Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Quentin Spain wants to come back to Cincinnati
(01-25-2022, 09:49 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Yes, cutting Trae Waynes does get our Cap to about 70 mil. The problem is there are a lot of players we will need to sign as well that will be costly when added up. 
Off Line - Riley Reiff, Quinton Spain & Fred Johnson
Def Line - Larry Ogunjobi, BJ Hill & Josh Tupou
Special Teams - Kevin Huber & Clark Harris
QB - Brandon Harris
Def Backs - Eli Apple, Vernon Hargreaves, Ricardo Allen, Tre Flowers & Jessie Bates
LB - Jordan Evans
TE - CJ Uzomah
WR - Stanley Morgan & Auden Tate

When I project the cost to sign a lot of these guys including a few salary bumps there really is not a lot left to sign a lot of free agents. Even if you get rid of a few of these guys you still need to sign replacements at those positions. Tough decision on how much you pay for OgunJobi and Jessie Bates and a CJ Uzomah. I love to keep everybody but we need to improve the line play with 1-2 Free agent lineman.

I do think we may be able to entice a guy like Andrew Norwell (LG) to come back and play for his hometown team. He is 30 but would get 6-10 mil.  Would also be great to get RG - Brandon Scherff (30) to sign a 5 year 63 mil deal that Spotrac has his market value at. That is about 12.7 million a year. I don't think we will do either of these options. We will sign Bates, Uzomah & Spain and stay the plan with the rookie lineman.

I don't think Tupou, Huber, Harris, Allen, Hargreaves, Allen, Flowers, Evans, Morgan and Tate will cost very much to re-sign. But you're right that we likely will not sign multiple big outside free agents. If we can nab 1 or 2, that'd be a huge win, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:03 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't think Tupou, Huber, Harris, Allen, Hargreaves, Allen, Flowers, Evans, Morgan and Tate will cost very much to re-sign. But you're right that we likely will not sign multiple big outside free agents. If we can nab 1 or 2, that'd be a huge win, in my opinion.

In the new age of Offenses and Tight End play Flowers 6'3" may be a little more than you think. Everyone you may be right about. Even at an average of 1 mil each that would be 10 mil.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:03 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't think Tupou, Huber, Harris, Allen, Hargreaves, Allen, Flowers, Evans, Morgan and Tate will cost very much to re-sign. But you're right that we likely will not sign multiple big outside free agents. If we can nab 1 or 2, that'd be a huge win, in my opinion.

I don't know why we would bring back Huber. He's awful. You can upgrade. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

A lot of those guys are in depth/role player spots anyway.  Some of them are exactly the kind of guy that gets replaced in the draft when the roster churns due to normal attrition.  Even if they aren't, you replace them with equally inexpensive veterans if you really have to.  I doubt any of those names are sparking bidding wars from outside teams.

I think if they directed a nice chunk toward a right tackle, it would go a long way.  Going for quantity or replacing 2 or 3 guys on the line at once might diminish the quality of player they can get to a point where they just end up right back where they started.  Get a guy like Moses or Brown for 10 or 12 million and be done with it.  Hope that the RT upgrade can help whoever ends up at RG enough to cover up warts or growing pains for a young player like Carman.  Draft a developmental tackle in the mean time.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't know why we would bring back Huber. He's awful. You can upgrade. 

I suppose out of respect they might give Huber another season? Maybe there are intangibles such as they like how he mentors McPherson. I know we're not overpaying Huber, but I assume they'd save some money by going a different direction at Punter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You guys are forgetting that we have draft capital as well...as in good place to trade picks if we really wanted to.

I'm done drafting OL. Fix it through free agency or trade. We can't keep rolling out unproven rookies every year. I'm over it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

If we don't bring back Spain or Reiff or Ogunjobi we may have enough money to sign Bates and pick up 2-3 highly rated lineman. To get Terron Armstead (LT), Andrew Norwell (LG) and Brandon Scherff (RG) would be a good start to fixing this line. We could move Jonah to (RT) and then draft a center like Tyler Linderbaum.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:23 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: If we don't bring back Spain or Reiff or Ogunjobi we may have enough money to sign Bates and pick up 2-3 highly rated lineman. To get Terron Armstead (LT), Andrew Norwell (LG) and Brandon Scherff (RG) would be a good start to fixing this line. We could move Jonah to (RT) and then draft a center like Tyler Linderbaum.

So get rid of 2 of our 3 best offensive linemen intsead of just moving on from our worst? How about we keep Jonah, Spain and Rieff and add from there? And I'm not sure Linderbaum is the answer even if he was still there. His size opens him up to the bull rush. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't know why we would bring back Huber. He's awful. You can upgrade. 

I would use a mid round draft pick for the San Diego State Punter.

Nothing better than having elite Special team players.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So get rid of 2 of our 3 best offensive linemen intsead of just moving on from our worst? How about we keep Jonah, Spain and Rieff and add from there? And I'm not sure Linderbaum is the answer even if he was still there. His size opens him up to the bull rush. 

Just because they are our best lineman do not make them good lineman. I was not getting rid of Jonah just moving him to RT.  Signing 2-3 lguys who are or have been All Pro's is my idea of fixing the line. Keep grooming the guys we already drafted "they will make you proud day. I promise".
As for Linderbaum. I will take his wrestling background since he understands leverage as is very quick on his feet. He would not be ranked as high as he is if he could be bull rushed. He is very strong. He is also  for the school that is known for producing great Offensive Lineman.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:07 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I would use a mid round draft pick for the San Diego State Punter.

Nothing better than having elite Special team players.

If we move on from Huber - Drew Chrisman will likely be our new punter.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If we move on from Huber - Drew Chrisman will likely be our new punter.

& good for Drew. He's been off and on the practice squad all year. Coaches must like what they see, but obviously when making roster maneuvers he's the easy choice to cut since he's a punter.

Also, today is your today. You say good bye to Club Esiason.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If we move on from Huber - Drew Chrisman will likely be our new punter.

It is likely but I still would rather have the San Diego State punter. He can really effect field position.
Reply/Quote

False, but whatever.

I'm all for moving on after this year, but it's a blatant lie that he's awful:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/kicking.htm#kicking::punt_yds_per_punt
https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2021/REG/all/puntingpuntsinside20/DESC
https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2021/REG/all/puntingnetyardage/DESC
https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting/2021/regular-season?sort=puntnet&limit=100

16th out of 35 qualified punters in punt avg, while 15th in net yards and 13th highest in net average.
20th out of 35 inside the 20.

Huber is STILL an above average punter in this league, fact.

(01-25-2022, 11:30 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: It is likely but I still would rather have the San Diego State punter. He can really effect field position.

Unless our FO are the ultimate trolls, Chrisman will be punting next year and he had experience punting in the cold, whereas Ariaza has never kicked outside of the southern US (exaggerating, of course, but the point stands).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: False, but whatever.

I'm all for moving on after this year, but it's a blatant lie that he's awful:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/kicking.htm#kicking::punt_yds_per_punt
https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2021/REG/all/puntingpuntsinside20/DESC
https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2021/REG/all/puntingnetyardage/DESC
https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting/2021/regular-season?sort=puntnet&limit=100

16th out of 35 qualified punters in punt avg, while 15th in net yards and 13th highest in net average.
20th out of 35 inside the 20.

Huber is STILL an above average punter in this league, fact.

Unless our FO are the ultimate trolls, Chrisman will be punting next year and he had experience punting in the cold, whereas Ariaza has never kicked outside of the southern US (exaggerating, of course, but the point stands).

Who says he cannot kick in this environment. Evan McPherson was a Florida Gator and it doe snot seem to be bothering him too much. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 07:14 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Who says he cannot kick in this environment. Evan McPherson was a Florida Gator and it doe snot seem to be bothering him too much. 

Punting and FGs are different Wink

Truthfully though, Araiza will probably be a great punter in the league, but I still don't think we'll need him: I'm not an OSU guy, but Chrisman was a good punter there and a local guy. Araiza also just started punting full-time, this year.

If it's 5th round or later, sure, but before that, no thanks.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dru-chrisman-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-araiza-1.html
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 07:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Punting and FGs are different Wink

Truthfully though, Araiza will probably be a great punter in the league, but I still don't think we'll need him: I'm not an OSU guy, but Chrisman was a good punter there and a local guy. Araiza also just started punting full-time, this year.

If it's 5th round or later, sure, but before that, no thanks.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dru-chrisman-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-araiza-1.html

I look at this way if Drew Chrisman was really good he would. have been drafted and been on a team right now.
Araiza may go in. the 3rd round to some one. He can change the field when you need it to be changed.
I wont be upset if they settle for Chrisman though.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 05:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are better guards, but at what cost?
That's the real question.

He is a West Virginia Mountaineer. Re-sign him! He plays with heart!
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 09:36 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I look at this way if Drew Chrisman was really good he would. have been drafted and been on a team right now.
Araiza may go in. the 3rd round to some one. He can change the field when you need it to be changed.
I wont be upset if they settle for Chrisman though.
Punter in the 3rd, I'll have what your having.

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 05:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are better guards, but at what cost?
That's the real question.

He is a West Virginia Mountaineer. Re-sign him! He plays with heart!
Reply/Quote