Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Quinton Spain is visiting Cincy this week; likely to sign
I have reservations about this.

I've seen no talk of whether he is a good scheme fit, only that he's a warm body so we must do everything we can to sign him.

I know little about him but can't help but think the reaction would be very different if he'd been signed day one of free agency and presented as the Bengals' solution to all our O-line woes. Where would he rank amongst guards due to hit Free Agency at the end of the season?

By signing him now it makes the Bengals less likely to address the O-line in the off-season. We saw how second half adjustments and a couple of decent displays against a Garrett-less Cleveland and a tanking Miami convinced the front office that we were as good as set for protecting the franchise. This seems like a short term band-aid that will just provide an excuse for not making the long term fixes that are required on the line. If he's 29, he'll be 31/32 and in decline when Burrow's rookie window is open.

If he signs where does he play? He's a LG but that's where Michael Jordan has been playing. Jordan is just off the best game of his career and we're in an important evaluation phase for him. Do we move him or Jordan to RG?

Saving the money for a run at Ohio native Thuney in the off-season seems like a better plan to me but persuade me otherwise.
Reply/Quote
I am always curious why guys are let go, figuring that if better teams let them walk, why do the Bengals want them....seems like he was pretty serviceable, and he just didn't fit what they wanted to do. Here was an article about him I found. Wasn't like he was disgruntled or anything.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-gm-brandon-beane-explains-release-of-guard-quinton-spain/article_2d617fce-13b9-11eb-a701-fff06586eb31.html
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Personally, my goal is to build a great OL, not a mediocre one. I'd sign Spain & worry about the rest later. He is miles better than Sutherland (who we can waive), and Redmond can be a backup where he belongs.

My OL plan would look something like this for next year (2021 cap/dead cap):

OG: Spain (?/?, 3 yr/15 mil last deal), XSF ($3.2/$667k), Jordan ($972k/$244k) + 1 FA/ draft.
OT: J. Williams ($4.8/$10.4), +1 FA/draft, Adeniji ($832k/$159k).
C: Hopkins ($6.6 mil/$2.25)

Borderline: Hart ($6.9 mil, $1.1 dead cap), Johnson ($850k/0), Price ($3.7 mil/$1.6).

Gone or PS: Redmond, Sutherland.

I'd be loathe to release anyone who is even a low-level starter level guy (Hopkins, Hart) or slightly better (Spain). Williams is already at least that. Spain does not break the bank, he should come cheaper than Hart or Hopkins.

Jordan, Johnson, & Adeniji are all projects, but also dirt cheap. Jordan is the furthest along. If they show there is a chance to be a player, they stay.

Hopkins has to stay, unless we want Price to stay. Those guys are our only C options at the moment.

Now, if Johnson, Adeniji, and/or Price really show out the next couple weeks, then maybe letting Hart/Hopkins go & using that $$ for a stud lineman becomes more of an option.

Dream OL scenario: Johnson & Adeniji show enough to release Hart for next year (though he's fine as a backup). Sign Thuney. Draft Sewell.

I don't think we will pick that high, however. Sewell apoears to be the only stud OT prospect, so it is FA for a stud OT or more Hart. Though convincing a stud OT to play here is gonna be hard.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Personally, my goal is to build a great OL, not a mediocre one. I'd sign Spain & worry about the rest later. He is miles better than Sutherland (who we can waive), and Redmond can be a backup where he belongs.

My OL plan would look something like this for next year (2021 cap/dead cap):

OG: Spain (?/?, 3 yr/15 mil last deal), XSF ($3.2/$667k), Jordan ($972k/$244k) + 1 FA/ draft.
OT: J. Williams ($4.8/$10.4), +1 FA/draft, Adeniji ($832k/$159k).
C: Hopkins ($6.6 mil/$2.25)

Borderline: Hart ($6.9 mil, $1.1 dead cap), Johnson ($850k/0), Price ($3.7 mil/$1.6).

Gone or PS: Redmond, Sutherland.

I'd be loathe to release anyone who is even a low-level starter level guy (Hopkins, Hart) or slightly better (Spain). Williams is already at least that. Spain does not break the bank, he should come cheaper than Hart or Hopkins.

Jordan, Johnson, & Adeniji are all projects, but also dirt cheap. Jordan is the furthest along. If they show there is a chance to be a player, they stay.

Hopkins has to stay, unless we want Price to stay. Those guys are our only C options at the moment.

Now, if Johnson, Adeniji, and/or Price really show out the next couple weeks, then maybe letting Hart/Hopkins go & using that $$ for a stud lineman becomes more of an option.

Dream OL scenario: Johnson & Adeniji show enough to release Hart for next year (though he's fine as a backup). Sign Thuney. Draft Sewell.

I don't think we will pick that high, however. Sewell apoears to be the only stud OT prospect, so it is FA for a stud OT or more Hart. Though convincing a stud OT to play here is gonna be hard.

Well Hart is having a better year if he continues to play well enough back from injury.. for that price we could totally keep him and draft a OT for the future.  It is really hard to find a really good OT in FA.. and we are couple years away from being competitive probably so I prefer to sign a middle level guard/tackle next year and draft two lineman early rounds
Reply/Quote
Looks like he's gonna sign

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/10/27/21536549/bengals-news-rumors-ol-quinton-spain-nfl-free-agents-2020?fbclid=IwAR386jVk1U7cqJIuD-OuUtN2DB7mz2LbJHkfC2tsyS-ADQbfogJP1RwTLIk
Reply/Quote
This team needs him. If signed, credit to the FO and coaches involved. Ts, is a no brainer.
Reply/Quote
Paper this morning said he's played in 70 games and started 66, while giving up 9 sacks and 115 pressures.
Reply/Quote
For what it’s worth here is what Bills fans are saying about him

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/227886-quinton-spain-released-likely-to-sign-with-bengals/
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 04:09 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: For what it’s worth here is what Bills fans are saying about him

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/227886-quinton-spain-released-likely-to-sign-with-bengals/

I know people mock board experts, but I trust fans opinions on their teams message board. 

We are the most die hard fans there is (those who spend the day on their teams message boards). Of course we are experts!

Now if only some defenders will shake loose. That's who we really need at this point. Burrow battered and bruised can still make the plays to win. More protection is nice but will it equate to wins at this point (with this D)?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 04:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: I know people mock board experts, but I trust fans opinions on their teams message board. 

We are the most die hard fans there is (those who spend the day on their teams message boards). Of course we are experts!

Now if only some defenders will shake loose. That's who we really need at this point. Burrow battered and bruised can still make the plays to win. More protection is nice but will it equate to wins at this point (with this D)?

Hopefully this signing would help improve the line
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 11:46 PM)Trademark Wrote: Hopefully this signing would help improve the line

I can't see it doing much for the Defensive Backfield
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
This isn't like signing a Defensive Lineman and telling him to just go rush the QB or push the pocket. This guy is going to have to learn the offense on the fly. I hope he has a good football IQ...
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This isn't like signing a Defensive Lineman and telling him to just go rush the QB or push the pocket. This guy is going to have to learn the offense on the fly. I hope he has a good football IQ...

Offensive linemen are usually some of the smartest players (Bobby Hart’s strange beliefs notwithstanding).

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 04:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: I know people mock board experts, but I trust fans opinions on their teams message board. 

90% of fans are clueless when judging almost all position groups and especially the OL. Anytime an OL gets beat all of a sudden it's his fault. There's not another position group in football, let alone all sports, where 5 players (sometimes 6-7 with including TE's based on certain jumbo or overload packages) where all players HAVE to be on the same page. One guy misses an assignment most times that play gets blown up. Fans have no idea what assignments players are responsible for.
Reply/Quote
update

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We need this guy!!! B.J Finney is not the answer.
Reply/Quote
Let's let him get to town and be evaluated first. Assuming he is in good game shape he gets signed and hopwfully with the flux on the line Turner realizes the blocking schemes will need to be really straightforward as these linemen lack playing time together.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 05:01 PM)pally Wrote:

The big question will be the length of the contract. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 05:01 PM)pally Wrote:

Their two best offensive linemen on a bad offensive line may miss this Sunday and Dehner's waxing poetic about "in case of emergency"? If this isn't an emergency, WTF is, Dehner?
Reply/Quote