Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS APRIL GAMES THREAD
On news that Reds are NOT putting Akiyama on Major League Roster. He has never hit an American MLB homer and this Spring his BA and OBP are .182 and too many others are playing better.

The good news for him is that he can refuse going to Minors at age 34 and go back to Japan and play where he is treated like a Rock Star Super Star. The good news for Reds if he quits and goes home, I would think Reds don't have to pay rest of his contract. I see it as a WIN/ WIN for both Akiyama and Reds.

As for those who rave about his glove, Billy Hamilton was better with a glove. At some point you have to get on base. The Reds just opened up a spot for all these players with good OBP this Spring such as Schrock with an amazing BA and OBP over .600 and many other Hitters and Pitchers for Reds who just out played Akiyama.

I posted elsewhere on this. Dorothy would say, " There is no place like Home ". ET, Phone Home. All Akiyama at age 34 has to do is go back to Japan and play instead of going to Reds Minors. He will be treated like a Super Star every place he goes in Japan, and he won't get that here. Japan will roll out The Red Carpet as he gets off the plane on his return to play in Japan, and that isn't all that bad for him.

With Castellano, Winker and Suarez gone, this was not the time to play a guy with a .182 BA and OBP this Spring, and no home run power. The Reds can try other players, and this 34 year old can go Home and play where he is treated like a Super Star.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Schrock out 4 to 6 weeks. Running to first base on a ball he hit to an infielder, he pulled a left leg calf muscle. He had a batting average and an on base average both over .600 this Spring and was slated to be a big part of the starting roster. Instead he stays in Arizona for treatment and rehab on the IL. He could be back in late May. Hopefully he comes back getting on base as he was. You can't expect a player to get on base 60 % of the time, but Schrock showed he could get on base a lot. For him and the Reds, hopefully he comes back from this leg injury and regains his ability to get on base that he had all Spring.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 01:14 AM)kevin Wrote: Schrock out 4 to 6 weeks.  Running to first base on a ball he hit to an infielder, he pulled a left leg calf muscle.  He had a batting average and an on base average both over .600 this Spring and was slated to be a big part of the starting roster.  Instead he stays in Arizona for treatment and rehab on the IL.  He could be back in late May. Hopefully he comes back getting on base as he was.  You can't expect a player to get on base 60 % of the time, but Schrock showed he could get on base a lot.  For him and the Reds, hopefully he comes back from this leg injury and regains his ability to get on base that he had all Spring.

Our best hitter in Spring Training out for a while. Another setback for this team.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Reds Spoil Atlanta Home Opener : Nice win by Reds knocking off World Series Champs. Great start by Mahle. Drury had the Big 3 Run Homer shot just over Left Field wall. Not a moon shot, but a big RBI Homer.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 02:10 PM)kevin Wrote: On news that Reds are NOT putting Akiyama on Major League Roster.   He has never hit an American MLB homer and this Spring his BA and OBP are .182 and too many others are playing better.

The good news for him is that he can refuse going to Minors at age 34 and go back to Japan and play where he is treated like a Rock Star Super Star.  The good news for Reds if he quits and goes home, I would think Reds don't have to pay rest of his contract.  I see it as a WIN/ WIN for both Akiyama and Reds.  

As for those who rave about his glove, Billy Hamilton was better with a glove.  At some point you have to get on base.  The Reds just opened up a spot for all these players with good OBP this Spring such as Schrock with an amazing BA and OBP over .600 and many other Hitters and Pitchers for Reds who just out played Akiyama.  

I posted elsewhere on this. Dorothy would say, " There is no place like Home ".  ET, Phone Home.   All Akiyama at age 34 has to do is go back to Japan and play instead of going to Reds Minors.  He will be treated like a Super Star every place he goes in Japan, and he won't get that here. Japan will roll out The Red Carpet as he gets off the plane on his return to play in Japan, and that isn't all that bad for him.

With Castellano, Winker and Suarez gone, this was not the time to play a guy with a .182 BA and OBP this Spring, and no home run power.  The Reds can try other players, and this 34 year old can go Home and play where he is treated like a Super Star.

Akiyama looked OK his first season. Not great, but OK..The problem was he was already aging out as a player and opposing pitchers figured out his weak points pretty quick..He wasn't able to adjust to ML pitching at his age.. That was a really poor contract, but the Reds aren't the only team to take on terrible contracts.. much has been said about the "terrible" deal Votto was signed to, but Votto has pretty much lived up to his deal with just a few subpar seasons. If Votto were a young free agent player just last year he could have signed a huge deal this year based on last year's production..  Yakiama? not so much.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Enjoying watching HUNTER GREENE so far in his first game ever for Reds. 4 K's in 2 inning, no runs. 100 mile per hour pitches, but he says his best pitch is his change up. Mario Soto was awesome with a great change up to go with the heater. Greene has a nasty slider that heads to the hitter and curves to the other side of the plate. I saw Bob Gibson pitch in person, and in no way will I compare him to Bob Gibson so early.....but I can Hope.

That Greene could also have been a great hitting shortstop, is it possible that Greene could become one of the best Gold Glove Pitchers of all time. A Pitcher who can also field hit balls has made great careers of some pitchers in baseball history. Greg Maddox, Jim Kaat, Bob Gibson top the list.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Not having Moose in there has already paid dividends.
Reply/Quote
Reds ahead 5 to 0 after 3. GREENE has 6 K's in 3 innings. Man, that is one nasty slide with so much curve to it, plus 100 MPH heater and his great change up.

I'm wondering who Reds bring in after Greene to pitch and win this game to Split The Series at Atlanta. Winning 2 out 0f 4 from World Champ Braves would be a good start to 2022 season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Hunter Greene goes 5 innings and leaves with 6 to 3 lead. Not bad for a 22 year old in first start against World Champ Braves.

Now WIN THE GAME and Split Series

Nice Homer by also young Top Pick Catcher Stephenson, who was part of battery calling the game for Greene.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Greene definitely brings the heat and it looks effortless. I think he's going to be fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 05:17 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Greene definitely brings the heat and it looks effortless. I think he's going to be fun to watch.

Sure hope so, we're going to need something to watch lol.
Reply/Quote
Nice Win and Reds are 2-2 after split at World Champ Atlanta.

I know some don't think Reds season starts until Reds Home Opener, but for Reds to get 2 wins at Atlanta is a great start.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 07:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sure hope so, we're going to need something to watch lol.

I have hope with Greene, Lodolo, and a Castillo return for my entertainment. India & Votta are fun hitters to watch.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 08:06 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I have hope with Greene, Lodolo, and a Castillo return for my entertainment. India & Votta are fun hitters to watch.

And Tyler Stephenson
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 05:17 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Greene definitely brings the heat and it looks effortless. I think he's going to be fun to watch.

As much as I'm anti-DH, I do love the fact that Greene and Lodolo only need to focus on pitching and defensive responsibilities. Kind of like you said, I think that they're both going to be fun to watch.

If they had this bullpen with last year's squad, they would have threatened to make the World Series.

I understand having the "non-closer" staff and kind of like the "whoever is due" as your closer but one thing that I wish Bell would do more of is two innings per outing with his bullpen once the season gets into motion after the shortened spring training. It was nice to see Cessa and Santillan get more than an inning. I feel that as the season wears along he wears down his bullpen with so many changes and making so many guys warm up or pitch. That's one of the reasons that I've always said that of all of the MLB teams, Bell's Reds are the least prepared for extra innings because he almost always uses everybody before 9 innings are up. 
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 08:56 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: As much as I'm anti-DH, I do love the fact that Greene and Lodolo only need to focus on pitching and defensive responsibilities. Kind of like you said, I think that they're both going to be fun to watch.

If they had this bullpen with last year's squad, they would have threatened to make the World Series.

I understand having the "non-closer" staff and kind of like the "whoever is due" as your closer but one thing that I wish Bell would do more of is two innings per outing with his bullpen once the season gets into motion after the shortened spring training. It was nice to see Cessa and Santillan get more than an inning. I feel that as the season wears along he wears down his bullpen with so many changes and making so many guys warm up or pitch. That's one of the reasons that I've always said that of all of the MLB teams, Bell's Reds are the least prepared for extra innings because he almost always uses everybody before 9 innings are up. 

That's one of the things I've often wondered if they don't, at times, lose sight of ? Guy only has 240 live game pitches so he's still fresh. Yeah but, he has 17,000 warm up pitches.
Reply/Quote
MLB average is 5 singles per team per game. Reds sit currently at 5.25

Side note, former Red Michael Lorenzen is the 5th starter for the Angels and pitches today vs the Marlins. It was so weird seeing Sonny Gray pitching for the Twins, Jesse Winker batting for the Mariners and Tucker Barnhart playing for the Tigers. Don't really give a **** about Castellanos.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
The Cleveland Guardians SWEPT the Reds Home Opening Series. Reds now 2-4 on season and flying to LA to play The Dodgers.

I don't like Guardians as a name. They have the Dog Pound. I like Cleveland Guard Dogs. To me, they are the Guard Dogs, that's easier. Just as Tampa Bay Stingrays was too long and became The Rays. Just as Cincinnati Red Legs became The Reds. So to me and maybe me alone, they are now The Guard Dogs, which ties in with the Browns in NFL.

That rookie pitcher for Reds today. Lodolo. I hope they take the game delayed by rain into account. How many times did that rookie have to warm up to throw his first pitch ? Was he ready to go before the rain delay ? Rain delay is hard enough on veterans, let alone a rookie pitching his first game. He was good this Spring, so hopefully his next start he gets to warm up and no rain delay nonsense.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, the Reds are heading in the wrong direction already. Hope we catch fire soon. The Dodgers West Coast series are usually killers. Hope we can win at least one game there.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
And the bullpen still sucks.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote