infallible expert to you as well? You don't know a lot of the backgrounds of the people you're talking to.  Maybe some are couch coaches, some have played and/or coached, and there are some that have played D-1 football on here.  

Some people blame players, some people blame coaching, some the owner.....some all of the above....it's opinion.  
Look, even the "experts" get it wrong sometimes.  How many times is Mel Kyper wrong?

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:03 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Nope dalton needs them,because hes best in the middle of the field and thats where big mismatches are. Otherwise hes not good as a qb. Look at our stagnant ass offense. Dalton plays a part of it hes the qb!!

That is true.....he definitely shoulders some of the blame, just not all of it.

As for the TEs, yeah, that's his strength, and good coaches coach to players' strengths.  It seems Lazor understood this.  It's also worth noting that having 3TEs on the field helps a bad oline block as well.  I think it was a combination of both.....playing to the QBs strength (which they should be sending Ross on post routes and such too, IMO), and helping the oline.  There's lots you can do with multiple TEs in both protection and route running.

Reply/Quote