Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July 2023 thread
(07-29-2023, 08:09 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well we won the first one. Williamson actually pitched pretty good. But here comes Weaver. The good news is Dodgers running a rookie out there with a 6.75 ERA so perhaps that evens it up a bit?

Still hoping they can get at least an average starter in trade to replace Weaver.

They seem to find a way to win when Weaver pitches which is more good news.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice Win last night

However don't expect a starting pitcher in a trade as deadline is ending.

We could use a bullpen guy, if a last place team wants to give up a bullpen guy. Reds bullpen has been worked to death.

As for starting pitching, Reds are getting starters back from Injured List in August, so by end of August Reds may have too many starters.

Don't look for any money put out in trades until The Moose and Votto highest paid Reds ever contracts end in November. And also until Reds can do the Books and see if they made money for first time since before covid 2020.

Hey, The Reds put out money for a good team. Then no fans in stands 2020 just killed small market Cincy who had some big contracts. Reds had no choice but to dump contracts. What Reds and Rays did right was they grabbed the minor league players other teams were dumping in 2020 due to no minor leagues. That worked out well for Cincy and Tampa. Reds have good young players and are winning faster than anybody expected. Besides no fans 2020, Reds had poor attendance in 2021 and 2022.

Reds not only are winning, but have had great attendance in 2023 as fans spend money, plus will be out from under Moose and Votto contracts in November and Reds have good young Pitchers and Hitters and Fielders going forward.

Just don't expect big money spent before the trade deadline any day now, the money ain't there to spend, not yet, but Reds are way ahead on the 2020 no fans covid rebuild. See, for money rich Yankees it is different, and teams like that. Small Market Cincinnati and Tampa in no fans 2020 grabbed all the minor league players they could, and both Reds and Rays are better off for it.

Nice Win last night. It's hard to win at LA Dodgers. Always has been.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Seems we may get both Greene and Lodolo back a bit sooner than expected. Sweet  Wink

Reds injuries and roster moves (mlb.com)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 11:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm always split with Votto. He's been a great player for a long time now so I hope he retires a Red. Father time has caught up with him though. Perhaps they can convince him to retire and take up coaching or even broadcasting for the Reds..  

It seemed like, the first few games, Votto was going to be able to contribute a good bit at the plate. But now, ummm, he's fell off to .188 BA for the esason. Last 7 games he's batting .115 with 1 RBI and an OBP of .179 They've got to take him out of the regular lineup.

He needs to DH like once or twice a week at the bottom of the order.

I want to see him go out strong, as strong as possible. Not stinking up the place and pulling the team down.
Reply/Quote
Elly holding the top 3 spots in home to 3rd. What a player

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/cincinnati-reds-rookie-phenom-has-the-top-three-spots-in-this-baseball-leaderboard/ar-AA1ewkGt?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4e11d002c616443a9957fd2f900b4578&ei=10
Reply/Quote
Man, I hate west coast trips. That game ended at like 2am Cincinnati time. The only reason I know that is because I watched Chatterbox's post game talk this morning and they said "wow, if you're still up with us at 2am, that's incredible."

Good win though.
Reply/Quote
Already some good news before the game starts. Braves put up 6 runs in the 1st on the Brewers.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 08:51 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Already some good news before the game starts. Braves put up 6 runs in the 1st on the Brewers.

It's now 9-1 Braves
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 11:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm always split with Votto. He's been a great player for a long time now so I hope he retires a Red. Father time has caught up with him though. Perhaps they can convince him to retire and take up coaching or even broadcasting for the Reds..  

(07-29-2023, 01:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It seemed like, the first few games, Votto was going to be able to contribute a good bit at the plate. But now, ummm, he's fell off to .188 BA for the esason. Last 7 games he's batting .115 with 1 RBI and an OBP of .179 They've got to take him out of the regular lineup.

He needs to DH like once or twice a week at the bottom of the order.

I want to see him go out strong, as strong as possible. Not stinking up the place and pulling the team down.

He has been stinking for awhile now, so not defending that. I WILL say though, that before yesterday's game he still had a higher OPS than De La Cruz (granted none of his speed) and still has a higher OPS than India and Stephenson. 

I don't think he's "pulling the team down" or in a place where he should only play 1-2 times a week. He's still 5th on the team in HRs despite only 117 plate appearances (he still has 32 less PA for the Reds this year than Jose Barrero), he has just had an absolutely dreadful .183 BABIP which indicates a lot of bad luck when you have a 90.6 exit velocity, bad luck that can happen when you're dealing with a small sample size. 90.6 is the highest exit velocity at least of the starting 9 on the Reds (only 0.1 faster than DLC, and likely will be passed up, but currently still faster, lol).

His K% is higher than you'd want, but his BB% is still over 10 and he's still hitting the ball hard... 
-His 2nd highest exit velocity of the statcast era 
-His 2nd highest hard hit % of the statcast era
-His 2nd highest barrel % of the statcast era
-The lowest soft hit % in his career

He hasn't been good, but he hasn't been so bad that you can replace him with just anyone and get better results, and there's a lot of indications that he will statistically rebound from some bad luck. Continuing to hit the ball hard eventually leads to good things. Not to prime Votto numbers, those days are long gone, but to a solid contributor, sure. Just needs to refind his oppo swing and let more of those balls fall in.

- - - - -
I do find it interesting that as soon as Votto dips below a league average bat (he's 3% below average right now), Kevin is suddenly an active poster in here again. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Weaver at it ....... again
Reply/Quote
Just when you think Weaver will get out of the first with no runs scoring.
Reply/Quote
The Reds would do better if they just wouldn't swing. They keep striking out on ball four.

Their hitting coach should be fired.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
So far, Weaver 5 ip, 1 hit 2 bb 1 so 0 er . . . ERA now currently at 6.78
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Pretty incredible how many times Steer takes a pitch that is clearly outside and it gets called a strike.
Reply/Quote
Opportunity to reclaim first wasted.
Reply/Quote
Keep expecting the offense to be exciting again like it was earlier, and it keeps not.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 11:26 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Reds would do better if they just wouldn't swing. They keep striking out on ball four.

Their hitting coach should be fired.

Here I go again LOL 

But what kills me is they'll take the first 2 pitches thigh high right down the middle and go down 0-2. Then start swinging at junk in the dirt and chin high, a foot outside.
Reply/Quote
Go figure. We can’t score more than two runs on the same night Weaver happens to have a career-best. Against a guy with like a 6-point-something ERA at that!
Reply/Quote
4 years ago today "The Fight" happened. This was the game against the Pirates when Amir Garrett rushed their dugout because they didn't know when to shut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxNhQjC098
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2023, 12:23 PM)cinci4life Wrote: 4 years ago today "The Fight" happened. This was the game against the Pirates when Amir Garrett rushed their dugout because they didn't know when to shut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxNhQjC098

That Pirates team was one of the thuginest, dirtiest, bunch of clowns ever in the history of baseball! I can remember many announcers and talking heads calling them out for being dirty. 
Reply/Quote