Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Record Chasers....... CountDown
(10-21-2015, 12:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 16 - Consecutive starts needed by Dalton, now with 64, to reach 80 straight, extending his club record for quarterbacks once held by Esiason with 61 straight starts from 1985-89. Third on the list is Blake with 52 (1994-97) and then Palmer with 51 (2005-2008).

He already holds that record ill put it under accomplishments.

it will take 2 more years but he has Esiasons 98 straight starts record in his sights as well

Wait, Dalton has started every games since his rookie season

16X4=64 regular season starts + 6 games this year = 70
4X1=4 playoff starts

So, if it's just regular season games, Dalton is at 70 games straight. If you include the playoffs it would be 74.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 05:00 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Wait, Dalton has started every games since his rookie season

16X4=64 regular season starts + 6 games this year = 70
4X1=4 playoff starts

So, if it's just regular season games, Dalton is at 70 games straight. If you include the playoffs it would be 74.

yeah i copied pasted that from the article so those numbers were before the beginning of the season and i believe are just regular season games. I havent been tracking that because he is already the franchise leader i believe.
Reply/Quote
Take the week off and still gain a game on all 3 teams in the division...

Sounds like an accomplishment lol
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2015, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Take the week off and still gain a game on all 3 teams in the division...

Sounds like an accomplishment lol

Bengals beat the Bye!
Every team in the division lost, and no off-week injuries or arrests.  

There will most likely be injuries in this next game against Pitt.  Steelers specialize in that.  Hopefully nothing significant.  But we will really know the tables have turned if we end up jacking them up for a change.  Wouldn't that be special?
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
The only number of wins that Marvin Lewis needs to tie John Madden and go down as the greatest football coach of all time is: 1 Superbowl, thus redeeming Mike Brown and turning around the Bengals from worst to 1st.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 10:11 AM)djs7685 Wrote: It's a "fact" to the media and casual fans that blindly follow everything the media tells them to.

Wins are a team statistic. I have no problem saying that Andy Dalton played at an elite level against the Chargers which played a huge role in the team's victory, but the Bengals beat the Chargers, not Andy.

Just stop with the condescending "casual fan" crap. Respected sites such as Pro Football Reference list the win/loss records for starting QB's. Like it or not, that's reality. 

It's team game. I think everyone gets that. That said, Head Coaches and QB's have a much larger role than any other individual player in team success. This is why their win/loss records are tracked.

It's similar to win/loss records for pitchers in baseball. Baseball is also a "team game", but pitchers play a much bigger role in team success/failure than any of the 8 position players. 

I think the problem is that you think the stat is giving 100% credit to one player. I don't see it that way. I view the stat as how well the team does with that player starting. The one who is starting at (by far) the most important position on the field. A QB can pretty much make or break a game by himself. That's why a win/loss record is attributed to him, but not the LG or a slot WR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
A few of these got some forward progress in PIT!
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 10:11 AM)djs7685 Wrote: It's a "fact" to the media and casual fans that blindly follow everything the media tells them to.

Wins are a team statistic. I have no problem saying that Andy Dalton played at an elite level against the Chargers which played a huge role in the team's victory, but the Bengals beat the Chargers, not Andy.

No one cares what you have a problem with.  Just because you disagree does not mean that everyone else is "blind" or stupid.

For a very long time fans have realized that the starting QB (like the starting pitcher in a baseball game) has mor effect on which team wins than any other position.  A QB can play great and the team can still lose, and a QB can play bad and the team still win, but overall the QB is the most important.  I agree it is not the best way to measure a QBs play, but people are not stupid to consider it.

Do you consider all NFL owners "blind" for paying QBs a lot more money than any other position?
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 11:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No one cares what you have a problem with.  Just because you disagree does not mean that everyone else is "blind" or stupid.

For a very long time fans have realized that the starting QB (like the starting pitcher in a baseball game) has mor effect on which team wins than any other position.  A QB can play great and the team can still lose, and a QB can play bad and the team still win, but overall the QB is the most important.  I agree it is not the best way to measure a QBs play, but people are not stupid to consider it.

Do you consider all NFL owners "blind" for paying QBs a lot more money than any other position?

The confusing part to those on the old boards was DJS spouted routinely the QB should get the most blame if we lose, but he has a different standard if we win.

I will say though he also stated over and over it is a team game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

No doubt. No individual players (even the most important on the field) should be credited with a win/loss record.  It makes people look ridiculous when they suggest otherwise. A game where there are 90 dudes playing every game and people act like games are regularly decided by 2 of those individuals. 

It's also a pretty common situation in Bengals circles to credit the QB with the 47-23-1 regular season record but state that the playoff failures are "team losses".

.....they're ALL team losses, as well as wins.

Just look at the Chargers 2-6 start.  You think Philip Rivers has played that badly?  What about the Broncos 7-0 start...has Manning played even close to an undefeated level?  Silliness.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 11:29 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: No doubt. No individual players (even the most important on the field) should be credited with a win/loss record.  It makes people look ridiculous when they suggest otherwise. A game where there are 90 dudes playing every game and people act like games are regularly decided by 2 of those individuals. 

It's also a pretty common situation in Bengals circles to credit the QB with the 47-23-1 regular season record but state that the playoff failures are "team losses".

.....they're ALL team losses, as well as wins.

I agree all wins and losses are team related. However, the all time greats like Manning and Brady deserve and earned deserving comments on their ability to help their team win year after year, game after game. I often wonder, how good would Belichick be if he had Brady playing against him for the Jets all these years versus for him. I think he is a great football mind, but would he be able to win if Brady was against him versus for him?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 11:34 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree all wins and losses are team related. However, the all time greats like Manning and Brady deserve and earned deserving comments on their ability to help their team win year after year, game after game. I often wonder, how good would Belichick be if he had Brady playing against him for the Jets all these years versus for him. I think he is a great football mind, but would he be able to win if Brady was against him versus for him?

Of course they do, and they get that.  I don't think they need a recorded win/loss record to recognize their ability to lead their team to a win.  I've repeatedly said that the QB is definitely the most important position and is most often the player that is the biggest factor in the win, but like I said in my earlier post....90 men play on each field each week....attributing the win to 2 of them is nuts.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 11:26 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The confusing part to those on the old boards was DJS spouted routinely the QB should get the most blame if we lose, but he has a different standard if we win.

I will say though he also stated over and over it is a team game.

I spouted routinely that the QB should get a lot of the blame if we lose and he plays poorly (that's an important part that you can't just leave out). The QB should also get a lot of the credit if we win and he performs at a high level. It's a team game, I'm glad you acknowledged that I've always said that because I have. I don't like giving any individual a W/L record, but I have no issue pointing out when Andy played a huge role in a win or a loss.

I don't care if people get salty about being called a casual fan or not, but with my estimation that I'm just making up with no actual data whatsoever, 93.5% of people that give QB's W/L record are filthy casuals that play Madden too much and watch ESPN highlights for their analysis.

Seriously though, there are a TON of casual fans out there. It's nothing to be insulted over. The media throws W/L on a QB just because they want ratings, and the casuals eat it up. Why get mad over that? Meh, I couldn't care less which websites use that stat and I don't care if NFL owners pay QBs more money than other positions. Those things don't refute what I'm saying at all. I've acknowledged that QB is the "most important" position on almost every NFL team in the modern era, I do get that (hence them being paid more), I just will never get behind putting a W/L record on them and I think it's silly for other sports too. FWIW, pitchers and goalies likely deserve the W/L moreso than QBs, but I still don't think they should have it either. These are team sports.
Reply/Quote
Bengals First 7-0 Start in team history... Accomplished...

Dalton moves 1 closer to All time Road wins record (by a QB) in the first 5 years.

Dalton also has passed Jeff Garcia... On i believe most TDs in first 5 years to move into 3rd place @ 114 13 to go to catch matt ryan

and AJ gets a TD

WHODEY...

Also please take your guys silly bickering elsewhere.

Everyone knows its a team sport. ITs just so much easier to refer to the era by the QB....
Reply/Quote
What a Serious week for the Bengals Record Chasers
First off Congrats 8-0 is the Best ever for the Bengals and the AFCN actually (breaks our previous win streak of 7 games)

Tyler Eifert Now is tied for the all time Bengals TD by TE in a season Record of 9

Dalton passes palmer on the All time Bengals QB wins list

Still need withworths update on if he gave up a sack the last few games but if he didnt then he now has the longest streak ever recorded by pff for not allowing a sack by a LT

And Dunlap has passed Justin Smith to go to 4th all time on the bengals Sack list

***ACCOMPLISHED*** Bengals website has him with 8.5/7.5 needed) - Sacks needed by defensive end Carlos Dunlap to pass Justin Smith into fourth place on the Bengals all-time sack list with 44. Eddie Edwards, who played 170 games from 1977-88, is the leader with 83.5.

****ACCOMPLISHED**** - Victories Dalton needs to pass Palmer (46) on the Bengals’ all-time quarterback wins list behind Anderson (91) and Boomer Esiason (62). Dalton is now 3rd ALL time in bengals wins QB

*****Accomplished***** More Wins To beat the Longest win Streak in Franchise history of 8 games (tied previous of 7)** Counter will reset if they lose before accomplishing.

***ACCOMPLISHED*** Tight End Tyler Eifert now leads the league with 9 TDs and Ties an All time TD record for Bengals Tight ends with 9 in a season (with 8 games to go)
Reply/Quote
Hate to be a debbie downer with this, but it's something that seems rather obvious.

Isn't the fact that some of our younger players are climbing the franchise record leaderboards so quickly not only a good thing for them, but a bad thing for our team in a way?

I mean, isn't it a sign that maybe we haven't had many good players at these positions in the past? Andy, Dunlap, Eifert, and the rest of these guys chasing records are obviously very good players, but if you look at the list of the records they're beating at such a young age, isn't that somewhat disappointing in a way too?
Reply/Quote
Oh Also Eifert Tied the Single Game TD by TE Record for the bengals of 3 TDs held now jointly by Trumpy
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:34 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Hate to be a debbie downer with this, but it's something that seems rather obvious.

Isn't the fact that some of our younger players are climbing the franchise record leaderboards so quickly not only a good thing for them, but a bad thing for our team in a way?

I mean, isn't it a sign that maybe we haven't had many good players at these positions in the past? Andy, Dunlap, Eifert, and the rest of these guys chasing records are obviously very good players, but if you look at the list of the records they're beating at such a young age, isn't that somewhat disappointing in a way too?

Kinda Yeah... But since the game has evolved into a more pass heavy style we are just now being competitive in... but some of these records are NFL as well and not just bengals. Different Era to be sure has something to do with it.

Also having a good team that is constantly turning in winning seasons is new to the franchise as well

Still some of these guys are just reaching into 3rd or 4th place on the all time list and have a ways to go to get to the top
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Kinda Yeah... But since the game has evolved into a more pass heavy style we are just now being competitive in...  but some of these records are NFL as well and not just bengals.  Different Era to be sure has something to do with it.

Also having a good team that is constantly turning in winning seasons is new to the franchise as well

Yeah it's great to see these guys breaking NFL records and team records too, that's why I hate to be a downer about it, but it just makes you realize that we haven't had that many great players at some of these positions in the modern era, and that's sort of sad to think about LOL
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:06 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yeah it's great to see these guys breaking NFL records and team records too, that's why I hate to be a downer about it, but it just makes you realize that we haven't had that many great players at some of these positions in the modern era, and that's sort of sad to think about LOL

Well thats why its important to enjoy it while we got it lol...

Damn eifert is for real.... it was nice to hear the bengals fans chanting MVP for dalton during the post game show.
Reply/Quote