Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July 2023 thread
(07-26-2023, 11:42 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Lively vs. Peralta day game. Peralta is ok, not great. But IIRC he kinda put it to us not long ago. Hopefully we'll be able to get to him early.

Perralta might as well have been prime Pedro Martinez today.
Reply/Quote
Thank God we don't play them again this regular season. I ***** hate that team.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 05:26 PM)samhain Wrote: Perralta might as well have been prime Pedro Martinez today.

For whatever reasons we just can't hit Brewers pitching, it's weird.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 05:26 PM)Earendil Wrote: The Reds are now 3-10 against the Brewers this year, meaning they are 53-38 against everyone else. That makes the Brewers 47-43 against other teams. If they didn't play head-to-head, the Reds would have an 8 game lead over them.

I really hate that team and have for years.

It just makes no sense how much they dominate us.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 06:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It just makes no sense how much they dominate us.

I still remember being an excited high schooler that was about to drive himself to his first playoff game.  Bought the ticket and all we had to do was win 2 out of 3 against a crappy Brewers team in 1999.  I had to walk back into the audio video store that had a little Ticketmaster booth to get my money back for a game that never happened. Then we get handled by Al Leiter and never sniff the playoffs for a decade.  
Reply/Quote
Is there a record for most shutouts by one team over another in a month?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 06:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It just makes no sense how much they dominate us.

The Reds look like that they have no game plan at the plate against the Brewers and it seems that they don't talk to each other or pass along info after each at bat. They just look like they're facing Peralta for the first time and he's done nothing different against the Reds in the 5 years they've faced him, either starting or out of the pen.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 11:04 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Reds look like that they have no game plan at the plate against the Brewers and it seems that they don't talk to each other or pass along info after each at bat. They just look like they're facing Peralta for the first time and he's done nothing different against the Reds in the 5 years they've faced him, either starting or out of the pen.

Yep

It seems they're all trying to knock the ball into the next county on every at bat. Forgotten that they're great at small ball, stealing bases, pressuring the defense and winning.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 10:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Is there a record for most shutouts by one team over another in a month?

Just sad
Reply/Quote
Well, on to LA in my best hoodie impression.

We did alright against them back in early June. Perhaps we can take 2 of 3 again? And the Brewers are playing Atlanta in their house so.... perhaps we can get lucky and make up some ground?

I'm going to Dead Horse again. And say they've got to replace Weaver with a decent starter at a minimum to have any prayer this season.
Reply/Quote
A much needed day off for the Reds Bullpen.

Diaz and Sims can not pitch every game. There is still August and September and hopefully October to go. Diaz and Sims are going to have to get games off. I go on the rule of 2. If you pitch a reliever a 2nd day in a row, he isn't as good. You should never pitch a reliever 3 days in a row, or you are ruining his arm, plus he will probably not pitch well. I'm always amazed by fans and announcers when a reliver looks bad pitched 3 days in a row, and fans and announcers say, " I don't get it, he looked good the last 2 days ". I'm amazed they don't comprehend fatigue.

Still in July. April-May....June-July....Reds not even into August - September.....A lot of baseball still to be played.

Reds are having a great season. On Pitching, injuries to Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft have hurt. However other young pitchers have stepped up. Williams, Lively, Abbott. Abbott looks like either Robert Redford as The Sundance Kid. On the mound, that face and moustache, he looks like The Sundance Kid.. Abbott is one heck of a left handed starter, and could be around as long as Tom Browning. He has the work ethic attitude that Tom Seaver had on the mound. I don't see much off field trouble, he seems to be a leader, not a goof off.

It will be good if Reds can get Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft all healthy at the same time, but Abbott may be the best of the bunch, and Williams and Lively look pretty good also. I would NOT make a trade for pitching in July, because Reds have good pitchers coming off IL in August.

I will point out that Votto is batting under .200, after missing the first 3 months. The 2 highest paid Reds are Votto and The Moose who they still pay full price to play for another team. That ends at end of season. The Reds get out from under Moose Contract in November. The Reds get out from under Votto contract in November. Reds have an option to keep Votto one more season but at a very cheap price. The days of Votto making the mega bucks in Cincy are over in November. Clearly The Moose gone and Votto batting under .200 around age 40 are not the future.

If it was me, I would not bring Votto back next season, even at the cheap option price. The Reds have too many good young hitters needing playing time. Old man Votto is just in the way now. He has been paid more money than any other Red in their history. THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT with Reds able to go into 2024 without the Moose or Votto Contracts breaking the bank.

I wish Votto would say this is his last season, and in September have Joey Votto Day. Then maybe he finishes with Reds in play-offs in October.

The Reds have good young hitters, and if they can get Abbott, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Williams, Lively healthy and pitching, The Reds will have an amazing Pitching Staff. I'll point out that if Reds can get Abbott and Lodolo both pitching, the Reds will have 2 Tom Browning type lefthanders, because they both have a lot of talent and good southpaws are hard to find.

Diaz and Sims are very good, but they can not pitch every day. There is still all of August and September to go. Others need to log some end of game bullpen time. If they are paced right, Sims and Diaz can get this team into the play-offs, Sims is a top Holds Guy and Diaz is a top Saves Guy.

GO REDS.....Glad the bullpen got a much needed day off today. Reds needed an off day.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Bell was just signed to a 3 year extension.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/reds-sign-manager-david-bell-to-three-year-extension.html
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Well good news Brewers lost so we can gain ground if we hold on.
Reply/Quote
77 pitches

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
5 straight innings the Dodgers put the leadoff man on. It's a miracle they've only scored 2 to this point.
Reply/Quote
Expand the lead to 4 and trying to give it all back in 1 inning.
Reply/Quote
WHEW!!! Reds win and trail Brewers by just 1/2 game for first.
Reply/Quote
Watching who the Reds sit out this weekend as potential trade bait.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Well we won the first one. Williamson actually pitched pretty good. But here comes Weaver. The good news is Dodgers running a rookie out there with a 6.75 ERA so perhaps that evens it up a bit?

Still hoping they can get at least an average starter in trade to replace Weaver.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:13 PM)kevin Wrote: A much needed day off for the Reds Bullpen.

Diaz and Sims can not pitch every game.  There is still August and September and hopefully October to go.  Diaz and Sims are going to have to get games off.  I go on the rule of 2.  If you pitch a reliever a 2nd day in a row, he isn't as good. You should never pitch a reliever 3 days in a row, or you are ruining his arm, plus he will probably not pitch well.  I'm always amazed by fans and announcers when a reliver looks bad pitched 3 days in a row, and fans and announcers say, " I don't get it, he looked good the last 2 days ".   I'm amazed they don't comprehend fatigue.

Still in July.  April-May....June-July....Reds not even into August - September.....A lot of baseball still to be played.  

Reds are having a great season.  On Pitching, injuries to Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft have hurt.  However other young pitchers have stepped up.  Williams, Lively, Abbott.   Abbott looks like either Robert Redford as The Sundance Kid. On the mound, that face and moustache, he looks like The Sundance Kid..  Abbott is one heck of a left handed starter, and could be around as long as Tom Browning.  He has the work ethic attitude that Tom Seaver had on the mound.  I don't see much off field trouble, he seems to be a leader, not a goof off.  

It will be good if Reds can get Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft all healthy at the same time, but Abbott may be the best of the bunch, and Williams and Lively look pretty good also.  I would NOT make a trade for pitching in July, because Reds have good pitchers coming off IL in August.

I will point out that Votto is batting under .200, after missing the first 3 months.  The 2 highest paid Reds are Votto and The Moose who they still pay full price to play for another team.  That ends at end of season.  The Reds get out from under Moose Contract in November.  The Reds get out from under Votto contract in November.  Reds have an option to keep Votto one more season but at a very cheap price. The days of Votto making the mega bucks in Cincy are over in November.   Clearly The Moose gone and Votto batting under .200 around age 40 are not the future.  

If it was me, I would not bring Votto back next season, even at the cheap option price.  The Reds have too many good young hitters needing playing time.  Old man Votto is just in the way now. He has been paid more money than any other Red in their history.  THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT with Reds able to go into 2024 without the Moose or Votto Contracts breaking the bank.  

I wish Votto would say this is his last season, and in September have Joey Votto Day.  Then maybe he finishes with Reds in play-offs in October.

The Reds have good young hitters, and if they can get Abbott, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Williams, Lively healthy and pitching, The Reds will have an amazing Pitching Staff. I'll point out that if Reds can get Abbott and Lodolo both pitching, the Reds will have 2 Tom Browning type lefthanders, because they both have a lot of talent and good southpaws are hard to find.

Diaz and Sims are very good, but they can not pitch every day.  There is still all of August and September to go.  Others need to log some end of game bullpen time.  If they are paced right, Sims and Diaz can get this team into the play-offs,  Sims is a top Holds Guy and Diaz is a top Saves Guy.

GO REDS.....Glad the bullpen got a much needed day off today.  Reds needed an off day.

I'm always split with Votto. He's been a great player for a long time now so I hope he retires a Red. Father time has caught up with him though. Perhaps they can convince him to retire and take up coaching or even broadcasting for the Reds..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote