Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS APRIL GAMES THREAD
Suarez at Shortstop just caused an error of what should be an easy out to a normal shortstop. It helped set up 6-0 Cardinals in middle of 1st inning. I can't see moving Suarez to Short to get India at second. Since when is India the next Willie Mays. In fact, Who Is India ? I'm not a Fan of Reds Opening Day Line-Up. I like a solid shortstop if he can hit or not. Suarez is a good third base, but he will not be athletic enough for shortstop. Why even move Suarez ? Oh right, new super star India. The Bell Family making some strange moves.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 05:28 PM)kevin Wrote: Suarez at Shortstop just caused an error of what should be an easy out to a normal shortstop.  It helped set up 6-0 Cardinals in middle of 1st inning.  I can't see moving Suarez to Short to get India at second.  Since when is India the next Willie Mays.  In fact, Who Is India ?  I'm not a Fan of Reds Opening Day Line-Up.

Guess you forgot Suarez played shortstop for the most part before coming to the Reds. He just flat whiffed on it.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Now 2 Errors by Suarez at Shortstop in inning 2. THIs is NOT going to work. Either India has to take a seat or Moose. Reds of McMillan, Cardenas, Conception, Larkin should know you want an athletic solid glove at Short. Suarez is good at Third, leave him there.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Suarez at short makes some sense if you're putting Snezel at 2nd or 3rd and making room for all of Winker/Shogo/Cast to get into the order. Unfortunately, Shogo is hurt, so it's kind of moot right now.

Also, they really screwed the pooch with this offseason. Not trading for any player or signing one) that they found to be an acceptable (not even good, just acceptable!) starter at short was a major indictment of the competency of this front office. Suarez isn't just playing short to be cute and get all the bats in the order. He's playing short because all of the shortstops on the roster are super-mega-shitty.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 06:00 PM)samhain Wrote: Suarez at short makes some sense if you're putting Snezel at 2nd or 3rd and making room for all of Winker/Shogo/Cast to get into the order.  Unfortunately, Shogo is hurt, so it's kind of moot right now.  

Also, they really screwed the pooch with this offseason.  Not trading for any player or signing one) that they found to be an acceptable (not even good, just acceptable!) starter at short was a major indictment of the competency of this front office.  Suarez isn't just playing short to be cute and get all the bats in the order.  He's playing short because all of the shortstops on the roster are super-mega-shitty.
NO...At Short you are looking DEFENSE.  A Short that can go into the hole deep, turn, throw sideways in mid air.  Iggey could do it.  Garcia sent to Minors can do it.  Suarez will not be able to do it.  Sparky Anderson would HATE this line-up, because Sparky preached DEFENSE UP THE MIDDLE. What the hell did he know, just 5 World Series and 3 World Series Wins in Cincy and Detroit. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 06:10 PM)kevin Wrote: NO...At Short you are looking DEFENSE.  A Short that can go into the hole deep, turn, throw sideways in mid air.  Iggey could do it.  Garcia sent to Minors can do it.  Suarez will not be able to do it.  Sparky Anderson would HATE this line-up, because Sparky preached DEFENSE UP THE MIDDLE. What the hell did he know, just 5 World Series and 3 World Series Wins in Cincy and Detroit. 

I've always thought it was dumb to keep Galvis over Iglesisas.  The move made zero sense to me.  Iglesisas hit for decent average and was a magician in the field.  It def wasn't money, because he was dirt cheap.  This team would be better off with him to this day.
Reply/Quote
Game Over. Reds Lose. Better Luck Next Game......I did enjoy Barry Larkin. I have completely hated Reds announcers last few years. Today as they started yacking launch angles and same old shot, Larkin was on them telling them you have to hit the ball first. Make contact, hit the ball hard, don't worry about launch angles. I LOVED IT. Hall of Fame Larkin will bring something to the table as Bench and Morgan did when announcing Reds games. .....Barry's take on the game was he liked how Reds hitters were at the plate. Barry who wanted to be made Reds manager after Price, but wasn't.

Barry Larkin is going to improve Reds Game Broadcasting 100 %. He knows The Game. He was also very Fan Friendly at things like Fan Picture Day where Fans could come early with a camera as Reds on field waiting. Barry was Great with The Kids and Parents. Larkin improved Reds broadcasting greatly today. He sounds good, and I better enjoy him now. I think National TV will hire him, OR he gets his chance to manage somewhere. I loved Bench or Morgan announcing for Reds, but they moved on to other things. Morgan becoming a National TV Game announcer. Welcome Barry Larkin to covering Reds Games, I enjoyed his takes on the game today.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 09:00 PM)kevin Wrote: Game Over. Reds Lose. Better Luck Next Game......I did enjoy Barry Larkin. I have completely hated Reds announcers last few years.  Today as they started yacking launch angles and same old shot, Larkin was on them telling them you have to hit the ball first.  Make contact, hit the ball hard, don't worry about launch angles.  I LOVED IT.   Hall of Fame Larkin will bring something to the table as Bench and Morgan did when announcing Reds games. .....Barry's take on the game was he liked how Reds hitters were at the plate.  Barry who wanted to be made Reds manager after Price, but wasn't.

Barry Larkin is going to improve Reds Game Broadcasting 100 %.   He knows The Game.  He was also very Fan Friendly at things like Fan Picture Day where Fans could come early with a camera as Reds on field waiting.  Barry was Great with The Kids and Parents.  Larkin improved Reds broadcasting greatly today. He sounds good, and I better enjoy him now.  I think National TV will hire him, OR he gets his chance to manage somewhere. I loved Bench or Morgan announcing for Reds, but they moved on to other things.  Morgan becoming a National TV Game announcer. Welcome Barry Larkin to covering Reds Games, I enjoyed his takes on the game today.

Glad to hear Larkin was solid in the booth.  He was a bit of a wildcard in my opinion.  I'm not aware of him doing announcing previously and was pretty curious how he'd do.  I didn't catch the game today, but awesome to hear it was an upgrade! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 06:49 PM)samhain Wrote: I've always thought it was dumb to keep Galvis over Iglesisas.  The move made zero sense to me.  Iglesisas hit for decent average and was a magician in the field.  It def wasn't money, because he was dirt cheap.  This team would be better off with him to this day.

Amen to that.. Letting Iggy go was the dumbest move since Homer..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
GAME 2 PLAYER TO WATCH : MAHLE....With Bauer and Disco gone, Pitchers need to step up. The weather is nice, no excuses like Opening Day Pitchers.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Mahle will be fine as long as he throws strikes. He's his own worst enemy. He either grooves it right down the middle or pitches just off of the plate. He needs to find the sweet spots around the plate corners. He drives up his pitch count and forcing him to exit early and forcing the game to be decided by a very questionable bullpen.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I’d like to know what Castellanos did that warranted ejection. Is there a rule about taunting that calls for ejection?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Throws one pitch in the sixth after hitting into a double play in the fifth. What was your plan, David?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 07:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’d like to know what Castellanos did that warranted ejection. Is there a rule about taunting that calls for ejection?

I'd like to know why Molina wasn't tossed for shoving Castellanos and running over the home plate ump in the process just getting to him? Flat out bs all around.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
What I liked about todays game was MAHLE. He didn't give up many runs and should get credit for a WIN. Not a bad day on the mound.

I also liked Aquino Home Run and Barnhart and as Barry Larkin says, The Reds Hitters approach at the plate first 2 games. Not swinging at bad pitches.

Mahle was boarder line Fantasy Draft material, and he put up some points with that WIN. They are going to need Mahle with Bauer and Disco gone. If he can give up 3 to 4 runs a game and go after 15 Wins, that would be HUGE......18 Fantasy Points in most Leagues. I'm seeing many did draft Mahle. He was one of those on the bubble draft picks. Many grabbed him and so far are happy they did. Good Game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 07:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Throws one pitch in the sixth after hitting into a double play in the fifth. What was your plan, David?
None. Sometimes it looks like he makes a decision to just make a decision. In have hated his managerial decisions almost every game.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
I honestly forgot that Sal Romano was still on the team.

Fun game to watch. I hope that India can maintain what he's shown thus far. It would be a welcome pleasant surprise. If he can hit consistently, then the lineup seems long. Also very encouraged by Tyler Mahle. He looked like he was in total control in a couple of innings.

That said, I'm scared now. We're getting to the Wade Miley/Justin Hoffman part of the program, and that has a high potential to go bad.
Reply/Quote
MLB BOYCOTTED.
Reply/Quote
WIN THE SERIES TODAY. Beating St Louis to start the season would be huge. You want to Win Series, especially against Division teams as in NFL wanting to beat Division Teams. If Bengals started season with Steelers, would we say too early to care, NO. Winning a Series against Division St Louis Cardinals is HUGE any time of the season. WIN SERIES TODAY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 01:45 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: MLB BOYCOTTED.

By who?
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote