Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Quinton Spain is visiting Cincy this week; likely to sign
(10-29-2020, 01:15 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Jordan had his best game of the year against the Browns. 

(10-29-2020, 01:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't sign him for anything more than this year and let's see how it plays out. 

Spain has had 2 years in a row not giving up a sack. I think we can safely say right now he is much better than Jordan.

Start the best player and with the way Spain pass protects it would really help out Burrow more than a hurt Jordan.

(10-29-2020, 10:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's all I could find on Spain, as I'm not a PFF subscriber

2015  63.2  1 penalty  2 sacks
2016  84.2  7 penalties  2 sacks
2017  63.5  5 penalties  4 sacks
2018  67.7  6 penalties  1 sack
2019  55.4  4 penalties  0 sacks
2020  60.6  1 penalty  0 sacks

Pretty great rating there in 2016 I must say. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:34 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Noooooo, Hopkins IS good.  Cry

Not to worry....from what I've been reading this morning, Spain is a pretty safe bet to be signed, after that, there is talk of trading Billy Price. That puts Spain and XSF as the potential starters after the bye, Jordan and Finney as the backups (and Redmond if they don't cut him), with Finney also backing up Hopkins. I wouldn't hate it. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:37 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Not to worry....from what I've been reading this morning, Spain is a pretty safe bet to be signed, after that, there is talk of trading Billy Price. That puts Spain and XSF as the potential starters after the bye, Jordan and Finney as the backups (and Redmond if they don't cut him), with Finney also backing up Hopkins. I wouldn't hate it. 

Would be in a better situation than how the season started. So, not an easy thing to do, improving the Oline in season with players from outside.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spain has had 2 years in a row not giving up a sack. I think we can safely say right now he is much better than Jordan.

Start the best player and with the way Spain pass protects it would really help out Burrow more than a hurt Jordan.

Pretty great rating there in 2016 I must say. ThumbsUp

Spain's numbers are impressive and he is an instant upgrade to the line. Also nice that he will get the bye week to adjust and get some reps.

I just still can't figure out why Buffalo cut ties with him??? There has to be something that isn't being reported.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:45 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Spain's numbers are impressive and he is an instant upgrade to the line. Also nice that he will get the bye week to adjust and get some reps.

I just still can't figure out why Buffalo cut ties with him??? There has to be something that isn't being reported.

I just heard that he lost the starting position to another player, so they wanted to cut his salary.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have one guy (Jonah) that is a quality starter. They have a group of guys (Hart, Jordan, Finney, Hopkins, XSF and hopefully Spain) who if two of them were starting, you could still have a good line as long as the other three guys are really good. But if four of them are starting, you are in trouble. So I don't care how "decent" that any one player of that group looks individually, they still need to upgrade two spots in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:39 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Would be in a better situation than how the season started. So, not an easy thing to do, improving the Oline in season with players from outside.

It's certainly not. This is definitely a change of course with how this team has typically operated. If nothing else, at least Taylor has changed some of that.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 02:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I just heard that he lost the starting position to another player, so they wanted to cut his salary.

What I've heard to...and Pocic surprisingly beat out Finney in SEA.

Reply/Quote
Well both these guys are better pass protectors than what we have, so line them up and let Joe have some better protection to sling the ball.
Reply/Quote
20 page thread on Spain release on Bills forum

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/227886-quinton-spain-released-likely-to-sign-with-bengals/#comments

From what I gathered the Bills just extended him last off-season and was thrilled. Lots of confusion about the release. This may of been a case like Dunlap was for us a disgruntled Vet with odds with the coaches. Also rumors he came into the Bills camp out of shape.. and lastly a mysterious foot injury before the Titans game likely not a real injury.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 02:15 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: The Bengals have one guy (Jonah) that is a quality starter.  They have a group of guys (Hart, Jordan, Finney, Hopkins, XSF and hopefully Spain) who if two of them were starting, you could still have a good line as long as the other three guys are really good.  But if four of them are starting, you are in trouble.  So I don't care how "decent" that any one player of that group looks individually, they still need to upgrade two spots in the offseason.

At least 2...
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:45 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Spain's numbers are impressive and he is an instant upgrade to the line. Also nice that he will get the bye week to adjust and get some reps.

Well it looks like a lot of factors that went into it...

(10-29-2020, 02:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I just heard that he lost the starting position to another player, so they wanted to cut his salary.

That is what I first heard and it makes sense if he was making too much for them to afford and there was a player of equal
to better playing in the same spot that might be a better run blocker. If there is something that leaves to be desired with 
Spain it is his run blocking, but the dude is an excellent pass blocker.

(10-29-2020, 02:26 PM)QueenCity Wrote: 20 page thread on Spain release on Bills forum

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/227886-quinton-spain-released-likely-to-sign-with-bengals/#comments

From what I gathered the Bills just extended him last off-season and was thrilled.  Lots of confusion about the release. This may of been a case like Dunlap was for us a disgruntled Vet with odds with the coaches.  Also rumors he came into the Bills camp out of shape.. and lastly a mysterious foot injury before the Titans game likely not a real injury.

Even more factors, thanks.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 02:26 PM)QueenCity Wrote: 20 page thread on Spain release on Bills forum

From what I gathered the Bills just extended him last off-season and was thrilled.  Lots of confusion about the release. This may of been a case like Dunlap was for us a disgruntled Vet with odds with the coaches.  Also rumors he came into the Bills camp out of shape.. and lastly a mysterious foot injury before the Titans game likely not a real injury.

Awesome, thanks

Hopefully he comes in here and takes hold of a spot on the line and just holds onto it. Need a Boling type of guy. Not flashy, just solid and do your job.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 02:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well both these guys are better pass protectors than what we have, so line them up and let Joe have some better protection to sling the ball.

This is what I am talking about, use the pass to open up the run. Clearly it is not working the other way around.

Give Burrow time and we will always have a chance to win.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 03:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Awesome, thanks

Hopefully he comes in here and takes hold of a spot on the line and just holds onto it. Need a Boling type of guy. Not flashy, just solid and do your job.

Another Clint Boling would be GREAT right about now.

Reply/Quote

Ironically to a player the Bengals tried to move up to draft.

You may remember that the Bengals tried to trade up to take an O-lineman at the top of the 2nd round in 2019 but teams were asking too much.

It's highly likely that the Bengals were targeting Cody Ford, who had met with the Bengals prior to the draft and exactly matches what Jim Turner looks for.

Instead the Bills traded up two spots (it cost them only a 5th) to 38 to grab him. The Bengals were back at 42 as a result of having won an end of season game that didn't matter.

A disgruntled Bills O-lineman -what could go wrong?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fthumb...f=1&nofb=1]
Reply/Quote

Heard the same thing from a Bills fan, he was overweight/not in shape.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 03:24 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Ironically to a player the Bengals tried to move up to draft.

You may remember that the Bengals tried to trade up to take an O-lineman at the top of the 2nd round in 2019 but teams were asking too much.

It's highly likely that the Bengals were targeting Cody Ford, who had met with the Bengals prior to the draft and exactly matches what Jim Turner looks for.

Instead the Bills traded up two spots (it cost them only a 5th) to 38 to grab him. The Bengals were back at 42 as a result of having won an end of season game that didn't matter.

A disgruntled Bills O-lineman -what could go wrong?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fthumb...f=1&nofb=1]

Hope he is not as soft in the run game as THAT guy...
Reply/Quote
I think we will also have Price starting at Center this Sunday. If he has another good game like he did last week it will be encouraging.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad they're trying to improve. That's great!

I want them to build a dominant OL in the offseason. That means finding, and (eventually) paying for, Great Guards! You and I know they're worth it. Has the FO learned? Time will tell.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote