Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RB Stable with Mixon Gone
(05-22-2024, 06:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: Plus he hasn't played six seasons. He was a 3rd round pick of the Bills in the 2020 draft. The Bills were using him to spell Devin Singletary and when he was in he was productive. They traded him to the Colts where he was the backup for Jonathan Taylor (who is making 11 million this season and had they moved on from him would have been a 23 million dead cap hit). He was only on the market because the Colts could not afford to keep him and Taylor, and he chose to take a "bet on yourself" deal here which was wise because every time he has gotten snaps he has produced. 

I thought that was a mistake. We got younger at RB moving on from Mixon and going to Zack Moss and Chase Brown.

2020 last I checked was 4 years ago lol

(05-23-2024, 12:18 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: His stats are what they are. He’s played 6 seasons as a backup and I’m only responding to those that think he will be great. There’s absolutely zero evidence he will be better than Mixon. Mixon just signed a 3 year 27 million dollar contract with 13 million guaranteed. He made out like a bandit. Moss meanwhile will make an avg. of 4 million a year. Let’s don’t get carried away that Moss is some great improvement until he proves it. We will find out about Mixon as he will have better run blocking. When he has a great year…. The pundits will say he just wasn’t trying here

All Zack Moss has to do to be better than Mixon is hit holes with some vision and not be tripped by the turf monster.

The only things Mixon was good at was catching the ball out of the backfield and ball security. Both of which Moss is good at as well.

We are younger and better off and Moss fits our Offense and Mixon fits the Texans Offense. Good for both of them.

(05-23-2024, 01:38 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I think this is an odd position to take.

One one hand, you say Zack Moss has been what he has been.... on the other, you say Joe Mixon is NOT what he has been.... which is a plodding, 4 yard per carry back who is not at all a threat to break a big run or gash defenses.

Zack Moss doesn't have to be an improvement over Mixon. He just has to be the same (and pass block better) while Brown gets platooned into the mix more.

I don't see why Bengals fans think that isn't possible for Moss to do, or a good thing for the offense as a whole.

It isn't odd for Soonerpeace, he is a Sooner fan, hence a Joe Mixon fan.

You are right, not hard for Moss to be just as good as Mixon the last few years. This should be a better OL this year too.

My only negative thought on Moss is he ran behind a great OL in Indy.

Ours isn't great, at least not yet. Maybe with more under Center play and unpredictability it will help the OL to be great. Sure hope so.

(05-23-2024, 01:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He has only been in the league four seasons. He was drafted in 2020. Has 2000+ rush yards and 14 rush TDs.

He was given the chance to be the lead runner for a short period of time to start last year and was trailing only Christian McCaffrey to be the leading rusher in the NFL after like the first 4-5 games last year.

I take that as evidence.

This is what has me excited for Zack Moss. He did look great last year filling in for Jonathan Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 01:52 AM)PDub80 Wrote: You're arguing just to argue.....

Planting your flag in CH-E?

- CH-E is a 1st round bust and the Chiefs shoved him down the depth chart after year 1.

- Ronald Jones is and was a nobody

- McKinnon, bless his soul, won me a fantasy title.... WITH RECEIVING YARDS & TDs. Not rushing, which is why you had to quote his yards from scrimmage and not rushing stats.

- Pacheco was an emerging young player and far from some proven playmaker.

^ He's a great example of why you rotate through RBs - yes, even young ones - until you find guys that fit your offense in today's NFL. None of these guys are "bell cows". They are a complimenting group.

And I STILL want to know if Chris Evans made a pass at one of the Blackburn girls or something and upset ownership. He's electric when he gets his hands on the ball.... yet has been MIA after a very good preseason.

I am not saying Moss is Emmit Smith. I'm saying he is at worse the same production as Mixon while blocking better....  AND Brown will get the rock more with Mixon gone - which makes the Bengals rushing atttack more explosive. AND that the Bengals did well in making better use of Mixons money.

CE-H had a fine rookie season and was having a good 2nd year until he suffered a knee injury in those 2 years he rushed for well over 1300 yards, 400 receiving yards, and 11 TDs, but that's probably not as firm of ground to plant one's flag than Chase and his 179 rushing yards, 156 receiving yards, and 1 TD

Prior to being signed by KC Ro Jo had played 4 years in the NFL, He had 2174 rushing yards, 571 receiving yards, and 19 TDs

Prior to being signed by Cincy ZM has played 4 years in the NFL, He has 2076 rushing yards, 523 receiving yards and 18 TDs

Now if you classify RO Jo as a "Nobody" when KC signed him, what do you classify ZM as?

And remember I'm the one "Just arguing to argue". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember when Samaje Perine was really hitting his stride on this team. He seemed to have a near perfect skill set for what they wanted out of their RB. He could be a short yardage back. He could pass block. He was pushing 240 and could punish teams who went too skinny against the pass. He could absorb contact and grind out clock to finish games. He could catch balls that hit him right in the hands. I like Moss, I think that Brown has potential going forward, I just wonder why they got away from what seemed to be working. Those guys are around 215 I believe. Despite his lack of second gear Perine seemed to add a lot of value and fill a niche. I'll admit I'm biased. I like to watch a bruising rushing attack really take the wind out of a defense's sails. 
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 08:51 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ll take as evidence that that evidence you treasure so much didn’t remotely move the needle for GM’s.

Well considering the value of RBs has been declining league wide and you are talking about the same group of GMs who took one RB before the 3rd round in the latest draft and the one who got picked first is coming off of a torn ACL? I think it’s fair to question some of their decision making. There were only 8 free agent RBs who signed deals with higher annual average values than Moss.

Barkley, Jacobs, Swift, Henry, Pollard, Jones, Singletary, Ekeler. I think it’s fair to say those guys have been more productive than Moss. Hence they got paid more.

And it’s not like he sat out there on the market forever and nobody wanted him. We had a contract agreement with him on the first day of free agency.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 08:01 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well considering the value of RBs has been declining league wide and you are talking about the same group of GMs who took one RB before the 3rd round in the latest draft and the one who got picked first is coming off of a torn ACL? I think it’s fair to question some of their decision making. There were only 8 free agent RBs who signed deals with higher annual average values than Moss.

Barkley, Jacobs, Swift, Henry, Pollard, Jones, Singletary, Ekeler. I think it’s fair to say those guys have been more productive than Moss. Hence they got paid more.

And it’s not like he sat out there on the market forever and nobody wanted him. We had a contract agreement with him on the first day of free agency.

I don’t disagree with that but looking at all of them Mixon scored big.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
We also did right by Mixon with the trade to a team that uses wide zone, which is more his style. And got a younger back whose style is a better fit to our scheme.
Reply/Quote
It's not like Chris Evans or Trayveon have ever been given an opportunity to establish themselves as the starter. I feel like we still don't know what they are fully capable of. Trayveon had a career high 12 carries vs Dallas in Andy Dalton's revenge game in 2020 and had 4.1ypc. Brandon Allen was the QB. Evans had a career high 7 carries vs the Browns and had 5ypc.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 02:35 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It's not like Chris Evans or Trayveon have ever been given an opportunity to establish themselves as the starter. I feel like we still don't know what they are fully capable of. Trayveon had a career high 12 carries vs Dallas in Andy Dalton's revenge game in 2020 and had 4.1ypc. Brandon Allen was the QB. Evans had a career high 7 carries vs the Browns and had 5ypc.

Evans seems to show something every time he gets an opportunity. He must really suck in practice or during preparation.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Loved Joe, he ground away for us admirably. But I won’t miss those short yardage losses when they counted or the dance behind the line.
I’m sure we’ll be fine.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 12:03 AM)Joelist Wrote: We also did right by Mixon with the trade to a team that uses wide zone, which is more his style. And got a younger back whose style is a better fit to our scheme.

Huh? Time after time we had to watch them run Joe Mixon on that stretch play, the one that seemingly always got strung out to the sideline for no gain, because Joe couldn't/wouldn't pick a lane to run through. That was wide zone.

Mixon's best work is when he hits the hole like he's been shot out of a cannon, between the Tackles.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 10:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Huh? Time after time we had to watch them run Joe Mixon on that stretch play, the one that seemingly always got strung out to the sideline for no gain, because Joe couldn't/wouldn't pick a lane to run through. That was wide zone.

Mixon's best work is when he hits the hole like he's been shot out of a cannon, between the Tackles.

I would think so but his constant trying to get the edge even when there was an inside hole would make it seem he feels more comfortable wide. 
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 10:20 AM)Joelist Wrote: I would think so but his constant trying to get the edge even when there was an inside hole would make it seem he feels more comfortable wide. 

I think that was part of the problem, he wanted to be something that he's not. He wants to be a cutback runner, but his best stuff is in a straight line. That alone is the biggest reason that I wasn't sad to see him go.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 11:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that was part of the problem, he wanted to be something that he's not. He wants to be a cutback runner, but his best stuff is in a straight line. That alone is the biggest reason that I wasn't sad to see him go.

Still believe that Le'Veon Bell (and Arian Foster) poisoned a whole generation of big RBs into that. Arian Foster set the stage but then the start of Le'Veon Bell's rise was the end of the era of like Marshawn Lynch, Frank Gore, Maurice Jones-Drew, Marion Barber, Chris Ivory... where even if you were 210 or 215 you tried to punish defenders and run them over.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 07:12 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I remember when Samaje Perine was really hitting his stride on this team. He seemed to have a near perfect skill set for what they wanted out of their RB. He could be a short yardage back. He could pass block. He was pushing 240 and could punish teams who went too skinny against the pass. He could absorb contact and grind out clock to finish games. He could catch balls that hit him right in the hands. I like Moss, I think that Brown has potential going forward, I just wonder why they got away from what seemed to be working. Those guys are around 215 I believe. Despite his lack of second gear Perine seemed to add a lot of value and fill a niche. I'll admit I'm biased. I like to watch a bruising rushing attack really take the wind out of a defense's sails. 

I like that type of RB myself and that was the reason I wanted us to draft a guy like Braelon Allen. Both Moss and Chase Brown are 
small backs, but Moss is hard to tackle and is good in short yardage despite being smaller and he can do a lot of what Samaje did for
us. He just isn't as physical as Samaje, not many are, dude had a wicked stiff arm, just ask Reid of the Chiefs lol

(05-24-2024, 11:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that was part of the problem, he wanted to be something that he's not. He wants to be a cutback runner, but his best stuff is in a straight line. That alone is the biggest reason that I wasn't sad to see him go.

Spot on about Mixon, he thought he was a scat back lol

Newsflash, you take too long to get up to speed and you miss holes when trying to cutback as a runner...

Happy to not have to watch these plays in the running game. Really frustrating. Just hit the damn hole. Mellow
Reply/Quote