Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Receiver in first round?
I think the bigger issue is how the draft falls. If we see the following:

1. Lawrence
2. Fields
3. Sewell

Then WR may be the BPA since this is such a weak draft for elite edge guys. If that's the case the BPA could easily be Smith, Pitts or Chase.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2021, 05:31 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think the bigger issue is how the draft falls.  If we see the following:

1.  Lawrence
2.  Fields
3.  Sewell

Then WR may be the BPA since this is such a weak draft for elite edge guys.  If that's the case the BPA could easily be Smith, Pitts or Chase.

I think it will come to what Altanta does, if they pass on Parsons and pick  Chase BPA on many boards left is Parsons and LB is a need position
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
At any rate I'd get Tate on track to develop into a TE if possible.

I'm not a fanboy of his.

I just think he'd add more value at that position if they don't add a decent one in the draft or FA.

Pitts is a good player, but would he really be any better offensive weapon than Smith or Chase if he's not much of a blocker?

I'm on the Chase wagon(bigger bodied/fighter)but Smith could be awesome doing end-arounds and other quick line plays as well a downfield threat.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2021, 10:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I recall John Ross being projected around 17-20, and Price being projected around 30-45.

I'll go see if I can pull up the Walter football mocks, but I think Ross was a top 12 & Price the back of the 1st.

Walter Football, a site that I think does NFL Draft stuff really well, had Ross mocked to the Bengals at 9. They do updates literally several times a week and then daily leading up to the draft.

Other sites I found had him between 9-18.

With Price Walter had him going to the Falcons at 26 after the Bengals took Ragnow at 21. To be fair to the Bengals, there were really only 3 highly touted C prospects in 2018 and Ragnow, who they really wanted, was taken right in front of them by Detroit rather unexpectedly. Daniels went to the Bears in rd 2, butnhe was not a good fit for Cincy. The Price pick wasn't a reach and made sense.

Oddly enough, that same draft Walter had Sam Hubbard as a 1st rounder mocked to the Titans.

- What killed me was the Bengals passing on T Orlando Brown, like, 5 times before he was taken. That 2018 Draft is really weird. High highs and lower lows.
Reply/Quote
Mac Jones just declared for the Draft which could help with either us trading back or Sewell sticking around longer.
Reply/Quote
Schefter reported this morning that with the hiring of Robert Selah as head coach that Sam Darnold is likely to be staying with the Jets. Odds are they will want to trade that spot to someone who needs a QB but it opens things up for them which in turn can affect the Bengal's pick

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2021, 08:25 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'll go see if I can pull up the Walter football mocks, but I think Ross was a top 12 & Price the back of the 1st.

Walter Football, a site that I think does NFL Draft stuff really well, had Ross mocked to the Bengals at 9. They do updates literally several times a week and then daily leading up to the draft.

Other sites I found had him between 9-18.

With Price Walter had him going to the Falcons at 26 after the Bengals took Ragnow at 21. To be fair to the Bengals, there were really only 3 highly touted C prospects in 2018 and Ragnow, who they really wanted, was taken right in front of them by Detroit rather unexpectedly. Daniels went to the Bears in rd 2, butnhe was not a good fit for Cincy. The Price pick wasn't a reach and made sense.

Oddly enough, that same draft Walter had Sam Hubbard as a 1st rounder mocked to the Titans.

- What killed me was the Bengals passing on T Orlando Brown, like, 5 times before he was taken. That 2018 Draft is really weird. High highs and lower lows.

I wouldn't put Walter Football in the Top 3 of what I would consider accurate projections in terms of prospect rankings.
Ross was accurately mocked because we knew the Bengals wanted a WR to replace LaFell and it was reported the Bengals loved Ross after they met with him.

Other site projections for Ross:
PFF - 19th
SI - 18th
Mayock - 14th
CBS Sports - 16th

In terms of Price:
Mayock - 45th
SI - 45th
CBS Sports - 47th
PFF - 69th

EDIT - Let me clarify I'm talking about prospect rankings, not mocking where they go. A mock factors in need whereas prospect rankings are purely based on talent.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 10:35 AM)pally Wrote: Schefter reported this morning that with the hiring of Robert Selah as head coach that Sam Darnold is likely to be staying with the Jets. Odds are they will want to trade that spot to someone who needs a QB but it opens things up for them which in turn can affect the Bengal's pick

This is bad for us if true. If Lawrence is the only QB taken in the first 4 picks I don’t see how Sewell will be there at 5.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 10:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is bad for us if true. If Lawrence is the only QB taken in the first 4 picks I don’t see how Sewell will be there at 5.

I would say the "nightmare" scenario is the Top 4 being Lawrence, Smith, Chase, and Sewell, but that'd be perfect for my boi Kyle Pitts lol. The right move though would be trade back in this scenario.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 11:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I would say the "nightmare" scenario is the Top 4 being Lawrence, Smith, Chase, and Sewell, but that'd be perfect for my boi Kyle Pitts lol. The right move though would be trade back in this scenario.

If there’s no good trade options in that scenario I’m 100% down to take Pitts there. People really shouldn’t get too hung up on drafting a TE that high. He’s very likely going to put WR numbers in the NFL.

Still down for Surtain at 5, too (if those guys are gone). I highly doubt we re-sign WJ3.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 11:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If there’s no good trade options in that scenario I’m 100% down to take Pitts there. People really shouldn’t get too hung up on drafting a TE that high. He’s very likely going to put WR numbers in the NFL.

Still down for Surtain at 5, too (if those guys are gone). I highly doubt we re-sign WJ3.

Yep. Surtain is my preferred option for defense. I also could be game for Farley. He has a high ceiling and looked good last year, but he's being forgotten because he didn't play this year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2021, 09:01 PM)TheFan Wrote: Mac Jones just declared for the Draft which could help with either us trading back or Sewell sticking around longer.

Mid to late first rounder.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't put Walter Football in the Top 3 of what I would consider accurate projections in terms of prospect rankings.
Ross was accurately mocked because we knew the Bengals wanted a WR to replace LaFell and it was reported the Bengals loved Ross after they met with him.

Other site projections for Ross:
PFF - 19th
SI - 18th
Mayock - 14th
CBS Sports - 16th

In terms of Price:
Mayock - 45th
SI - 45th
CBS Sports - 47th
PFF - 69th

EDIT - Let me clarify I'm talking about prospect rankings, not mocking where they go. A mock factors in need whereas prospect rankings are purely based on talent.

Still to be considered in the 15 to 20th or 50th prospect in a entire NFL means you were pretty damn good. I read a article on Price that when he finished his career he was being compared to the top 5 lineman in their history. No one predicted Ross or Price to not be a productive player. Look back in Ross drat I believe maybe 1/2 of the top ten will not make it to 2nd conteact or already been dealt.
Reply/Quote
I said this in another thread and I'll stand by it here.

No to a WR in round 1.

New England won with no name WRs for years. How? Good QB, good coaching, great O-line and an attacking defense.
Green Bay shows up every year winning their division. How many top tier WR's do they have? One.

Protect Burrow and get a nasty attacking D.
If Burrow is your franchise and the guy and as good as he is supposed to be (all the pre-draft comparison) then he should make average WRs look great.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 03:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I said this in another thread and I'll stand by it here.

No to a WR in round 1.

New England won with no name WRs for years. How? Good QB, good coaching, great O-line and an attacking defense.
Green Bay shows up every year winning their division. How many top tier WR's do they have? One.

Protect Burrow and get a nasty attacking D.
If Burrow is your franchise and the guy and as good as he is supposed to be (all the pre-draft comparison) then he should make average WRs look great.
And we have 2 good ones already, I like the veteran Pickup in FA with 2 FA line and load up draft with dline oline LB and cb and te.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 11:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I would say the "nightmare" scenario is the Top 4 being Lawrence, Smith, Chase, and Sewell, but that'd be perfect for my boi Kyle Pitts lol. The right move though would be trade back in this scenario.

Even in that drat older you still have  two top position  players of need in stud at LB in Parsons BPA really at #5 and top corner in Surtain on Def. Besides Your Pitts. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 02:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Still to be considered in the 15 to 20th or 50th prospect in a entire NFL means you were pretty damn good. I read a article on Price that when he finished his career he was being compared to the top 5 lineman in their history. No one predicted Ross or Price to not be a productive player. Look back in Ross drat I believe maybe 1/2 of the top ten will not make it to 2nd conteact or already been dealt.

Absolutely, both were expected to at least be solid in the NFL.
I wasn't meaning to imply that they were projected to be bad players.
Just that they both were probably overdrafted.

I still think Ross needs to have catered plays that utilize his skill set better, but he's not a fit in Taylor's scheme.
Price needs to be in a man power blocking scheme that drives vertically off the ball, as he has limited range and lacks length.

As for the 2017 draft, Adams was traded because he was disgruntled with NYJ, but he's always been good. Fournette was very productive for JAX, but they found near-identical production from a new UDFA in Robinson.
Trubisky is tough to decide right now, as he was having a solid season. His pace was 3288 yards with 25 TDs and 12 INTs. He also has a winning record in his career: 29-21. Last, he has a career 64% completion percentage and had 67% in 2020. So he's not terrible, but he's not great.
It looks like none of the top WRs drafted are true WR1s. Williams has only hit 1000 yards once (1001 in 2019) and Davis was just under 1000 in 2020 (984). Both have been better than Ross though.

Probably the biggest dud was either Solomon Thomas or Ross. I would go with Thomas. Thomas only put up 6.0 sacks and no turnovers in 30 starts. Which embarrasses me, as I thought he'd be a good inside pass rusher a la Geno Atkins or Aaron Donald. If the Bengals wanted to be cheap on finding another inside pass rusher, I'd take a flier on Thomas still though with a cheap contract. Probably no more than $3 mill APY.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 04:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Even in that drat older you still have  two top position  players of need in stud at LB in Parsons BPA really at #5 and top corner in Surtain on Def. Besides Your Pitts. 

We've already discussed Parsons before, but I doubt that's the path. Bengals don't value LB like that and I think Surratt from UNC is about as good as Parsons but can be had on Day 2. I won't hate the pick though if it's Parsons, as the Bengals could use a better LB than what they have.

If you forced me to pick at 5 and told me Sewell, Chase, and Smith are all gone, I'd go either Surtain, Pitts, or Darrisaw.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 04:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We've already discussed Parsons before, but I doubt that's the path. Bengals don't value LB like that and I think Surratt from UNC is about as good as Parsons but can be had on Day 2. I won't hate the pick though if it's Parsons, as the Bengals could use a better LB than what they have.

If you forced me to pick at 5 and told me Sewell, Chase, and Smith are all gone, I'd go either Surtain, Pitts, or Darrisaw.

I cant reach that high for Darrisaw, Parsons has to be considered just on this BPA rank and especially  if we dont resign Byne we are thin at LB and missing the impact player like Parsons.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are taking Chase. It's written in stone.

Deal with it.  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote