Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Raiders’ Confidence on Saturday
(01-13-2022, 11:32 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: They came back from the same deficit this year against Jacksonville.

They came back from the same deficit this year against San Francisco before losing in overtime.

They went from down 24-0 to down 24-22 against the Chargers before stalling out.

This team is quite obviously better off not being down by multiple touchdowns, but the Kansas City game is absolutely not the only example of a furious comeback this season.

So what you're trying to get at is the Raiders should start feeling queezy when it starts getting close to halftime if they have any kind of lead?  Shocked
You'll know if the entire Raiders defense throws up right before halftime.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:20 AM)attyla Wrote: we are 6-0 in one score games this year. A close game gives me confidence. Daniel Carlson has been lights out for us this year.

I feel bad for Raiders fans. I never thought there could be any fans even remotely close to being as obnoxious as Steelers fans until we played KC this year. WOW, sorry you guys have to deal with that every year lol we know what it’s like.

And that is a good stat but the Raiders Bengals game was a one score game until the last 5 minutes when the Bengals put them away. Think the Bengals take the same approach and just try to wear you guys down and pull it out late. Seems like a good plan with LV traveling across country on a short week after playing 5 qtrs. Think you guys need to have the lead going into the 4th to win this one.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:20 AM)attyla Wrote: we are 6-0 in one score games this year.  A close game gives me confidence.  Daniel Carlson has been lights out for us this year.

I was in Vegas for the game this year. We had a group of 6 and I wore my Bengal's gear. Great stadium and great time we had with mostly Raiders fans that day.

Yes Carlson is hot, but how many kicks in 20 degree weather and windy conditions did he take.

I think Bengals are better team as long as they secure the rock. I think Carr while very good fumbles a lot and makes a lot of bad decisions each game under pressure. I think our front 4 will shut down Jacobs and then pressure Carr.

I don't do predictions, but Bengal's may be hottest team in football right now due to Burrow, Higgins, Boyd, Chase and Mixon.

I also saw a Raiders team over extend themselves on defense last week so a short week could mean no legs for them in half 2.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:37 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I feel bad for Raiders fans. I never thought there could be any fans even remotely close to being as obnoxious as Steelers fans until we played KC this year. WOW, sorry you guys have to deal with that every year lol we know what it’s like.

And that is a good stat but the Raiders Bengals game was a one score game until the last 5 minutes when the Bengals put them away. Think the Bengals take the same approach and just try to wear you guys down and pull it out late. Seems like a good plan with LV traveling across country on a short week after playing 5 qtrs. Think you guys need to have the lead going into the 4th to win this one.

...and a 29 point lead in the 4th at that! With 5 seconds to go.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:23 AM)grampahol Wrote: Crosby is just one guy. They have 10 more on any given play who can underperform.. You gotta think like a Raiders game day fan! 

Fair points plus I'm not overly impressed with the Raiders secondary. I know I'm just tunneling in on Crosby and if our OL didn't give up a lot of sacks I'd not be as worried. I still think we win.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:37 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I feel bad for Raiders fans. I never thought there could be any fans even remotely close to being as obnoxious as Steelers fans until we played KC this year. WOW, sorry you guys have to deal with that every year lol we know what it’s like.

I would add the Bengals have been one of the best second half teams in football this year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I tend to think that performance in one-score games reflects luck/chance more than anything, on the good side or the bad side. That isn't to say the Raiders haven't earned their 10 wins; clearly they have. It's just one of those indicators I believe is prone to inter-season variation, and the Bengals are a good example. The crap teams of 2019 and 2020 were probably less crap than they appeared, but lost often by narrow margins. Bad luck.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:21 AM)TheFan Wrote: Because expectations evolve as time passes and you gain more evidence? 

Maybe....but that's not the case for a select few. I guess I don't understand how someone could predict around 4-6 wins at the beginning of the season, then continue to bytch after we finish 10-7 and win the AFCN. Again, I have my theory, but that's for another thread. I predicted 6-8 wins, I'm beyond satisfied with the results. I don't really understand how some aren't. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Might have to give em the ol Mike Tyson everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth treatment.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe....but that's not the case for a select few. I guess I don't understand how someone could predict around 4-6 wins at the beginning of the season, then continue to bytch after we finish 10-7 and win the AFCN. Again, I have my theory, but that's for another thread. I predicted 6-8 wins, I'm beyond satisfied with the results. I don't really understand how some aren't. 

With how the chips fell this season sometimes you just realize your time is now and expectations rise dramatically. This is the Bengals best shot at a playoff win in a very long time... gotta seize the dey
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe....but that's not the case for a select few. I guess I don't understand how someone could predict around 4-6 wins at the beginning of the season, then continue to bytch after we finish 10-7 and win the AFCN. Again, I have my theory, but that's for another thread. I predicted 6-8 wins, I'm beyond satisfied with the results. I don't really understand how some aren't. 

It's really not that different than people who banged the drum in support for Taylor after the 2 previous years. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: I knew you would bring up KC. The one big comeback we've had in 15 years..... So it happened once (ie the .0001%), in recent memory. That's not enough to shame fans for panicking when we are down multiple td's. Those games typically do end bad, and that isn't debatable.

weren't we down several to the Jags?  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:41 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I tend to think that performance in one-score games reflects luck/chance more than anything, on the good side or the bad side. That isn't to say the Raiders haven't earned their 10 wins; clearly they have. It's just one of those indicators I believe is prone to inter-season variation, and the Bengals are a good example. The crap teams of 2019 and 2020 were probably less crap than they appeared, but lost often by narrow margins. Bad luck.

Because Bobby whatsisface at RT was arguably the greatest RT in Bengals history, but just had some bad luck? Because the Dline last year just flipped a coin, called tails and it turned up heads?  Nah..they were crap.. Injuries played a big part in things, but crap still smells like crap no matter how lucky or unlucky it is.. 

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:38 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was in Vegas for the game this year. We had a group of 6 and I wore my Bengal's gear. Great stadium and great time we had with mostly Raiders fans that day.

Yes Carlson is hot, but how many kicks in 20 degree weather and windy conditions did he take.

I think Bengals are better team as long as they secure the rock. I think Carr while very good fumbles a lot and makes a lot of bad decisions each game under pressure. I think our front 4 will shut down Jacobs and then pressure Carr.

I don't do predictions, but Bengal's may be hottest team in football right now due to Burrow, Higgins, Boyd, Chase and Mixon.

I also saw a Raiders team over extend themselves on defense last week so a short week could mean no legs for them in half 2.

some valid points but I do not see wind as a factor for the game.  As for 5 quarters and short rest, if you cannot bring your A game to this time of year after the season we just had, you do not deserve to be there.  I do not see extra football and short week as a factor.  The guys are mostly healthy and they are not going to lay down.  Carr fumbles a lot and if you can get in his grill he can get rattled, I expect everyone to be ready, rested and focused.  And I expect it on both sides of the ball, after all, how long has it been since either team has won a playoff game?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:59 AM)grampahol Wrote: Because Bobby whatsisface at RT was arguably the greatest RT in Bengals history, but just had some bad luck? Because the Dline last year just flipped a coin, called tails and it turned up heads?  Nah..they were crap.. Injuries played a big part in things, but crap still smells like crap no matter how lucky or unlucky it is.. 

I agree they were crap. They just might not have been horrible, irredeemable, horrendous, unforgivable, no excuses whatsoever level crap. Just plain old crap.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:31 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: What counts I think is that the fans in attendance shouldn’t disrespect the Raiders by expecting the Bengals to be up 14 in the first quarter. Sure it’s possible, but it’s unlikely. They’re a tough group with some matchup advantages and plenty of confidence.

If you’re there and the Bengals don’t start perfectly, please don’t let the ghosts of playoffs past start to haunt your mind. Keep screaming for the defense and hold on to your belief. The Bengals have earned your trust.

Well said JaggedJimmyJay. We all know we start slow too, at least for the majority of the season we did. Burrow learns the Defense
early and than the Offense starts to roll around the 2nd quarter, good thing for us is our Defense usually plays well early to keep us 
in it and the fact we already played the Raiders could be a factor in us actually starting fast for once. The Raiders have played well 
lately but not as well as our starters have lately. Burrow is a big lights kind of guy, I want to see this Saturday.

Should be a fun game as long as we pull out the win I don't really care how we do it. I do have a lot of trust in this Bengals team.

We are never out of a game and Burrow has stopped throwing those interceptions that cost us games early to mid season. 

IT IS TIME!!! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not very many pegged us for division champs at the onset of the season. 

Yep, in fact, many had us finishing last in the division. What was it, no more than 6 win season predicted? To end with 10 wins satisfies the soul. BUT NOW I WANT MORE. I"M A BENGAL SLUT!

Reply/Quote
Where does the expectation of a win rank compared to 2011 through 2015 seasons?

I'd have to assume it's right up there with how people felt going against the Chargers in the 2013 season, right?
Bengals didn't have any of their weapons or QB out for that game, it was in Cincy, it was a west-coast team visiting.

Obviously, I hope the result is (way) better this time around, but I think I was most confident going into that game than I was any other time 2011-2015. I have about that same confidence level for Saturday.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 03:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Where does the expectation of a win rank compared to 2011 through 2015 seasons?

I'd have to assume it's right up there with how people felt going against the Chargers in the 2013 season, right?
Bengals didn't have any of their weapons or QB out for that game, it was in Cincy, it was a west-coast team visiting.

Obviously, I hope the result is (way) better this time around, but I think I was most confident going into that game than I was any other time 2011-2015. I have about that same confidence level for Saturday.

That was the day we were going to put the Carson injury/Pittsburgh loss, loss to the Jets and both losses to the Texans (not to mention the entirety of the '90s) behind us and claim our rightful place in the divisional round.   Confidence on the mothership was through the roof.   Such a disappointing day.  With hindsight I question my confidence then, but not now.  I thoroughly believe Saturday will be a New Dey.  

Tiger
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I'm really sad and surprised the Bengals didn't get the Nickelodeon game, which is at 3:30pm on Sunday.
Maybe it would have looked biased if they had Burrow in that game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote