Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS APRIL GAMES THREAD
OH NO! Our approval rating in Pittsburgh is in the toilet!  Now THAT'S depressing...right? Nervous
To be fair though...does anyone realistically expect the team to keep up the same pace all season? If they do it'll definitely be one for the record books..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:07 PM)grampahol Wrote: OH NO! Our approval rating in Pittsburgh is in the toilet!  Now THAT'S depressing...right? Nervous
To be fair though...does anyone realistically expect the team to keep up the same pace all season? If they do it'll definitely be one for the record books..

While keeping this pace is nearly impossible, it is encouraging to see different guys giving a spark at this point. Means when some of them start to cool as will eventually happen, other guys should be heating up to take their place.

Be nice to see them play quality baseball throughout the summer. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 05:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: While keeping this pace is nearly impossible, it is encouraging to see different guys giving a spark at this point. Means when some of them start to cool as will eventually happen, other guys should be heating up to take their place.

Be nice to see them play quality baseball throughout the summer. 

I remember well the Reds of the 70s doing just that. They would take turns in bunches at getting hot, cooling down, getting hot, etc... I remember Davey when he broke his ankle (on MY birthday none the less) and it seemed the whole team rallied to pick them up while he was out.. Same when Pete broke his thumb or when Bench hurt his back.. They just never let up..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 10:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: I remember well the Reds of the 70s doing just that. They would take turns in bunches at getting hot, cooling down, getting hot, etc... I remember Davey when he broke his ankle (on MY birthday none the less) and it seemed the whole team rallied to pick them up while he was out.. Same when Pete broke his thumb or when Bench hurt his back.. They just never let up..

When Eric Davis hurt his ankle in 1990. Nobody played out of their minds but every single player played at a pace that was slightly above their career averages. That was a beautiful thing to watch.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Didn't know where to put this so and didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd just put it here. I've stated before that I'm an Angels fan but the Reds are my favorite. I'm still stuck with Raisel Iglesias but I also get to root for Jose Iglesias again so that sort of makes this Reds related.

I've had a busy day(12 days into trying to recover from Covid) so I'm just starting the Angels @ the Blue Jays. 1st inning, Trout doubles then scores on a single by Rendon but on his way back to the dugout, Trout tip toes his way around the Jays logo behind the plate to make sure he doesn't touch their logo. I love that when guys on the teams that I support show respect to the opponents. An anti-JuJu if you will.

That's it, nothing more. Just wanted to point out something good in the game. As you were.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 04:38 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Didn't know where to put this so and didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd just put it here. I've stated before that I'm an Angels fan but the Reds are my favorite. I'm still stuck with Raisel Iglesias but I also get to root for Jose Iglesias again so that sort of makes this Reds related.

I've had a busy day(12 days into trying to recover from Covid) so I'm just starting the Angels @ the Blue Jays. 1st inning, Trout doubles then scores on a single by Rendon but on his way back to the dugout, Trout tip toes his way around the Jays logo behind the plate to make sure he doesn't touch their logo. I love that when guys on the teams that I support show respect to the opponents. An anti-JuJu if you will.

That's it, nothing more. Just wanted to point out something good in the game. As you were.

I always kind of liked Iglesias except when he was blowing games, but throughout his Reds tenure he was a lot better than a lot of fans gave him credit for.. It was those blown games that hurt him.. Fair or unfair it wasn't as if the Reds have been super competitive during Iglesias's time with the team..

Reply/Quote
I'm not an official fan of 9:40pm and later start times for games.. The only time I ever liked them was when the 70s Reds played out west and my folks let me stay up late to listen. Now at 61 I can stay up as late as I want, which I usually don't anymore anyway so it's not quite as special as I was when I was 10.. Somehow it's a bit different being 61 as opposed to 10.. I just can't put my finger on it..

Reply/Quote
Winker hits what looked like a first pitch leadoff homer but is called a double on the field. The ball hit the back of a chair up against the back of the wall and back on the field. They reviewed it for a good 3 minutes and still called it a double. There's just no excuse for replay to take that long and still blow it big time.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I like Mahle but he's his own worst enemy. No hits through 2 innings . . . 55 pitches. That's wasting a lot of pitches.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 11:30 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I like Mahle but he's his own worst enemy. No hits through 2 innings . . . 55 pitches. That's wasting a lot of pitches.

He nibbles to much
Reply/Quote
Naquin with another bomb!!!
Reply/Quote
How does the bullpen blow a 5-0 lead to this crap team?
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2021, 01:48 AM)cinci4life Wrote: How does the bullpen blow a 5-0 lead to this crap team?

Bedrosian is very hit and miss. Doolittle finally showed his Spring form. Sims straight up choked.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
The Reds are the only team in the NL Central scheduled today, which is weird for a Friday but they all fell back 1/2 a game today.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Watched the Angels @ Toronto either last night or today and saw Romano pitch. He has a great arm but a weird sequence on the mound. The bend down pre-stretch is different.

Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 11:55 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Naquin with another bomb!!!

Finally starting to look like the first round pick. 

Second time we took a former Indian prospect that they had given up on and the guy produced for us. Of course, Naquin has a long way to go to live up to the career of the other one, Dat Dude.

(04-10-2021, 02:19 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Bedrosian is very hit and miss. Doolittle finally showed his Spring form. Sims straight up choked.

When Cam is on, he is has some filthy stuff but when he is off it can get ugly quick. 

Nice to see the offense pick up the slack and get the team a win.

With Lorenzen and Gray not too far away from re-joining the team it'll be interesting to see who they send out from the staff.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 11:55 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Naquin with another bomb!!!

Leading the majors in HR, RBI, and SLG%.

Actually tied with Castellanos for first place in SLG%.

Reds have the best record in the majors and are first in batting avg, runs scored, HR, Slugging% and OPS.
Reply/Quote
Reds are on a historic run through 7 games. Most runs in NL in the world series era through first 7. Matching the 76 and 80 club in 7 consecutive games with 5+ runs. Got to go back the 36 club for 8 straight.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2021, 03:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Reds are on a historic run through 7 games. Most runs in NL in the world series era through first 7.  Matching the 76 and 80 club in 7 consecutive games with 5+ runs. Got to go back the 36 club for 8 straight.

After watching the little bit of Spring training I got to see I figured another 7-25 start was coming this season. So I'm happy we're coming out hot. Just hoping when the letdown finally hits it's not to big. 

I'd love to still enjoy baseball in August this year.
Reply/Quote
Chance to move up on the Cardinals as they lose 9-5 to the Brewers. Let's hope the Pirates wake up against the Cubs to keep the pressure on them also. Let's hope Hoffman proves that Sunday was no fluke.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote