Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quinton Spain Appreciation Thread
(11-24-2021, 12:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I still don't understand how we were able to sign him so cheaply.  

I thought he played well for us last year, but I figured there was something I was missing.  It is extremely hard to grade O-linemen.  I figured the rest of the NFL knew more than I did.

It is probably the hardest thing to do from an analytical standpoint. All other positions generate metrics you can work with but OL don't for half of their responsibilities. You can grade an OL in pass-pro pretty easily, but their run game contributions are SUPER difficult. The best thing that I have would be taking EPA per rush, SR and YPC based on which gap/location the ball was run but that still doesn't isolate that specific lineman. Here is what I have this season, sorted on EPA per rush. 

[Image: yZ3WoF7.png]

Running right side wide has been really, really bad but the sample size is pretty small.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 12:24 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Technically a "pancake" block is when the opponent lands on their back.

You can knock someone over... that is still great. But it is not a pancake. Words have meaning and they lose that meaning when people misuse them. I guess Mike (Sans) never played football.

You can simply Google "pancake block" or use https://www.sportsrec.com/7108433/what-is-a-pancake-block-in-football

Dude, he may have made a mistake in his verbiage, but I guarantee that Sans can run circles around you when it comes to football knowledge.

There isn't literally another Bengal (FAN) out there on SM, that knows the game as well as he does. Legitimately.

And AFAIR, he played OL in HS.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Once the season starts there are not a lot of live reps in practice to learn a scheme or build chemistry. So what Spain did last year was pretty impressive.

Just 3 days after we signed him he replaced Shaq Calhoun who had started at RG against the Titans and played 85% of the snaps that game. In the next game against the Steelers he started at ROT. It was the first time he had played tackle in his NFL career. After that he started the rest of the season at either LG or RG. So despite having to learn on the run he started at three different positions over the last half of the season.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 01:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Dude, he may have made a mistake in his verbiage, but I guarantee that Sans can run circles around you when it comes to football knowledge.

There isn't literally another Bengal (FAN) out there on SM, that knows the game as well as he does. Legitimately.

And AFAIR, he played OL in HS.

I played 11 years and coached HS LBers for my team after college, what guarantee do you have?

Middle school players know that term as it is the only real stat you give to lineman from ponies to midgets to middle school to high school....

Just saying... It wasn't a pancake. Still a great block.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 03:46 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I played 11 years and coached HS LBers for my team after college, what guarantee do you have?

Middle school players know that term as it is the only real stat you give to lineman from ponies to midgets to middle school to high school....

Just saying... It wasn't a pancake. Still a great block. He didn't get his head across the defender, but still handled him easily. Which makes it a moot point.

Not a problem and again, not disagreeing with your assertion that he got it wrong (you're right), but maybe he won't run circles around you anymore lol. He does know the game incredibly-well though, take a look at his (constant) film breakdown; literally a dozen clips a day, where he talks (sometimes) about concepts, what should/shouldn't be done, etc.:

https://twitter.com/bengals_sans
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 08:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He continues to be an absolute monster for us (and obviously quite a bargain). I don’t think I’ve enjoyed watching any of our O-linemen this much since before Whit left.

I thought he would be good this year but not this good, especially in the run game. He sure ain't no Cordy Glenn out 
there, Spain has always been a pretty good pass protector but those run blocks were just pancakes, plain nasty.

Love it man. Rock On

I want us to pay the man after the season, extend him for years to come. He is living up to what he said in the 
Offseason about being so underrated. One of the best Guards in the game right now and yeah, probably my fave 
OL since Whit.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 12:24 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Technically a "pancake" block is when the opponent lands on their back.

You can knock someone over... that is still great. But it is not a pancake. Words have meaning and they lose that meaning when people misuse them. I guess Mike (Sans) never played football.

You can simply Google "pancake block" or use https://www.sportsrec.com/7108433/what-is-a-pancake-block-in-football

I have no idea if he ever played, but he knows his X’s and O’s better than 99% of your casual football fans. This seems like kind of a silly thing to get hung up on.

Reply/Quote
I've been a huge fan of his since the day he showed up and played 2 or 3 days after he got here. Many people crapped all over the idea of him being a starter. The man is massive and mean, and is a great attribute to this team. I hope they give him at least a 3 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 05:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I have no idea if he ever played, but he knows his X’s and O’s better than 99% of your casual football fans. This seems like kind of a silly thing to get hung up on.

Yeah, I call those pancake blocks. 

He owned his man whether you want to call it a pancake or be technical it really doesn't matter.

(11-24-2021, 06:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I've been a huge fan of his since the day he showed up and played 2 or 3 days after he got here. Many people crapped all over the idea of him being a starter. The man is massive and mean, and is a great attribute to this team. I hope they give him at least a 3 year deal.

I wanted Spain before we got him and was ecstatic when he came in and the OL immediately was better as a whole.

He is a big dude, BTW Adeniji is big too and was playing well against the Raiders.
Reply/Quote
I remember getting dumped on last year here when we got Spain and I said I was amazed that a starter quality NFL caliber Guard literally dropped out of the sky to us. Spain was excellent last year under very taxing circumstances and this year has turned LG from a catastrophic weakness into a strength.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 09:24 PM)Joelist Wrote: I remember getting dumped on last year here when we got Spain and I said I was amazed that a starter quality NFL caliber Guard literally dropped out of the sky to us. Spain was excellent last year under very taxing circumstances and this year has turned LG from a catastrophic weakness into a strength.

We were both there together man. Cool
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 04:32 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4

Brrring out. The Comfy Chair!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Quinton is officially Cam’s father after that game. :lol:

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

"Snatch Trap"?

Hmm

Really?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Snatch Trap"?

Hmm

Really?

Well, at least this nitpick with his terminology is actually funny. LOL

The missing “and” definitely stands out. LOL

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 08:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He continues to be an absolute monster for us (and obviously quite a bargain). I don’t think I’ve enjoyed watching any of our O-linemen this much since before Whit left.

After watching that second clip about him burying his guy, I'm surprised there aren't warrants out for him for murdering #24
Reply/Quote