Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Receiver in first round?
(01-04-2021, 04:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Reaching for a guy worth the 8th pick with the 5th pick is kind of funny when you say it out loud. If you think a guy is worth a top 8 pick, I don't know how you determine that player is not worth a top 5 pick.

In that regard, I would say "reaching" for Slater (who many think is *merely* a top 10 pick rather than a top 5 pick [for now]) at #5 wouldn't really be an egregious waste of our pick if we think he can be an immediate impact starter.

I read that when we drafted Levi Jones in 2002, people considered it a reach. But he was integral to our offensive line in Carson's heyday and, had he not been derailed by injuries, would have a fixture on our line for a decade or more. Was it a bad selection? It's hard to consider it such.

When I think of a "reach" I think of players like Drew Sample who are drafted literal rounds sooner than expected and show that they were overdrafted in their seasons. Not a guy who was taken 2 or 3 picks sooner than many pundits think they should have been. 

Definitely.

The only thing I would "nitpick" is that I haven't seen Slater considered a Top 10 pick yet. But I think that's because his positional fit may be different for teams. Can he stay outside at OT or does he fit better at OG? Also, how has he changed after taking the season off?

At the end of the day, Bengals need to get a good player, and that's ultimately what matters. It may be considered a reach at the time, but if the player is good, it won't be considered a reach very long.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 05:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Kyle Pitts is a matchup issue for any DC. 
The less snaps Drew Sample gets the better this offense will be

Pitts isn't really much of a blocker whereas that's Sample's strength.
There could be a role for both on the Bengals.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: I would take Sewell if he falls to us, regardless of FA.  Kid's potential is off the charts.  That said, if he's not there, you have to look at who's worth taking at that slot.  It's a bad DL class at the top.  There isn't another OL worth taking there.  There's a couple of WR's worth taking there.

Need is one thing, but it's foolish to pass on an AJ Green type prospect for a Michael Johnson type prospect just because of position group.  A prime AJ Green is going to help win more games than a prime MJ.  

This x 20.  A stud WR will win you way more games than a stud OL or DL.  They'll make great plays but not game breaking plays.

Higgins and Boyd are not enough to get us over the the top offensively.

Help the lines in free agency, take the young playmaker early and reap the benefits for years.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see a lot of people talking about drafting a WR with our first round pick.  That does not make any sense to me.  We already have two very good WRs in Higgins and Boyd.  A new guy might provide some improvement but not near as muc as a new guy at a position where we suck.

We desperately need help on the O-line and D-line.  We have to address those positions before we can even consider getting another receiver.

We need help at a lot of positions is the thing..... we 2 good receivers but no depth after that. Out tight ends are okay but just okay. Defense looked consistently horrible most of season..... upgrades or depth would be welcomed really at every position even CB and linebacker. If Penei is there yes he's the best available player then take him. I hate to reach at #5 for the second best tackle in the draft if he's not worth it. But a lot will depend on what we get in free agency. I'm not against picking Chase or Smith though if we fill some voids in free agency or even trading down to get some extra picks. We just have a lot of glaring needs. Especially on defense. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't really think there's a DL player worth the 5th overall pick. About the only one I would consider is Rousseau.
I would say the same for OL aside from Sewell.
The players I consider in that range aside from QBs are Sewell (OT), Parsons (LB), Surtain (CB), Farley (CB), Chase (WR). I'd put Smith (WR), Pitts (TE), and Rousseau (DE) right around the 8-12 range.

So I guess my question for you is if Sewell is gone, do you want to "reach" for OL/DL due to need? I realize "reach" is subjective and it really doesn't matter as long as the player is good, but I know some would have that concern.

No, I would not reach. Your list is about the same as mine. While I'd entertain Chase and even Smith, Fred's got a point about us sucking less at WR than elsewhere. I guess my only counter to his argument is that while Bord and Higgins are very good, is either of them a true #1 WR? Do we need a true #1 WR. I think it would be nice to have a young AJ Green to command double coverage, but is Chase or Smith a true #1? I'm not sure.

If we want a burner to take the top off of defenses, I think there are some of those guys who'll be available on day 2 and 3.  

Sewell is the obvious pick at 5 if he's there. If not, then I think your list is right on target. But if we don't do what we need to do for OLine in FA, then I'd trade back.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see a lot of people talking about drafting a WR with our first round pick.  That does not make any sense to me.  We already have two very good WRs in Higgins and Boyd.  A new guy might provide some improvement but not near as muc as a new guy at a position where we suck.

We desperately need help on the O-line and D-line.  We have to address those positions before we can even consider getting another receiver.

As a whole I agree with you (though I would add impact LB), the question I have for you...at pick #5 do you take a Oline or Dline that you rated outside top 10  vs. a WR rated in top 5.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:47 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I do agree with you that we desperately need line help on both sides.

Sources say the bengals are going balls deep for offensive line help in free agency. If they get a guard/tackle, that would help immensely. As for defensive line help, I bet they are going to add players in 3 and 4. There are some good defensive linemen That can be found here in this draft.

But they also said they were targeting playmakers too. That tells me they may be targeting WR in the first round and maybe a CB in 2.

Expect , even if Sewell is on the board, one of the names of Chase, Smith, Pitts or Waddle to be called at pick 5.

I like Paye and Parsons too, but IDK if they think they are playmakers.

Can't they target playmaker also in FA?
Reply/Quote
Gotta go with defense... we have so many busts with offense its too embarrassing.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 07:08 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: No, I would not reach. Your list is about the same as mine. While I'd entertain Chase and even Smith, Fred's got a point about us sucking less at WR than elsewhere. I guess my only counter to his argument is that while Bord and Higgins are very good, is either of them a true #1 WR? Do we need a true #1 WR. I think it would be nice to have a young AJ Green to command double coverage, but is Chase or Smith a true #1? I'm not sure.

If we want a burner to take the top off of defenses, I think there are some of those guys who'll be available on day 2 and 3.  

Sewell is the obvious pick at 5 if he's there. If not, then I think your list is right on target. But if we don't do what we need to do for OLine in FA, then I'd trade back.

Yes. Tee is a 1.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 09:30 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yes. Tee is a 1.

well he had a rookie year that is very comparable to Chad 1st full year and he turned out to be a #1 WR,, so why not Tee
Reply/Quote
Well if everything is a “reach” outside of WR and you don’t want a WR then it seems you would trade the pick. I imagine the #5 pick is worth a teams first two picks if they are in the back half of the draft and maybe their 1 and 3 if they are in the front half.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It would give fans PTSD of John Ross and Billy Price, both of whom were taken probably about 10-20 picks earlier than they were projected.

Both were taking roughly where they were supposed to.
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to think about the draft until after free agency.... especially the first pick. THAT will determine what makes sense to me.

I would be fine w WR IF it was a game breaking player and IF the O-line gets addressed in the FA period.

The Bengals MUST stretch the field. They have no one to do that exceptionally well. They MUST protect Joe Burrow. They have no none to do that exceptionally well, either.

I would be fine with a trade back and the lineman from VA Tech along w a WR high.

Options are what I'm looking for. And those options will shape themselves after FA Period.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 09:30 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yes. Tee is a 1.

I'd agree with you. If he's THAT good as a rookie, what's his ceiling? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
It all depends on free agency. If we can sign 2 legit OL yes draft another playmaker.
Reply/Quote
For those saying WR is not a position of need, you have to realize if Higgins or Boyd get hurt, we are starting Tate, Erickson or Thomas. Now, I'm not knocking those guys, but I hear they are bums. We need another receiver. I would take Sewell if he is there, and if not I would take Chase or Smith.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 10:25 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Both were taking roughly where they were supposed to.

I recall John Ross being projected around 17-20, and Price being projected around 30-45.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
kinda expect offense in Free Agency and Defensive draft.
Reply/Quote
Remember that Zacs base formation on offense has at least 3 WR. And the quality level in the WR room dives off a cliff after Tee and Tyler. So if Sewell is gone I would expect a WR.
Reply/Quote
Depends on two things, how well we do in free agency with regards to linemen. If we get 2 good solid players then we can maybe go for it.

But even then, how deep is the WR class? If it’s deep enough where we can still get a good one in the 2nd/3rd then wouldn’t it be smarter to either trade down or take the best defensive player on the board?
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote