Poll: What do you want to see happen at RB?
Keep Mixon sign Perine and Trayveon
Keep Mixon and draft
Keep Mixon sign Perine and draft late
Keep Mixon sign Trayveon and draft late
Cut Mixon and draft
Cut Mixon sign Perine and draft
Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and draft
Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and Perine and maybe draft
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
RB Decision
Our pitch to potential FA RBs is actually pretty solid if you think about it.

Last year the RB position accounted for 103 receptions and over 1000 yards. Chris Evans is the only guy signed next year so far and the coaches just don’t like him.

So we can go to any potential RB and tell them they are probably getting good touches and they will be very important to the team. I know we all love drafting but i think any vet back who is ok with making maybe 4-6 M would LOVE it here. Assuming we let Perine and Mixon go they are gonna get alot of touches and be part of a great team. If we get a guy that can pass block you could also promise this FA RB that he’s gonna see the field ALOT.

I feel like ANY vet would love this situation even if it’s obvious we aren’t gonna lead the league in rush attempts
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I really want to be able to keep Higgins, Boyd, and chase. Don't think we can do that by keeping Mixon. But doesn't he have a contract? Could also trade him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cut Mixon, keep Perine, and pick up Saquon Barkley in free agency.

My understanding is that Saquon Barkley is weak at pass protection/blocking. I thought he did well at Penn State, but his blocking in the NFL has drawn criticism. Pass protection is one reason that Mixon is expendable, in my view, because its so frustrating seeing how often he lets someone by him to pressure Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 05:26 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I really want to be able to keep Higgins, Boyd, and chase. Don't think we can do that by  keeping Mixon. But doesn't he have a contract? Could also trade him.

There's not a team in the league that would touch his contract.  His likely choices are to restructure and play for less here, or get cut and play for less elsewhere.  I don't believe trading him is an option.
Reply/Quote
I hope they try to trade him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'd veto that move.  Plenty of quality backs in this draft.  KC just showed how to get in the SB with a 7th rounder.

Have to agree. Tbh, we don't run enough to justify a big contract to RBs. Especially with everyone else we need to pay. We just need a guy who can average around 4 yards a pop on low volume and can catch a bit.

Those types of backs are a dime a dozen.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I have a hunch Perrine will not come cheap as many expect. I still think Mixon is better than both Perrine and Williams. But Perrine if we could sign him for under 4.5 million a year, I would cut Mixon. If he wants more, may have to let him walk.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'd veto that move.  Plenty of quality backs in this draft.  KC just showed how to get in the SB with a 7th rounder.

(02-07-2023, 08:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Have to agree. Tbh, we don't run enough to justify a big contract to RBs. Especially with everyone else we need to pay. We just need a guy who can average around 4 yards a pop on low volume and can catch a bit.

Those types of backs are a dime a dozen.

Yup

With Dalton I believed we needed a strong running game/back. With Joe Burrow umm not so much. We can't tie up all that money, with all we're gonna have going out, in the RB position. Especially one that's only ok at YPC and can't pass protect. 
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 08:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have a hunch Perrine will not come cheap as many expect. I still think Mixon is better than both Perrine and Williams. But Perrine if we could sign him for under 4.5 million a year, I would cut Mixon. If he wants more, may have to let him walk.

I don't see how he's done anything to command more than 3-4M.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 08:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have a hunch Perrine will not come cheap as many expect. I still think Mixon is better than both Perrine and Williams. But Perrine if we could sign him for under 4.5 million a year, I would cut Mixon. If he wants more, may have to let him walk.

Perine is a 28 year old running back that has averaged 160 yds per season.... 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 11:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't see how he's done anything to command more than 3-4M.

If i secretly thought Perine was as good or better then Mixon 6M is easily less than his worth. But he was worse than Mixon and that’s factoring in he’s a better pass protector. 4M is almost exactly where i rank his value. Some team may offer that, plus some more years. I can only assume we’ll only offer like 2m and one year. I just do not see us in the Perine mix unless there’s just no market for him.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 11:57 PM)Housh Wrote: If i secretly thought Perine was as good or better then Mixon 6M is easily less than his worth. But he was worse than Mixon and that’s factoring in he’s a better pass protector. 4M is almost exactly where i rank his value. Some team may offer that, plus some more years. I can only assume we’ll only offer like 2m and one year. I just do not see us in the Perine mix unless there’s just no market for him.

That's just it. There is no market for Perine. Look at any list and you won't see his name anywhere, unless they're naming every single RB who is a FA. 

There are at least 15 FA RBs out there who are clearly on other teams radar and he's nowhere to be found. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Mixon gets enough credit for his hands

I just want to iterate that the only reason we are all saying cut Mixon is because he costs too much. For the most part he’s a brutal runner. But he’s a GREAT pass catching back. The issue with that being his best quality of 2022 is that Chris Evans does that just as good or even better than Mixon. So what sense does it make to keep a RB based simply off the fact that he’s also a decent receiver? If I’m paying a damn RB 12M he better be a great RB. I’d much rather Frankenstein this shit than pay Mixon 12M. All we need is 2 backs. Chris Evans can be the 3rd and long back but whatever guy we get needs to be the bell cow, pass pro type back. Im sure one will be in FA and not want too much. Hell we may even get a guy better than Mixon for less money simply because he wants to with Joe Burrow and Zac Taylor.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 12:38 AM)Housh Wrote: I don’t think Mixon gets enough credit for his hands

I just want to iterate that the only reason we are all saying cut Mixon is because he costs too much. For the most part he’s a brutal runner. But he’s a GREAT pass catching back. The issue with that being his best quality of 2022 is that Chris Evans does that just as good or even better than Mixon. So what sense does it make to keep a RB based simply off the fact that he’s also a decent receiver? If I’m paying a damn RB 12M he better be a great RB. I’d much rather Frankenstein this shit than pay Mixon 12M. All we need is 2 backs. Chris Evans can be the 3rd and long back but whatever guy we get needs to be the bell cow, pass pro type back. Im sure one will be in FA and not want too much. Hell we may even get a guy better than Mixon for less money simply because he wants to with Joe Burrow and Zac Taylor.

The Evans love reminds me of backup QB love, the guy was not a good pick.  He has made a handful of good catches but has not been much and the pick made no sense.

Reply/Quote
I think the team tries to re-sign Perine. If they get him, then I see Mixon getting cut immediately. I see the team drafting a RB no matter what happens. I know the coaches always wanted Mixon to be a 3 down back, but he just never succeeded at pass blocking. I can see pass blocking RBs being the eye of the Bengals from round 2 and on.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote