Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
R.I.P. Team Sewell
Bengals defense holds one of the best offenses in the league to 24 points, and that’s with the Vikings only turning the ball over once, and now we’re saying the defense wasn’t the reason cincy won?

Get real.

Tremendous effort by the defense today. Eli Apple slipped up, but I think he was still overall decent today
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: In today’s league? Against one of the best offenses in the league?

Yes holding the Vikings to 24 points is fantastic.

Holding, false starts, PI.

I think Vikings shot themselves in the foot the whole 1st quarter while Zac played patty-cake offense with good field position to boot.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:24 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Holding, false starts, PI.

I think Vikings shot themselves in the foot the whole 1st half while Zac played patty-cake offense with good field position to boot.

Fixed it
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:24 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Holding, false starts, PI.

I think Vikings shot themselves in the foot the whole 1st quarter while Zac played patty-cake offense with good field position to boot.

I won’t disagree there

But I think the oline is limiting this offense significantly
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:16 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Honest question. I spent more time reading game day posts than watching every second of every snap. Did Carman play today? I didn't see his name mentioned at all. Not trying to hate on him. I'm honestly curious if he was on the field.

He didn’t play. I thought Spain and XSF were solid. Especially the latter.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I won’t disagree there

But I think the oline is limiting this offense significantly

I agree.  Don't get me wrong.  I think the O-line needs more and always have.

I'd love to see some more open lanes for Mixon and of course time for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He didn’t play. I thought Spain and XSF were solid. Especially the latter.

Thanks.  Yes overall I think they did a good job.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:16 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Honest question.  I spent more time reading game day posts than watching every second of every snap.  Did Carman play today?  I didn't see his name mentioned at all.  Not trying to hate on him.  I'm honestly curious if he was on the field.

Saw him on special teams.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:28 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Thanks.  Yes overall I think they did a good job.

Basically Hopkins with missed blocks by Perine and Sample were the glaring spots.

I'm just worried about teams that they'll face in the future.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:31 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Basically Hopkins with missed blocks by Perine and Sample were the glaring spots.

I'm just worried about teams that they'll face in the future.

Vikings have one of the weaker defenses they’ll face all season

I know it’s a tough pill to swallow for some of our “fans”
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Vikings have one of the weaker defenses they’ll face all season

I wonder if people's minds would change if Burrow was not okay after the game?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:27 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I agree.  Don't get me wrong.  I think the O-line needs more and always have.

I'd love to see some more open lanes for Mixon and of course time for Burrow.

Of the 5 sacks given up, I think only 2 were actually the fault of the line, if I remember right. I think one was on the TE, one was on Perine and I had one on Burrow for holding the ball too long after he didn't see Higgins open right in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Of the 5 sacks given up, I think only 2 were actually the fault of the line, if I remember right. I think one was on the TE, one was on Perine and I had one on Burrow for holding the ball too long after he didn't see Higgins open right in front of him.

Hopkins whiffed his block on 2 of the hits.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Vikings have one of the weaker defenses they’ll face all season

If you asked a Vikings fan they would say the Bengals has one of the weakest defenses they will see all season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Vikings have one of the weaker defenses they’ll face all season

Maybe right NOW they are. I won’t argue there. But if you think Zim isn’t gonna have that defense humming soon, I’m not sure what to tell ya. I think they’re stout. Good line, couple good LBs ( Barr was out today, Kendricks ain’t no joke), Mac Alexander, and Harrison Smith at safety is pretty good if you ask me. Me personally, I’m glad we caught them for game 1, as I think we stole one here.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 06:17 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Sewell doesn't play center 

The point is we are 1 game in and worried about Burrow getting hurt behind a bad line.  The notion that would should have gone o line with Sewell is logical unless our like is good this year. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The point is we are 1 game in and worried about Burrow getting hurt behind a bad line.  The notion that would should have gone o line with Sewell is logical unless our like is good this year. 

I think it would have been better to address the interior line in free agency or more on the draft. Sewell does nothing for us today 

Take away Chase's 100 yards and TD and it's a different game too
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:42 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I think it would have been better to address the interior line in free agency or more on the draft. Sewell does nothing for us today 

Take away Chase's 100 yards and TD and it's a different game too

Not saying Chase was the wrong pick, just saying Burrow's first game in 10 months had a scary knee thing.  Hard tp say Sewell would have been a dumb pick. 

Though Sewell wouldn't be a bad pick unless he totally busts. 
Reply/Quote
From Vikings SI:

With that said, you can't make the argument that the Vikings deserved to win based on their overall performance. They committed 12 penalties for 116 yards, gave up three sacks, and were a little bit up-and-down on defense, allowing 366 total yards to Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon, and company.

The big issue, as has been the case for the majority of Zimmer's tenure in Minnesota, was the offensive line. Whether it was getting beat for sacks or pressure in Cousins' face or committing costly penalties that set the offense back, that unit was horrible all around. If that continues, the Vikings won't sniff the playoffs.

The Vikings' first half was an outright disaster of offensive football. They were flagged a ridiculous 13 times, with ten of those penalties being accepted. Nine of the ten were on the offense. There were five false starts, five holding calls (two were declined), and an illegal shift. Rashod Hill, starting at left tackle because rookie Christian Darrisaw is injured, was thoroughly dominated by Bengals defensive end Trey Hendrickson.

It was a mess. For the game, the Vikings' offense faced six third downs of at least 15 yards, with five of those at least 20 yards.

After the Vikings scored first on an Adam Thielen touchdown catch, the defense — which had gotten off to a strong start — sprung some holes. Joe Burrow and the Bengals scored touchdowns on three straight possessions spanning the end of the second quarter and the start of the third.

New Vikings cornerback Bashaud Breeland had a rough day, getting burned several times, most notably on a 50-yard touchdown pass to Ja'Marr Chase. Breeland also caught the penalty bug, with a pass interference flag setting up one of Cincinnati's other touchdowns.

Fortunately for the Vikings, they managed to reel in the penalties in the second half and the offense woke up. Kirk Cousins was excellent when he was given time to throw, finishing 36 of 49 for 351 yards, two touchdowns to Thielen, and no turnovers. Dalvin Cook went over 100 yards from scrimmage with a touchdown, while Thielen, Justin Jefferson, and K.J. Osborn all recorded at least 70 receiving yards.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:19 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I won't argue with that.

I just think the D failed in spots too.

Apple sucking it up didn't help them.

The D line looked really good at times. 

Look the whole point of this thread and the Sewell vs Chase thing is stupid.

Thinking just one pick is what the team needed to improve is silly.

What they do in free agency or movement with that pick in the draft mattered the most.

I digress.

You're not wrong on that.  

The offense is going to click, as we observed.  The OL is a work in progress, as far as opening reliable running lanes.  I did like what I saw on a few of the wide zone plays, where Mixon reached the edge and displayed his speed.  We need to also be able to rely on a push up the gut when we need a yard, as evidenced by that 4th and 1 failure that allowed the Vikings back into the game.

Overall, I thought that the offense looked improved in most aspects, save for short yardage push.

The defense took on a high powered offense, and held them in check for most of the game.  It wasn't until the offense started handing the ball right back, late in the second half, that Minnesota was able to get back into the game.  I really feel that as the season progresses, the defense will be a unit to be proud of.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote