Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ragnow in for a visit
Looks like he could be in play with our 2nd pick.

Reply/Quote
I had believed fur the longest time that one of the big 3 centers would be there at 46. I’m less sure of that stance and tired of our offense and defense employing the donut principle.

Ragnow’s game against DaRon Payne was impressive. Every mock I’ve done has me feeling better when I’ve gone center in 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we go Center in the 2nd, and that would make me happy.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 12:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Looks like he could be in play with our 2nd pick.

If it's me, I have him start house shopping cuz for better or for worse, I'm taking him at 21.  Don't get cute, FO.  Put this guy in stripes.  Give Frank to Frank.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 01:13 PM)McC Wrote: If it's me, I have him start house shopping cuz for better or for worse, I'm taking him at 21.  Don't get cute, FO.  Put this guy in stripes.  Give Frank to Frank.

^this^  times 2. For those who might think he's a reach, or that he will be there at 46 - I do not care. I want this guy on our team, and I want him at 21. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 12:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Looks like he could be in play with our 2nd pick.

Don't put it out of the question to see Ragnow at 21 either.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 01:13 PM)McC Wrote: If it's me, I have him start house shopping cuz for better or for worse, I'm taking him at 21.  Don't get cute, FO.  Put this guy in stripes.  Give Frank to Frank.

[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd take him in the 2nd for sure.

Taking him in the 1st round would feel very similar to when we took Ogbuehi in the 1st in 2015. An injured player who people said was a future starter but still didn't get all that much 1st round buzz.

The general reaction was "Well, I mean, they got a good player but...why in the first round? There were reports of him sneaking into the first round maybe, but not at 21. This feels like a reach for need."

Most mock drafts had him going as high as 25 but generally around 34, or 38, or as low as 59 or even 63.

With injured players, there's never really an exact science as to where teams stop worrying about injuries and focus mostly on the talent. With Ogbuehi, it looks like Early 2nd round pick was the consensus where it was worth taking a high upside injured player.

Now, of course, Ogbuehi turned out to not be a good player, so it was all a wash but if Ogbuehi had worked out and been a good player, I don't think the Bengals would have regretted taking him ~15 picks earlier than most mock drafts projected him.

I feel Ragnow falls into that same category.

Is it a reach to take him at 21? By mock draft standards? Definitely. But if he is our starting Center who works well with the team and is not a liability, will we regret the choice 2 to 3 years from now? I don't think so.

For that reason, I'd love to get him in the 2nd round. But if our new Oline coach loves the player and wants him on the team, I wouldn't be upset if we chose him in the first round.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd take him in the 2nd for sure.

Taking him in the 1st round would feel very similar to when we took Ogbuehi in the 1st in 2015. An injured player who people said was a future starter but still didn't get all that much 1st round buzz.

The general reaction was "Well, I mean, they got a good player but...why in the first round? There were reports of him sneaking into the first round maybe, but not at 21. This feels like a reach for need."

Most mock drafts had him going as high as 25 but generally around 34, or 38, or as low as 59 or even 63.

With injured players, there's never really an exact science as to where teams stop worrying about injuries and focus mostly on the talent. With Ogbuehi, it looks like Early 2nd round pick was the consensus where it was worth taking a high upside injured player.

Now, of course, Ogbuehi turned out to not be a good player, so it was all a wash but if Ogbuehi had worked out and been a good player, I don't think the Bengals would have regretted taking him ~15 picks earlier than most mock drafts projected him.

Is it a reach to take him at 21? By mock draft standards? Definitely. But if he is our starting Center who works well with the team and is not a liability, will we regret the choice 2 to 3 years from now? I don't think so.

For that reason, I'd love to get him in the 2nd round. But if our new Oline coach loves the player and wants him on the team, I wouldn't be upset if we chose him in the first round.

Ragnow isn't injured anymore. He was able to fully participate in his Pro Day.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ragnow isn't injured anymore. He was able to fully participate in his Pro Day.

That just increases the curiosity of why he's not considered a first round prospect then.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That just increases the curiosity of why he's not considered a first round prospect then.

Except he is creeping up to that level now that he's healthy. I put Ragnow ahead of Price. I put him ahead of Daniels too when it comes to fit with the Bengals, but I can see a team that caters better to Daniels' skill set choose him over Ragnow.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That just increases the curiosity of why he's not considered a first round prospect then.

Because while we have heard about Centers all being 1st rounders, they historically are 2nd rounders most the time even the best ones. Three Centers in the last ten years have been 1st rounders and there have been plenty of good ones during that time that didn't go in the 1st.

As a side note, I could see us trading to the back of the 1st and grabbing a Center to get the 5th year option and grabbing more ammo to maybe get another 2nd round pick. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd take him in the 2nd for sure.

Huge, Huge difference.  Ogbuehi never played at an elite level at Texas A&M - especially when he played tackle.  Ragnow has been one of the best, if not the best, performing centers in the draft.

If the Bengals wait unit 46, they will be picking the 4th ranked C in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: Because while we have heard about Centers all being 1st rounders, they historically are 2nd rounders most the time even the best ones. Three Centers in the last ten years have been 1st rounders and there have been plenty of good ones during that time that didn't go in the 1st.

As a side note, I could see us trading to the back of the 1st and grabbing a Center to get the 5th year option and grabbing more ammo to maybe get another 2nd round pick. 

And it should be noticed that the Panthers are checking out Ragnow and they pick 24.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: Because while we have heard about Centers all being 1st rounders, they historically are 2nd rounders most the time even the best ones. Three Centers in the last ten years have been 1st rounders and there have been plenty of good ones during that time that didn't go in the 1st.

True, but for the most part, any center that has carried a "first round" grade has been taken in round 1.  This year there are 2 that have been considered first rounders for most of the draft process.  Ragnow is quickly being moved into the late round 1 mix.

This year is an anomaly - just like last year was an anomaly for WRs.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: True, but for the most part, any center that has carried a "first round" grade has been taken in round 1.  This year there are 2 that have been considered first rounders for most of the draft process.  Ragnow is quickly being moved into the late round 1 mix.

This year is an anomaly - just like last year was an anomaly for WRs.

I don't see it. Who's grades? Random analysts? Ragnow is projected by NFL.com as a 2/3 Price is a 2nd and Daniels is 1/2, projections from various sites are all over the place. Billings was a sure fire 1st rounder by every analyst and we know how that went. Teams in general don't value Centers that high for some weird reason. It is more so the talent of other positions that push them down rather than their lack of talent. I think one Center goes in the late 1st with two in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
Unless they trade back, They should not take a center round 1. One of the top 3 will be there at 46.

Mark. It. Down.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 02:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And it should be noticed that the Panthers are checking out Ragnow and they pick 24.

A lot of teams check out guys, but it doesn't mean what we think all the time. That could be for a trade back, or a trade up in the 2nd. It is a really fluid thing the draft, never know where a guy may be available. A lot of people thought Kamara last year could be a late 1st or early 2nd and there he was in the 3rd for the Saints. 
Reply/Quote
Gimme Leighton in 1 and Ragnow in 2
Reply/Quote
I hope we get Ragnow or Price, don’t care which, and don’t care if it’s round 1 or 2. Hopefully the bengals have a better idea of where these guys will actually go than us, so if they take either in one I won’t complain one bit. I’d rather be safe and get our guy at a position of need then go into the season with a huge hole at one of our weakest spots
Reply/Quote