Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS APRIL GAMES THREAD
I just hope it’s nothing serious with India. I didn’t expect them to compete with the Dodgers anyway. A 2-8 start looks pretty likely at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think we're in for a looooong season, boys.
Reply/Quote
Singles per game - MLB average is 5 - o in front of 2nd number is for opponent
9 - o3 W - "we're focusing on being line drive hitters" was the theme told to Jim Day and company
5 - o6 L
3 - o4 L
4 - o4 W - end of Braves series
---last update --- 5.25 per game
2 - o4 L
3 - o7 L - end of Guardians series
3 - o12 L - LA's only 2 extra base hits came in the 8th. Freeman's lead off double and the 3 run HR off of Santillan
4 - o4 L
Reds current average is 4.125 - 3.49 per game with omitting game 1 - 14 singles first 2 games, 19 in the next 6
Opponents average 5.5 - 4.57 per game with omitting the 12 in game 7

When they hit the equal number of singles or greater than the opponent the Reds are 2-1
When the opponents hit the equal number of singles or greater than the Reds, the opponents are 6-1
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 09:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think we're in for a looooong season, boys.

Very long I'm afraid.
Reply/Quote
I knew the West Coast would be difficult. It always is. We may have dug a hole too big. We need the injured players back ASAP.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Guys, I'm going to tell you something that may get me in trouble.

Last summer, I went to the crossroads of Vine and 3rd with a few beers in me after a Reds game. I made a deal with some shady looking bastard who asked what I'd give for the Bengals to become dominant for a long period of time. I told him anything other than sacrificing the wife, kid or my mom. He then brought up the Reds.

Deal was, the Reds switch places and become what the Pirates are indefinitely. Shitty, money grubbing owners rubbing greed in the fans faces and laughing about it. Endless strings of 50-60 win seasons. Selling off MLB talent for magic beans. Zero hope for sustainable winning. The Pirates still suck, but the Reds suck worse.

Here's my return: The Bengals never finish behind the Steelers in the North. They never get swept in the divisional matchups, and the Steelers wander in darkness for at minimum 3 decades. The Bengals go to a Super Bowl in 2021. They get the greatest qb/wr duo in NFL history for the duration of their careers. Ja'marr Chase breaks every single NFL receiving record. Joe Burrow wins at least 7 titles, retires at 47, and is immediately installed at governor of Ohio. He then wins the presidency in an electoral college sweep (minus Pennsylvania) and serves 5 terms along with VP Ja'marr Chase when the people demand that the Constitution be amended to allow the greatness to continue. Chase succeeds him and serves 3 consecutive terms. Mike Brown goes from boogey man to city savior and is mourned for 7 days at his passing.
The Bengals save not only the city of Cincinnati, but the world via Burrow's unimpeachably brilliant policies and strategic genius. The sun shines on Cincinnati as the new unofficial birthplace of the modern era of American greatness.

Just wait guys, it's all taking shape. All it cost us was the Reds. The Reds weren't winning much before this deal, so the sacrifice wasn't great.

Sorry, not sorry.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 10:38 AM)samhain Wrote: Guys, I'm going to tell you something that may get me in trouble.

Last summer, I went to the crossroads of Vine and 3rd with a few beers in me after a Reds game.  I made a deal with some shady looking bastard who asked what I'd give for the Bengals to become dominant for a long period of time.  I told him anything other than with wife, kid or my mom.  He then brought up the Reds.  

Deal was, the Reds switch places and become what the Pirates are indefinitely.  Shitty, money grubbing owners rubbing greed in the fans faces and laughing about it.  Endless strings of 50-60 win seasons.  Selling off MLB talent for magic beans.  Zero hope for sustainable winning.  The Pirates still suck, but the Reds suck worse.

Here's my return: The Bengals never finish behind the Steelers in the North.  They never get swept in the divisional matchups, and the Steelers wander in darkness for at minimum 3 decades.  The Bengals go to a Super Bowl in 2021.  They get the greatest qb/wr duo in NFL history for the duration of their careers.  Ja'marr Chase breaks every single NFL receiving record.  Joe Burrow wins at least 7 titles, retires at 47, and is immediately installed at governor of Ohio.  He then wins the presidency in an electoral college sweep (minus Pennsylvania) and serves 5 terms along with VP Ja'marr Chase when the people demand that the Constitution be amended to allow the greatness to continue.  Chase succeeds him and serves 3 consecutive terms.  Mike Brown goes from boogey man to city savior and is mourned for 7 days at his passing.  
The Bengals save not only the city of Cincinnati, but the world via Burrow's unimpeachably brilliant policies and strategic genius.  The sun shines on Cincinnati as the new unofficial birthplace of the modern era of American greatness.  

Just wait guys, it's all taking shape.  All it cost us was the Reds.  The Reds weren't winning much before this deal, so the sacrifice wasn't great.  

Sorry, not sorry.

The Reds have been thru like 8 three year rebuilds in a row now and have gotten exactly nowhere with it besides a couple early exits from the postseason.

I appreciate the effort but I'm not sure you really hurt anything ?
Reply/Quote
Reds as a team are hitting .180. Amazingly that is not the worst in MLB. The Diamondbacks are only hitting .152. The Reds Slugging Percentage of .285 is also saved from last place by the Diamondbacks .264. But since the Reds dead last in On Base Percentage (.254) 30 points lower than the Diamondbacks our OPS (.539) is dead last.

Our team ERA is next to last (thanks Rangers) as is our WHIP (Nationals).

And just for good measure the "Defensive Efficiency" rating at Sportsreference.com has the Reds ranked 27th.

So our only problems are hitting for average, hitting for power, drawing walks, pitching, and fielding. Other than that we have a pretty decent team.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 08:56 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If they had this bullpen with last year's squad, they would have threatened to make the World Series.

I would like to say that I've been heavily medicated lately and would like to strike this comment from the record.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 07:37 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I would like to say that I've been heavily medicated lately and would like to strike this comment from the record.

We figured you were a little to deep in the bottle.
Reply/Quote
[Image: theyre-shitty-ground-keepers.gif]

Reply/Quote
Last night was so bad. Our lineup is embarrassing. It's a team of mostly never will-be ball players.

Farmer, Drury, Pham, Lopez, Moran, Aquino, and Fraley is a AAA squad.

Stephenson is at least a young, talented ball player. Votto is obviously a borderline HoFer, but for '22 he's already abandoned his much hyped power stroke and gone back to choking up after a 10-game stretch of not hitting the ball. I don't see how he'll have a good season because the opposition has no reason to pitch to him.

It was bad when the Cowboy announces, "Lodolo cannot hang him a low and inside curveball or he'll crush it." Boom! Lodolo throws the pitch and Machado hits a 2-run HR.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 10:10 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Last night was so bad. Our lineup is embarrassing. It's a team of mostly never will-be ball players.

Farmer, Drury, Pham, Lopez, Moran, Aquino, and Fraley is a AAA squad.

Stephenson is at least a young, talented ball player. Votto is obviously a borderline HoFer, but for '22 he's already abandoned his much hyped power stroke and gone back to choking up after a 10-game stretch of not hitting the ball. I don't see how he'll have a good season because the opposition has no reason to pitch to him.

It was bad when the Cowboy announces, "Lodolo cannot hang him a low and inside curveball or he'll crush it." Boom! Lodolo throws the pitch and Machado hits a 2-run HR.

We have 5 regular starters batting .133 or worse ! Pham, Fraley and Aquino among them. Votto after having a great season last year is back to his head case ways hitting .105 with 17 strike outs - SEVENTEEN ! Moustakas is at .129

We're at the bottom of the ML's in avg. and many other stats. It's going to be a very long season
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 11:02 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We have 5 regular starters batting .133 or worse ! Pham, Fraley and Aquino among them. Votto after having a great season last year is back to his head case ways hitting .105 with 17 strike outs - SEVENTEEN ! Moustakas is at .129

We're at the bottom of the ML's in avg. and many other stats. It's going to be a very long season

Wasn't Moran a backup 1B for the Pirates? Now he's our starting 3B.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Honestly all I’m really interested in at this point is India and Greene. Couldn’t care less about anything else with this team.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 11:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Honestly all I’m really interested in at this point is India and Greene. Couldn’t care less about anything else with this team.

Pretty much.

1. India as our hope for future success.
2. Greene/Lodolo learning how to pitch.
3. Votto's numbers being good to increase his HoF chances.
4. Castillo, I still like watching him pitch.

I expect a last place finish.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 11:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Honestly all I’m really interested in at this point is India and Greene. Couldn’t care less about anything else with this team.

Yep, I'll throw in Lodolo and perhaps any rookies they bring up.
Reply/Quote
I said early on not to expect much early with Reds starting at World Series Atlanta, at LA Dodgers and at San Diego. The good thing is the Reds are getting these road games off the schedule. I'm also glad Reds are not in Cincinnati in this snow and freezing lousy Ohio April weather.

So I've been looking ahead to The Reds in Cincinnati in their first Division Series of the year. The weatherman calls for 80 degrees in Cincy this weekend. The Cardinals, which is like Reds Steelers team.

Lodolo looks to me like Tom Browning when he first came up. Both lefty's with some off speed stuff, but a decent heater for a lefty. Hunter Greene looks like what Chapman could have been if Dusty hadn't moved him from starter to reliever. With his change-up, he is like Mario Soto. With his slider he is like Steve Carlton. To pitch deeper into games, he will have to learn NOT to throw the ball 100 mph every pitch. Like Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, mix the heater in with other pitches. Greene really has a Steve Carlton slider that has more curve than most curve balls, plus a Mario Soto type change-up.

I'm very excited about these two Reds #1 Pick Pitchers and the Reds #1 Pick Catcher in Stephenson. I want to see both of them against The Cardinals this weekend with Mahle in the middle on Saturday. Hit the Cardinals with Greene, Mahle, Lodolo, and I like Reds odds of winning the Cardinals series to start Division play this season.

Again, Lodolo looks like a rookie Tom Browning, and Greene looks like a rookie combo of Soto and Carlton. Now all those pitchers had to get their rookie learning in on the field to develop. Bengals would say Joe Burrow had to get his reps in. It is time for #1 Picks Greene, Lodolo and Stephenson to take the field and take the good and bad of learning to play every day at The Top Level, but The Talent Is There. Stephenson could be Reds best young hitting catcher since Bench, and catching a young Browning in Lodolo and catching a young combo of Soto and Carlton in Greene.

The Reds do need to score them some runs. I am hoping Reds can beat St Louis this weekend as Reds play their first Division Series. I did not expect much playing at Atlanta and LA Dodgers. I said before season that THE KEY SERIES in April is when Reds finally come home and play St Louis Cardinals. I want to see Greene, Mahle and Lodolo on the mound in that series. Maybe we get Castillo back at some point to go with them and make a decent rotation.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2022, 08:23 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Singles per game - MLB average is 5 - o in front of 2nd number is for opponent
9 - o3 W - "we're focusing on being line drive hitters" was the theme told to Jim Day and company
5 - o6 L
3 - o4 L
4 - o4 W - end of Braves series
---last update --- 5.25 per game
2 - o4 L
3 - o7 L - end of Guardians series
3 - o12 L - LA's only 2 extra base hits came in the 8th. Freeman's lead off double and the 3 run HR off of Santillan
4 - o4 L
Reds current average is 4.125 - 3.49 per game with omitting game 1 - 14 singles first 2 games, 19 in the next 6
Opponents average 5.5 - 4.57 per game with omitting the 12 in game 7

When they hit the equal number of singles or greater than the opponent the Reds are 2-1
When the opponents hit the equal number of singles or greater than the Reds, the opponents are 6-1
4 - o7 L
2 - o6 L - end of Dodgers series
4 - o5 L
Reds now sitting at 3.91 singles per game, 43 singles after 11 games
Reds opponents  average 5.64, 62 singles after 11 games

When the opponents hit the equal number of singles or greater than the Reds, the opponents are 9-1
(04-18-2022, 07:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We figured you were a little to deep in the bottle.
LOL, actually I fell and landed on my left elbow and jammed my arm into my shoulder. The problem is, it's an old injury that was recently re-aggravated, swollen and tender before I fell. It was pulsing pain before I fell and now it's almost impossible to sleep without pain meds.

Add in the fact that I inherited a house that is two or three boxes shy of being eligible for an episode of Hoarders. I had already gone through just about everything and was set for a bunch of box moving, donating and prepping for an estate sale when I fell so now I'm a full month and a half behind schedule while being in pain and irritated all to Hell.

The Reds play, or lack there of, is not helping ease the pain.

Now please be careful while you kindly get off the snow/ice patch still sitting on top of my lawn mainly because I don't want to get sued if you slip and fall!  Wink
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Good God.

The Reds don't hold a lead for 6 straight games, Pham hits a 1st inning homer, Lodolo gives up a two run homer before recording an out.

The next game, Pham hits a 1st inning homer and Sanmartin gives up a two run homer before recording an out.

Great.

Now Stephenson is injured and Jenius Bell had our back up C as DH so now the pitcher is batting 5th and leads off in the 2nd inning. Then wastes the challenge on an 'illegal slide'.

I DETEST watching this man attempt to play the role of a manager on TV.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote