Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Raiders’ Confidence on Saturday
I think it's disingenuous to call the Raiders "The hottest team in football." Is it technically true if you consider "being hot" just winning streak? I suppose. But I think that's only part of the definition of "hot."

When I think of a team that is hot or on fire, I imagine a team that is scorching their opponents. Dominating victories. Defying steep odds in mistake free fashion etc.

And that isn't the Raiders. They've tripped and stumbled their way through these last 4 games. The first of those 4 games was against the Browns and, remember, they had like 25 guys out with COVID. They played the Browns practice squad and BARELY won. Had to kick a field goal as time expired to score 16 points on a practice squad.

Carr threw 5 TDs and 4 INTS in that 4 game win streak.
In 2 of those 4 games, Jacobs had under 4.0 yards per carry.
Hunter Renfrow hasn't gone over 100 yards in any of these 4 games. In two of the games, he only had 3 receptions and was a complete non-factor against LAC (5 catches for 13 yards).

Their defense has only had 6 sacks in those 4 games (while their Oline gave up 9 sacks) and just 1 interception and only recovered 1 fumble (Both against the Chargers). They also lost 3 fumbles in these 4 games, so they were -5 in the takeaway differential in these 4 games.

Now, don't get me wrong. I respect the Raiders for making it this far and winning those 4 games despite making as many mistakes as they did was impressive. Any given Sunday (or Saturday) definitely applies here. But I don't get this narrative that this team is "the hottest team in the NFL."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:50 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am in no way already counting on a win on Saturday.

I think this game is going to be VERY close and I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if we end up losing. The Raiders are a tough matchup for us. Their DL could literally wreck the game. If we cant run the ball it's going to be tough sledding for this offense.

I agree 100%, I think it’s going to be close and another ugly gritty win. A lot of people seem to think it’ll be a cakewalk but honestly I’d say we have a better shot at blowing out KC than we do at blowing out LV. Feels like a lot of people here expect and easy 3 score win. Watch the first games against those teams. We DOMINATED KC for the entire 2nd half once we figured them out. We never dominated the Raiders that way except maybe the last 5 minutes and I put most of that on them getting desperate trying to tie it up late.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 09:55 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: This place is going to explode when the game is closer than a lot of people here think after one or two quarters. I predict no less than 10 posters calling for Zac to be fired before halftime. God help us all if the Bengals trail at ALL on Saturday lol

I don't typically get on here when games are on.
So I'll be complaining and/or cheering offline lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Raiders are playing with house money. And any team like that should not be taken for granted.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:01 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think it's disingenuous to call the Raiders "The hottest team in football." Is it technically true if you consider "being hot" just winning streak? I suppose. But I think that's only part of the definition of "hot."

When I think of a team that is hot or on fire, I imagine a team that is scorching their opponents. Dominating victories. Defying steep odds in mistake free fashion etc.

And that isn't the Raiders. They've tripped and stumbled their way through these last 4 games. The first of those 4 games was against the Browns and, remember, they had like 25 guys out with COVID. They played the Browns practice squad and BARELY won. Had to kick a field goal as time expired to score 16 points on a practice squad.

Hunter Renfrow hasn't gone over 100 yards in any of these 4 games. In two of the games, he only had 3 receptions and was a complete non-factor against LAC (5 catches for 13 yards).

Their defense has only had 6 sacks in those 4 games and just 1 interception and only recovered 1 fumble.

I respect the Raiders for making it this far and any given Sunday (Saturday) definitely applies here. But I don't get this narrative that this team is "the hottest team in the NFL."

But, but, but Burrow and Chase also tripped and stumbled their ways to all those TD's, yards and no interceptions too.. I mean, it coulda been 1500 yards in two games and 15 TD's. Any old super human feats could've beaten that!  ThumbsUp
Sometime during the game we'll probably hear, "LOOK! Up in the sky! It's a plane, it's a bird! No, it's just another humdrum ordinary 90 yard TD pass from Burrow to Chase.. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.. Yawn
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: I forgot about that game, but that was a big OT win/comeback (can't remember how much we were down, but that was a good game).

We reeled off 17 unanswered in the 4th and Nugent doinked the game winner in off the upright. I was watching from that end zone. It was a great game. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:02 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I agree 100%, I think it’s going to be close and another ugly gritty win. A lot of people seem to think it’ll be a cakewalk but honestly I’d say we have a better shot at blowing out KC than we do at blowing out LV. Feels like a lot of people here expect and easy 3 score win. Watch the first games against those teams. We DOMINATED KC for the entire 2nd half once we figured them out. We never dominated the Raiders that way except maybe the last 5 minutes and I put most of that on them getting desperate trying to tie it up late.

I don't know that anyone thinks this is going to be a cakewalk. I am on record as preferring to play NE, because of the Raiders D-line. I believe we can beat them, but it's not going to be easy. The best thing we have going for us is Joe has already played them.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:04 AM)jj22 Wrote: The Raiders are playing with house money. And any team like that should not be taken for granted.

Yup, I think it will be a little closer than some think. That said, I think we're in that same boat with the house money. I know people have moved the goalposts after we started winning (why, is beyond me, but I have a theory), but I look at the whole picture. Not very many pegged us for division champs at the onset of the season. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know that anyone thinks this is going to be a cakewalk. I am on record as preferring to play NE, because of the Raiders D-line. I believe we can beat them, but it's not going to be easy. The best thing we have going for us is Joe has already played them.

I also voted NE in the other thread. Mac Jones had a good rookie year, but he's still a rookie QB and I'd rather take my chances against him making a mistake or not being able to make the big play when NE needs it. Crosby scares me this Saturday.
Reply/Quote
You just wait n see.. After the game the league will change the rules to make it so the Bengals will have to spot the opposition 30 points to start any game just to make it seem fair..  It'll be known as the Ravens/Raiders rule. And Pittsburgh will still bich about it because it wasn't named for them....Cool

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: You just wait n see.. After the game the league will change the rules to make it so the Bengals will have to spot the opposition 30 points to start any game just to make it seem fair..  Cool

I heard Burrow will have to play future games by only throwing the ball with his left hand.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:01 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think it's disingenuous to call the Raiders "The hottest team in football." Is it technically true if you consider "being hot" just winning streak? I suppose. But I think that's only part of the definition of "hot."

Their defense has only had 6 sacks in those 4 games (while their Oline gave up 9 sacks) and just 1 interception and only recovered 1 fumble (Both against the Chargers). They also lost 3 fumbles in these 4 games, so they were -5 in the takeaway differential in these 4 games.

Now, don't get me wrong. I respect the Raiders for making it this far and winning those 4 games despite making as many mistakes as they did was impressive. Any given Sunday (or Saturday) definitely applies here. But I don't get this narrative that this team is "the hottest team in the NFL."

Right

It's not like they just dominated in those games.
Reply/Quote
we are 6-0 in one score games this year. A close game gives me confidence. Daniel Carlson has been lights out for us this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yup, I think it will be a little closer than some think. That said, I think we're in that same boat with the house money. I know people have moved the goalposts after we started winning (why, is beyond me, but I have a theory), but I look at the whole picture. Not very many pegged us for division champs at the onset of the season. 

Because expectations evolve as time passes and you gain more evidence? 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:12 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I also voted NE in the other thread. Mac Jones had a good rookie year, but he's still a rookie QB and I'd rather take my chances against him making a mistake or not being able to make the big play when NE needs it. Crosby scares me this Saturday.

Crosby is just one guy. They have 10 more on any given play who can underperform.. You gotta think like a Raiders game day fan! 

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:16 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I heard Burrow will have to play future games by only throwing the ball with his left hand.

With a dislocated thumb on that hand..Pittsburgh will bich because it wasn't broken..

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:23 AM)grampahol Wrote: Crosby is just one guy. They have 10 more on any given play who can underperform.. You gotta think like a Raiders game day fan! 

second season, anything is possible.  Ask the 16-0 Patriots a few years ago.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know that anyone thinks this is going to be a cakewalk. I am on record as preferring to play NE, because of the Raiders D-line. I believe we can beat them, but it's not going to be easy. The best thing we have going for us is Joe has already played them.

I’ve seen more than a few 3+ score predictions and there was one thread early on (can’t remember which one, so many threads now that it’s playoff time) that had me very concerned with peoples expectations for this game. Hopefully that was all excitement talking though. I guess looking around now maybe it isn’t as bad as I first thought but there are definitely still some.

I’d love to see a blowout win for us so my heart doesn’t explode late lol I just don’t see that happening. Raiders are a good team and I don’t see them rolling over. After all they’ve been through this year I think they’ve proven they won’t go quietly.
Reply/Quote
I'm probably feeling slightly over confident, but I don't know.. It's not as if the Bengals have ever let us down in a playoff game before..  It's a strange feeling..

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: I knew you would bring up KC. The one big comeback we've had in 15 years..... So it happened once (ie the .0001%), in recent memory. That's not enough to shame fans for panicking when we are down multiple td's. Those games typically do end bad, and that isn't debatable.

They came back from the same deficit this year against Jacksonville.

They came back from the same deficit this year against San Francisco before losing in overtime.

They went from down 24-0 to down 24-22 against the Chargers before stalling out.

This team is quite obviously better off not being down by multiple touchdowns, but the Kansas City game is absolutely not the only example of a furious comeback this season.
Reply/Quote