Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS MAY GAME THREAD
(05-03-2022, 07:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Crazy ain't it ? And the thing that gets me is he's done this for like 3 or 4 times in his last 5 seasons. Started off the first month and a half or so hitting like my Grandma that is.

You would think a hitter of his caliber even in a bad slump would still hit .225 or something.

A couple of years ago in Spring Training, he was practicing fouling off pitches. He wasn't trying to get a hit or put the ball in play, he was practicing "staying alive". I was thinking . . . "You've have problems early in the season on a regular basis lately and you're out here trying to NOT get a hit". He's always been a head case.

Side note - watching the Angels @ Red Sox replay
Pitches thrown for the first two innings
Wacha 
Syndergaard
A total of 25 pitches thrown by both pitchers for the first two innings. I'm not sure that I've ever seen that before.

Jack Mayfield has never played Left Field in his life, started tonight in LF in Fenway of all places, 2nd pitch was a line drive right at him, which is always very hard to read. Got a good laugh out of Trout and company.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 01:24 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: A couple of years ago in Spring Training, he was practicing fouling off pitches. He wasn't trying to get a hit or put the ball in play, he was practicing "staying alive". I was thinking . . . "You've have problems early in the season on a regular basis lately and you're out here trying to NOT get a hit". He's always been a head case.

Side note - watching the Angels @ Red Sox replay
Pitches thrown for the first two innings
Wacha 
Syndergaard
A total of 25 pitches thrown by both pitchers for the first two innings. I'm not sure that I've ever seen that before.

Jack Mayfield has never played Left Field in his life, started tonight in LF in Fenway of all places, 2nd pitch was a line drive right at him, which is always very hard to read. Got a good laugh out of Trout and company.

Yep

Remember that dumbass half swing uppercut he used to do between pitches ? I never could figure out what the benefit of that was supposed to be ? Teach yourself how not to swing a baseball bat ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Say what you will about me but I’m rooting for the worst season in baseball history. The more embarrassing it is for Bob and Phil the happier I will be. And the team has not disappointed me yet lol
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 04:40 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Say what you will about me but I’m rooting for the worst season in baseball history. The more embarrassing it is for Bob and Phil the happier I will be. And the team has not disappointed me yet lol

I'm right there with you. I hope they set the modern ML record for fewest wins. I'd love to see the stadium totally empty.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 04:40 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Say what you will about me but I’m rooting for the worst season in baseball history. The more embarrassing it is for Bob and Phil the happier I will be. And the team has not disappointed me yet lol

It that's how you find your 'zen' to get through this, then good for you. I haven't found mine yet, but I'm still looking! Fingers crossed!
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 04:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm right there with you. I hope they set the modern ML record for fewest wins. I'd love to see the stadium totally empty.

Watching the responses on their Instagram feed has been interesting.  Going from 17,000+ likes on opening day to about 7,000 the past few days, and every comment being a "sell the team, Bob" remark.  They're losing fans and interest in droves.  The embarrassment is ridiculous.  And unnecessary.  You'd think what might make a difference and force a change is a historically bad record, empty seats, and loss of fan engagement.  So far, they're on track for the trifecta. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 04:57 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Watching the responses on their Instagram feed has been interesting.  Going from 17,000+ likes on opening day to about 7,000 the past few days, and every comment being a "sell the team, Bob" remark.  They're losing fans and interest in droves.  The embarrassment is ridiculous.  And unnecessary.  You'd think what might make a difference and force a change is a historically bad record, empty seats, and loss of fan engagement.  So far, they're on track for the trifecta. 

That's my hope, they are basically forced to sell. New ownership that really cares about winning is the only hope we have left.
Reply/Quote
The Reds are warming up for another game against the Brewers. Look for another loss tonight as the Reds pitching is bad. I hope it gets ugly early so I can watch something else like hockey.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 11:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 3-20

Where you gonna go?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 08:36 PM)jason Wrote: Where you gonna go?

Anywhere but a Reds game lol
Reply/Quote
90s Bengals football was more fun to watch than this current Reds team.
Reply/Quote
Reds only gave up 18 tonight, they kept it under 20.
Reply/Quote
You know it's bad when the Reds announcers spend most of the game talking about the opposing team and how good they are. Tonights drubbing was horrible. We don't even look like an MLB team.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 12:27 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Reds only gave up 18 tonight, they kept it under 20.

LOL!!

Years ago, when Corey Sawyer returned a Scott Mitchell pass for a TD and an OT victory in Detroit(Artrell Hawkins rookie year), I got onto a national radio show. Somewhere in there, I said "Fortunately, we held Barry Sanders to 185 yards rushing, so that helped. I was afraid he was going to go off!" It wound up being on one of their show liners for about a year and a half.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 08:36 PM)jason Wrote: Where you gonna go?

They're going nowhere.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 12:27 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Reds only gave up 18 tonight, they kept it under 20.

Two touchdowns and a 2 safeties haha it's pitiful !
Reply/Quote
3-21 and still falling. The Pirates come to town and we still will probably lose.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 09:10 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: 3-21 and still falling. The Pirates come to town and we still will probably lose.

Not that it really matters but they're 3-22.

If this team wins 60 games they'll be flying.
Reply/Quote
Haven't been much of a Reds fan since Larkin retired but good lord this team is awful this year.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
#1. Reds have most players on IL that I've ever seen Reds have at one time.

#2. Overton pithed well last game and pitches Friday against Pirates. Lodolo is back from IL and pitches Saturday.

#3. Castillo is suppose to be back from IL and pitch maybe in about 5 to 7 days for Reds.

#4 With players coming off IL, someone needs to go to the Minors, and that someone is Hunter Greene. I don't give a flying duck how many strikeouts he gets, or how fast he can throw, he is getting hit way too much and giving up way to many runs and home runs. At age 22, he ain't ready for The Bigs yet. Reds rushed him up too fast.

#5. The day will come Hunter Greene will be a great pitcher, but that day hasn't happened yet. The 22 year old needs more time in the minors.

#6. Sending Greene down, he may not like it, but it's the best thing for him. It also sends a message to the other Reds. A message that needs sent. GET WITH IT, START WINNING GAMES, or BE GONE.

#7. I looked at Reds available players yesterday. I was amazed only 2 healthy outfielders. I would stick Farmer in Right Field then. Moran at 1st, Moose at 3rd. The best they have healthy on defense at 2nd and SS. I think Stephenson is off IL and able to catch again. It's hard to make a line-up with so many on IL.

#8. Even with all on IL, they aren't doing much when healthy. The batting averages are all around .100 which is awful. The pitchers are serving up batting practice. There are more pitchers than Greene who need to go back to The Minors.

#9. I know it's a reach, but I see Tanner Roark is still without a team after the lockout. If Reds could get the old veteran cheap, it would let more young Reds go back to the Minors to hopefully go back to school and come back later.

#10. I'm not for firing Bell yet. The Reds owner dumped payroll, and I understand why they had to after no fans covid 2020. The Reds built a good team and spent money, and the owner lost his butt on no fans covid 2020. So i get the need to dump payroll.

#11. However Bell has been having hitters batting around .100 way too much. Is it the hitting coach ? The last 3 years or so, the Reds batting averages are just awful.

#12. So hopefully Overton can keep Reds in game to get a much need WIN and end the losing streak Friday. Then if Lodolo can return and pitch a win Saturday. Then Castillo back next week.

The Reds are at Rock Bottom, but it's time to tow the car out of the ditch. I am not crazy enough to be talking play-offs. I'm talking ending the losing streak, getting some players back, and not losing 150 games. Even this team should not lose close to all of the 162 games. Even this team should get on some winning streaks enough to win 60 games or more. They would have to get real hot to win 81 games. Forget about that for now. One day at a time. Overton pitched well his last game. A Win by Overton Friday against Pirates would help. 100 % chance of rain, so game might get rained out. If it does, a win on Saturday.

If I was GM, and I'm not, I would have a list of players to send back to Minors as players come off the IL. Top of the list is HUNTER GREENE. Reds are ruining best prospect they have by having him get his brains beat in at age 22. Let him go to Minors and put up wins in The Minors and regain some confidence. He's young, too young, and needs a ticket to the Louisville Bats. I would be ready to send more Reds pitchers back to Louisville, because most of them need to go back to The Minors for a while. Maybe as many as 5 Reds pitchers need to go back to the Minors. The hitters aren't much better.

As GM, end the losing streak. I don't care how. I might even knock off all the Shifts, and make the game simpler. Go back to The Basics. END THE LOSING STREAK.

If I was GM, and I'm not, I would remind Owner that he needed to dump payroll. That might get me as GM fired. On my GM list of people to replace Bell, is Barry Larkin who thought he was getting Reds Manager job. I would have no problem turning this team over to HALL OF FAME Barry Larkin. Provided Barry Larkin knows Reds Owner isn't putting out cash for players, so nobody is expecting Larkin to make play-offs, just do the best Larkin can and get some wins out of this team. Bell probably isn't going anywhere with Reds so much into the Gus Bell and Buddy Bell Front Office Thing. I would love to bring in Johnny Bench to manage, but he wouldn't do it. He does know pitching and hitting. If Bell needs fired, Barry Larkin has his resume in, and I can think of many reasons to make Barry the Manager. I'll play the race card. The last black manager was Dusty, and Reds did OK under him. However Barry Larkin would be no Token move, The Hall of Famer knows his Baseball. He was also in Washington Nationals Front Office. Hopefully Reds don't hold that against him, it is a positive, not a negative. I've also heard Larking speaking very good Spanish on TV Broadcasts. That would be a plus with Reds having so many Latin Ball Players. I would give the Reds Hall Of Famer a chance to manage. Might be smartest move I could make as Reds GM, which I'm not.

There is no way to talk about Reds losing and the road ahead in 50 words or less. I know the new generation is into very short one sentence Sound Bites. The Reds have way too many problems to be looked at in a one sentence Sound Bite. However the Reds do need to END THE LOSING STREAK. If Overton can do it, or Lodolo, but Reds need to END THE LOSING STREAK. They can't turn anything around until they actually win a game. Even the worst team ever can win one ball game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote