Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Rate Bengals Draft
(04-26-2020, 06:42 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Well at least we got our help on the o line...or wait..no we didnt lol.

Yes we did, stop it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 06:42 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Well at least we got our help on the o line...or wait..no we didnt lol.

We drafted an OT in the 6th. Did you want OL at every pick? LB was in even worse shape than the OL, and they obviously liked these guys better.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 04:47 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: He rates the Picks: A, D, B, B+, B, B+, B+ = a C+ somehow.

Gives a D for Tee Higgens because it should have been Baun (Who went in the 3rd) yet they rated Higgins as a 1-2 round prospect.

Just a clear bias.

And it's clear from his overall review that he's one of the butt hurt people that wanted Burrow to be in Miami.

Damn Steeler fans eh?

Yeah, screw them. Smack Pitt Sux

(04-26-2020, 05:07 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: B+ to A-

Burrow is a given.  Higgins was a solid, if unspectacular WR choice should quickly work in as the WR3 or WR4 and relegate Auden Tate to WR5.  Wilson has good speed and makes good reads, and should push for a starting gig this year.  ADG was a good value pick.  The only thing keeping this draft from rating higher is ignoring the o -line in a meaningful way.  This unit is still bottom tier, and lacks depth.

Actually I wish Wilson had a little more speed, ADG is more of the speed guy.

Adeniji is a good player man, look him up. Can play right Guard too.

Adeniji is help, get your shit together. Just cause they didn't pick your injured Guard doesn't mean the Draft sucked.
Reply/Quote
A -
Maybe one less LB and one more OL. But if they went BPA, I wouldn't argue with that approach.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I'll give them a solid A-. I wanted a guard in 4, but I like ADG, too, so I'm not too upset about it.

The only thing that keeps me from giving a better grade is the injury concerns with a couple of them. I'm liking what I hear about Wilson, but I'm always suspect of a small school guy when it comes to how they'll handle the transition to the league. They seem confident about him, so I'll buy in until I have reason to do otherwise.
Reply/Quote
A- from me.

Burrow was a no-brainer, Higgins was solid value (remember, he was a top 3-4 receiver in this class before the combine), and we needed all the LB help we could get (now we actually have the personnel to play a 3-4 scheme). Other than Higgins and maybe Kareem, none of our picks were redundant -- all the LBs are fast coverage guys, which we were sorely lacking. (Many people were clamoring for Jones or Baun, but I didn't like Jones and Baun looks like the same player as Lawson, injury concerns and all.)

I would have liked to address O-line earlier (and more often), but I think we took the draft as it fell to us. Although I like Adeniji, I think he's a guard in the NFL. Kareem was my least favorite pick, never really stood out to me. Bailey is a potential steal.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 02:25 AM)samhain Wrote: I'll give them a solid A-.  I wanted a guard in 4, but I like ADG, too, so I'm not too upset about it.  

The only thing that keeps me from giving a better grade is the injury concerns with a couple of them.  I'm liking what I hear about Wilson, but I'm always suspect of a small school guy when it comes to how they'll handle the transition to the league.  They seem confident about him, so I'll buy in until I have reason to do otherwise.

Very reasonable take.

This is my only concern with Logan, should take some time making the transition.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 08:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We drafted an OT in the 6th. Did you want OL at every pick? LB was in even worse shape than the OL, and they obviously liked these guys better.

No just wanted to address it. You have a better shot at having a starting caliber lineman in the first three rounds rather than the last 2 rounds. 
Reply/Quote
A minus
Higgins comes from a school that puts out
Really top shelf playmakers
You cant reach radius

The LBers have athletism written all over them
They can tackle fundamentally and the best thing is
They don't GET CHEATED

Really like the kid from Norte Dame
He still has ceiling to reach and doesnt yet know
The game in and out
Wait till he becomes cerebral
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 06:12 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: No just wanted to address it. You have a better shot at having a starting caliber lineman in the first three rounds rather than the last 2 rounds. 

You mean like Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price?

Good olinemen can be found in later rounds. Part of the reason we were in such bad shape at OG last season was the departure of Clint Boling - who we got in the 4th round.

Reply/Quote
On paper, I'd say this draft is a B+/A- draft. We got our franchise QB to hopefully lead us for 15+ years. The Higgins pick was a solid pick and hopefully he'll work out and provide us a solid future of him and Boyd. Now I feel like our two biggest weaknesses have been LB and OL. We really tackled LB and it's nice to see the Bengals actually being the position into the modern day. There's no denying that Wilson should be much better than Vigil. ADG is my favorite non-Burrow pick. I see him as a guy we can move around in defense eventually. For now, he'll most likely play ST with a few defensive snaps.

I didn't like waiting until the 6th to address the OL. I think Adeniji could be our utility backup, but that's about it. He'll probably be a game day inactive or PS candidate for now.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
According to Hobspin the Bengals were targeting Jordyn Brooks at the top of the second round but the Seahawks took him at 27. Brooks was mentioned around the 3rd round ALOT think of how Bengals fans would have flipped out if that had been the pick lol.

They also considered Logan Wilson at #33 but took Higgins who fell.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
My thoughts on the draft.

Thoughts on Pick 1: Joe Burrow has already had a huge impact on this franchise. When else has the Bengals spent so much money in free agency turning over a roster? Furthermore, they were reasonable additions. From the ownership down, there seems to be a belief that this guy can do special things in Cincinnati. One could argue that getting Burrow also netted Reader, Waynes, Alexander, and Bell. I don't believe they make all these moves if they are picking 8th this draft. If he turns out to be a top 10 QB in this league for years to come this draft is a winner regardless of the rest of the picks.

For those that say well, the Bengals had a no brainer pick here. The Bengals walked away with Burrow in this draft. If he turns out to be an upper tier franchise quarterback then it does not matter that he was 1:1. It does not matter that “the Bengals didn't screw it up”. He is a member of the Bengals through this draft process and that is what matters.

The Bengals had a clear plan in this draft. They chose intelligent, talented, hard working, leaders of their football teams. Given the results of the draft, I am pretty certain their draft board may have been less populated by prospects than in the past. Clearly, they had a measured approach to this draft. I suspect players like Willie Gay, JR., Alton Robinson, among others weren't even on their boards.

As far as the total draft itself, I don't see a bad pick in the bunch. Will they all work out? Likely not but I feel like each player for the round they were chosen in has a better than average chance to contribute in a meaningful way than the normal player taken in that particular round. That is the definition of value in the draft.

With that said, I don't think there is a pick I would change. Aside from pick 33, I did like Michael Pittman, Jr a little bit more than Higgins but it's clear to me that the Bengals felt like Higgins fit better and so I am comfortable with that.

The biggest issue with this draft is not the way the Bengals used their seven picks in my opinion. The problem is for me is that they only came away with 7 picks. I honestly think because the Bengals had targeted a specific type of player that trading down probably didn't make a lot of sense given the way the draft went which is not really the Bengals fault. Likewise as unfortunate, the Bengals couldn't or didn't move Dalton. Had the Bengals secured the 140th pick of the draft for Dalton, instead of Foles, this draft would feel a bit different in my opinion. They would have been in position to add one of Biadasz, Bredesen, or Driscoll. I feel like Bredesen would have been the likely pick giving them a 7th team captain and he participated at the Senior Bowl. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 01:42 AM)Synric Wrote: According to Hobspin the Bengals were targeting Jordyn Brooks at the top of the second round but the Seahawks took him at 27. Brooks was mentioned around the 3rd round ALOT think of how Bengals fans would have flipped out if that had been the pick lol.

They also considered Logan Wilson at #33 but took Higgins who fell.

Glad this is just coming from Hobspin as I take what he says with a grain of salt.

If this is true I am not very hopeful for our future.

Probably the worst pick early in this Draft besides the Packers was Seattle taking a 2 down LB with a 3rd to 4th round grade.

I love Wilson but he comes from a small school and I wouldn't of taken him at 33, we took him where we should of.
Reply/Quote
Def an A
Reply/Quote